“Excellent week”

Ranked #43 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Des Moines
“Excellent week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

It is difficult to meaningfully add to the comprehensive reviews immediately below, but since I read so many negative reviews prior to my trip, I thought I should put in my two cents here. First, before getting into specifics, I feel compelled to emphasize that we (my 7 yr-old daughter and I) had none of what I will call the "French issues" so often described in these reviews. We loved that the resort was full of diverse guests -- mostly French, Canadian and American, but with some German and Latin Americans thrown in. We didn't feel that we had substandard level of service due to the fact that our first language is English v. French. And I was impressed at the ease at which GO's managed 2-3 languages at a time. We had a few bad service events, but frankly, I chalk that up to the all-inclusive atmosphere and the fact that its not the Four Seasons or Ritz -- nothing related to our "American-ness"! I do happen to speak fluent Spanish (but not French), but I don't think this was the "secret" to our good experience. I don't like to sound harsh, but will reiterate what another poster said below -- do not travel to a country where the spoken language is not English if you want an "English-only" environment.

More specifics -- 1) This is a beautiful resort with a gorgeous beach, pool and open air bar/sitting area (Cielo); 2) The kids club was beyond all my expectations. My 7 yr-old daughter is a "momma's girl" and not a big fan of spending time apart. She didn't even take to the Disney Cruise kids club that much, and that is supposed to be great. But she loved the Mini Club Med, although she only spent mornings there, as we jointly decided that we would have our own time in the a.m.'s and then spend each afternoon together. The kids GO's were just fantastic -- so fun, funny and caring. And contrary to many previous comments, my experience was that they all were fluently trilingual, and made a special effort to include everyone, regardless of first language; 3) the fitness classes in the a.m. were really pretty good -- not typical "resort-style" mild cardio for ladies that lunch. The cardio-boxing class in particular was great; 4) spa is beautiful, although the prices are somewhat high (unless you are from NYC or similar); 5) the rooms are simple, but clean, roomy and modern -- they fit the bill for us, particularly since we only were there for about 1-2 non-sleeping hours per day; 6) apart from the restaurants (which did get chaotic at times), the resort never seemed crowded or overrun with people -- and we were there during prime spring break time; and 7) this is a fabulous place for a single parent to vacation with children.

A few negatives: 1) No, the food isn't spectacular, and sometimes its downright mediocre, but it met my expectations for an AI. AI's are not known for fine wine and food...period. If you want that experience, choose something besides an AI; 2) the service at the beachside snack bar (Celeste I believe) is particularly bad -- and its the only place where I had some encounters with rude staff; and 3) I didn't think the excursion choices were all that great, and seemed expensive. But this is more an issue with the Punta Cana location than Club Med itself. PC is not that convenient for off-resort sightseeing. But I knew that prior to going, and we were there for a beach/water vacation. Still, its worth noting that this is a negative for some as compared to Mexican Riviera or even other Caribbean island resorts.

2 Thank Tigregirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

From beginning to end the trip was great.

My 3 kids (daughter 15, sons 13 & 11) left on US Air from Montreal...not being used to US carriers, I wasn't expecting the "checked baggage" charge. I fly mostly Canadian flights that have movies or TV, this flight had neither. The airline personnel were freindly and professional.

Arriving at Club Med was great. Greeted by one of the G.O.s checked in promtly, then off to the beach. We arrived on Thursday pm, Friday and Saturday were mostly family days and then I barely saw the kids. They quickly found friends either through the teen club or just hanging out. The kids participated in a bunch of the activities; the two younger ones were still drawn to the beach most often.

There is a great variety of food in the two restaurants and we didn't get tired of the choices during the week.

There is lots of stuff for the adults to do as well, from relaxing at the beach to participating in the trapeze from 4-6 pm each day. This was definately my highlight! The staff at the circus area are all super.

I read reviews prior to having gone and was somewhat concerned about getting a GI bug but none of us had any problems.

There's lots to do at the club and I highly recommend it. This is a great for families.

