“Sporty holiday in the Caribbean”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
London, United Kingdom
“Sporty holiday in the Caribbean”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had an amazing sporty holiday in Club Med Punta Cana. Lots of tennis, snorkelling and sailing. The GOs were incredibly charming, keeping me entertained with mojitos and bachata dancing. Cusine wise, I found the local dishes a tad on the salty side. I recommend sticking to the international dishes. Do try the massages in the palapa huts. Bliss! Don't turn the air conditioning on too low, less you catch a cold. Thorough recommend this tropical gem!

Room Tip: If you are travelling solo, choose rooms on the trapeze side. They are closer to the sports activiti...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Culture-nomad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I went to Club Med Punta Cana for the first time in 2013. It was a great stay. I met people there that I am still in touch with today. It had a great impact on me. The food was amazing. If you go yo have to try their white chocolate bread! Oh my goodness I can't say enough about it. The room was pleasant for me and my family. Wish I was there right now. I will be going back. The staff was great, they came to our table and ate dinner with us, we learned a lot about each other. It was just an all around great experience! When you go don't forget about the white chocolate bread! Makeep sure to get the recipe!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Karen M
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at the Club Med Punta Cana for 9 days at the end July/beginning of August with 3 teenagers. Our stay couldn't have been more perfect.
The staff at Club Med are delightful, there is always something going on and even when there is an occasional shower they have an activity organized within 5 minutes.
We stayed in 2 standard family rooms next to each other, not interconnected; but that's not a problem with teenagers. Due to the set up of the Club we had to walk about 5 minutes to the main bar and restaurant (less to the Spanish restaurant), but a walk in the beautifully kept gardens with all the bright colored buildings is hardly a punishment. On the way back there is always the option of taking a 'taxi' in the form of a golf buggy (no charge!).
The food was great. Even on the beach there are GO's walking around with fruit trays and checking if you'd like to drink something.
While there our 2 eldest went horse riding and loved it. They also did scuba diving and tubing which were both very well organized.
As a family we went to Sanoa (by catamaran)....what an amazing day. Our guide was brilliant and the whole day was extremely well organized. An absolute must!
My only suggestion to the Club Med staff would be to make the whole resort smoke free. Unfortunately there are still people who don't care about children (and grown ups!) inhalating smoke from cigarettes.

Room Tip: With small chidden it may be wise to ask for a room close to the main building.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank travelwithkids_13
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Grew up going to this place a lot and going back gave felt awesome. Great for families and groups looking for peace and quiet in the Caribbean with a French touch. Food, beaches, drinks, rooms everything is yum!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jiev16
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were here for 7 days. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa with beach view. We had family stay in a 2 bedroom villa with out beach view. I would do the beach view, room was a little bigger. Our rooms would never get cool, at all! If we closed the door where the kids slept, then our room didn't get any air flow! It was soooo hot! Im from Texas and I'm used to that and it was hot to us!
Our shower leaked water out the side all over the floor every time someone took a shower. 4 of us had to shower everyday. That made a big mess! Our room and family members room both had a welcome letter in our room with an invite to VIP party, we were not VIP members and it had the wrong names on it. Everyone who came in on a bus had a neat welcoming song and music and cold towels, we didn't get anything. On the website it said there was complimentary wifi in the Lobby, but we had to pay for it and it was very expensive!! This is a French resort. Which is fine but we did not know this. Everyone there spoke french. We were the only 9 people that spoke english, so it was very difficult to make new friends and communicate with people. The music was the exact same every night. It was pretty boring. The food was so disappointing. It was almost the exact same every night. Everything was covered with flies and we even saw a nastily little roach climbing on the omelette station. The drinks at the bars were dominican only. You could buy Moet and Cavet for a very very high price!!! We paid over $100 american dollars for a $35 bottle of Moet. We signed up for all of our excursions ahead of time because they fill up pretty quickly. So the lady told us she would work ou our receipt and give it to us the next day. When we went to pick it up it was way more than what she said. She said she was sorry she quoted us in Euro$$ and that she couldn't change it. We went to the front desk and they said they could not help us. She totally ripped us off by a few hundred dollars. If we would have said we didn't want to pay then they would have just charged our card on file anyway. If you want to lay out by the pool you have to get up at 6 or 7 and hold chairs. The TV's in the rooms were so fuzzy you couldn't hardly see them. We called to have someone come look at them, and they never did. There were bees in the soda machine down by the beach snack bar. The whole time we were there they never changed our sheets, they only came in and remade the bed and picked up the dirty towels. The club med app didn't work either. For the crazy expensive price you pay to stay here, it's defiantly not worth it unless you know french and don't like good food and drinks. We will never stay at another Club Med ever. I wish I could get my money back honestly. I had a great time with my family though. Just the things you pay for they didn't not have great quality.

