“LOVED IT!!!”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #79 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
new jersey
Reviewed 12 February 2006

We stayed at the Riu in 2004. It was one of the best hotels we had ever been to. The staff were VERY friendly who took care of all of our needs ASAP. The food was "above average" , but the creativity they displayed with the food, at the buffet, was incredible! The staff would occasionally greet you in the first hours of dinner.

The shows they put on, were much better then the shows we had seen at all our other resorts and most were something to laugh about. The staff danced there hearts out, they weren't just shows they thought of in a couple minutes they took hours of planing, and it REALLY paid off.

• Stayed: March 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,030)

Reviewed 12 February 2006

This hotel is fantastic!!! I was on holiday 2nd - 9th February and had a fab time.
We travelled to this hotel with Thomson Holidays. Our transfer from the airport was seemless and the journey took about 40 minutes. The roads were not as bad as I expected. When we arrived we were greeted with cocktails whilst checking in.
ROOMS - The rooms are a good size and have minibar and optics containing Rum, Vodka, Gin and Brandy. This is refilled every 2 days. You also get a large container of mineral water. The beds are firm but easy to sleep on. Air con is first class. Rooms are very clean.
MEALS - We ate in the Caribe Grill which was a great 5 course meal! Also ate at steakhouse and the mediteranian - both a-la-carte. Again food was of a high standard. You need to book these meals between 7-10 in the morning - the earlier you book the more chance you have of getting a space. We were always up in time to book. The buffets were all fresh and tasty and you had plenty of food to choose from. Loads of choice for vegetarians aswell. Fresh hot doghnuts and pancakes for breakfast which were excellent.
BEACH - this is just like paradise no one could fault it. Check out the pics! Loads of palms if you prefer the shade and also loads of sunbeds in full sun. We always managed to get a sunbed at either the beach or the pool.
BARS - they are all very clean and the bartenders are very good at what they do - aswell as entertaining. Cocktail eat your heart out!!!!!
STAFF - never came accross anyone who was not very kind, friendly and helpful. Always saying "Hola" as you pass. They could not be anymore helpfull. They get paid pennies for what they do, and they really appreciate their jobs!
I can`t really comment on the entertainment as we did not see the shows, as we prefer a quite drink and an early night! What entertainment I saw during the day looked very good and Carribean Street party was well worth a visit (Thursday nights).
We did the marinarium excursion and that was brilliant. You get to snorkle with sharks and rays. Also very entertaining.
Whale watching is also not to be missed I have included some photos! You get to see these animals up very close and they are amazing.
I hope this review has helped you make a good choice.
I would definately say you should go to the Riu Bambu. You can make this holiday as lively as you like, as there is plently to do, but you can also have a quite time like we did. Its your choice and no one bothers you if you don`t want to join in the entertainment.

28  Thank Riubabe
Penna
Reviewed 11 February 2006

My husband and I traveled to Riu Bambo and our first time doing an all inclusive. We have been to Cancun and Acapulco and do cruise a lot. I am very easy to please . First off we were only going on a short trip 3nites and 4 days. Our trip started off bad when our aiport travel tour did not have a bus to fit enough people. We had 14 people that had to wait 25 min. outside waiting for them to decide to get another bus then our 25 minute ride turned into 1 1/2hour when our driver had no idea what resort he was going to. Upon arrival at Riu Bambo check in was fine at 5:20 pm when we landed at 2:40pm. Our room was nice nothing to call home about. Beds are very hard and had terrible time sleeping. It is very hard to talk to maid asked for 2 extra pillows and she came in with four clean pillow cases. Your service you get does depend on if you tip them. Did have lots of tiny tiny little bugs. The food was cold and was repeated every nite. The resturants you make reservation for are held in the outdoor resturant you eat lunch at. All they do is put table cloths on the tables and serve you. We thought you went to a resturant not sit in chairs were people sit in wet bathing suits and sun tan lotion all afternoon. The entertainment ok for the staff putting on the shows. The drinks were o.k. as long as you tip the bartender and make sure you ask for rum in your Pina Colada. Beaware that the goverment shuts down the power when ever they want. We came back from the beach at 10.30 a.m. on saturday when checking out to go to our room and shower and we had no water or electricty. We were told by front desk that it should be back on at 2:00 p.m. and ask to check out late so we could shower before are 4 hour flight home and was told no that if we were not out of are room by 12:00 noon they would send someone to collect are bags. Front desk was very very rude and not understanding at all. I believe that once they have your money they don't care. Not even the toilets can be flushed which was pretty disgusting. Then we wern't suppose to be picked up until 3:15 for our ride back to the airport and was picked up at 2:00 pm in which we had to leave with out showering since the power was still off. Never heard of anything like it. Spending all this money on a trip and staying at a 4 hotel and not having water or power. Being served warm soda ,water and cold food for lunch. Would never go back. Goin to stick to cruisin. Must say that the beach was beautiful the weather was good and the grounds to the Riu is beautiful. That I will give them a give them a five for.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 9 February 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Riu Bambu from Jan. 28-Feb. 4, 2006. We had a great time, met some great people and took home some great memories. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have fun and enjoy their vacation. Sure I can sit here and complain about every little thing that went wrong, but for what? For a week we lounged in the sun, hung out by the beach, drank, ate and were merry. How can anyone complain about that? We definately did not want to leave! But for those of you who really want to know:

