“Time of our lives!”

Club Med Punta Cana
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I was nervous about our first family vacation with our 5 year old daughter and almost 2 year old son, but I shouldn't have been-we had the greatest time!!
Mini club (4-5 yrs, snoopies) was amazing. Tons of GOs knew my daughters name after one day! Hats off to John, Michal, Samantha, Elie boom boom, Lulu, Andrea, and the whole crew, they have a never ending amount of energy and love what they do! And the baby club GOs still loved my son even though he cried! Daphnee and Obed were great with him, always communicated through the windows so he wouldn't see me when I went to check in!
The food was excellent! I especially loved the different plated appetizers each night. And of course the white chocolate bread!
Truly an amazing time!!

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank idaninalevy
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

Dear idaninalevy,

We would really love for you and your young ones to come see us again! We try to provide a great atmosphere for families starting with the staff. We are glad they could provide a great experience for you.

Reviewed 25 January 2011

Just came back from Punta Cana Club Med and LOVED it! Went with 2 yr old and 6 yr old and another family with kids' of the same ages. Beautiful resort and a nice layout. Our room was near the kids' club and the smaller sized restaurant. We were on the ground floor and our balcony faced a peaceful garden/grassy area. Food was the best of all the clubs (been to almost all in the carribbean, even met husband at Club Med, so we're veterans) which I attribute to the French influence. This was a plus, felt like we were in Europe. Everyone was friendly and spoke English. My son loved camp -- specifically archery. Gregg, Princetanal and Reginal were amazing counselors who were not only funny and entertaining, they were good at keeping a watchful eye on the kids so they were safe. My daughter was about to roll off a bench while watching her brother do archery when Gregg leaped from across the way and caught her. The photographers at the resort are amazing, posing kids with monkeys, parrots and lizards if they wanted. We bought the whole disc (unlimited pictures) at the end of our stay. Bed rails were in place for the kids in their room when we arrived and they gave us a carriage. My 2 yr old was in the petite club and took long naps. I asked them how they did it and one of the counselors started singing a lullaby that we now sing ourselves to get her to sleep. Just amazing care with the kids. It's such an easy vacation (resort is close to airport) that it's just a no brainer. We will absolutely return, and although we loved Club Med Cancun, we think this one is the best of the best because a. it's warmer (further south) b. great food c. large, well run kids' club (they put on a fantastic variety show that had all of us riveted) d. kid friendly (kids' food aplenty like chicken nuggets and fries, although they serve the kids salad and veggies to start when the kids have meals with the club). e. awesome amenities, several kids' pools with slides, big playground area for kids right by the beach but nicely covered with a tent like roof so they don't get too much sun. They have diapers and swimmies in boutique for when we ran out. Oh, and because the kids are happy, the adults are happy (in fact book a beachside massage!!!) Definitely go! You'll love it.

1  Thank jasmine7

Dear jasmine7,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review. We are we could provide a good time for you and your young children.

Reviewed 24 January 2011

Our family went to Club Med Punta Cana and really enjoyed it. The views are spectacular and the staff is incredbily helpful and friendly. One area that needs improvement are the tennis courts - Club Med should consider resurfacing them.

We all enjoyed the food and every night there are a number of different activities (for both kids and adults). Our kids fell in love with the staff and especially enjoyed seeing Anne Fournel who went out of her way to help our family. She and others are very nice, approachable, repsectful and have a genuine interest in you and your family.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank wmc_11

Dear wmc_11,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation with your family. We will pass on to our headquarters about the Tennis Courts, thank you for your concern. Please come back and visit us again!

Reviewed 18 January 2011

I traveled with my 3-year old, 6-year old, and 13-year old along with several other families whose children ranged up to 23 years old. EVERYONE had a great time. All day long, every age had their own activities completely geared to their interests and level. My 6 and 13-year olds begged to go to "camp" as soon as they woke up. The camp staff is trilingual (Spanish, French, English) and my English-speaking children felt completely welcome and understood . . . and maybe even learned something at the same time. We loved this so much that we will go again at Spring Break!