Shanghai Region, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

Just back from our second fabulous stay at Club Med Punta Cana. Already wishing that everything at home was as close as the beach there and as beautiful... I would go back tomorrow if I could!!!

This post will have many child-centric comments for visitors with young children. My child is two and participated in the PetitClub section of the resort’s MiniClub.

Key selling points for this club for us in 2008 – and that remained very important to us for our trip back this year – included:
- Proximity to the airport. We did not want a long airport transfer once we landed with our little one. The resort is literally 10 minutes away by taxi bus. (All vehicles we’ve seen have AC.) It’s very important to note that although the resort is close to the airport, you do NOT hear any airplanes (although you might see one occasionally).
- Child friendly atmosphere at a nice resort. We didn’t want to go to a really upscale resort where we would be pariahs with our small child. What we encountered were many families and also couples without children on vacation in an environment that welcomes children. On the other hand, the resort is large enough that you never feel that you are at a kiddie park. The parents and other adult G.M.s (guests) are very definitely enjoying “adult” vacations, complete with adult sports, drinks, entertainment, and dancing.
- Children’s programming that was clearly defined by age ranges. Some resorts we looked at offered childcare or nannies but it wasn’t always clear from the resort materials how the very small children would be cared for and if the programming was specifically designed for their needs, or if the kids would just be all lumped together with those of different ages and abilities.

I recommend this resort for
- Families with children who can enjoy organized group activities
- Families with children who prefer to stay with parents
- Extended families who want to enjoy time with and without one another on vacation.
- Groups of families who want to travel together (i.e. the parents are friends)
- Single parents who want to enjoy a resort vacation with their child (I would feel very comfortable going by myself)
- Adults without children who don’t mind seeing children periodically who want a FABULOUS beach and who enjoy continuing or trying sports (water or land) or participating in activities with others on vacation

I do not recommend this resort for
- People who plan to go to an all-inclusive and “get their money’s worth” by drinking a lot. G.M.s certainly DO drink and enjoy themselves, but it’s not a binge drinking atmosphere. Drinks are served in bars (you can take them away with you anywhere), and also around the pool at certain times, and wine is available with lunch and dinner, but there are no swim-up bars or beach stand bars as in ‘Cocktail.’

Please note that you do NOT need to speak French or Spanish to enjoy a stay at this resort. It helps if you remain alert to the name tag pins worn by each G.O. displaying country flags that correspond to the language that that employee speaks, and of course it always helps if you make a small effort to say thank you or a greeting in Spanish or French.

Club Med has a strong following of repeat visitors from many countries to their all-inclusive resorts. We did not know anything about the history of Club Med on our first visit to Punta Cana in 2008, and it’s certainly not a requirement to enjoy your stay at this GORGEOUS beach resort, but the curious can learn more about Crazy Signs and other Club Med traditions on the Club Med Planet website.

We visited Punta Cana in March 2008 with our 15-month old, and really looked forward to returning this year now that she is just over two and can participate in the children’s programs that are one of the much-publicized offerings of Club Med Punta Cana. In 2008, we did not use the organized childcare facilities provided by ClubMed, as we signed up too late to get into the limited-space infant care group. This turned out to be a good thing, as our child was not yet in daycare at home, and would have had a difficult adjustment. Once there, however, we did reserve for the babysitting service each afternoon. The same babysitter joined us just prior to naptime, and who stayed with our child through her nap and took her around the grounds and to play at the MiniClub during the afternoon. The babysitters only speak Spanish, but we asked another G.O. (staff member) to help translate specifics for us (care at 15 months is not terribly complicated after all). Our child seemed very happy with the babysitter, and other guests and G.O.s told us where they had seen her being strolled on the grounds.

THIS year we enrolled our now two-year old in the PetitClub program for two and three-year olds at the time we made our reservations. The PetitClub program has an additional fee, but the spaces are not so limited as they are with the infant program.

