“Don't go if you don't take kids!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Don't go if you don't take kids!”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Having been to several other Club Meds, we were very disappointed with Punta Cana. A beautiful location and the rooms were quite adequate, if you get close enough to the activities you are interested in. Despite pre-travel request for a room close to reception, we were stuck a good mile (or so it seemed when having to walk it several times a day) from any activity. Finally after great persistence, we were moved to a more desirable location after 2 days. As one American stated loudly, when her family arrived and were also given a room far far away, "If I was French, I wouldn't be treated this way!" Definitely the case. We didn't feel the Americans were treated as well as the French ; it's very obvious. Also, almost EVERYTHING there is focused around kids (I have never seen so many strollers!) so leaves a great deal to be desired if you don't have children with you. Even the evening entertainment, which starts at 9:45pm, seemed to be kid-focused. On the positive side, there are great classes (water aerobics, samba cardio, circus, roller-blading) and a good disco every night at the beach bar. My daughter was able to go horseback riding on a nearby beach, which she enjoyed immensely, but this activity is not advertised as part of the packages offered; you need to be very persistent with the reception folks to get them to call about making the arrangements. Also, be prepared to pay to go on the snorkeling boat. Club Med started using a private company to arrange snorkeling trips, as of January 1 (which we didn't expect, since this activity was listed as one provided by the resort). Food was okay; better at the restaurant farthest away from reception. At the main restaurant, there were flies everywhere, including on most of the food, which was seldom covered. No wonder everyone was getting sick. There were signs posted warning about a gastro-intestional outbreak and a few hand sanitizing gel dispensers but few people used them and many guests put their hands all over the food and in the ice buckets. We carried a small container of Purell with us and although it probably seemed a little neurotic to be using it so much, none of us got sick. If I ever return to D.R., I would go to another resort.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
laval, quebec, canada
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Club med Punta-Cana 2009 review

Meteo
The first 4 days were a mix of rain and sun 50/50. Sailing, kayak and snorkeling were close because of strong wind and a lot of current. But the last 3 days looked like a postal cards.

Buffet
The buffets are very well and there are a lot of things to chose from, meat, fish, seafood, pasta, fruits. There is also very good bread and pastries. Do not miss the seafood and fresh lobster Buffet, it is very nice. If you can not find something you like I don’t know what you eat home. In our group of 6 persons out of 3 got stomachache. We did not succeed finding the exact source of the problem.

ROOM
Very beautiful room but for me a room this is to sleep and have s.. I even did not open the TV.

Site
Very beautiful site all is renovated and all is in working order. (No renovation). The gardens are very beautiful and well maintained.

Activity
I think I did them all: aerobic, volleyball, kayak, sailing, archery, trapeze, dance lesson, pool games, coffee games, and ALL the crazy sign. They gave me a Go badge where you can read "Fred super GM". The sport team is very nice and the Go are full of energy. Pool Games lacked a bit of originality. I would have liked to do the kayak race, gladiator, or the pulls kayak. But I was told they are not doing it because of the GM not participating.
Fitness
The aerobic courses are great. There always is between 10 and 40 persons. Mary ève and Wesner transmit their energy to the GM and you really want to dance with them. Trapèze
Robin, Emanuel, Oneil and Moise are making a very good work. They are professional and always likable. There is not any French-speaking GO but their French is rather good. Sailing
Try it it is very fun there is always nice wind.
Kayak
Take solo kayak it is easier to surf the waves.
Diving
Watch out they charge 40$ for a 10 min the refresh in the pool + 82$ each dive.

Ambiance
With more than 200 GO in the club the mood always is to the party. The problem is the GM that do not participate. During our stay the animation team decided to do some crazy sign before the spectacle. There was more than 100 GO on scene and at the bottom of the scene that danced and only 5 or 6 GM. Strangely after the spectacle the people participated more 50-75 GM.

At the disco this is the same thing. The 1st evening the GO had a meeting. Disco was almost empty, 30 persons of which a dozen on the dance floor. When the 100 GO arrived from the meeting you could really see the difference. I found that there was really more GO man than woman. Therefore if you are single and if you to look for a companion for the week, you will have the competition of SEVERAL GO more tanned and more muscular than you. Good luck.

At disco do not miss Jonathan the god of the tectonics. It is really impressive.

