“Beautiful surroundings and friendly service”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Beautiful surroundings and friendly service”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Club Med Punta Cana resort is in a stunning location with its own private beach, only a short transfer from the airport. The ground staff are up early and work hard to keep the seaweed on the beautiful beach to a minimum, so it looks inviting, just like a picture post card, with white sand and clear turquoise water. I didn't see any litter at all. The same goes for the grounds which are green & lush with fabulous hibiscus & bougainvillea flowers and the expansive pool area with thatched umbrellas providing shade when the sun is at it's hottest. It really is a pretty resort and is enjoyed by all sorts of guests from families, work groups and single travellers. The GO's make everyone feel welcome and we were joined for dinner on several evenings by some very interesting characters including the new tennis coach Roger and the entertaining Eva from HR, Nelson & Ramon were fun too.
Barq the Chef de Village was in evidence every day accompanied by Giles the Sports & Leisure Manager who was very helpful answering all our questions and informing us of the day's events in his excellent English, as he soon realised our French needed some work! He has a nice way about him, quickly putting you at ease and making you feel like a special guest.
We enjoyed the crazy sign dancing - even joined in too a few times and did head to the night club afterwards to try some moves of our own (best done in a dark corner out of view). Really enjoyed the night club evening where they had the late night volley ball match between GO's & GM's while listening to the sounds from the beach party.
Tried Zumba with the energetic & talented Kimberley (great choreograhy in the shows), and did pilates & body sculpt too. Mainly concentrated on Tennis and found there much to be improved upon, so did lessons every day. When the group was over subscribed it wasn't a problem they just split the group into French & English speakers and got a second coach to help. Thanks to Nelson, Germaine, Ramo & all.
Things of note.
They spray the folliage which keeps the mosquitos to a minimum so we had very few bites. Still worth taking some spray with you for the odd crafty one that escapes.
The one afternoon we had rain the leisure team quickly responded by setting up the Baccalaureate quiz in the bar. By the time we'd finished the short sharp shower had stopped so we hardly noticed it had rained at all.
Dress codes while we were there included white, elegant, black & white, red, cappucino, black & pink and of course jeans & 45 T-Shirt.
The food had the usual excellent choice with Gala night (Friday) being the highlight , thanks to Hugo & his team for the excellent Lobster. We didn't have any trouble with food poisoning during our 10 night stay, but did avail ourselves of the sanitizers at the entrance to the restaurants. For a change we had a lovely simple fish (grouper) & chips at the beach bar where the very charming GO Leo was to be found.
Can't comment on the children's clubs as didn't have any need to use them, but only noticed happy children doing various fun activities while their parents relaxed so that speaks volumes.
All in all a brilliant trip so thank you once again Club Med and think my next one will be at a skiing resort as that works well too.
All the best from the 3NightClubbers.

Room Tip: Requested a quiet room with a high floor with a view and was given Pizarro. It was perfect really qu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank the3nightclubbers
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear the3nightclubbers,
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our Punta Cana resort! We’re so happy to hear you had a great time! It sounds like you took advantage of all of our amenities and activities from the beach party to tennis lessons. We value all of your feedback, and we hope you return to see us soon!

