“Loved club med, especially Petit club med!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #41 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My family just returned from a week long stay- 4/25-5/2...we had the most amazing time! We are well seasoned travelers and were somewhat weary of doing the all inclusive thing, but decided to give it a go- glad we did! My husband and I took our 2 year old son and signed him up for the Petit Club Med- the staff (Virginie, Junior and Christian) were the most wonderful amazing people ever. If we could ship them back to the state's for our son's preschool we would! Every day the kids were having a blast, doing crafts, putting on plays, dancing...it was so beautiful to see how much fun our little boy was having. He learned to say a few words in French, and we plan to keep at it now!
The resort itself was lovely, the rooms very nice and comfortable. The food was good and varied. The restraunts lovely! Overall this was a most relaxing trip...and we plan on taking a yearly sojourn!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Lillymelin

Reviewed 30 April 2009

My family and I spent a week at this lovely resort and really enjoyed the location and our room overlooking the pool and the ocean. The family suites are perfect - roomy and comfortable. However, having our room made up after 2pm nearly every day was a bit of a drag and one night the housekeeper showed up at 9:00pm to replace the bottled water (a bit late I thought). The food was good, although eating the evening dining room didn't open until 6:45pm and there was really nothing offered from 3:00pm until then (room service was nice but only had a minimal number of choices). I felt the kids club was overcrowded and the counselors (GO's) were overwhelmed by the children. As a result, my 9 year old did not get to enjoy the trampoline nor the trapeze because the line to use them was just too long. My greatest disappointment was feeling ignored by staff because we were not French-speaking. I understand that Club Med is a French organization but it was clearly obvious that they catered to the French tourists first and foremost. I found it offensive that topless sunbathing was allowed by the pool ( I could understand the beach but my children did not need to see that!) Many of the GOs had such thick French accents - their English was almost indecipherable. The property was beautiful but we would not go back nor go to another club med. We all felt like second class citizens. I did like the concierge, Felix. He was very kind and helpful - but he could not save us from the rude French tourists who cut in line and whose children were fresh and nasty to the American and Canadian (non-French speaking) kids. We went on a great tour and did a zip line, dune buggy, and kayak trip. However, the dvd that we paid for does not work on American DVD players (now I know how the Queen feels after her gift from the Obama's). Think twice, Americans, before spending money on Club Med - it is really geared toward the French and we were not made to feel welcome at all.

Reviewed 23 April 2009

Let me start by saying I was apprehensive about going. I have been to Club Meds in the past, but haven't been to one in 20 years (purposely), so I knew the deal. Went with my family - adults and children, but I had no children with me. Yes, this is the perfect vacation with children, but if you don't have children, don't go if you want peace and quiet. The best thing about this Club Med is the setting - the beach and water are magnificent. For me, that was the saving grace.

It has been recently renovated and they did a nice job. The rooms were very decent (not what I remember of Club Med). Very hip - kind of what you would expect in a boutique hotel. We had nice porch facing the water, but set back. They built a lovely spa, but none of us thought our services were great. They did a really nice job with both bars - one on the beach and one near the main building. We would go to the bar after dinner around 9:00 and they played the same music every night. They should have a D.J. playing music to encourage people to dance. I believe the beach bar had music starting at 11:00, but I gather most people with children are already in their rooms.

The dining rooms - there are two, are very nice, but the food is very average. Every meal is a buffet and I can't say there was one thing that I thought was delicious. It's very repetitive, although there is a big selection. Even the fruit and baked good were tasteless. At breakfast, they had one person making eggs so you had to wait forever and then, it's not even good. And, if you love your morning coffee, you will be very disappointed - THE COFFEE IS AWFUL. I would take a couple of sips because I was desperate. I couldn't wait to get home to eat great food and drink my coffee.

Last but not least, one of the kids was stung by a jellyfish. They rushed him to the nurse's office only to find out that she was on a break. The front desk then called her and they had to wait 20 minutes until she appeared. That is unacceptable and dangerous. It makes no sense that they don't have two people covering for each other. What if the situation were life threatening??????? Another annoying thing was the front desk. If you have a question, or are checking in/out you have to wait in line for what seems to be forever. Very inefficient.

All in all, I enjoyed my time with my family and was happy on the beach, when there weren't little kids running around screaming (which was rare). I am used to staying at 5 star resorts or renting villas, and that's what I prefer. I'm never going back to Club Med, but if you have children and don't want to spend a fortune, then Club Med Punta Cana is a good choice. Just know what to expect.

2  Thank LifeisGOOD58
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Do not bring travelers checks to this resort or to the Dominican Republic. In fact, don't go at all because you will most likely get a nasty stomach flu. All four of us who went did, and we are now back in America, still suffering. Yes, there is a Doctor on site, but he will charge you for each person in your family he sees, even if you are all suffering from the same awful thing. He will give you meds you have never heard of and that don't work which you will have to pay for. There are flies literally swarming around all the food at the buffet, it was horrendous! The salad bar has no sneeze guards, and the people at the front desk can either be nice or sinister depending on what you need and who you get.They certainly do not go out of their way for you at reception!!!!!!!The spa however is heavenly!Beach gorgeous!We also enjoyed snorkeling.