Room Tip: Ask for beach view close to the main lobby bar area or you will have to walk pretty far to do anythi...
13 Thank aer8301
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have been in several Club Meds before and the Punta Cana club is one of the most beautiful I've seen. As this was a special family occasion, we stayed at the Tiara in a family suite and the service and extras couldn't have been better! Christelle and her team looked after us in every possible way and made sure that our stay was exceptional. Special mention to Castillo at the pool, all the Tiara bar staff and reception team. The rooms are very well appointed and have a wonderful view to the ocean.
Restaurant: Most of the time we ate at the Hispaniola restaurant outside on the veranda (where you always get a table if you are staying at the Tiara) and the food was good, but a bit less good then in other Club Meds.
Mini Club: We had the mini club nearby and our 2 children went pretty much every day for half a day or so. One of the big problems for non French kids at Club med is the language barrier. Because although one mentions that the children don't speak French, the GO's tend to revert to French (which is entirely normal if 80% of the kids are French). Special thanks to Devin for making our girls feel at ease and being always happy! The activities are very varied and it would be a suggestion to have a dedicated English speaking GO and put all the English speaking kids in that particular group, there are usually enough children to do that.
Tennis academy: We really enjoyed the tennis programme and courses. My husband went to most tournaments and we made lots of friends. Thank you to Ramon and his team for making is so welcome and special mention to our teacher Jensen (vamos arriba!).
Circus: I have fallen in love with the flying trapeze and it's an activity which I do regularly whilst at Club Med. Punta Cana has a fantastic circus team and I'd really like to mention all of them (Manny, Ray Ray, Emanuel, Julio, Elisa and Hugo) as they went out of their way to teach me and encouraged me to progress. One thing which I found particularly good, is that compared to other club meds, you were allowed to take part in the "Catch" every day, contrary to other clubs where you can only "catch" with the position you are working on.
Shows: We particularly loved the circus show and the Michael Jackson one. But also the Mini Club Show deserves a special mention as Tom Tom and his team put a lot of effort into it and make it really nice.
Excursions: We only did 2 as the prices are expensive (and I agree here with what other reviewers have said). Swimming with the dolphins and we hired a boat one afternoon. Both were great.
Scuba Diving: The scuba diving is very well organised and the prices are fair. The equipment is really well maintained and our dive master David made sure that we felt confident and made the most of our dives.
Just a note on the weather. We had been told, that it rains a lot in July. That's so not true. We had rain 2x, 10min and 5min aprox and some thunderstorms at night. That's it! The weather stayed around 30degrees, so not too hot, but quite humid.
Overall it was a fantastic holiday for the whole family. The whole Club Med formula works for us at the moment and if you take advantage of all the activities & sports I think it's good value for money. All the staff was exceptionally friendly too.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, stay at the Tiara, it's worth every penny.
4 Thank Kerstin M
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is our 2nd year to go to Punta Cana. We had a total of 10 family members 6 adults, 2 teen agers and 2 younger children. We stayed in the Tiara suites which I highly recommend. If you are a tennis player they have a great tennis program with clinics in the morning and tournaments in the afternoon. The language is either French or Spanish and English is a minority. The main GO did not socialize with the Americans as he did not understand English or speak it very well which I thought was not right. The food is okay with plenty of selections, the only thing was the birds that flew around the restaurant and if you happened to leave the table the birds would land on the plate and try to eat the food. The entertainment was okay the only thing I would suggest is having it earlier especially if you have children. I wish they would have some excursion to the city so we could do some shopping.

Room Tip: Pay the difference and get the Tiara Suites. It is well worth the money.
2 Thank Pam K