HOTEL: THe hotel was great! Neat, clean and everyone is nice. THey go out of their way to help you! Although the front desk is not that useful, my advice is to find a manager if you want answers! I suggest TOM! =)

BEACH: Beautiful...see my pictures!

FOOD: Yes, it gets repetitive. My advice would be to find a few things you like and stick with them. They cook differently there than in the US so some things might bother your stomach.

DRINKS: Very fruity and very sweet! I would suggest the SHOTS! =)

CLEANLINESS: Everything from our room to the pool and the dining areas were very neat and clean.

ENTERTAINMENT: The Anamacion Team was GREAT! Not only do they work all day with the guests, they also put on the shows at night. It's a tough job playing in the sun all day...but someone has to do it I guess =) They made us feel very welcomed!

If you are going to this resort have a good time, it's all in what you make of it!

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 February 2006

I stayed at the Riu Bambu hotel Jan. 29th - Feb. 5th. - I had the time of my life!!!!

Although, I don't do much traveling, so I do not have much to compare this resort to, I thought it was amazing. I went with my friend's family. (I am 19, my friend is 18, her two parents and two sibilings who are 8 and 3.)

We spent most days just relaxing on the beach and spent most nights at the bar and disco. The staff is extremly friendly! The rooms were average - like most have said the beds are a little hard, but by the time it is time to go to bed, you are wiped out - so they didn't bother me at all.

I highly recommend to go snorkling - the fish are gorgeous, they swim right up next to you - the water is so amazing!!!!!

I can't say enough about this hotel - I could go on forever. We are already planning our next trip!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Reviewed 8 February 2006

We spent a week at the Riu Bambu from 30th January to 6th February 2006. Neither of us had been to Dominican Republic before and had read lots of mixed reviews before we went. All I can say is anyone who gives a bad review must be pretty fussy. We had a fantastic week, the beach was beautiful, the sea was warm and clear and even when it rained a little it was still hot, we just sat under a sun umbrella in our swim suits until it passed and sipped a cold drink. The hotel rooms were a nice size and very clean, the bathrooms were also very clean and in good condition. The food was very good with lots of choice, we ate in one of the A la Carte restaurants one night, but prefered the buffet in the Colonial restaurant. The public areas of the hotel were all kept very clean and the two pools were also very clean, we loved the swim up bar. The staff were all friendly and helpful and worked very hard. We went without our children this time, but have decided we will definately take them there next year, they will love it.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2006

We just got back from a fun week at RIU Bambu. The resort is beautiful, clean and well organized. The rooms are sizable with a mini bar that is stocked every other day with liquor, beer, pop & water and yours to drink as you please. It's a short walk from your room to get around the resort and to the beach. The food is quite good, a little repetitive but they are catering to a variety of tastes & cultures so they're fairly mainstream (we couldn't get a reservation for other restaurants because you need to get there at like 7AM to book it so if a la carte is you thing get in line early!), the Mexican themed night at Colonial was really good. The pools are a little small and a little too shaded compared to other resorts I've stayed in - if you want a lounger, once again, you have to be up mighty early to snag one just go down put your towel on it and it's yours for the day!(which is consistent with every resort I've ever been to!). The bars are great and most of the staff are super friendly (and flirtatious!). The beach is beautiful and breezy which does give the ocean great waves that my kids loved diving into - lots of fun. The kids club was ok, in the brochure it says activities from 9:30am-12 - its not, more like 10:45 to 12, then 3 til 5 is more like 3-4!! which was a little disappointing especially if you're looking for some time to relax away from the kids the odd time. Angela who runs the activities is great with the kids and they do have fun even though it's short. The daily games with the Animacion Team are a good laugh, I recommend you participate - their favourite phrase is "I lova ma joba" which was funny, they are always so happy and they work LONG hours. Shows in the evening were enjoyable, they had a dance show, a Michael Jackson impersonator - who was excellent! and they did Grease! The staff really appreciate it when you try to speak a bit of Spanish to them not that you have to - most of them speak 3/4 languages anyway! Overall it was a good vacation - I wouldn't go back because I dont like to go to the same place twice, however I would recommend it as a nice "family" vacation, I wouldn't choose this resort if I was single and looking for a good place to party! P.S. I should forewarn though that all four of us got quite sick on our last day - not quite sure what it was! However it wouldn't put me off, you can easily get as sick just staying at home and eating locally!!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member