“Still great 28 years later!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Still great 28 years later!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Club Med is brilliant! The pioneer in "All Inclusives," years ago they specialized in singles/couples. Then they realized that some of us singles/couples got married and had kids, they didn't want to lose us, so they geared some clubs to us former singles/couples, our kids and...even our grandkids! This was our 3rd trip to this club, the first before paved roads or the airport, and the first OUR kids and THEIR kids...3 generations! The club is better than ever, kid's club was great for 2 and 4 year olds, the circus school wonderful for those who can still do that sort of thing, beach and pool beautiful and clean, and the food surprisingly good for a club that caters to young families. No specialty restaurant but enough variety and nightly specials to keep everyone happy and full. And the photographer was great! Beautiful family pictures. Bravo, Club Med!

2 Thank drelspa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We (me - 44, wife and daughter -9) just spent 9 days at Club Med Punta Cana - Feb 27-Mar 7.
The trip was our first Caribbean vacation, and TripAdvisor was a good resource - I'd like to make it a great resource for you - for Club Med in Punta Cana. For those with kids - my review does not include anything about MiniClub or Kids Club as our daughter was more independent and did not take advantage of those services. (which were obviously very popular and looked well-run!)

Quick Summary - Ok arrival - OK room - Huge Resort - LOTS of kids - Mostly French - Amazing Beach, amazing activities, good/great food...and spectacular employees - a.k.a. "G.O.'s" (Gentile Organisateur) - Special call out to Cynthia, Dan, Adrian, Melanie and the entire Trapeze crew!!! Secrets at the end.

Arrival in DR is at a great little airport - with big fans (it's hot!) and long lines to check into the country. It seems more a formality than anything else, and very simple for us who were given "tourist cards" on our flight - for those without this needed to buy the tourist card ($10USD I think). The only issue upon arrival was finding the ride to Club Med. There are several hotel and travel "booths" in the main luggage area and Club Med is noticeably absent - to find your ride - you basically need to go all the way to the parking lot and look for the folks holding ClubMed signs. Once you do - you're in great hands. It's worth mentioning now that the departure is completely different and much slower. Patience will help you as you navigate the maze with people from all cultures to "check out" of the country. There is a decent food court for those who didn't indulge prior to arrival for departure.

Ah...! Arrival at the resort after a very short 8-10 min ride. We were fortunate to have our own van with no other passengers, and were quickly checked in and brought to our room! We did see busses arrive full of new guests and the staff greeting them with music, smiles and beverages.... what fun!

Our room was comfortable a little dated and simple - although it seemed small for the three of us, at first, it was all that we really needed. A little tighter for four people, but doable! Here's what you need to know most about your room - The cleaning staff brings you lots of water every day - use it. Yep, that's all really. The bed was firm - which I liked and my wife learned to like. There was a big closet with ample room for all of our clothes and a safe. The bathroom only had a shower (no bath) and the water pressure was ok, and the toilet was separate - which is something I need to consider for my house!

First impressions - and the first 24 hours. This is a huge resort. Heck, I could write a book on what to do, what we saw, what's important, what's not...things to look for, etc, etc. We were given great advice before we left - prepare to leave your room for the day. Pack your sunscreen, water, books and your hat in a bag and go! Food, drink and fun are all in the center of the resort, so there's no real need to return to your room - and if you did - it's likely a 20+ minute event.

Ok - kids...kids...kids...lots of kids - or so I thought. Its definitely a family vacation place and very kid friendly. After the first couple days, what I thought would be annoying...wasn't. Our daughter is nine years old, and we like having her around, so we didn't encourage the miniclub or the planned activities for kids. There are tons of activities, and we didn't do all of them, although, we tried! I will suggest that it would be nice if ClubMed updated their website with more info on the sports/activities, particularly the age groups that can participate. It wasn't an issue for us, but could be for you if you wanted to try archery....with a 9 year old.

French! So, my daughter doesn't speak French..she's a little shy, and ClubMed is a French company/resort. The week we spent there was the same time as the Quebec and France March Break...so the language was dominated by French. This changed a little as we entered a new week, but not much. The "GO" staff spoke English, so communication wasn't really an issue for an adult, but for a child...it could present a little challenge. I was surprised to see the local Dominican folks speaking French before Spanish... In any case - it was fun for me to practice both languages.

