“Fabulous Mini Club”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I am a single parent and chose Punta Canta because of the Mini Club. The Mini Club GOs were nothing short of fantastic: they were warm, competent, responsible, super-intelligent and multilingual, and clearly genuinely liked children. I am very, very careful about childcare, and these guys were among the best I've seen. I could bring or pick up my six-year-old daughter at whatever times I chose--the GOs were very easy going and didn't mind if I hung around so that I could make sure that my daughter was comfortable.

Club Med has clearly chosen people with great people skills and also people who are well educated and highly intelligent: I noticed that the GOs knew everyone's names after the first day and could easily change from French to English; some also spoke Spanish. While I do not remember all the GOs' names, I was particularly impressed by Vladymir, Valerie, Michelange and Dimmy. My daughter jumped out of bed every morning, eager to go to the Mini Club!

One thing I would recommend: be sure to have a cell phone that works in the D.R. I did not do this, so when asked, I was not able to leave a cell phone number where I could be contacted in case of an emergency.
Overall, both my daughter and I had a wonderful time, in our separate activities and during the time we spent together at the beach, by the pool, sharing meals and watching the nightly kids' shows.

I am an American who has spent a fair amount of time in France, and I note that some of the criticisms on this site strike me as resulting from cultural differences. It should be remembered that Club Med is a French company and thus, while the clientele and staff are very international, certain things such as one snack per day for kids, at 4:00 pm, are entirely French (every kid in France has a snack at 4:00pm, and snacking at other times is rarely done, hence obesity is not a public health issue in France). Also, I found in France that daycare providers and indeed parents are less worried about kids crying at separation--culturally this is considered fairly normal and this probably explains the culture gap noted on this site. Perhaps Club Med should take into account the more protective child rearing style of Americans when working with these parents/kids. I saw the French parents leaving their kids at the door of the Mini Club with just two kisses--both parents and kids were fine with this but Americans tend to be more cautious and more fearful (probably with good reason, as the quality of child care in the States can vary wildly, whereas in France, it is heavily regulated and child care providers have a high level of education).

In summary, I had a great time at Club Med and loved the variety of adult activities. My daughter also had a great time and made lots of little friends. I would definitely go back next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank MamaJoyeuse
There are newer reviews for Club Med Punta Cana

Reviewed 23 July 2009

I joined a couple of friends with their children. The club was a great opportunity with the miniclub for the children: my friends had time to spend with me. Even during the evening, the club can take care of the children,

The club is very nice, lots of activity and great services. Even as in solo, there are plenty of opportunities to meet people.

Special thanks to Nadia at the reception desk.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2009