1  Thank Momof3differentages

Dear momof3differentages,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review. We are glad your family had such a wonderful time at our resort. We try our best to make our resorts family-oriented. Please come see us soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband and I traveled to the Club Med in Punta Cana and really had mixed reviews of the resort. To start, the Club Med itself is really poorly designed. Many of the rooms are a long walk away from the main pool, bar, spa, etc. By the time you get to the restaurants or other locations of destination, you are exhausted. The main pool is so large that if you get a seat on the side closest of the beach, it takes forever to walk around to get to a restroom or the bar. Maybe if the resort installed some bridges, it would definitely make it easier to get around. Also, we wished we could rent push pedal bikes but nothing was made available to us. It probably would have made the trip a lot more fun and made it easier to get around the 1 mile long resort.

Immediately upon arriving, we went to the main bar and tried to order a drink but the woman behind it didn't speak English. So, we had difficulty placing a beverage order. We did come to find that many other bartenders spoke English, French, and Spanish so once you figured out who was who, it made it better.

Another thing, if you are American and travelling with children, you may not want to visit this resort. Many women walk around the pool and beach areas topless. We were not aware that the resort is primarily French visitors, but I was slightly taken back by the women walking around topless with their young children.

When you are about to check out, MAKE SURE you review your bill. We had a 2400 DOP charge on our bill that took HOURS to dispute. In the end, the resort couldn't prove the charge was ours and had to write it off, but the time that went into it was uncalled for. We experienced the same thing when trying to change our room because our air conditioning didnt work the first night. It again took HOURS and a fight to get into a new room. Be aware, the air temperature in the rooms does not go below 74 degrees. Also, the same exact songs are played at the pool with dances that go with them every day and every night. The entertainment doesn't change which is quite a disappointment.

Would we go back? No. It was great for a short get away from the cold back in the USA but we wouldn't go through what we did down there, twice. I wouldn't recommend this location to my friends. I would consider another resort in the Dominican Republic, but not the Club Med.

As for positives:
The disco that opens at night was a lot of fun. The spa, if you can afford to get a massage, was completely worth it. We loved the hot stone massage but were a little disappointed to learn we had to pay more money for the outdoor massage. Many locations include it free but they wanted an additional $10. The liquor being available at all times of day was also a great factor. The food, well, wasn't terrible, but wasn't anything to rave about.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StampMyPassport23
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2011

On behalf of all of us at Club Med Punta Cana, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during the stay. The satisfaction and happiness of our guests is our top priority. We are also very sorry that the ambience was not to your liking, We hope that this experience will not deter you from vacationing with us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Resort: Beautiful and well planned out. Everything is accessible and charming.

Beach: This resort sits on the best beach I've ever been to. In April the water temp was perfect and I (who never goes in beyond my knees) was completely submerged and never wanted to leave the water. It's that lovely. A sand bar blocks the waves so the water is calm and safe. There is a crowded main beach area that gets very loud- I called it the "Boom Boom Beach" but there is another beach area that is on the opposite side of the disco that is peaceful and calm. We did a little bit of both.

Rooms: Perfect for our family of 4. Two twins & a separate bedroom with a king for the adults. Clean and modern. No complaints here. Our room was on the 3rd floor closest to the spa and there were no elevators. made for some very long walks.

Dining: This is why I rated this resort only 3 stars. The dining experience is awful! Food choices don't really change from day-to-day. There are theme nights but everything is predictable. Chicken in one sauce, chicken in another sauce... The food was tasty and well prepared and nobody in my family was troubled by any stomach issues the whole week. My complaint is that the dining experience is horrible. It's one big cafeteria with little kids running hither & yon. There is an adults only area but with teens, we were not allowed to sit there. Crazy because my mature teen daughters had to sit next to whiny toddlers and families with multiple strollers in the dining room. No matter what time you ate there were always big groups with tired kids. Breakfast and lunch were equally nutty with the added problem that they didn't clean the tables fast enough. It would be nice if at least for dinner there was some specialty dining where you weren't always carrying your plate.

Activities: The teen club is an amazing feature! My daughter found a group of kids and they met up at the club in the morning & then we saw her again to shower & dress for dinner.

Overall, we had a relaxing vacation but we would not return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so happy to read all the great things you had to say about our resort; however, we do apologize that the dining experience did not meet your expectations. We hope that this is visit will not deter you from future visits with us here at Club Med Punta Cana.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We just returned from the Club Med Punta Cana Jan 12th following a week of visiting family throughout the Dominican Republic. This is only our second Club Med to stay at and we enjoyed ourselves again. Perhaps it is because we have firsthand experience of what it means to be hosted by Dominicans (Some of the friendliest & most welcoming people I've had the pleasure of meeting - with a love of visiting, talking rapidly & dancing at any given moment!) but we found that we had to adjust to the heavy french influence at the resort.