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We picked this Club Med because had heard wonderful things about their teen club Passworld. This vacation was a celebration for my youngest daughter's 16th birthday. I was a little nervous that she was going to feel that she was too old for this and that she would get bored because it was like "camp". The GO's are amazing with the teens and she immediately loved it. She spent all day and night having fun with all of the other new friends she made. She cried when we had to leave and wanted to stay longer. Having your 16 yo totally occupied and having fun made the vacation worth every cent. There is something for everyone in the family. My oldest daughter joined us from college in the East Coast and loved the unlimited access to all of the water sports. My husband and I enjoyed how relaxing and casual the resort was with lots to do, but very few decisions to make.
This is not the most luxurious Club Med resort. The grounds and the hotel look like it is time for some updating and renovating. The rooms are beginning to look worn. They seem to have a maintainance issue as many things in our room were either broken or non-functioning like the nightstand drawers, balcony door lock, drape pulls, lights, and the telephone. The resort is very large and spread out, so if you have a choice ask for a room closer to the reception and dining areas other wise you will be walking a long way to all of your activities and dining. Do not expect real air conditioning in any of the room - they are more like swamp coolers. And consequently all of the rooms and bedding have the smell of mold from the tropical enivronment and high humidity. To avoid the bugs and cockroaches that seem to be normal for this environment request a room above the ground floor. Overall the housekeeping does a good job of keeping the rooms clean.
The food was very good considering it has to cater to many different palates and ages. I especially loved the native Dominican food. It was so nice not having to worry about where to go to dinner every night. I also think that it would be nice if they had one sit-down restaurant that you could order from a menu, as they do in the Cancun Club Med.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the reception area and main pool and on a higher floor than the ground floo...
1 Thank JoyLuckKid
Dear JoyLuckKid,
We’re so happy to hear your family had a great time celebrating your daughter’s 16th birthday at our Punta Cana resort! It sounds like your daughter made some great friends during your stay! We love hearing that our resort had the perfect amenities for every member of your family. We’re very sorry that our accommodations were not up to your standards. We value your opinions and will be taking a closer look at all of your comments. We hope to see you back soon!

Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Went week of May 1st, 2012, Had a great relaxing time,,, food was good. GO's very helpful and friendly,,,great warm reception from beginning to end. special thanks to the Chefs and wait staff, the local people made this resort a very positive experience.

The only issue is the poor WiFi service,,, but I have to complement the front desk staff who removed it frommy bill, since they saw me there everydayat the front desk having to reboot into their very poor WiFi system.

One recommendation, put a ceiling fan over the bed,,,since we never could get the AC below 76 F degrees,,,this is torture for an American!,

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Fred T,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our Punta Cana resort! We’re so happy you had a great vacation and were able to relax and interact with our friendly staff. We sincerely value all of your feedback, and insure you that we will be passing along your comments. We hope you come back and see us soon!

Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Gorgeous! The resort is stunning! The beach and pools are wonderful. We went the first week in April, 2012. My 11 year old and 13 year old children did not want to have anything to do with the teen club.

G.O.'s- The Teen Club, called Passworld, is located at a skate ramp. It made Club Med worth the money! After my 11 year old became "lint" to my husband and I we decided to make them pick 3 activities that they had to try the next day. After much negotiation, my 13 year old daughter reluctantly agreed. The first day went so well that the second day she went to 5 activities and from the 3rd day on, I never saw her again. She spent all day and night with the other teens she met and the GO's. She cried when we left because she would miss everyone! Wanny, Audrey and Josue were amazing! My 11 year old son showed up at the first activity but didn't want to participate. Wanny picked him up and carried him into the game and said "We have another player!" From then on, he was hooked. They really liked the trapeze,hanging out with the other teens, movie night, and special daily activities, rehearsal for a dance performance and the performance itself.

Food- The restaurants were good and convenient. We liked getting dressed up in the colors of the night and going out for a fancy meal. Hispaniola has an amazing outside patio that we loved to sit at every night right on the ocean.

The Room- Space was great. We loved having a balcony off the main bedroom that had an amazing view of the ocean. The main bedroom had a very comfortable king size bed and the other room had two comfortable twin beds that converted to couches in the living area. The kids had their own beds. There was also plenty of fresh water to drink and a refrigerator for any food that was leftover from dinner. We always had fresh soft towels despite the fact that there were 4 of us. That being said, the room was not that fancy. It was nice but not spectacular. Ask for the building Cortes. Good location and ocean view.

Airport- Yes, we traveled during the busiest time of the year for Punta Cana, however, the airport is very small and was not able to handle the number of travelers. I have traveled all over the world and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. Long, long, long lines for everything!!! If you go to Punta Cana, pack your patience and expect long delays at the airport. Some people we met said that they wouldn't go back just because of the airport.