After a great experience at Club Med Turkquoise we chose Club Med Punta Cana for our honeymoon. We thought this would be a great choice because Club Med offers the opportunity to spend intimate time together or hang out in village and make new friends - we also thought the wreck diving looked great. Needless to say we were not disappointed. When we checked in Olga was very friendly and helpful as room was not yet ready, but she made sure that we could immediately start enjoying the amenities. The first spot we hit was the excursion desk where Marc Emil, Luc, and Paolo were very helpful in planning our scuba diving and lobster cruise - both of which were amazing. Our scuba instructors Reggie and Frank were outstanding teachers and a lot of fun to dive with, as was Gustavo - who I might add is also a fantastic singer, and if you're lucky you'll get to see his son play guitar along with him. On the dive boat Henry and the captain Coco were very helpful and a lot of fun. Besides scuba diving we spent a lot of time eating - the food ranges from burgers and fries to 5 star gourmet cuisine - with my favorite being the beef carpaccio! You can always count on a friendly smile and a good table from Bobby Brown, not the singer - or the guy from Nebraska, or a wonderful dish whipped up by Suzanne or Martin - and boy can Martin cook a steak! If it's sports related activities Wes is your guy - I don't know where he gets all of his energy from but whether it's soccer or water aerobics he is always encouraging and giving you all he's got! I also spent a lot time at the circus school - the team leader Kevin makes sure that everyone is completely safe and still having a great time. He is supported by O'Neil, Emanuel, and Elisabeth (who is not only an amazing talented trapeze artist but also the nicest person and really great teacher). These guys along with Helene and Mad Max (who besides circus heads up the tennis program) not only teach you to fly on the trapeze, but perform in 2 shows weekly which guests get to participate in - I had a blast being in the show! I also can't say enough about how great JB, chief of village, Eric, hotel manager, and Maja, PR/Special Events were when we were trying to extend our stay - especially Maja and Zena (from reception) did everything they could to make our extension and our honeymoon stay the best it could be. In addition to the staff's regular jobs many of them perform in the nightly shows and are a lot of fun to watch Radmese (mini club) stole the show as Abu! After the show you can always count on TT and Andy for some great music and dancing, but once that's done you head down to the beach club where Tony spins a lot of great dance music and you can count on Marco, Tito and Jean Pierre to whip you up the perfect rum filled creation. Having been to other Club Meds I have to say the thing that sets Punta Cana apart from not only the other resorts in Punta Cana but all the Club Meds are how wonderful the staff and how they really go so far out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. While this is a family club, you don't have to worry about kids everywhere as the mini club does a great job keeping them entertained. Jerome is great with the kids and makes sure fun is had by all.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melissa622
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Beach, Room, Athmosphere, GO's, Food were terrific. Will definitely go back. Kudos to Executive Chef.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank TasoNJ
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Service can make or break holidays - in my opinion any way. Well, service by the dynamic GO was simply outstanding. They are efficient, quick, polite and speak many languages, as opposed to Dominicans who can normaly only speak Spanish (typical of other DR resorts). GM from all over the world allowed us to meet great people and form lasting relationships. Finaly, what can I say about the food... simply the best of the some 40 all-inclusive resorts we have been to. Thanks to Jean Benoît and his team.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank SimonPina
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We went to Club Med to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. Our family included 5 adults and grandchildren ages 5,9,10,13 & 15 with clubs & camps available for every age. We enjoyed the landscaped ambiance, accomodations, activities & instructors. The food was very varied and good. Most of us tried & loved activities (trapeze, archery, snorkeling, kayaking, wind surfing) never before experienced. The staff, including Village Manager Jean Benoit, couldn't be more solicitous. This may sound like a review worded by the management but it is not. We all loved our week here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank gmasuzy
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We are at club med right now and it is raining therefore there is absolutely nothing to do. I have to say we are staying at Tiara (the family suites) and their rooms are outstanding, great view, very comfortable very clean. The resort itself if very nice but I find their baby club absolutely poor. I was looking forward to leaving my daughter (15 months) playing at the baby club for a couple of hours but after being there and carefully observing their program I find it outrageous that they would actually offer such a poor and unsafe service, they should rather not offer it at all and leave toddlers to the care of their parents or to go to another resort DO NOT come here thinking you will leave your baby and go rest peacefully they are not prepared for that. Here is some of my observations that would help you and I hope someone at club med who reads this understand my opinion
1. NO stimulation: kids just laying or sitting in a small room while G.O. s chit chat
2. NO safety: They take groups to a swimming pool and they have no clear routine or protocol for doing this. Babies crying, some do not want to get into the water and they are forced, yesterday there were 6 kids and 3 G.O.s but here is the thing one of them was holding the gate for a cart, the other one was in the pool holding one child and the third one was trying unsuccesfully and with lots of tears to put a float on the other kid then you picture this GO 1 = Gate, GO 2= 1 child, GO 3= 1 child , what about the other four?, yes the other four without suppervision, I dont know about you but I am not leaving my 15 months old daughter in a pool with no suppervision that is just unacceptable. Also no safety at their playground area, pretty much same scenario 6 kids 2 GO, GOs chat, look around, look bored and not patient, kids climbing, falling, crying, hitting each other, GOs not interested :(
3. NO transition/adaptation: I have been an educator for 13 years and I was so dissapointed by the way they take the kids off of your hands and tell you it is ok for them to cry that you must literally run and that your child will forget about it and calm down later. I have to say the playgrounds and pools are beautiful and very suited for kids so I spend a lot of time playing with my daughter there and this has allowed me to observe all these things, and those kids are crying all day, every time I see them they are crying and it is totally understandable, these are people they've never seen before and to some they dont even speak their language. I went there with my daughter and ask them if I could come in with her to see if she would stay and the lady in charge ( I guess she was) who cant really speak spanish or english ( I speak both) she only spoke french and she somehow conveyed in her half english that I could not come in with her for 5 minutes......that I had to register, to which I replied that I wasnt going to register unless I saw my daughter will enjoy it and that she needed some time to get comfortable. The lady said "NO, you give me baby and go!" and I repeated myself very calmly and slowly to make sure she understood me that the best was for a couple of minutes or may be an hour to adapt, she said " oh, she will cry, its ok she crie, all babies crie, give me baby and go she no cry later" I said ok thank you and simply left.
4. NO communication: so the whole point of coming to med was that I would have left my daughter here and go snorkling or on an excursion or just sunbathing for alittle while. When I asked the same lady if they had any way to contact me she said I will call to your room and I explained I would not be in my room then she said she will leave a message on my room??? so if something were to happen to my daugher or simply if she was crying missing me (afterall she is just a baby) they had no way whatsover to contact me (come on club med!!!!!!!!!! its the 21st century ...technology is here u know!) as soon as I register my child you should be giving me a way I can contact u and u can contact me dont u think? even if it is at an extra cost there is no price to have the piece of mind that your children are safe and that you can be reached if they need u...shame on u club med!
Eventhough they advertice as a family resort there is NO real program for young kids, so plan accordingly if you are coming with a small child

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family