Ok - the fun! Activities. Must do's: snorkeling! Go to the snorkeling shack, get your fins and mask and start swimming - the stuff you will see close to shore will amaze! No need to pay for the one hour adventure ($40/person) We did go on the little trip and the sights were awesome. It was a little rough and the ocean-motion lasted a while...so choose wisely with little ones. Windsurfing! I tried and failed, then took the free lesson - which did the trick! Thanks Melanie for your help after the lesson! The wind is perfect for sailing...and the Laser boats are in good shape. Volleyball @ 4pm everyday - some games were better than others - but a great way to meet people. Zumba - Ok - I didn't do the classes - but they were all full...and looked like a fun. "Circus" - it's the trapeze, run by a bunch of "fun-loving" acrobats who put on a show of their own on Thursday night that was a must-see! - Tip - do this activity on Day 1 with your kid(s) and they will go back everyday to do it again - leaving you with an hour of freedom, or, if you are like me - time to enjoy watching your child do something new, learn and progress through the week...more and more fun each time! It's impossible to cover everything we did, and more so to cover what's available.....just get out there and do everything you can., before you know it, you'll be tanned (or burned), you'll have had a few adult beverages, you will have met a few new people....and then...it's time to eat...or, is it time to siesta.?

Food.... Three places to eat. Hispanola (more casual) and Samana and Celest (snacks/lunch). There are too many choices, if that's possible. We ate breakfast at Hispanola most mornings, and ended up packing a bagel/bread for a light snack later. At lunch at Celest snack bar most days because that's where we were...although, the lunch at Samana and Hispanola were much better/bigger, etc. We ate Dinner at Samana most nights - it was just a little nicer atmosphere than Hispanola. We seemed to arrive at 7:45pm for dinner each night and hit the perfect crowd....sooooo good.

G.O.s - The employees are awesome! We got to know of few of these folks, who had been with ClubMed for a few years (or more) and their stories are so much fun to hear. What I realize now, is that they are hosts...they participate in the activities WITH the guests, and take on the roll of organizer. They clearly work hard and play hard, which...for me...is exactly the kind of people I want to be around, all the time. Oh, and yes, they party hard.
To Dan and Cynthia - You made our trip really special. Thank you!

Secrets:
- Get the info sheet each day, or find them by the restaurants - notice the dress code! Makes it more fun in the evening.
- Go to the theatre each night at 9:30pm for a special show...some better than others - but always fun!
- Get up early to get a Palapa by the pool, or your "choice" space on the beach (with shade) - you'll want it!
- Photos - there are guys all over the resort taking pictures - go into the photo/computer room - located between Cielo bar and Samana - and see the pictures taken of you. Just remember where the pictures were taken, on the beach, the volleyball court, tennis court, etc.etc.etc. and you'll find pictures....You'll be happy you did - they are better than most pictures we took.
- Siesta - go back to your room at 5, 5:30 or 6...and take a 30 min siesta...that way you'll be in good shape for dinner, the theatre and the parties afterward!
- Parties - this place is electric... You'll dance to the song "Kulikitaca" (with Ramon singing!)...the whole bar is bouncing! By the way = the Celest snack bar becomes the night club each night! What fun!!!

Room Tip: Close to the village is a shorter trip to and from your room...that's all I know. we were in th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Chris H
Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Pro's:
A good value at about $150pp per night for all inclusive hotel, food, alcohol and activities
Property was nice and quiet at night, good for sleeping, no rowdy people
The beach was very pretty and pool was nice and big
The grounds were clean and well maintained
Our bed was comfy, good sized room with in room safe and ample large closet with shelves
CLose to the airport and well run airport pick up and drop off
The staff tended to be nice, helpful and professional
Ate lots of fresh salads and didn't have any digestive issues there

Cons:
The rooms looked tired and worn, scuffed paint, missing paint, stains on walls in bathroom, closet didn't close right, wobbly toilet seat, some old worn towels etc...
The rooms were superficially clean but that's it
The amenities weren't as good as Cancun CLub Med, especially snorkeling
The food was just ok and there are only two buffet restaurants , no waiter service like at other clubs
The clubs serves a majority of french speaking guests and the club employs a lot of french speaking Haitians. The Club didn't feel like we were in Dominican Republic
At times hard to find beach or pool chairs in the shade- they should have more.

