“Not going back. Not worth the cost.”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Miami Beach, Florida
“Not going back. Not worth the cost.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Wife and I went for a conference that was set up by a university. French operated so many French speakers. "All inclusive, includes food and drinks and some activities) Food was excessively abundant but very mediocre and drinks were the cheapest alcohol. Grounds are very nice, beach and ocean is great. Nice snorkeling of the beach. Room was old and musky and not very clean. Small suite type with king bed, sofa area and bath. Toilet seat was about to fall off, burned out light bulbs and some old pills on the bathroom floor that were not vacuumed up. Did one paid excursion that was a big scam. Two and one half hours snorkeling to a "reef and a natural pool" with snacks such as sandwiches. We got a very slow boat ride along the coast to a non-existent reef (we saw more fish and coral of the beach) where they allowed 15min of snorkeling. The "snacks" were stale potato and corn chips and a couple of fruits. The "natural pool" was a sand bar just of the beach where we could stand up and have some drinks. We had fun because we were with a fun group but this was a big "bait and switch". The golf practice area is a putting/chipping green with nice artificial turf. The driving range is nice mats that hit into a big net. You should bring your own clubs because they only have a seven iron and the putters they have are putt-putt plastic putters.
The communications between employees is terrible. They screwed up our check out and wanted to charge us for stuff we did not buy. They just hand you a bill with out telling you what it is for and expect you to pay it. They also wanted to charge us for the taxi back to the airport when we had already pre-paid the transfer.
Over all very disappointed, especially since we paid $150 each ($300) per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mauri70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If your idea of a good time is playing sports, sitting on the beach, drinking, eating or sitting by the pool, this club med is perfect for you.

The beach is a long stretch of soft white sand by the calm, turquoise blue sea. Perfect water for kids and adults. There is sailing, wind surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and water aerobics at no extra charge. The pools are lovely. There is a large one for adults and kids and a second, shallow one, at the kids club area. We visited in the off season, so the were ample lounge chairs and towels.

Every day there is a list of sports options that includes tennis, bocce, archery, trapeze among other things...also all included. They have times for lessons, practice and tournaments. You can play sports you are familiar with or learn new ones. I tried wind surfing and my husband and daughter went on the trapeze. All the instructors were kind, helpful and patient.

The three meals a day are all buffet. There is a tremendous variety of foods from vegetarian to junk food. The bread and cheeses are fabulous. The food is fresh and it is worth trying new dishes. The white chocolate bread is sublime. Even my six year old daughter wars able to find items to her liking....fried chicken, broccoli, and pasta. Dinners alternate between two restaurants every night. It would be nice to have one dinner option that is not buffet.

Sadly my daughter did not enjoy the kids club. The instructors, called G.O.s were all lovely. The programming was good. I think she really just wanted to be with us. Would have been ideal if she had a friend or a sibling with her. We saw other parents who had their kids in club from morning til night and were able to spend quality alone time.

The we have a family room. It is not fancy, but it is fine for what we needed. The beds are comfortable. There is a separate room with closing doors for our daughter. There is a small balcony. We are in the Isla house. It is a little distance from the main lobby, but it is also quieter because of the distance. At first I did not appreciate being upstairs, but after a week I think it was good. Less noise, no bugs.

Here is a partial packing list for future trips here:
Waterproof suntan lotion and lip balm
Long sleeve light shirt to wear over bathing suit
Snorkel mask - they have, but I would have liked to have had my own
Hair Conditioner - there is none given in the rooms!!
Bug spray
Water shoes for in the ocean if you go boating or snorkeling
Body lotion for after sun - they give some, but not the aloe cooling type.
Umbrella - it rains a bit every evening

The hotel is only a few minute away from the airport. It is a very easy trip down here from NYC. Less than a 4 hour direct flight. Club med booked our flights and transfers. I could not find better deals on the flights when I searched the web separately before booking.

IMPORTANT note: when we arrived in customs were were almost sent home. Apparently you CANNOT enter The Dominican Republic if you do not have over a month before your passport expires. My six year old daughter only had 20 days left on hers and the customs agent, after much discussion, told me he would only stamp my passport if I gave him $50. I felt I had no choice, so I gave it to him. Make sure your passport does not expire until 30 days after your trip!

My experience with club med headquarters was a nightmare before I left. The night before our trip my club med online account had NO record of our flights or our trip. There is NO after hours agent to help. Or vacation was saved by calling the punta Cana resort directly and fortunately they had our arrival info. I booked our trip directly throughout club med. I am truly disappointed with that service. Not only did they not have record of our trip, but they booked us a flight with all three of us in separate rows in the airplane. Make sure you confirm your flights, your passports, and your seating a few days before you are supposed to leave.

All and all, I would come here again. Despite the corporate mishaps, the service on the property has been very good. We are all sad to leave. It is a very easy place to make yourself at home.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank KJKNYC
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Thank you to Adele and the wonderful staff at Punta Cana Club Med. I was worried about kids ( I went with friends), but as expected the mostly French and Belgian guests had the most well behaved and delightful kids. The only downside I find to Club Med is the alcohol. I swear it must come from a distributor that specializes in the smallest proof on the market. I had one drink offsite and felt it. At club med, I could have 5 and it wasn't even touching us.