MiniClub Impressions

Background: Our two-year old is in daycare in the U.S. and is accustomed to being away from her parents and to playing in groups. Other very young children who are not in daycare or who have not yet started nursery school may find the initial separation from mom and dad difficult (it took our own child two weeks to fully settle into the daycare routine in the US). Some parents of these children left their children only part of the day, or did not send them every day. We sent our daughter to the program from Sunday through Friday, and she had an absolutely amazing time. She is still asking for some of the G.O.s now that we are home!!!

OK, now that the disclaimer is out the way -- the MiniClub is AWESOME!!!!!!!! The G.O.s are terrific. They are caring, tolerant, and enthusiastic, and they will do their very best to help your young one take advantage of his or her vacation. Our child is only two, so she was in the “PetitClub.” Some of the awesome PetitClub G.O.s we met in connection with the two-year olds include Diana, Virginie, Emmanuella, Sophie, Gerline, Lilli, Alina, Blanchard, Wilson, Fausto, and Alex. Some of the BabyClub G.O.s we met include Mirlande, Louise, and Kate. I can’t say enough positive things about these folks who are really dedicated to making your child’s stay enjoyable. The G.O.s are all multilingual (primarily English, French, Spanish, but also a few with Italian).

Unlike regular daycare, where children do go outside, but more for "recess", young children in the PetitClub are able to spend a good deal of time in the fresh air and in different parts of the club grounds. Many of the MiniClub play areas are covered in a circus tent-like fashion to block the sun, and the enclosed grounds are fairly extensive. The MiniClub has a variety of pools so that even two-year olds can have a pool experience, and there is also a large covered and gated hut on the beach so super-mobile little ones can play in the sand in a secure manner and avoid the sun. (For older children, the MiniClub includes even better pools, covered small-scale tennis court, and basketball court. Full-size stuff for teens is available in other areas of the resort.) The main parts of the day that resemble standard cold weather climate daycare are snacks, lunch, and nap!

I scanned in children’s programs materials from our stay, such as the MiniClub programming brochures for all ages so you can get an idea of how days are planned for each age group, ranging from babies to 10-year olds. Club Med would do well to provide this parents prior to their arrival, but since they don't, this information as of March 2009 for Punta Cana is available at http://puntacanamom.blogspot.com

The PetitClub G.O.s engaged parents in their children’s vacation experience by inviting parents to pick-up time events such as a Parent Cocktail/Pool Party, Baby Olympics, a PetitClub “Show” (featuring your child on-stage in costume), and an end-of-week all-MiniClub celebration that was a little like a large birthday party (with snacks instead of cake) featuring games, tie-dye, lots of music, and lots of fun. Parents are not obligated to attend any of these, but the events are by no means burdensome, and provide you the opportunity to see the kids in action with their caregivers and for you to get some great photos, too.

The G.O.s are very good about applying sunscreen for young ones and making sure that kids wear hats when outside. Our child is just as pale as before we left (and she is the most fair in all our photos!).

The evening can be an added high point for your child if they can stay up. We are very structured at home, but on vacation we were “bad” parents and let our daughter stay up to see two shows that went well past her normal 7:30 bedtime (we figured she is on vacation, too). Parents can drop their children off with the MiniClub G.O.s to watch these shows or can stay to watch themselves. Our daughter was absolutely enthralled with the Pirates & Princess Show and the Magic Show, post-show dancing and crazy signs, and I think the last evening MiniClub Disco made her stay. We’re home now, and she went right back to her regular schedule without any issues, as there are no “shows” at home!

Some parents complain, quite understandably, that the evening meal is served too late (starting at 7PM) for very young ones. We usually took an extra boxed cereal from the buffet for a late-day snack, and you can always get (cows) milk or juice at the bars, or milk from the 24-hour-access Baby Bottle Room connected to the MiniClub. We also found that the main bar has apple juice in juice boxes, and that the beverage service staff who restocked our minibar also had the same juice boxes.