We were constantly greeted in french - if we were to respond in English or Spanish they would switch languages - but I thought it was a bit weird that they didn't greet everyone in Spanish seeing as that is the spoken language in the DR. Having said that I was under the impression that the bulk of the guests were French - so perhaps its simply to accommodate them? The french guests were... not particularly friendly to the staff, so I found that in return, that the staff lacked the usual enthusiasm that I have come to expect from a Club Med. However once they figured out that you were nice or if you spoke Spanish most of them would warm up considerably.

We were a family of 4 in a club room and found that the rooms themselves were older but fairly well maintained. Our room had an adjacent room that you could close off with double pocket doors which is nice to give you a bit of privacy from your kids at night. The adjacent room had 2 twin beds & a small fridge that we could use. We had excellent maid service from Isabel. And the bellman was also great.

Our 2 girls are (6) and (8) years old. Which meant that they were separated into 2 different groups at Mini Club. Understandable given the large groups of children that were there but it made it so that our kids didn't end up spending all that much time with the Mini Club (their choice). However my 6 year old did participate in the Kids show. I thought the GO's did an amazing job with all of those kids in such a short amount of time! Hats off to GO - Andrea, in particular for organizing a large group of mini club kids with so much enthusiasm! Loved the different glasses everyday as well :o)

My 6 year old also loved the Circus Training on the Trapeze & the staff there are wonderful! And extremely talented! Don't miss their Circus Show. I'm always amazed how hard the GO's work with the guests all day & then keep working by performing in some great shows. Sorry but I didn't get all of the Circus Team's names but Alisa, Nelson, the Dominicans & the rest of the Circus team - thank you! Also a talented dancer was part of the Circus show - we enjoyed her performance as well.

My 8 year old enjoyed Archery & had some pointers from a helpful GO - Wilsony. Other memorable GO's that worked with the Mini Club are; Lucien (aka - Lu Lu) great with the kids - especially with all of his sound effects :o) Greg was another enthusiastic GO, Daphne was wonderful with the kids & remembered our daughter's name after 1 day! Manon was also very kind. Ellie from the Petit Club was very personable & a nice dinner companion.

My husband had a private tennis lesson from Pernelle who made him work hard on the court! I used the gym and we also enjoyed the spa while we were there. Our girls had their hair braided at the reception area by Rosa... she was great but the braids were the most expensive that we've ever had. Yulainy at Reception was extremely pleasant & very helpful. We also received great service from Arturo around the pool, an extremely friendly young man was on clean up duty & I neglected to get his name - but he always had a smile on his face, and Kelvin was great at the Celeste. Max at the Bar came up with a great drink; Jedi Mind Trick (Vodka, Passion Fruit & Sprite) - we really enjoyed it :o) Frozen Passion Fruit were also a hit with the kids.

The food was great - particularly on the gala evening. The restaurants are both buffets but there was lots of diversity, with something for everyone. The Samana Restaurant was beautiful and laid out in such a way that you didn't feel like you were sitting in 1 big room. We loved the Hispaniola Restaurant (also a buffet but a bit smaller) because it was also beautiful, usually hosted more themed foods and was right beside the ocean with a wonderful patio. 2 suggestions... all of the specialty plates were handed out on large plates with the sauces drizzled just so... might be better if they were served on smaller plates? Other suggestion... make good Tostones (use green plantains) and serve them next to the french fries. Who doesn't like a good Tostones? We found the Dominican food to be lacking... but otherwise was very good. Celeste snack bar right on the beach was another favourite place to have lunch.

Went kayaking & snorkelling & saw a small "ray" right off the beach in front of the watersports area. Enjoyed the mini club pool & the main pool is laid our wonderfully starting with shallow, leading to slightly deeper & deeper as it went along. So kids with similar abilities ended up hanging out in the same areas. Might suggest that they add a bridge over 1 part of the pool because you have to walk all the way around it (& its quite large) to get to the bathroom, the bar & reception area. Public bathrooms need some work. Leaky toilets, only 1 sink working, etc. Perhaps add a subtle fragrance to mask the odours that come with bathrooms?

Nice beach area but we preferred the quieter side by the watersports area. Grounds were very well maintained & clean. Welcoming reception area. Just needs a bit more Dominican culture but otherwise a lovely holiday. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL location!!! White sand, turquoise water, lots of gorgeous palm trees!

2  Thank Trips4MeVancouver_BC