“Airline Traveler”

Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Raleigh
“Airline Traveler”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I am a Flight Attendant who travels often. I traveled to Riu Bambu with my sister and kids on 20th of February. we had a blast. The staff took care of any concerns I had right away. I agree steak house was good but we enjoyed buffet and pool side lunch. A big Thank You to Anthony at Perx who always take care of my travel needs.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tami R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Service staff seems to prefer saying "no" rather than accommodating guests. My room's ground patio door was unlocked 3 days in a row and once our entry door open from cleaning! The male staff flirts heavily making it uncomfortable. Pool closes at 6pm and the towel men will reprimand you if you dont return them by 5:30. Cuisine poor, Room subpar. The beach was the nicest part.

Room Tip: There are no ocean view rooms. The deluxe rooms are apparently at the back of the resort.
6 Thank FSTravellerNewYork

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Pennsauken, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We booked the 5 Apple Square Deal and were told we were guaranteed a resort that was 5-apples(their version of 5-stars)- well I guess you get what you pay for...this was 3 stars at best! Everything was just mediocre except for the pools and beach and luckily the weather! Who ever heard of a 5-star resort only having one kind of beer and that was draught light beer ! Service was lacking - had to stop at desk every day to request extra towels and to restock the beer - which they were out of for two days - and then it was rationed 2 at a time! Food was average - everything tasted the same...only good meal of the day was breakfast. Steak house and Italian restaurant were just slightly better. Room was clean, but outdated with bedspread as thin as the sheets and no blanket available. Room had 2 double beds pushed together. Staff was not friendly or helpful, except for few exceptions...I would not recommend this to anyone unless price was their only criteria.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kaye L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Came back February 2014 from a two week stay, Awesome holiday great value money, we could not fault any of the hotel.
Food was outstanding, must try the steak house and the Italian restaurant. Main restaurant had a great selection of food and if your a fish lover you will not be disappointed.
Room was modern and kept clean every day by the maids to a very high standard, I would recommend to get a king size suit as the standard rooms are quite dated.
Entertainment was good but finished quite early 12pm. if you wanted to go on late the bar, and disco was open till late as you wanted. Only one complaint on the whole holiday would be the entertainment team manager JACKSON, he was only socailable and friendly to single young sexy woman. Any one else he would not even say hi or even crack a smile :(

Room Tip: King size suit for a modern room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrL0ve
Endeavor, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had a wonderful time as we always do on vacation. We just felt that we stayed at better resorts where the people are more friendlier towards you. We loved the Mexican restaurant. Def try mamajuana its their drink! The best part about this trip is we made some wonderful friends and our friend proposed which was pretty awesome. All in all as cheap as a trip this was it was well worth the money and I spent my birthday on a beach. The beach massages are to die for! You will be happy.

Room Tip: No tips they didn't seem to have oceanview
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2014

First thing, check-in was a breeze. The room was clean and the food was fair at the buffet. They seemed to have a bacon shortage for a few days at breakfast. Don't know why. The ala carte restaurant for steak was the best of the 3 we tried. The drinks were ok. Sometimes strong and sometimes it seemed like they were holding back on the booze. It depended on the bartender and how much you tipped. Our group always tips so most of the bartenders see that and mix your drinks with better booze. Unfortunately, they seemed to be short on wait staff. You could relax around the pool all day and never have a person ask you, if you wanted a drink. Same with the restaurants. Rarely did a waiter get you a table and then get you your coffee. We had 6 people in our group and we normally had to find our own table and then someone would eventually get you coffee. We've stayed at other RIU's and had better service. The beach was very nice with soft sand and the ocean wasn't really cold. The pool at the swim-up bar was nice, but a little deep for carrying a drink around. To be safe, once you got your drink, you headed for the side of the pool, where it wasn't as deep, and talked with your friends and finished your drink. All in all this is a nice resort with well kept grounds, decent food, a courteous staff, and not so bad drinks. Not one of the best we've stayed at, but not one of the worst, also. Worth the money we paid for a square deal with Apple.

4 Thank vmheights
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I will start this review by first saying that I am a down to earth person and don't need the "la dee da" things in a vacation to make it fun but man this was a vacation from hell. There was a group of six people that traveled with our group. We stayed at the Riu Bambu from Feb 9th-16th. We used Apple Vacations and tried the 5 Apple Deal. (never again).