Thank You!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a balcony and the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My favorite part about this resort wasn't the pool side drinks or the huge swimming pool but rather pass world other known as the ramp. I am 12 and I enjoyed pass world so much I cried when I had to leave. After your stay you will know the meaning of pass world is not to get away from parents or go to the beach but to get to know the other people at the ramp many from different locations and countries! I personally got to know all of the people at the ramp and I still talk to them and Keep in touch. But what I would really like to say is thanks to the ramp I couldn't have asked for a better vacation I had do much fun and you should also visit this awesome place enjoy and relax -Erika Holzer ps. I follow my cat on Instagram

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Erika_holzer
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We just came back from our stay in Punta Cana and it was amazing at all levels !!! we went in for with our 2 kids aged 11 and 13. I would say from day one, we got into the groove and became completely relaxed. It is not a coincidence, these organizers and GO's are over the top competent, engaging, extremely nice and joy spreading people.
It is very obvious that they all love their jobs, and not doing it out of duty.
We were very nicely greeted by the trident 5 staff lead by the amazing Crystelle, an accomplished class act lady. Thank you Jessica, Marie Claire, and Vicky. Our unit was very comfortable, spacious, with full amenities, overlooking a piece of paradise. The bar staff at the tiara were precious, personable and very courteous. Nods to Natty, Stephanie ( the cutest smile, we miss you ), and all the rest. Especially, our faithful and delightful beach man, whom I forgot the name.
My husband, who previously vowed he will never try golf or like it, became a convert thanks to Pablo !!! excellent pro and teacher ! I even took one lesson and was able to swing all my shots.
Pablo, very humbly, gave me the credit for it, but I know that it was his expertise in teaching that made all the difference. He is a natural!
The tennis team is very competent and fun. They created a fun, competitive environment full of camaraderie and laughter. Thank you Eddy, Ramon and Nelson. Ernest is still talking about you :)
Thank you you Stephan for the zumba classes, pilates and aqua gym. I thought I was going to die after the first day, but I kept it up. Your enthusiasm is contagious :)
I had the privilege to meet with Kris the director of Sports at PC club med for a private swimming class. Kuddos Kris! where I was this uncoordinated tangle of limbs splashing in the pool, my so called swimming, i am able now to semi glide with a little more coordination, and this is after one session. I will keep remembering your tips Kris " les jambes ensemble a la fin comme des aimants " Thank you Kris !
Thank you Gui-gui and Joshe, and all the rest of the GO's who ran the teen " Ramp " activities ( wink Devon ), including the Trapeze Team. That was a big highlight in our stay. You were amazing ! This is the first time we go on a trip where my kids prefer to stay with their peers and team leaders, instead of spending sometime with us. We had our kids only during downtown time, and that says a lot about you.
The Food was beyond wonderful. I wish I asked for some recipes, like the blackened mahi mahi with blueberry sauce...Every night was a delightful new experience with different theme cuisine, not forgetting the classy champagne cocktail at the tiara every evening.
All in all, I would say that everybody worked very hard to make our stay very pleasant and turn it into a unique experience.
You GO's are fantastic ! You set the tone and are the heartbeat of the place.
Our time went by very fast, but we will be back ! hugs to all !
Thank you, thank you and big Thank you

Sylvie

Room Tip: Tiara is the way to go. The upgrade is worth every penny !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sylvie B
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fair is fair...a 2.5 is the best score. Here's the thing....it was nice and I would never say we regretted our trip there. That said, if you are looking for a reasonably priced beach destination and plan to spend most of your time indulging yourself with the amenities at the resort, it is a pretty good place. For what we paid, much was included, the facilities were comfortable enough and the food was more than passable. As such, for the beach-seekers, I would guess that you might give this place a 4-star rating.

If, however, you are looking for a more complete in-country experience, I suspect you may be somewhat disappointed. That is, DR is still a somewhat emerging tourist destination and does a good job of attracting visitors via price and other incentives, Yet, if you want to travel outside the resort and do some additional excursions, there are likely far better destinations. As such, we found ourselves at the resort for most of the time and it started to wear a little thin after a while in terms of what to do.

so, my opinion is that it is really a matter of what you are looking for. If it is a fairly comfortable place on the beach were the food and drink are good and comes at a reasonable price, then this is a good destination. If you are looking to be more adventurous and see what else the DR has to offer, there are other destinations that I think would be better suited to you.

For what its worth.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gojushiho
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just got back yesterday. We picked this time to travel as we are a couple and try to avoid being at a Club when children are out of school. However, there were a lot of small children but all were well behaved and we tremendously enjoyed seeing families having a great time together. Our overall experience was awesome. The excellent tennis team headed by El Capitan--Ramon with Nelson and the very extra special, Eddy, who will be leaving Club Med in July to move to France with his new bride--Eddy,we wish you the best!! This fabulous group gave lessons daily, organized tournaments, danced with everyone at night, hosted a special tennis group dinner and, always, seemed to be there to make sure we were having a great time. Also, loved Aqua Gym in the pool and ocean and I had never tried Zumba but could not resist after seeing the awesome time everyone was having in the palapa on the beach. The enthusiastic Stephan made it fun and easy and I am looking at home to starting Zumba lessons at home but will always have my memories of the great time of Zumba at Club Med in the ocean breeze. The GO's MAKE Club Med. We can talk about the good food, absolutely beautiful landscaping and romantic beach with the swaying palm trees but the reason we go to Club Med is the GO's and all of the activities--it is what sets Club Med apart from all other resorts. Thank you, Abdel, for being everywhere and remembering us each time with a Polish "hello" and Nathan, General Manager of the Hotel, for making sure everything was "good" with us. This is my 7th Club Med and we are planning our next trip--maybe back to Columbus Isle, maybe Cancun but it will be a Club Med!!!

Room Tip: Mariposa was close to the mini club and the restaurant. Large, comfortable rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple