I am a single parent and chose Punta Canta because of the Mini Club. The Mini Club GOs were nothing short of fantastic: they were warm, competent, responsible, super-intelligent and multilingual, and clearly genuinely liked children. I am very, very careful about childcare, and these guys were among the best I've seen. I could bring or pick up my six-year-old daughter at whatever times I chose--the GOs were very easy going and didn't mind if I hung around so that I could make sure that my daughter was comfortable.
Club Med has clearly chosen people with great people skills and also people who are well educated and highly intelligent: I noticed that the GOs knew everyone's names after the first day and could easily change from French to English; some also spoke Spanish. While I do not remember all the GOs' names, I was particularly impressed by Vladymir, Valerie, Michelange and Dimmy. My daughter jumped out of bed every morning, eager to go to the Mini Club!
One thing I would recommend: be sure to have a cell phone that works in the D.R. I did not do this, so when asked, I was not able to leave a cell phone number where I could be contacted in case of an emergency.
Overall, both my daughter and I had a wonderful time, in our separate activities and during the time we spent together at the beach, by the pool, sharing meals and watching the nightly kids' shows.
I am an American who has spent a fair amount of time in France, and I note that some of the criticisms on this site strike me as resulting from cultural differences. It should be remembered that Club Med is a French company and thus, while the clientele and staff are very international, certain things such as one snack per day for kids, at 4:00 pm, are entirely French (every kid in France has a snack at 4:00pm, and snacking at other times is rarely done, hence obesity is not a public health issue in France). Also, I found in France that daycare providers and indeed parents are less worried about kids crying at separation--culturally this is considered fairly normal and this probably explains the culture gap noted on this site. Perhaps Club Med should take into account the more protective child rearing style of Americans when working with these parents/kids. I saw the French parents leaving their kids at the door of the Mini Club with just two kisses--both parents and kids were fine with this but Americans tend to be more cautious and more fearful (probably with good reason, as the quality of child care in the States can vary wildly, whereas in France, it is heavily regulated and child care providers have a high level of education).
In summary, I had a great time at Club Med and loved the variety of adult activities. My daughter also had a great time and made lots of little friends. I would definitely go back next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Dominican Republic in this all-inclusive family resort, designed over a long white-sand beach, considered to be the finest in the world. Travel to Club Med Punta Cana with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in this resort which flourishes beside a lagoon surrounded by magnificent grove of coconut palms. Fun moments filled with memories await your kids at Club Med world-famous children's clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers from morning to evening, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. This newly redesigned resort has something for everyone, with amenities such as: Baby Club Med™*, a new Spa* with private pool access, exclusive private Oceanfront Family Suites, new dedicated programs for Mini Club Med™ including Le Petit Tennis(R), circus school and Baby Gym(R), Passworld for teens, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Club Med
- Club Med Dominican Republic