1  Thank lpd71
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I just returned home from a weeks stay at the club med in Punta Cana. This is my second trip to this resort with my LARGE family...6 children 8 and under and 7 adults. We had a great time again! People have complained about many different aspects of this resort but I have nothing to complain about. The resort has been renovated in the past year and it was beautifully done. The rooms are laid out in a more useful way and are kept up very well. We spent limited time in the room just in the mornings to get ready for the day and then in the evening before dinner. We had rooms in the Mariposa building which was across from the Hispaniola and mini-club so it was very convenient. The restaurants are lovely and so is the pool and the beach. The bars are great as well. The entire resort was filled to capacity but it never felt crowded. We never had trouble getting a spot at the beach or pool. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The check-in at the front desk went smoothly and 2 of our 4 rooms were ready when we got there at 11:30am. There have been complaints about people getting sick so we used the anibacterial cleanser located at the entrance to both restaurants before and after we ate and not one of the 13 of us had any stomach issues. The restauarants had so many choices for breakfast lunch and dinner and the food was always delicious. And the kids really had a blast serving themselves. The chicken tenders are some of the best ever! The adults were eating them because they were so delish!! The grilled fish was great as well has the specialty dishes at lunch and dinner. You definitely don't go hungry. Dessert was also great especailly the self-serve ice cream. The bar staff was also wonderful. We qucikly made friends with Daniel a bartender at the main pool bar. He was wonderful to us and the kids had so much fun ordering drinks...tell them to get a miami vice..its a kid friendly drink! The Mini-club activities and staff are wonderful as well. The really take pride in their program and are so great with the kids. It is a flexible program and most of our kids were in and out of the club during the day some would go on the catamaran ride in the morning and then do archery, or they'd go in the afternoon to go in the kids pool. It is open to all when the mini-club isnt scheduled to use it...we would go around 4pm and the kids absolutely loved it. Please dont let some of the neagtive reviews keep you away from this great resort especially if you have children, they will love it here! We are hoping to make this a yearly family vacation and we all cant wait to go back!

Reviewed 6 April 2009

I just got back from a fabulous vacation with my husband, and 5 and 6 year old kids. Both kids loved all the activities in the kids' club. At circus, my 6 year old learned how to do acrobatic tricks on the trapez, and my 5 year old loved jumping on the trampoline. Both kids participated in the two kids' shows (they did cute and easy dance routines with their groups) and danced at the end of the week party on Friday night (which was decorated very stylishly for the kids). When the 4-5 year old walk around the village their leader leads them in cheers, which are cute and helpful to let parents know to either run to say hello, or to run and hide. : ) Two of the club's restaurants have been renovated beautifully and the rooms are a lot nicer than they were three years ago when I first went to Punta Cana. My husband and I relaxed on the beach and went swimming in both the calm ocean and the huge pool. I met a woman (who went there with her boyfriend) that came for the well known fitness instructor (there were workout classes on a shaded pavillion on the beach all day). The food is always great (especially on Friday nights).

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me but I did get a TERRIBLE vomiting bug and went to their infirmary where they treated me effectively with IV and medications. I had to pay the extra $250 on my bill because of this and it ruined the rest of my stay. It was either a bad shellfish allergy ,or the Rotovirus bug which seems to be a problem outbreak there and in France(Google it). Since its mostly French guests this is a problem. I noticed A LOT of adults and children using their fingers instead of tongs to handle the food which was really gross and disappointing given the issue of outbreaks. This is an all buffet resort so if you have any type of food allergies beware. Language barriers can be an issue at times and can be frustrating. The GOs with the kids were A plus. The mini club was like a summer camp. The kids can go on a catamaran, take archery, circus, theater, etc. Bring lots of extra sunscreen, hats, and sun shirts for the kids. The sun is strong. It will cost you $20 to buy sunscreen at the store. Also, bring your own medications b/c they don't sell tylenol, diaper rash, medications, at their store for some reason. You can get it at their infirmary for free but what a pain. Since its mostly French, remember that its customary for the women to bath topless, and smoking is allowed in ALL public areas. It is a very laid back and gentle European feel which can be a nice alternative to the rush of the American way. It was nice to be away from Americans BUT at times felt disorganized. All excursions cost extra money. Spa/hot rocks massage was very nice but expensive. Some GO's did complain to us about working too much. They only get 1 day off per week. The pool was large enough for all to use, and enough swim space for little ones too. Beach too had plenty of chairs. Overall, it was a good experience and a beautiful spot. No waves, clear water, so easy swimming. Private beach w/lots of security so no hassles. Felt safe. My 11 year old son had total freedom to wander all day w/ new friends and loved it. No tipping, no wallets so that's relaxing in itself. The grounds were IMMACULATE. My room had minor problems. Reception could be friendlier. We didn't receive the warm reception when we first arrived that maybe you get on charter flights. Also, mosquitos! Bring repellent for night time.