“Best holiday we've ever had!”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #75 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We stayed at the Riu Bambu for two weeks from the 16th of March. It was our first time in the Dominican Republic and at an all inclusive hotel. We had a fantastic holiday. We normally book very cheap holidays in Europe which are nowhere near 5 star so when we got a good and cheap deal for this holiday we jumped at it.
I wouldn’t say this is a 5 star hotel but then none of the websites I looked at when booking claimed it was, they were a mixture of 3’s and 4’s. As always do your homework before you go.
Check in – Thomson Rep was friendly, we were given the room key, towel cards, map of the resort, amenities in each hotel and stickers for the suitcases etc straight away. We were in our room with a glass of fresh juice within ten minutes of arriving and our suitcases arrived 5 minutes later.
Room was clean, a good size with two queen beds and small terrace.
Bathroom always had hot water, and you could control the pressure by turning the taps. Towels were very fluffy. My only complaint is (being from the UK) my hairdryer wouldn’t work and the bathroom had the standard useless hairdryer installed. We got ants one day but realised they were feasting on a glass of rum and coke! Remove the glass removed the problem. We ran out of bottled water one day but a quick trip to reception and another was delivered. We heard some people complaining about the lack of small bottles of water for free – these are available from the shop and you could fill them up in your room or any of the bar staff were happy to do this.
Pools were nice, usually plenty of beds close to and far away from the afternoon entertainment depending on your preference. There was sand in the bottom of them but then the hotel cant control kids going back and forward from the beach can they?
Pool bar was great fun and a good place to meet other people. The barman was fab, we had another drink ready when we were still finishing the last one! We were terrible tippers, simply because we never had anything more than the room key on us but we always got good service at all the bars regardless. Think it just takes a little bit of Spanish (my other half) and nice smile (me!).
Beach was beautiful and we never had a problem with any sales people.
Food – We enjoyed the food. I thought there was always a great selection, chefs cooking to order and fresh veg. The omelettes in the morning made my other half’s holiday, there is a reason that people were queuing for them! The a la cartes are in great demand AND first come first served. Our first week we could book as late as 10am but our 2nd week they were booked by 7.30am. The Caribe Grill in Palace Macau was lovely and we ate there a few times, the Italian was good as well.
Drink –We are holiday drinkers, although you can’t really leave the resort at night there are three hotels all with 2 – 3 bars each so we did a few “pub crawls”! We didn’t realise there would be entertainment so this was a bonus when it was good and hilarious when it was bad! Drinks were generally top shelf, and they would top you up if you wanted more rum or whatever.
The nightclub wasn’t our cup of tea but there is a bar outside so you could sit there for a late drink. If you want a free late drink wander round the three hotels and you’ll soon figure out what one has the younger crowd that week, those bars stayed open later depending on how busy it was.
Out of the resort we did the outback safari (no animals, great coffee, rum and tour guide), day trip to Catalina island (Scuba Diving – beautiful) and Hard Rock Café for dinner and drinks.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday, met some great new friends and have beautiful photos to remind us! Your holiday is what you make it!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank fidol

Reviewed 17 April 2009

My husband and I came for our honeymoon and loved it. We had no problems with the hotel, rooms, food etc only disappointment was on our flight we paid for first class seat tickets on the way over and didnt get to sit next to eachother! The hotel was fab, they gave us wedding gifts that was in the room awaiting us when we first arrived. We didnt do any excursions, so by the end of the 2 weeks we did get slighty bored, but still enjoyed ourselves. The food was amazing! I tried new dishes that i never thought i would and now am cooking them at home. Staff were great, friendly and dont know where they get their energy from! Rooms clean and comfy, the maid was friendly and sweet. The best part was going onto the beach on the evening, its pitch black, all you can hear was the waves crashing down, we laid on the loungers looked up and just see all the stars and the odd shooting star. Was bliss! Will definatly go back again but maybe just go for a week.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank boppinbex
Reviewed 16 April 2009

hotel was beautiful and very clean. staff could not do enough for you! food and drinks were spot on location was excellent. we stayed in riu bambu but was in a complex of 5 riu`s so you could use any of them...gorgeous swimming pools stunning beach...carribean atmosphere was amazing 1 week was not long enough we will be going back this year! climate was very hot..too hot at times so take sun block as my partner got sun stroke!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lauralegs11
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I stayed at this resort between March 27th and April 4th 2009. I would advise anyone thinking of travelling to this resort to not waste your money. I have been to Dominican Republic 3 times previous to this vacation and I have stayed at another RIU resort in another country. At this particular resort the people are extremely rude, namely the reception staff and the resort is not up to 5* standards. We found ourselves constantly fighting with the staff for simple accomodations. They definitely do not go out of their way to make the customer happy. If you are looking for a la carte dining, be prepared to wake-up at 7:00am in order to get your reservation like we had to, if you wait unitl 8:00am chances are it is all sold out. I must say the a la carte dining is pretty pathetic anyways considering that it is the daytime pool side buffet turned into the only two restaurants at night on the property, not including buffet. Not really 5* quality. My room was infested with tiny mites that when I would get dressed they would be crawling on my arms. They were all over my washroom, my closet, basically my entire room. Bugs are expected in those sort of climates, however I have never seen anything like this before. If you are looking for a nightlife, forget it, there is none past 11:00 when the show is over and everyone goes to sleep. I could go on and on about all the proplems I had at this resort and how usless the staff was to our simple requests. I am a world traveller and I would like to say I have never been so disgusted and disappointed with any resort and staff combined like I was at this resort. I read other reviews before I went and thought people we nuts to think of the resort so poorly and the staff so terrbily, until I experienced it for myself.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SunShine0584
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I can't say enough about the Bambu when we had our all inclusive there in Jan. The staff went above and beyond. Entertainment was ok. The food was so great with something added every night. They made you feel so welcome and it was a pleasure to serve you. Martina & Rafael were exceptional.We never had a problem with the beds and had plenty of pillows.The beach was so beautiful.Caribean street was a real treat. I found some trinkets at half the price.The flea market down the beach was a huge hit for me,I love to barter.I would return here again in a heartbeat. FABULOUS!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RobKate
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Wow, I just came home from my second time at RiU Bambu, and it was amazing. It had the best beach compared to any of the resorts. The people who work there are really good. They really love doing what they do. Which is a good thing. The entertainment staff was just amazing. They are so funny when it comes to putting on a show. All of the staff is so nice and helpful. They really put on a good show. When the dancers comeout and dance, it is a wonderful show to enjoy. The entertainment staff includes us vistors as well. The land,houses and beaches are just amazingly beautiful. All in all, RiU Bambu is defenitly somewhere I will keep on coming to with family and friends for a wonderful experince in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank beachhbum14
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Reading other reviews has made me decide to write this one. I do agree with one, saying that we must rememeber we are in a different country and would like to add ( we are traveling for a reason) if you wanted english speaking people, Mcdonalds, etc...stay home ! The Riu Bambu is an amazing resort. Everyone is so friendly.....As for the beds, yes they are a little harder than norm but are you really there to sleep anyway???? If you are going to compare food, beds, language...what are you going for? We were a group of 26 and we are all looking forward to going right back next February. I have never met so many people so happy and inviting as the staff of Riu Bambu. We leave -40 weather to enjoy the sun, you should to.... dont let a hard bed or the fact someone speaks another language as you ruin your trip ..... Make of it what you want, heck we did and had the time of our lives !!

• Stayed: February 2009