The club moves away from old club med style. At the resto there is less big table. You sometime need to reserve your big table in advance. If you want to sit with other people you need to ask the girl to do so. If not they are going to find you a table for 2. One morning I ask to GM if I can join them and they told me they preferred to eat alone. Hello this is club med

Beach
The beach is spreads on about 1 KM. There is plenty of space in the sun and in the shade.

The bars
Find yourself bartender that understands you well. The local ones have certain difficulties with the language. They will not know what to do if you do no choose a drink from the "menu"

The children
The children are so well to surround that you wonders where they are. I believe the mini-club does a very good work keeping them busy.

The Shows
Do not miss the circus show in the theater, it is really spectacular. This week we had a new show but they really need to work on it. But the other spectacles are entertaining not more. Choreographies are not complicated and you can feel the lack experience in the dancer. We are far spectacle Janet Jackson to Colombus or Moulin rouge at Cancun.

Crazy sign.
I never have enough. We had 2-3 crazy sign the noon has the swimming pool (5 days on 7). And Crazy sign the evenings before and after the spectacle. We even had some Crazy sign at the disco one night. There are several new songs that I never heard before. Personally I prefer the classics. I also found that some were simplified (hand up) and other censored (muevelo). The problem always remains lacks of participation from the GM™. Luckily there are many GO™ .

GO™ .
Here the list of the great GO™ of this year
Mary eve (fitness), Charlo(tennis) (TENNIS), Yan (??), Jonathan(DJ), Andy(sport) (SPORT), Pascale(reception), Isabelle, Celina, Sarah
(baby club), Patric (bar, wine) I HOPE to find you on facebook.

Photo: Ridiculous …12 Euros the photo. At the price we pays it should be included.

Conclusion
Despite Club Med™ upscale move the club keeps a festive mood thanks to the GO™. There is a very small minority of party animal like me in the GM. Without the GO I would have felt very lonely. There is a good participation in the different sports. You want to see some photos. www.superfred.ca/voyage.html Click on the Punta Cana photo 2009 other photos + video to come soon.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank superfred
new york
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Just got back from Club Med Punta Cana and it was great in every way. Hadn't been to Club Med in 20 years so I did not know what to expect. Every one of us (2 adults, 3 kids) had the best time. The activities were great, the rooms were better than I expected, the food was amazing and the staff was terrific. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank erikjan
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed 18 February 2009

All-inclusives are great when you have little kids. We usually rent a house somewhere for our vacation. But we also come here once a year (at least, so far) for a real 'vacation' from all the work involved in family life (laundry, kitchen duties, cleaning, etc). We love this place for the time it gives us away from the kids and the way it makes it easy to spend time with the kids. As they get older, they enjoy the kid club even more: our 7 year old rode a catamaran almost daily, tried archery, trapeze, tennis, basketball, yoga, dancing, swimming, etc. Our almost-two year old got a lot of attention, a shaded play area, a nap room, and a stroll around the grounds in a covered buggy. They keep them very busy; bedtime is very easy!

The GOs are really great; upbeat and warm. My children have at times cried and said they didn't want to go when we dropped them off in the morning but they recover when the activities start. (The kids are very easy to keep an eye on as they walk around the resort: you can drop in at any time to see how your child is faring or even stay with them all day if you are so inclined.) I've watched people decide to keep their protesting kids with them instead of use the camp they paid for (not happening in our family!), but I would go so far as to say these club med vacations have helped my kids learn to be comfortable when faced with new kids and make friends easily.

The resort has been revamped and has lost some of the goofy club med stuff that was kind of fun: theme nights at the restaurants, for example. The beach bar is now so upscale you can't get a hamburger, unfortunately. The restaurant food is fine: plenty of healthy options. The wine isn't drinkable in my opinion (my husband disagreed).

We will likely return next year DESPITE the GI bugs we all contracted this year. I don't know why club med doesn't address this issue! They have put sanitizer at the entrance to the restaurants but I didn't see many people use it. A bottle should be at every table. Also, they should have servers dishing out everything, rather than letting thousands of grubby hands pick up the spoon and put it back, letting it fall in the pan of food for someone else's grubby hand to fish it out again. For some reason this year it was really grossing me out. It's not the water making people sick, or poorly-prepared food. It's the self service! Blech.

The resort must have been at capacity and was still pleasant. If you like sailing sunfish or windsurfing this is a great place. Lessons are free!

Some reviewers have complained about the French language used at this French-owned resort. For us, the French contingent here is a positive for our family! We would much rather hear French than another New York accent, though there are plenty of those here, too. For the kids at camp, it's *almost* like a French-immersion school. Again, we see this as a real bonus.