Relaxing- My husband loves to spend long hours on the beach relaxing. I, on the other hand, do not. I like it for a little while, but I get bored. I was worried that I wouldn't like the trip. There was so much to do everyday and every hour that there was no way I could get bored. Also, the beach was so relaxing and so beautiful that I loved it far more than I thought. We always had plenty of towels and found a shady spot under a palm tree to relax. Samuel was amazing and brought my husband and I drinks on the beach all day every day. Yeah Samuel!

Language- I travel to foreign destinations for the unique experience of a foreign country. If I wanted everyone to cater to me in english, I would have stayed in America. That being said, almost everyone spoke english. Good job, Club Med!

Internet- We paid $50 for the week for wi-fi in the room. It was worth it but reception was limited inside the room. It worked best from the balcony and was a little slow.

We would highly recommend the resort for families!

Photos- The photographers are great! It is nice to know that I can relax instead of run around and take pictures of my kids at events. We also paid extra to have family pictures taken on the beach. Worth the money. The checkout process for the photos is a little painful. Do it early and not right before you have to leave as it takes awhile.

Room Tip: Cortes had a beautiful view and was close to almost everything.
8 Thank cnafranks
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear cnafrands,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our Punta Cana resort! It sounds like your whole family had a great time! We’re so happy your children got involved in all of our great amenities. We appreciate all of your feedback! We hope you come back and visit us soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We went to club Med Punta Cana with high hopes, and 3 people whom we know and trust went the year before and said it was great. We have 3 kids under 7 so were looking for a relaxing vacation. The greeting at the hotel was very low key (not what I remember from going to club Meds as a child). Our room looked nice until we saw all of the mould on the walls. My husband is very allergic to mould so his allergies were terrible. We accepted the room (and the hotel was fully booked). Meals were definitely better than average but it would have been nice to have a non-buffet option, as getting meals from a buffet for 3 kids isn't super fun. The service in the restaurants was terrible. We routinely did not have a full complement of cutlery, napkins and glasses and it was usually hard to find someone to get them. If there was coffee in the morning, it was usually cold so we always had to get up and get coffee from the espresso machines. Overall, we spent most of our mealtimes walking around getting things.
The kids clubs were fantastic. The staff were incredibly high energy and I can't say enough good things about them. The beach was really nice and the weather was fantastic with only 1 full day of rain (thank G-d for the kids club). Tennis was pretty good. Lots of courts. We were at the resort for almost 2 weeks so the fitness classes got tedious by the end. Always the same class at the same time.
We were there for about 4 days before we saw our first roach in our room. We called the front desk (and they actually answered, which was very unusual. Usually it just rang and rang and no one picked up) and they asked if we wanted someone to come and kill it for us. No apology and certainly no surprise. We indicated that we wanted to change rooms and eventually they told us to come back the next day. We spent about 1.5 hrs waiting for someone to help us and actually do something. We finally got to see some rooms, most of which were mouldy. Eventually they showed us one not too mouldy. We moved into it, wasting the whole day. There were roaches there too.
In summary, the kids club and beach were great but the rest was poorly run. Staff don't know what good customer care is and they need to take care of the roach problem and get A/C with dehumidifiers for the mould. I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: apparently upper floors are less mouldy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank nicole i
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear nicole i,
We’re sorry to hear that you weren’t satisfied with your vacation at our Punta Cana resort. We pride ourselves on helping you create unforgettable vacation memories, and we apologize that our accommodations did not meet your expectations. We’re happy you enjoyed spending time on our beautiful beaches and that your kid’s had fun at our Kid’s Clubs. We very much appreciate your feedback and will look into your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

PA
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The location is amazing, the place is beautiful, the club med concept is as always great. When they say water sports is included - they mean it. No lines no hassle. But the is the second time my family visited the place and the second time we all got diarrhea!!! We spoke to othe guests - a lot of them. And the all had it too. My kids had it, I did - and I've traveled to India, middle east and many more places and didn't get it. We were in Punta Cana one other time at a different resort other than club med and had no problems. So it it not Punta Cana or the Dominican republic. It is the hygiene in this club med specifically. I've been to other club mess without trouble.
I would not return there nor would I recommend going there because of this problem and despite all the other advantages since you end up not enjoying it all when you and your family are I'll!
It is a shame.