We did try the Pajama Club (group babysitting in the evening) one evening (we were tired ourselves after full days on the beach, doing water sports, etc.)This was a success for us, and I would try it again in the future. (The really young children go to sleep right away.)

Bottom Line: If you have children and want to enjoy time with them AND by yourself/with your spouse on vacation, and you want your child(ren) to have a blast, I HIGHLY recommend Club Med Punta Cana.

3 Thank SMcChen
Barrington, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

We went to Club Med Punta Cana for 10 days, and it was one of the best vacations we have had yet! My husband and I had been to Club Med in Turks and Caicos (before we had kids!) and loved it then, so we were looking forward to this resort as well. We are in our mid 30s and 40s, and our son is 3, and all of us had a wonderful time.

We enrolled our son in the Petit Club, and he couldn't get enough! The GOs who worked with the children were very warm and welcoming, and seemed genuinely happy to play with little ones all day. At first, I was a little worried that he would be afraid or upset after we dropped him off in the mornings, but thankfully I was wrong. He couldn't wait to get there every day, and would rush thru breakfast in order to get there sooner. There was a little show planned by the GOs on the last Friday of Petit Club, and our son was so proud to be in it. He kept bragging about how he danced in the show -- picture 4 little boys, dressed in shorts and vests with drawn on mustaches, dancing to "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer! Three of the boys cried, but not ours -- he ran to te front of the stage, grinned hugely, and took many bows -- what a ham! All the GOs knew him, and whenever we walked the grounds, there was someone giving "'Arry" (Harry) a hig five!

My husband and I enjoyed the workout facilities, the excercise classes and the spa. We booked the family suite, which was beautiful. If you have the means, this is definitely worth it -- bigger, luxurious space, in room computer, oceanfront room -- what more could you want?

I feel that I must address all the negative comments about the clientele and staff. Yes, there are many more French-speaking guests and staff members than English speakers. Guess what? CLUB MED IS A FRENCH COMPANY! Additionally, if you don't want to be exposed to other languages and cultures, stay in the States! We know maybe 3 words of French, yet managed to make our needs known sufficiently to staff (since they are all at least trilingual). We even befriended several families from France -- and they all spoke passable English; certainly much better than we spoke French. I speak fluent Spanish, and my husband knows some as well, so dealing with restaurant and housekeeping staff was no problem for us. My advice to the "ugly Americans" leaving unfavorable reviews regarding lanugage barriers: learn some words in the language of the country/region in which you are traveling. The native speakers appreciate it, even if you aren't very good (and it makes you look less xenophobic).

The food was excellent overall, as with any Club Med facility. For those complaining about birds and flies around the buffets -- WE'RE EATING OUTSIDE, ON AN ISLAND! What do you expect? The food stations were well stocked, and replaced promptly at regular intervals. We ate more fresh fruit and veggies than anything else, and never got sick. We did hear of some people coming down with a stomach virus, though. I didn't have any drinks from the bar, as I was 5 months' pregnant at the time, but my husband said the drinks were very good. Additonally, those who complained about the food being all buffet-style clearly never read the description of the facility. The Club Med website is very well put together and full of information. Do your homework before any trip and you won't be disappointed.

All in all, a fantastic vacation for all of us, many great memories were made, and we can't wait to go back. We highly recommend Club Med Punta Cana to all families!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
MAINE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

My family and I recently stayed at this location. We were extremely dissapointed! After the second day my son came down with the stomach bug that was traveling across the resort. We took him to the imfirmary and found out that he was not alone. Then our camera was taken from our room. We were left without a camera for our vacation!
Then my daughter caught the bug.....When we came home my some was still sick and my husband also came down with an extremely bad case of it....He is now on anti-biotics...and our doctors have said this bacteria infection is from poor food handlings...he missed a whole week of work! Something is definitely wrong with this place! Too many people got sick during the week of the 27th. The management doesn't seem to care.I would not recommend this to anyone. We looked forward to this trip. It's unfortunate we all got sick.