The spa is very nice. The new family rooms are located right on the water and are beautiful. Sadly, they are only for a family of five or less. For the six of us, we had to book a connecting room that was not on the water. It was, however, a great set-up for our family.

Club Med would do well, though, to add a few American-style concepts, such as The Line. Check-in would be so much more pleasant and relaxing if you didn't step out of the taxi into a cluster of people and have to jockey for a spot at the counter. It would be so easy.

4 Thank Patricia H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week at Club Med Punta Cana with our 3 year old and 8 month old. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite that has a private infinity pool overlooking the ocean. Beautiful. However, I wish we had gotten to enjoy it. On Day 2 my 8 month old became violently ill, vomitting throughout the night with horrible diarrhea. We assumed it was something she ate, which was all from the buffet (the only type of meal served). The next day we went to the doctor who said she had some kind of parasite and prescribed Spanish meds that I had never heard of. Over the rest of the week my son, husband, and I all had vomitting and diarrhea. It was horrible and completely ruined our trip. Apparently this Club Med has an outbreak of the stomach flu every year around this time. Funny how no one ever mentioned this to us when we booked our trip! It seems to me that they need to get better at sanitizing the resort. The Kids Clubs are only sanitized once a week! How can you prevent illness if babies are all chewing on the same toys all week long, without them being cleaned?? Not to mention the restaurants, where the service was awful. Plates were rarely cleared, and the food was recycled night after night. The only shining light were some of the GOs, particularly MiMi, who took a special interest in our children.

What good is a beautiful resort if the entire family becomes deathly ill while on vacation??

Needless to say we will not be returning to this Club Med.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Quick Summary: I read all the other reviews so I wasn't expecting much when I got there. The resort is 5 minutes from the airport yet I never heard an airplane fly over. When I arrived, I found the grounds and buildings to be immaculate, and the staff helpful and friendly. Check-in was easy with a bar nearby! The room was a 10 minute walk from the center of things (food, drink, pool), which was kind of a pain, but I needed the excercise after the thrice daily stuffings at the buffets. The room was a little smallish, but we didn't plan on spending much time there anyway. It was very clean with excellent bedding to my surprise. There were three dining options: A big buffet place, a medium sized buffet place, and a beach bar where you could actually have something made for you, although your choices were extremely limited. I think you could get a kabob, salad, or ham and cheese. Back to the buffet: They tried really really hard to be "gourmet". I appreciated the effort as the food was consistently a "B". However, after day three, I was sick of picking though buffet food with 5,000 others. I like to go to restaurants when I'm on vacation. This was it for food choices, there was no other options there or anywhere near the resort . Not the end of the world though.

Positives: Kids club was unbelievable. If you have kids that you don't want to entertain, or be with, go to Club Med Punta Cana. Beautiful grounds, nice staff.

Negatives:
Many, many people were sick or knew someone that was. Some sort of stomache thing that is rampant. Bring immodium if you go. Eating buffet with all this going on grossed me out I think.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — buffet
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have to start by saying that nobody in our family got sick. We went with our sons (ages 8 & 10) and nobody had any stomach issues. We did not drink from the water pitchers on the tables at the restaurants. But we certainly had water in other forms.

We thought we would balance our days by spending time with and without the kids. However the kids rarely wanted to leave their mini club activities during the day. From basketball & archery to pool & beach activities, they loved the mini club. They made friends and they loved the GOs. Occasionally they would visit us to build sand castles or to go kayaking. They didn't use the mini club in the evenings except to participate in the mini club shows twice.

The beach was so nice. The water is beautiful and the sand is smooth. I enjoyed the Club Med Fitness classes both in the water and in the group exercise "hut" on the beach. We never sat by the pool. I only used the pool for the 11:45 water class.

I shouldn't have been surprised at the number of small children at the resort. After all it's a family resort. But you will notice crying and whining as the toddlers will get tired and fussy. And you may dine next to a high chair. You can request to sit away from the very young ones at Samana. We never made the request but sometimes the hostess would ask if we wanted to sit away from the high chairs. We ate breakfast at Hispaniola (spell?) because our room was near there. We ate both Lunch and dinner at Samana. We sat at the Cielo bar before dinner and sometimes after dinner. Some nights the entertainment was fun. Other nights it was less interesting but good enough.

I love Club Med and it was my first Club Med vacation in almost 20 years. I was not disappointed.

2 Thank lmc4393