3 Thank RhodeIslandPuppy
Guaranda, Ecuador
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The staff who work at this resort went above and beyond 100% of the time. The resort was beautiful with a lovely beach and pool area. I especially enjoyed windsurfing, archery, and the flying trapeze. Emily at trapeze was amazing and the dynamic dual of her and Devin, from mini club, to join us for dinners and drinks at the bar really made our time at Club Med. I cannot believe how friendly and outgoing these ladies where. They even made a point to join us for activities on the day off! The staff were exceptional and went above and beyond my expectations and really made this vacation exactly what we were looking for!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I came with a large tour group and the resort and their staff were incredibly welcoming. The resort is sprawling so there's lots of walking but that's a plus for us since it's easy to have a quite room away from the pool and entertainment. The crew that took us diving every morning were awesome. They convinced me to spend my week working towards my advance open water certificate and I'm grateful they did. Had a blast!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Claire R
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I am writing this on my last night here in Punta Cana. We have stayed here for 10 nights. The rooms and the grounds are definitely very dated. They need to be completely torn down and redone. Not only are the dated but the rooms are also dirty. They are only surface clean. If you look around you'll see dirt everywhere. When we first got here our sinks weren't draining. They sent someone that used a toilet plunger to get them going. There was nasty all over and they weren't even gonna clean all that bacteria and dirt that was left. I had to complain and they sent someone to clean up. I also had to complain for them to clean our entire room when we first arrived because like I said they do a horrible job cleaning.
I have yo say the staff if very nice and helpful. The camps for the kids are okay, a but boring though for my 5 1/2 year old. They swim in a kiddie pool that is not that exciting.
The food at the resort is pretty good, you have to pay if you want any decent alcohol to drink though. Club med overall is very cheap and they cut corners everywhere. Would not recommend and would never come back

