“Great Vacation !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
aurora
“Great Vacation !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

Wejust came back from a wonderfl place...The Club Med...
Before booking I had a lotsof hesitation as I did'nt hear much good about ClubMed's but because of the activities they were offering for teenagers and kids, I went ahead and book the trip.
And I have no regrets!
We travelled with my teenage daughter andmy 5 year old. Wehad a 2 bedroom suite right on the ocean, it was great. We had a private swimming pool and a computer in the room. The suite that we were in were linked to the concierge desk (not the front desk) so we had special service...
All the people we so friendly ans always ready to help you . They were all so great with children and full of patience.
There are so many things to do over there you will not be bored... the only regret is that there is only one store.... It would be nice to have more choices and little bit less expensive.
I really enjoyed that place and especially the staff.
Restaurants always have lots of choice and great french style food. The buffet are well organised with windows covering the food so you don't get those people snezing or coughing on the food !
Great place!

• Liked — ocean view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank timelo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

We are 39 yr old parents with son (6 and 19 months). I have read the reviews and must say that I do agree with the majority of negatives.

However, lets start with the postiive, this is a great place for kids, my 6 yr old did archery, trapeze, roller blading, and generally had a super fantastic time wtih all the kids he met. He was with abotu 10-12 kids each day, some French some English. The G.O's (instructors) are great, that is if you can find one that speaks English well. Those that don't do try except for a few GO's who were just dismissive.

The kids facilities are top notch and we spent much time with our 19 month old in the play area as it was fenced in and he could run free. i did pay extra for the Baby Med but regret it as it was a waste of money. Generally, the kids play under a tent in a small area, than go for a nature walk in strollers, than lunch (we always signed him out) than there was nap time, snack time, pool time (which they never did all week) instead they played indoors or under the hot palapa (tent) than it was 5:30 sign out time. Boring..... honestly we did not go to a hot spot for him to spend all his time indoors, we basically had in there for a total of 5 hours all week, just to get him accustomed to us leaving and coming back for him, but my suggestion is save your money. That being said there were many parents who left their kids from 9 to 5:30, many crying for mommy. There are many French people as this resort caters to that group, there were 80% French people there, so I suppose this is an acceptable arrangement.

The beach is fantastic and they provide many beach toys so please do not bring any. Do not forget anything as the boutique is useless! and there are not shops around for miles and miles.

The food was great in the Samana restaurant, it is buffet but made to order on many meals, the food was always fresh, but yes during lunch there were many flies. We sat mostly iin the baby room with other parents that ws great, as we did not feel uncomfortable if our 19 mth old made a mess.

The guests were very nice, at least the parents, many were French but I found them very good with discipline and the children were well behaved, the older French are not at all friendly, and I believe incapable of smiling. They seemed to be intolerant of children, but than why go to a family resort. I found many times trying to negotiate a stroller wtih a group of older men watching me but nobody got up to help, quite suprising. The mothers on the other hand and fathers were always helping each other to keep an eye out for each others kids which was very nice. The french parents spoke English well and were very friendly. After all, you have at least one thing in common, kids.

The Negative i have to say is that the management, is awful, shameful. I have had better customer service at a Days Inn on the side of the highway in Syracuse for crying out loud!!! Before we even arrived Club Med customer service called our house 9 hours before our flight to say sorry we made a mistake, we billed you but did not actually book your seats, but we did make the room reservation, so if you can get to the airport and get seats you should be OK, have a nice holiday, goodbye. Now, what do you do with a messge like this at 8 pm when your flight leaves at 6 am?

My travel agent was fantastic and called the airline who did confirm that there were a few seats available but to be there early to make sure we get them as the reservation counter was now closed. So here we are no sleep because of anger, frustration and fear we go to the airport with our kids and have to pray we get seats, which we did. Club Med did not do a darn thing to help, they should have called the airline and further there was supposed to be rep at the airport to help us but it turns out since we were the only four going to Club Med that day, they did not feel it necessary to show up. Jerks! we are still fighting it out with them. Needliess to say the first few days of our vacation were ruined, not because they made a mistake but because they could not care less to do anything to fix their mistake, still waiting for the apology.