The Flight: We arrived at Chicago O’Hare airport at approximately 8:00am for our 10:00am flight with Frontier Airlines. We went to our gate and waited for the next couple hours. It was approximately 9:30am and our boarding times was 9:25am. I started to think something was up, I was right. At 10:00am, a Frontier Airlines employee started talking on the radio and he said a Frontier Flight Attendant had misplaced her passport and due to federal regulations, we could not fly until Frontier airlines found a replacement. We waited until 3:30pm-4:00pm until the replacement showed up. During our wait, Frontier Airlines was so nice, (yeah right) to give each passenger $10 voucher for food at the airport. One dry sandwich cost $9.99 at the Hudson in the airport. Thanks. I guess 6 hours of our lost vacation is worth $10 bucks. So, we finally take off and land in Punta Cana.

Ride to The Resort: We arrived in Punta Cana at approximately 11:00pm. We were "pushed" through customs which was nice, because it seemed as though the airport was shut down at this time. We got our luggage and found the Apple Vacations Rep. We loaded a bus and all the passengers watch as our luggage was treated as a punching bag. The bus driver kicked and stood on the luggage to make it fit in the compartments. I was glad I didn't pack anything breakable. As we were riding to our resort, a guy in our group noticed one of the bus compartments had opened up while we were traveling down the highway. By the grace of God, when we arrived, no one lost any luggage.

Front Desk at the Resort. Since we arrived so late, the front desk was way under staffed. It took a little while to check in, however once we did, the trip started going down hill. Once we made it to the rooms, the first thing we see is a beetle of some sort running across the bed. So, I took care of the beetle and I opened up the bed to see what is next. As I pulled back the blanket, I saw 4-5 drops of dry blood on the sheets. I couldn't believe it. I immediately called the front desk and spoke with an employee. I was told that the maid staff had left for the night and there was nothing they could do. I explained to the employee that I was not going to sleep on sheets with someone else's blood on them. The employee stated that he would speak to a manager and call me back in 5 minutes. 20 minutes go by and there was no call back. I called again and spoke with same employee and he stated there was nothing they could do because the maid service had gone home and there were no other rooms. This was when the "better half" took the telephone from me. After a 10 minute "discussion", the employee finally stated he would be bringing different sheets and blankets to our room and other couple with our group room (they also had dry blood on the blankets).

Once the sheets and blanket were changed, we said, let’s make the best of it and headed to the 24-hour sports bar. I can't remember the bartender's name, but he was a lot of fun. We sat there and relaxed til 3am-4am.

The Room: Once we woke up the next day around 830am, we discovered more thing about the room. If the sheets weren't bad enough, there was a ton of mold around the air conditioning vent and hallway by the main door. Since we were already unpacked, we decided to make the best of it and figured we just wouldn't spend a lot of time in the room. The other couple with our group was right next door to our room. Their room also had a lot of mold and I noticed the mold between our two rooms shared the same wall. So, I went out to the main hallway of the building and discovered a closet looking door. The door was not locked so I opened the door, and I found the main plumbing pipes ran in the wall that our rooms shared. This explains the mold problem. There was some mold in the shower but this could be corrected with a little "elbow grease" cleaning.

This is where the vacation actually turned around;

The Food: Our first day there, the food was not good. Once we figured out which places to eat, it was much better. Definitely eat breakfast at the Mama Juana. But if you want bacon, you will have to eat at the Colonial. Lunch was always at the Mama Juana as well, because we were at the pool or the beach all day and the Mama Juana was the closest. As for the sit down restaurants for dinner, they were all very good. The order we put them in was the Japanese, Italian, Steak House, and Mexican. All the restaurants were good.

The Beach: This was the one thing that saved the vacation. The beach was so big and relaxing. Palm trees for shade and the waves for relaxing sounds. It was perfect.

The Pool: The pool was very nice as well. Victor and Juan at the pool bar were class acts. They made the drinks the way we liked. The beer, "El Presidente" not to bad if it was really cold but the moment it got a little warm, it was undrinkable.

The Staff: Besides the front desk, the wait staff and entertainment staff was a lot of fun and tried to keep everyone involved.

The other guests: The resort was a lot of fun and we met a lot of fun people. The other guests that really stick out in my mind, were from Germany. These people knew how to have fun. So, much fun, that I didn't make it to supper that night and went to bed.....

Overall: If you are looking for a great beach and pool, this is the place to go. Only if you can overlook some downfalls as well, such as, stained sheets, poor front desk service, bugs, and mold in your room.

3 Thank Jeremy S