2 Thank Svr123rud
Michigan
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Always like to start my review with a little background on myself. I worked for several resorts and restaurants in my miss-spent youth and have travelled to several countries and to many islands in the Caribbean. I have stayed at little shacks and at 5 star hotels and know what to expect at each, you get what you pay for. I expected this to be a 3-star resort and would have to rate it at 3 to 3.5, after my stay. For the price I paid, I found it to be an excellent value and we plan to return next year for another great vacation.
Friends of mine have been going to Club Med resorts for years and have always raved about how great they are. We decided to join them this year at the Punta Cana location. Prior to booking any trip, I always check out the reviews on TripAdvisor. Most were very good, however there were several that brought up concerns about the food and rooms. There will always be complaints, however most reviews were pretty good. We booked our vacation during Presidents week, February 16, as our kids were off school and the temperature was -10 in Michigan. The resort was fully booked and a staff member stated that not only was every room booked, but every bed was occupied as well. The resort is located on a huge parcel of land, not a small sliver, like many resorts in Punta Cana. It is located approximately 10 minutes from the airport, which is very nice for the commute to and from the airport.
I love food and worked at many fine dining restaurants in my life…the food we had here was excellent. There are two main dining rooms and a bar/grill. The main dining rooms are Hispaniola and Samana. We ate breakfast in Hispaniola, as it is next to the ocean and mostly ate at Samana for dinner, as the dinner food offerings were better than at Hispaniola. Breakfast offered practically everything one could want, except eggs benedict. An employee made fresh squeezed orange juice every morning…and the coffee was excellent and the coffee pot is left on the table, so no need to wait for a warm up. The breeze off the ocean at Hispaniola was a great way to start each morning. I read several reports about birds flying around in Hispaniola. It is an open air restaurant, what does one expect …. I saw that they only attempted to grab food, if a person left the food unattended…..At lunch they have a chopped salad station that made some of the best salads I have had. I would recommend looking for the “chefs special” each night at Samana. It is usually a fish and a meat offering that is perfectly plated and has all sides on the plate. The food was always nice and hot. I have taken food sanitation classes and witnessed no possible violations and none of us got sick. Friday night is grilled lobster night and they were grilled to perfection and I ate three….. Our friend’s son has a gluten allergy and the chef prepared him a special gluten free dish each night and presented it with a smile.
Our room was clean, updated and did not have bugs. The layout consisted of a queen bed and a separate room for our kids that had two small day beds and had a sliding door for privacy. The room had a renovated bath, separate toilet room and a large walk-in closet that was very nice for all our stuff. We stayed in the Columbus building which is near the kids club. The only fault with the room, is we had to ask for facial towels continuously. First place I ever stayed at where you had to ask.
The activities and staff for the kids are superb and by far, the best I have ever seen. Even at full capacity, the GO’s were everywhere. Activities for adults and kids are always at set times and many by age group. My 13 year old son took sailing lessens several times and the employees were always very friendly and helpful. Travis and Age, the people who run the sailing area did an outstanding job! I have an 11 year old autistic son and asked if were possible to get him out on a sail. They immediate responded, no problem…have him here at 10 in the morning tomorrow. Age took him out on a special sail and it made my sons day!
One of the best parts of this resort, which is only occasionally mentioned in TripAdvisor reviews, is the circus area. They have a trapeze set up and have instruction all day, for all ages. A GO named Manny runs it and has an outstanding crew working with him. I cannot remember all of their names, but all of them did a spectacular job! Again, when we mentioned our son and his special need and Mimi took the time to help him out, with a smile, and my son went there almost every day. If you have ever wanted to fly through the air….make sure you try this. I went on the second day we were there. I am 52 years old and after five practice runs, they had me flying through the air letting go of the bar and being caught by Manny and Travis. The training these people give everyone is simply amazing. They strap a harness on you and of course there is a safety net to catch you. I posted pictures and a video of this….MAKE sure you and your kids do this, trust me…….the photos and experience are priceless….Very sorry I cannot recall all of their names, as each one had qualities and they all made the guests feel like super stars circus performers!
The beach…….I am a beach person and the beach here is now my second favorite, the first is White Bay on Jost Van Dyke, BVI’s. What makes this beach is the size of it, 100’s of the “mature” palm trees, and of course, the powder white sand. I am a morning person and would get up every morning and walk it at sunrise.
The pool….there are several, small of gated facilitates for small kids that are very secure and safe. The main pool is huge and was always clean. As with most resorts, if you want a prime pool chair with an umbrella, you have to get there early to save your spot. Luckily for me, I am an early person….. There is not a shortage of beach chairs by any means, it just the prime pool ones fill up fast. There are hundreds of chairs along the sand beach at the ocean that have spectacular views and breeze. Unlike most resorts, the mature palm trees afford nice shaded areas.
I had researched day excursions and planned to go on several, however there was enough to do at the resort during our seven day stay, that we never left the resort. I did take a scuba dive and a snorkel trip that left from the resort. The scuba trip was $80 for a one tank dive, which is very expensive. I have dived all over and the going rate is typically $80 for a two tank dive. The snorkel trip was fun and only $35.
Internet….. I read a review that recommended Gobecan (google it) for renting a WIFI hotspot. $40 for the week and they meet you at the airport for drop off and pick up. Way cheaper and faster than the resort WIFI. In this day and age, the resort should offer free WIFI. The front desk staff was very nice, especially Mildred, who could answer any question I had and knew who to call if I had a special request. She even found a very particular shirt I was looking for, which was almost impossible to find…..
Shows…Each night, they have two evening shows which star the staff and some guests. Very good productions and the circus GO’s are unbelievable……….
Drinks…I will admit, the drinks could have been better. They were not bad, just not up to par with everything else at the resort. The beer is on tap and cold, but the rest of the drinks were very inconsistent. Some Mojitos were very sweet, others were not…..found out after 8 pina coladas…that you have to ask for rum in them…..then most of the time they just float the rum on the top, instead of blending it in…. the kids loved the endless supply of strawberry and mango smoothies….The endless supply of espresso and cappuccino was very good.
I would estimate that approximately 60% of the guests were French and a great deal of the staff were French speaking. At first, this annoyed me, however you soon get used to it and it is fine. There is always an English speaking employee around to assist and most GO’s are fluent in several languages.
I had one of the most relaxing and fun vacations in several years at this resort and have and will highly recommend it for families to go to. This is a family resort, if you are a couple looking for a quiet, romantic place to stay, this may not be the best choice. However if you have children and want a very fun and relaxing vacation, this is the place. The staff was great, beautiful beach, great sailing, excellent food and I learned how to fly thru the air on a trapeze….so I can always join the circus…if my current job is eliminated……!!!!!!!! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

13 Thank BarnicleBrad