The front desk is a group of nasty individuals and if you do not speak French even nastier. Check in was terrible, no hello just here is a map and here are your keys. We were supposed to have the Baby Welcome package in our room, stroller, crib, but of course nothing. When we called the front desk they said they were busy now and to call back???? what, at this point I just wanted to go home. After being up for almost 24 hours they could not even give me a crib, considering we were up because of their mistake. After 3 phone calls, the last one I finally got an English guy and I gave him a few stern words, I had my crib and stroller.

The only saving grace this company has is that the GO's, the front line workers are awesome, management can learn from them, they are fantastic, in the kids program, and bar areas. However, in the dining room the wait staff is useless, I cleared my own plates.(these workers are not GOs)

The GO's were very personable and outgoing, they new the kids names and always say hello when passing you. Though, there was one that was a nasty piece of work in the Baby Club that would look right through you if you did not speak French.

I would go back because my son loved it and the GO's make the trip, just God forbid you have any issues that need to involve management and the front desk, useless is a complimentary word for those people.

Clearly, service is not alwasy based on how much money you pay, but the facilities for children are worth every penny. It made me proud to see my kids playing and being carefree.

• Liked — Kids programs, beach, GOs
  • Disliked — Mangement, front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hubby2boys
Bergen County, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

My husband and I and our 2 year old son booked this vacation because it was a family resort and this it was. I would not recommend this to anyone who does not have children. My husband and I booked the petite club in advance because we were told there was limited space and it turned out we did not have to do this ahead of time. I would have preferred checking it out before spending the money on it. We thought we would leave our 2 year old son for a few hrs each day but this was not the case. We could not leave him with a bunch of crying kids. After experiencing this I realized that at this age it is not a good idea to leave them with complete stangers not to mention that they spoke mostly French and this was just foreign to our son. I also was not happy that they had no type of pager system. Our son has a food alergy and I was not comfortable leaving him during meal time because I did not know if they really understood the severity of it and If there was a problem there was no way of contacting us. When I suggested a pager system they looked at me like I was crazy. So I would highly recommend bringing a phone that works in the D.R. or walkie talkies. On a positive note the older kids seemed to be having a great time and the facilities for the children were terrific. We could have used them without being part of the petite club.
As for the food... Not good. I had called up Club Med before we booked it to ask if there was a restaurant that was not buffet and I was assured there was. This was not the case either. There were two main restaurants. One was on the water and the other was near the lobby. They say that the one near the lobby was better but for us the food was the same in both and the only difference was that the one on the water was outside and had a nicer ambiance but more birds eating off the plates in the morning. Both restaurants were total buffet morning noon and night and both infested with flies which was gross. There was one cafe near the beach that served a choice of 5 of the same items daily for lunch that was good but very casual.
As for the rooms they were very nice but you could not lock the door from the inside so our son escaped the first 5 minutes of being in the room. From that point on we had to baracade our door with our suitcases each time we came into the room.
The pool was nice but there was no wait service to bring us drinks poolside, only a lot of topless women that should not have been. The beaches were beautiful but again no wait service. One afternoon we took a boat trip that we really enjoyed.
The staff was great everywhere and tips were greatly appreciated being that most of the Europeans do not tip. I highly reccommend bringing small bills for tipping because I was unable to make change anywhere in the resort. Even at the front desk.
I guess I could say it was great spending time in the sun together as a family. I do wish I never did the petite club and I do wish there was a better selection of restaurants.

• Liked — Beaches
  • Disliked — food
1 Thank Roccoandroll
NEW YORK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

I traveled to Club Med Punta Cana with my parents from 1/10 - 1/17 and we had an awesome time. This wouldn't have been our first choice b/c I'm in my early thirties and my parents are in their 60s and 70s - and this is a club with lots of kids, but we still had a wonderful time. We all really like to play tennis and were VERY pleased with the quality of instruction during the tennis clinic. The exercise classes were fantastic and the beach was totally beautiful. Our rooms were very nice and comfortable. We all felt completely relaxed when we got home. We each had a swedish massage on our last day in the village and it was fantastic. I've summarized some helpful hints in the bullet points below.

