“Trip taken June 15, 2014 through June 22, 2014”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #42 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Monmouth, Illinois
“Trip taken June 15, 2014 through June 22, 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I traveled with my sister & her 2 children, age 15 & 8. We flew Spirit Airlines out of Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale to Punta Cana. Great flight times for values, unfortunately the seat assignments is a joke. From our arrival at Club Med to departure, we received professional service, helpfulness, and a great attitude from the staff. Both kids really enjoyed the Mini Clubs for their ages, experienced everything that they had to offer & made new friends. I enjoyed a back massage at the L'Occtaine Spa & the Spa associates were very nice, my sister & children did an extra excursion of snorkeling and had a great time also. We really enjoyed meeting several of the GOs including Devin in the Mini Club & Nancy in reception. These ladies were excellent in their positions & Customer Service. The food was good & always good choices. I would suggest with the hotter months, they pull in some more cool air for one of the two dining rooms after a hot day in the sun. Saturnino in the restaurant managing was always very welcoming. I wish there would have been an email heads up on the theme nights/color nights ahead to better prepare our wardrobe packing. The beach is phenomenal & the pool for the regular guests is great also. We do not speak French or Spanish but we were able to communicate any requests we had just fine. A smile with your request goes along way for those travelling who do not speak the language but most of the employees do speak English. I would recommend a weeks vacation here to any family for fun, sun & relaxation!

Room Tip: Main pool hands out blue towels & diificult to find an open chair if people just leave towels th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Melinda B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Travelers:
42 people, 10 families, ages from 2 years old to about 57 years old. Most of us are in our 30-40's with about 2 children each.

Arrival:
The transfer service is great and they provide you with an envelope with your room key before you board the bus to the resort. Quick and efficient.

Petite & Mini Club Med:
My kids 5 and 2 were not fans of the mini club med. The staff were great and attentive to the children. They remembered their names after only 1 visit. I was impressed with how hard they tried to make my Juliana feel comfortable (despite her crying for some time). The down side was it cost $100 usd a day for the petite club med. Pricey for babysitter but worth it if you never get alone time.

Accommodations
Wow! We got regular rooms and some family members got the Tiara suites. If you have the money, spend it on Tiara. The regular rooms need some serious updating. We stayed in the Iguana building and our room smelled of urine and had some mold/mildew smell the entire time. I even sprayed my perfume to try and mask the smell but it always came back. The maids kept the rooms clean and tidy, but the walls and fixtures need updating. The bathroom tile has mildew in the corners and just looked gross to me. I would describe them as best western quality. I always stay at a Westin or Hyatt so this was definitely below par with what I'm accustomed to.

This is where my review should be the RED FLAG for all future visitors. 5 of us got sick (stomach pain, chills, and diarrhea) . Most likely from the food. That's over 10% of us. Sadly we didn't even enjoy the fly covered food which was just about the same everyday. The Celeste is their only "after hours" restaurant with a limited menu and closes at 12:30am. Also, you can't order room service unless you're in a Tiara suite. Oh but they do charge a fee for room service there. Talk about nickel and diming.

Drinks
Really cheap cheap cheap liquor. Presidente beer was not bad. I stopped drinking when I got food poisoning midway through my holiday.

Entertainment
Well for the price and the audience, I didn't expect much here. This is your typical cruise type of hard working entertainers who do their best to make the show good. Of course we are spoiled and can watch live cirque du soleil shows anytime in the states. I see the GO team mostly in the front desk area when people check in, otherwise they're really scattered around the resort or just not seen beyond that time. I didn't care for the activities so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Pool and beach
I was told June is considered their low season but they expect to be fairly full the week we leave due to the July 4th holiday. With that I can say the pool and beach area being fairly empty was not normal. However, we weren't always able to find a chair in the shade. WTH right? They really did not have enough shady areas for the low capacity this week, so next week will suck for some. One thing about the pool bars, the bartenders were great and it was AWESOME the kids were able to just walk up and order a daiquiri for themselves. They were very nice and friendly people. With that, it would be nice to have some pool side service. Another peeve is the way the pool is shaped, if you are on the opposite side of the pool, you have to walk all the way around to use the restroom or get a drink. Otherwise you have to walk towards the beach and go to the Celeste bar. They need a bridge so people can cross the pool easily, a water slide of sorts, and more shade around the pool area. Perhaps some plants to shade the pool because EVERY inch of the pool was in direct sunlight.

Overall the trip was good but by day 5, I started to miss home and the better food I could find at home. I honestly don't mind paying more if I know the quality of the food and accommodations are better. We paid about $1100 a person for 7 nights at club med. Air cost $850, so it was almost 2K per person. I was at the Westin in Maui this past April and I spent half that price. I didn't get sick and enjoyed the beach and food so much better. All inclusive resorts are convenient for the lazy travelers who don't want to plan so I can see the appeal. It's just not for me.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Sherry C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

It was one of the best holidays we had in a long time!
Everything was perfect from the beginning to the end: the food, the resort, the activities and excursions and of course de GO who made us more than welcomed!
there are activities for everyone and we recommend to try: Golf, archery, fitness classes, trapeze, kayak and snorkeling...
A special thank you to: Romain (Golf Manager), Watson, Kris (Sport manager), Luu, Julio & Enmanuel (circus team), Alex, Rajiv (Restaurant Manager) and a lot more... :)

We definitely recommend this place!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ElodieEB
Tenafly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