5 Thank MaineAlice
Southwestern CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2009

This was the third trip to this resort for me (50 year-old single mom), my Mom (72) and my 5 year-old daughter. The staff is VERY helpful and friendly, the beach and pool are lovely, a great assortment of food, incl. things for the kids like pizza and fries at lunch & dinner. We all have a wonderful time when we go (although my Mom did get Montezuma's revenge the last day of our stay last year. The doc on site fixed her up for the flight home. The place is very clean and the GOs in the kids club are fantastic! The first year we went I felt a little gulity putting my daughter in the club but she LOVES it! When I try to pick her up early to play on the beach because I feel guilty, she doesn't want to leave. The kids can also have dinner together--which my daughter also loves. That way my Mom and I could have a nice conversation over dinner--or parents could have a little alone time. It's the only vacation we have each year where I really don't have to do anything but sit by the pool or beach, read a trashy novel and sip tropical drinks. Did I mention there's a new spa and you can get massages on the beach? What could be better? The only potential drawback is that there's not as much in the way of water sports, shopping and cultural excursions as you get at other club meds or on some other Caribbean islands.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Imamom604
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

My partner and I vacationed at Club Med Punta Cana from Feb. 28 through March 7. This was the first time we stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and it's not the kind of thing we would have done before having a child. But many people we know with kids recommended it for families, so we decided to give it a try and were very glad we did.

I had read reviews on this site with some concern, and I have to say that almost all of the negatives I read here were not true for us. All three of us ate and drank everything (including water in pitchers on the table) and none of us got sick. We found all of the staff to be incredibly friendly, although there were some language issues (we each had enough basic Spanish and French to get by.)

The resort is absolutely beautiful, with a large, gorgeous beach and beautiful pool. The majority of the people there had kids, so we felt very comfortable there with ours. The best thing was the Kids Club. We paid the extra to enroll our son in the Petit Club Med (for under four, there's an extra fee, but it's worth it). We gave it a try for the first day for a few hours, and when we saw how much fun he was having and how well supervised it was, we were comfortable leaving him there from about 10 or 11 until 5. I was so impressed by how well run this program is. The kids club facility is amazing -- several fun kiddie pools with fun things to climb on and slides, several great playgrounds, a mini basketball and tennis court, and indoor space with toys for indoor playtime and napping. There were about 5 G.O.'s overseeing just my son's group (three-year-olds), which only had about 8-12 kids in it on any given day, so he received a great deal of attention. I kept checking in to see how he was doing, and I was amazed each time to see the G.O.'s actively engaging with and playing with the kids -- they were in the pool, on the playground, and having fun with them, not just standing by watching. If a kid got upset or cried about somethign (which, let's face it, kids tend to do), a G.O. would immediately go over and comfort the kid and play with them. At the end of each day, there was a big activity for kids and their families -- and we loved attending these with him (a treasure hunt, a show the kids put on in the theater, a pool party for families). Anyway, the kids club was great, and it gave us as parents some much-needed time on our own to relax. We enjoyed spending mornings and later afternoon/dinners with our son, but were also happy to have several hours each day on our own.

The room was really nice (I was surprised it was modern in design and not tacky islandy decor), and smartly laid out to have a separate area with a daybed for our son with sliding doors so we could have privacy and stay up even after he was asleep.

The food was fine. The best thing about it was the incredible range of choices at all meals, plus each day would have several special stations. At each meal, we would usually have a few things that were especially good, while the majority was decent but not necessarily memorable. But it made mealtimes incredibly easy and we never got bored of the selections. I actually really liked the wine served at meals and the basic cocktails we wound up never paying extra for top-shelf liquor or wines.

Most of the people staying there when were there were French speakers (from France and Canada). I'd say about 70% French, 30% English speakers. I should also point out to any gay families like ours that there was absolutely no issue whatsoever with us being 2 dads. We were the only family like ours that week, but everybody we met, both guests and staff, were perfectly friendly and accepting. We all felt very comfortable there.

All in all, a good time. We miss it already and will probably go back.

2 Thank NYCdad