Club Positives:
1) The beaches are fantastic
2) The facilities for children looked top notch
3) The Club is very close to the airport and there are lots of easy flights from the NY metro area
4) The staff was fantastics
5) I exercised like a maniac and lost five pounds on my vacation :-)
6) I easily didn't participate in any night time activities

Club Drawbacks:
1) My dad did get sick from something he ate or drank on the first day, but the doctor at the Club was fantastic and gave him some meds and he was feeling better in no time
2) Some of the families (particularly non-english speaking ones - OK the frenchies) let their kids run wild and be total brats at meal time. If you are not used to having kids around, this could be very annoying.
3) I easily didn't participate in any night time activities

• Liked — THE ROOMS
  • Disliked — THE CHAIRS IN THE RESTAURANT ON THE WATER
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank SEASONEDTRAVELER3
Hastings on Hudson NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

My stay was from 1/12-1/17.
I came to this club with my 18 yr. old daughter to visit my GO daughter.
Beautiful grounds,fabulous food and magnificant beaches.
Our weather was perfect!
We had a special holiday present for 2 massages. This was the best massage I have ever had. It seemed to last forever! The setting was in a hut on the beach. The staff was very accomodating and the area was both comfortable and relaxing.
I did not bring a young child but having a GO working with the mini club I was privy to see what it was about. The facilities are very impressive with lots of rooms for different ages with a lot of toys & sports equipment. I noticed the cleanliness of the facility and the bright paint & pictures hanging on the walls. The outside area is fenced in & very large with 3 different pools,outdoor play & sports equipment with a waterslide & mushrooms and even a train to play in. I was very impressed with this setting. I can assure all that schedules are followed, staff is accountable and parents have the option to hang out or leave their children in very capable hands.
I also saw the teenage facility with inside & outside lounge areas,computer access, games and staff available to accomodate their needs.
There is also a circus facility and a roller blade area.
All of the children have an opportunioty to take part in the many shows & events.
In the 5 nights there, the children performed a few times, singing,dancing & having a ball. I was vey impressed with how quickly the children learned the dances & songs.
The very talented GO's perform in all of the shows and direct & create all of the children's show's .
The adult shows were very entertaining & of course the GO's do their crazy signs & hands up routines for all which is very lively & fun!
The after hours bar was a lot of fun with great latin music/pop music & themes done up in the area.
All of the GO's are there to help you have a good time.
Most of the guests were French with children & it was interesting to see family interaction.
I enjoyed the excersize classes in the morning and late afternoon by the beach. I tried not to miss the 4PM ZUMBA class.
There is an abundance of water sports available. Snorkling was considered an excursion and not included which was dissapointing..
Other than a few dissapointments, like the q line at the front desk with not enough help & the broken safe in my room that never got fixed or the telephone line not connecting in my room ,this is a great vacation for families with kids.
I do know that this club will again have renovations & I suggest putting in fans to divert the flies in the dining rooms & also something to divert the black birds flying around.
I also would like to see a swim up bar and a ramp over the enormous pool to get from one side to the other rather than having to walk around it to get to either the bar or beach.
I would like to compliment Jeff. Lilli and Dana for running a very smooth & exciting club for kids & teens.
All of the GO's here work very long hours and I applaud them for the wonderful job they do to entertain & pamper the guests!

