It is difficult to meaningfully add to the comprehensive reviews immediately below, but since I read so many negative reviews prior to my trip, I thought I should put in my two cents here. First, before getting into specifics, I feel compelled to emphasize that we (my 7 yr-old daughter and I) had none of what I will call the "French issues" so often described in these reviews. We loved that the resort was full of diverse guests -- mostly French, Canadian and American, but with some German and Latin Americans thrown in. We didn't feel that we had substandard level of service due to the fact that our first language is English v. French. And I was impressed at the ease at which GO's managed 2-3 languages at a time. We had a few bad service events, but frankly, I chalk that up to the all-inclusive atmosphere and the fact that its not the Four Seasons or Ritz -- nothing related to our "American-ness"! I do happen to speak fluent Spanish (but not French), but I don't think this was the "secret" to our good experience. I don't like to sound harsh, but will reiterate what another poster said below -- do not travel to a country where the spoken language is not English if you want an "English-only" environment.
More specifics -- 1) This is a beautiful resort with a gorgeous beach, pool and open air bar/sitting area (Cielo); 2) The kids club was beyond all my expectations. My 7 yr-old daughter is a "momma's girl" and not a big fan of spending time apart. She didn't even take to the Disney Cruise kids club that much, and that is supposed to be great. But she loved the Mini Club Med, although she only spent mornings there, as we jointly decided that we would have our own time in the a.m.'s and then spend each afternoon together. The kids GO's were just fantastic -- so fun, funny and caring. And contrary to many previous comments, my experience was that they all were fluently trilingual, and made a special effort to include everyone, regardless of first language; 3) the fitness classes in the a.m. were really pretty good -- not typical "resort-style" mild cardio for ladies that lunch. The cardio-boxing class in particular was great; 4) spa is beautiful, although the prices are somewhat high (unless you are from NYC or similar); 5) the rooms are simple, but clean, roomy and modern -- they fit the bill for us, particularly since we only were there for about 1-2 non-sleeping hours per day; 6) apart from the restaurants (which did get chaotic at times), the resort never seemed crowded or overrun with people -- and we were there during prime spring break time; and 7) this is a fabulous place for a single parent to vacation with children.
A few negatives: 1) No, the food isn't spectacular, and sometimes its downright mediocre, but it met my expectations for an AI. AI's are not known for fine wine and food...period. If you want that experience, choose something besides an AI; 2) the service at the beachside snack bar (Celeste I believe) is particularly bad -- and its the only place where I had some encounters with rude staff; and 3) I didn't think the excursion choices were all that great, and seemed expensive. But this is more an issue with the Punta Cana location than Club Med itself. PC is not that convenient for off-resort sightseeing. But I knew that prior to going, and we were there for a beach/water vacation. Still, its worth noting that this is a negative for some as compared to Mexican Riviera or even other Caribbean island resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Dominican Republic in this all-inclusive family resort, designed over a long white-sand beach, considered to be the finest in the world. Travel to Club Med Punta Cana with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this resort which flourishes beside a lagoon surrounded by magnificent grove of coconut palms. Fun moments filled with memories await your kids at Club Med world-famous children's clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers from morning to evening, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. This newly redesigned resort has something for everyone, with amenities such as: Baby Club Med™*, a new Spa* with private pool access, exclusive private Oceanfront Family Suites, new dedicated programs for Mini Club Med™ including Le Petit Tennis(R), circus school and Baby Gym(R), Passworld for teens, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Club Med
- Club Med Dominican Republic