15 Thank VengaViajar
Dear VengaViajar,
We’re very sorry to learn that you and your family were not able to fully enjoy your stay. Customer service is of the utmost importance, and we deeply apologize for your poor experience. We are addressing your comments immediately in hopes of bettering the Club Med experience for future guests. Thank you for alerting us to your concerns. We hope your experience does not deter you from staying at another Club Med in the future.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was our second trip to this resort. We had a great time last year and we were looking forward to another relaxing vacation.

My theme for the week was keep calm and carry on.

What we liked - CM PC has a beautiful location and it is only a short drive from the airport. When the GOs are good, the experience can be a fabulous one. We had our first dinner with a GO and had a great time. Mayker and Jonathan from housekeeping were wonderful dinner companions. I loved hearing about the club from a GOs point of view.

Barq, the CDV, was very friendly and was visible all around the club. He made us feel welcome in the club.

What we didn't like - The Kid's Club/Mini Club was a dud this year. Our group was the Speedies.The young women counselors were fine but, the young men were more interested in talking to one-another than actually watching the kids. More than once, my son told us he complained to the counselors that kids were fist-fighting or picking on younger children, himself included. He was told if the counselors didn't see it, they couldn't do anything.

The front desk staff is the weakest link. They are terrible! Rude, disinterested, bigoted. I watched as they treated French speakers with respect and then turned to non-French speakers and were horribly rude.

Air Canada lost our luggage for 3 days. Not the fault of Club Med. The front desk promised to call the airport and airline for us. We went to the front desk 4 times to check on the progress and each time, we had to re-give them our information. It was never recorded and no one helped. (keep calm and carry on) Don't promise us help if you don't plan to deliver. If we hadn't found the wonderful Marc in Customer Service, we would have never gotten our bags. He worked hard to find the right people and make the right calls. I tried to bring him home with us!

On Sunday, we asked for new pillows (ours smelled of mold). On Wednesday, I called housekeeping directly and got them delivered to our room within an hour.

Yes, the rooms are dingy and in some places, moldy. The club is in desperate need of a referb.

The WiFi is useless. We were two buildings away from a signal tower but, were only able to log in a few times.

I ended up with food poisoning. I am very careful about what I eat and observed all the usual traveler precautions. Heck, I carry my own had sanitizer! The food poisoning was so bad, I had to go to the emergency room when I got back to the states.

Suggestions for travelers - If you are looking for some peace and quiet, book a treatment at the spa. It is a very serene spot.

Bring all of your toiletries! The boutique is *very* expensive. Bring oen bottle of sunscreen per person, the sun is very strong and a severe sunburn can happen in under 10 minutes. Bring bug spray for evenings. The club does spray regularly but, a few get through. Shampoo, soap and conditioner is provided in the rooms. $22 for sunscreen and $40 for a t-shirt in the boutique.

People we loved:
Kevern - Mini Club
Marc - Reception
Vicky - Archery

These people made a tough trip bearable. They are examples of what Club Med can be when the GOs really care about the guests.

This was our last trip to CM PC. Too many things went wrong in one trip for us to want to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank ThatBrunette
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear ThatBrunette,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We apologize that your second visit to our resort did not meet your expectations or our high standards. Please know that we truly value your insights regarding our staff, WiFi and accommodations. We regret to hear that you became ill and certainly hope that you are back in better health. Thank you again for expressing your concerns. We are addressing your comments immediately.