Stayed January 2009
Batimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We just returned from a week at the Club Med Punta Cana (1/3/09 to 1/10/09), and had a wonderful experience. This was a first trip to a Club Med, traveling with our two young children ages 18 months and 3 1/2, and we were not disappointed.
The resort is large and beautiful, boasting a lovely beach, calm ocean waters and beautiful grounds. The kids pools/water slide and playground were excellent and provided hours of enjoyment.
We enrolled our kids in the baby/petite clubs before our trip, and found them to be clean and well staffed. We spent a lot of time in the mini club area using the pools, playground etc, so we got to observe the staff and the goings on. We did not end up leaving our 3 year old in the petite club because she wanted to stay with us, but we did use the baby club for our 18 month old for his afternoon nap, allowing us to enjoy the resort during the afternoons instead of being stuck in our room. We also visited the petite club together several afternoons for the various end of day activities so that we could visit with other families with small children. I understand the comments of other reviewers about crying children in the baby and petite clubs, but I think this is a function of the children's ages, and not the staff, who seemed attentive. Many small kids understandably are upset to be left in a new environment, and parents have to make the decision about whether and how much to use the clubs. It was clear that the "older" young kids (4+) loved spending time with the GOs in the mini club, and you could see them partaking in activities with the GOs throughout the resort. We were able to arrange for a babsitter in our room several nights after the kids were in bed, so we could have some time to ourselves. If the kids were a bit older we would have used the pyjama club instead.
We stayed in a club family room, which was clean and basic, but not at all luxurious. The club was kind enough to place us in a centrally located building on the ground floor because my husband injured his leg the week before our trip.
We thought the food was very good, with plenty of variety for the whole family. We particularly liked the offerings at the Samana restaurant, the Hispanola seemed to offer more casual fare. Because of the comments of other reviewers regarding food related illnesses, we avoided fresh fruit and vegetables and experienced no significant problems.
We thought the atmosphere of the club was excellent, the employees/GOs were attentive, friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed meeting families from around the world.
Pros: outstanding beaches and pools, great family-friendly atmosphere, plenty of varied activities for the entire family
Cons: club rooms are very basic; we wished that one of the restaurants opened earlier for dinner to accommodate our small kids

2 Thank Baltfamtraveler
Carrboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

After reading the other reviews for the Club Med, Punta Cana, I question if I stayed at the same resort! We had a completely positive experience and were there the busiest week of the year -- the post-Christmas week which runs through New Years Day. We were an extended family of ten, ranging from age 75 to age 5, and a fabulous time was had by all. Yes, there are 1600 people there and yes, there is NO REASON to frequent this resort unless you have children. However, appreciate the fact that you are in a foreign country. Yes, there will be employees and guests who do not speak English. This is a fabulous opportunity for you and your children to learn a few words of Spanish and French. At least one quarter of the guests are from English speaking countries (we asked at the front desk) and all of the G.O.s (counselors) speak at least English and French. I did not find the language barrier to be a problem! If anything, it was FUN to be surrounded by people who came from different backgrounds. At the Spa, which is quite beautiful, I had a delightful massage by a woman who only spoke Spanish. We had no problems understanding each other by using basic hand signals and the very few words of Spanish that I know. My eight year old son enjoyed every minute of his trip and readily made friends with children from all over. Most guests are French, but the children and their bilingual G.O.'s appeared to learn from each other without any misunderstandings. I will say that my eighteen year-old daughter found that the French teenagers do keep to themselves and did not volunteer any English. However,
she agrees that it makes for more of a "vacation" to be surrounded by people of different backgrounds. If everyone spoke English, we might as well be in Florida!
POSITIVES: 10 minute ride from the airport;
incredible water activities (windsurfing, kayaks, sailing, swimming, perfect weather and sea temperatures);
unique land activities (beautifully run camps for kids of all ages, including circus-like activities, like a trapeze); plentiful and yummy food; friendly and helpful staff; fun "shows" at night which spotlight the kids; VERY comfortable beds!.
NOTE: The Camps are structured so kids can come and go. Some attended for as little as one hour a day. Others chose to be there for the whole day. Lots of flexibility.
NEGATIVES: Slow check-in; rooms are not spotless; some litter; snorkeling is poor due to surf; not enough beach chairs; not enough treadmills; SLOW check-in at Punta Cana airport. Allow two hours and bring a pen to fill out forms!

There are smokers, but there was PLENTY of non-smoking seating in the restaurant and the "quiet" beach, near the kayaks and snorkelling rentals, was less crowded and generally smoke-free. We did not experience ANY bugs, sickness from the food, or rude staff as other reviewers have implied.

The negatives are a pain for parents -- but the kids won't notice. Your children will have an incredible time! There were many, many families there with multi-generations -- grandparents, children and grandchildren. I can not think of any other place I would go that caters so beautifully to the needs of such diverse ages. If you are thinking of taking an extended family trip -- this is THE place to go.

• Liked — Perfect place for an extended family (grandparents, children, grandchildren)
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family