All the food is perfect. The beach is gorgeous and all the excursions are fantastic. 5 stars! No doubt about it! The teen center is great and so are the other Kid Clubs. This trip is just... amazing. Jaw-dropping views. Pool and Beach. Paradise

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank jtisthebest123
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Wife and I went for a conference that was set up by a university. French operated so many French speakers. "All inclusive, includes food and drinks and some activities) Food was excessively abundant but very mediocre and drinks were the cheapest alcohol. Grounds are very nice, beach and ocean is great. Nice snorkeling of the beach. Room was old and musky and not very clean. Small suite type with king bed, sofa area and bath. Toilet seat was about to fall off, burned out light bulbs and some old pills on the bathroom floor that were not vacuumed up. Did one paid excursion that was a big scam. Two and one half hours snorkeling to a "reef and a natural pool" with snacks such as sandwiches. We got a very slow boat ride along the coast to a non-existent reef (we saw more fish and coral of the beach) where they allowed 15min of snorkeling. The "snacks" were stale potato and corn chips and a couple of fruits. The "natural pool" was a sand bar just of the beach where we could stand up and have some drinks. We had fun because we were with a fun group but this was a big "bait and switch". The golf practice area is a putting/chipping green with nice artificial turf. The driving range is nice mats that hit into a big net. You should bring your own clubs because they only have a seven iron and the putters they have are putt-putt plastic putters.
The communications between employees is terrible. They screwed up our check out and wanted to charge us for stuff we did not buy. They just hand you a bill with out telling you what it is for and expect you to pay it. They also wanted to charge us for the taxi back to the airport when we had already pre-paid the transfer.
Over all very disappointed, especially since we paid $150 each ($300) per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mauri70
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

If your idea of a good time is playing sports, sitting on the beach, drinking, eating or sitting by the pool, this club med is perfect for you.

The beach is a long stretch of soft white sand by the calm, turquoise blue sea. Perfect water for kids and adults. There is sailing, wind surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and water aerobics at no extra charge. The pools are lovely. There is a large one for adults and kids and a second, shallow one, at the kids club area. We visited in the off season, so the were ample lounge chairs and towels.

Every day there is a list of sports options that includes tennis, bocce, archery, trapeze among other things...also all included. They have times for lessons, practice and tournaments. You can play sports you are familiar with or learn new ones. I tried wind surfing and my husband and daughter went on the trapeze. All the instructors were kind, helpful and patient.

The three meals a day are all buffet. There is a tremendous variety of foods from vegetarian to junk food. The bread and cheeses are fabulous. The food is fresh and it is worth trying new dishes. The white chocolate bread is sublime. Even my six year old daughter wars able to find items to her liking....fried chicken, broccoli, and pasta. Dinners alternate between two restaurants every night. It would be nice to have one dinner option that is not buffet.

Sadly my daughter did not enjoy the kids club. The instructors, called G.O.s were all lovely. The programming was good. I think she really just wanted to be with us. Would have been ideal if she had a friend or a sibling with her. We saw other parents who had their kids in club from morning til night and were able to spend quality alone time.

The we have a family room. It is not fancy, but it is fine for what we needed. The beds are comfortable. There is a separate room with closing doors for our daughter. There is a small balcony. We are in the Isla house. It is a little distance from the main lobby, but it is also quieter because of the distance. At first I did not appreciate being upstairs, but after a week I think it was good. Less noise, no bugs.

Here is a partial packing list for future trips here:
Waterproof suntan lotion and lip balm
Long sleeve light shirt to wear over bathing suit
Snorkel mask - they have, but I would have liked to have had my own
Hair Conditioner - there is none given in the rooms!!
Bug spray
Water shoes for in the ocean if you go boating or snorkeling
Body lotion for after sun - they give some, but not the aloe cooling type.
Umbrella - it rains a bit every evening

The hotel is only a few minute away from the airport. It is a very easy trip down here from NYC. Less than a 4 hour direct flight. Club med booked our flights and transfers. I could not find better deals on the flights when I searched the web separately before booking.

IMPORTANT note: when we arrived in customs were were almost sent home. Apparently you CANNOT enter The Dominican Republic if you do not have over a month before your passport expires. My six year old daughter only had 20 days left on hers and the customs agent, after much discussion, told me he would only stamp my passport if I gave him $50. I felt I had no choice, so I gave it to him. Make sure your passport does not expire until 30 days after your trip!

My experience with club med headquarters was a nightmare before I left. The night before our trip my club med online account had NO record of our flights or our trip. There is NO after hours agent to help. Or vacation was saved by calling the punta Cana resort directly and fortunately they had our arrival info. I booked our trip directly throughout club med. I am truly disappointed with that service. Not only did they not have record of our trip, but they booked us a flight with all three of us in separate rows in the airplane. Make sure you confirm your flights, your passports, and your seating a few days before you are supposed to leave.

All and all, I would come here again. Despite the corporate mishaps, the service on the property has been very good. We are all sad to leave. It is a very easy place to make yourself at home.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank KJKNYC
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Thank you to Adele and the wonderful staff at Punta Cana Club Med. I was worried about kids ( I went with friends), but as expected the mostly French and Belgian guests had the most well behaved and delightful kids. The only downside I find to Club Med is the alcohol. I swear it must come from a distributor that specializes in the smallest proof on the market. I had one drink offsite and felt it. At club med, I could have 5 and it wasn't even touching us.

Thank You!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a balcony and the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends