“Whole Family got sick”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #75 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for 7 nights. The down side is that our whole family got sick. We had 10 people with us. We landed in Ft. Lauderdale and had to take my mom straight to the ER where they had to admit her. She was so dehydrated from stomach issues. The rest of us went to the urgent care. We call it Poopa Canna now. We ONLY ate at the resort. We talked to several other people staying there and they all had the same issues. All of the kids got ear infections from the pool in addition to the stomach issues. So the money you may save staying there will be spent at the Hospital or on your Co-pays.
The hotel grounds are nice, the staff is friendly. The rooms are below par. I would NEVER go back. This hotel ruined the Dominican Republic for me. I don't think we will every go back.

It with a heavy heart that I write this, the people at the resort were very nice. I don't want to hurt the jobs they have there. I just wish I had read this before we went.

5  Thank Helga J
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Bambu

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel overall was very nice, the food was good, but only 3 specialities per week. Found a nice quiet pool near the beach, if you want more busy the swim up pool would suit. The beach was wonderful. Our room was lovely and spacious. It was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tony_mo18
Reviewed 8 July 2014

As a fairly well-travelled couple, we have frequented our fair share of all-inclusive and non all-inclusive resorts... we desperately needed a vacay this past spring but unfortunately found the Riu Bambu a little lack-luster for our taste. It was my first time in Dominican, though my husband had been there previously. We had stayed at several Riu hotels in Mexico prior to this trip. Our room at the Bambu was nice.. the A/C functioned.. the bed gave us back pain, but the shower was great and the balcony was nice. Our room was in the farthest away block from the main lobby of the resort.. we definitely didn't mind the walk and the quiet once we got back to the room. The food was pretty blah... this could be the norm for the DR.. but we enjoy a little more spice and variety.. not many healthy vegetarian options for me. The Mexican a la carte restaurant was horrible.. but I guess that's why we love Mexico so much, the food!! The buffet was good. It was the safest bet everyday. BBQ on the beach several days of our stay was fantastic (for my husband)... drinks left a lot to be desired... premium booze and El Presidente beer would have been nice! Not sure what we were being served... AVOID THE WINE AT ALL COSTS.. we had terrible hangovers after the first night when we foolishly consumed too much "vino tinto"... otherwise, the staff was great (cleaning staff, entertainment staff, bartenders, etc).. friendly, entertaining.. the beach was beautiful.. but very crowded - we found out later, that the beach is a public beach.. which is fine, just busy and difficult to find a "quiet spot" to relax. Weather was great.. hot, hot, hot! Pool was decent.. a little small for the size of the resort... we were there at the tail end of spring break which we didn't realize - there was an abundance of irritating, under-the-legal-age drunk teenagers bothering us in the pool everyday.. but one quick convo with their parents and they were out of the pool ;) A good resort for a family vacation with young kids.. lots of activities for kids and adults plus many excursions if you're interested. A decent all-inclusive... we were just looking for a little more rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: Book a room in the farther away blocks if you want peace and quiet... avoid ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theRoamingMurphys
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The only thing I liked about this hotel was the BEACH. But if you are going with kids it is not the most recommendable thing to stay in. The hotel is still using old school keys to open doors. We were 5 in a room and just got one key. Each additional key was $10. (SMH) The service was not up to par at all with all the other sister hotels or the other resorts around the area. The rooms were not big enough nor were they very clean. The mattresses were very badly taken care off and looked they hadn't been replaced in like 20 yrs. There was no milk cartons for kids, no natural fruit juices only one day I think as a special kind of thing. The only juices in the hotel are Pineapple and Tang "Orange" Watered down. The Beer supposedly is Presidente, but it's in a contraption and I know for a fact it is not Presidente. The food was okay but again not the greatest thing in the world. It was advertised as a 5 star hotel and it was nothing of the sort. When you see several roaches walking around food area you can only fathom what must be behind the kitchen doors.
The only thing I gotta say is that my child got sick from the pool water. Major throat infection. Even the pediatrician who saw her in the Medical Center told me it was the pool water.

2  Thank Tania G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a two part rating about Apple Vacations and Riu Bambu. We were promised a 5 apple hotel. At best, this is 3 apples (stars). The Apple rep at the airport was rude at times; however the Apple rep at the hotel was pleasant and available every day. Food was mediocre, the beach was not kept clean, the beds were extremely hard and no activities for teenagers. The nightly entertainment was disappointing and my last day, I noticed a cat wondering outside in the eating area. Someone broke into my room thru the balcony and stole my cell phone and Ipod. The person has to be familiar with the design of the patio door. Security, who did not speak English or the hotel manager did nothing. I was surprised at the huge language barrier on the resort considering I have been to other Spanish speaking country and there wasn't an issue. I would not recommend this hotel and I probably will not return to the Dominican again.

3  Thank iamlisamarie
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Best beach i have ever seen in my life,very large,lots of palm trees,finest sand.5 star by far..The pools are nice too.The resort itself is a 4 star,service is 4 star,rooms are 4 star and food is 4 star.Nice place for families with kids.But if you are looking to spend your time on the beach,enjoy the sun and play volleyball,this is the place where you want to be.Personally,i found 2 weeks i spend there not enough.

8  Thank leonard s
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We traveled with my sister-in-law and her husband. Stayed for a week and had a great time as there was something to do at all times. The Entertainment Crew are the "soul" of the hotel. It is an all-inclusive hotel, with open bar 24/7 and we didn't saw anyone drunk. You can book a lot of excursions directly at the hotel and don't have to deal with Agencies that don't honor what they offered. Don't ever use E-vacations for booking any trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#63 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bambu? Share your experiences!