We have usually stayed at the Punta Cana Princess (see my previous reviews) but it was fully booked this year for the weeks we wanted. So this year we decided to try the Riu Palace Macao adult resort. It did not disappoint. Food: Excellent and varied. I'm not sure why people complain about the food - the main buffet at the Riu Macao had everything and anything your stomach could desire with enough variety from day to day to satisfy even the most picky eater. The specialty restaurants were fine if you wanted a different atmosphere. One complaint was that for some reason the servers in the specialty restaurants were much less friendly than at the buffet. As well, bring a sweater to the Japanese restaurant - like the service, its cold. Beach/Pool: Wonderful. What was most surprising that there was never an issue of getting lounge chairs either around the pool or on the beach area in front of the hotel. Even though there were a few people playing the towel game, it was not an issue with lots of chairs in good spots to go around. Service: Friendly and helpful in the buffet and at the bars. While tips were appreciated they were pooled by staff and did not make a difference in the quality of service. Room: Clean, nicely appointed. We loved the mini bar and "wall bar". We had a room at the end of the corridor (Rm 3398) and while it did not overlook the ocean, it had a huge balcony and lots of privacy. Reception: Accommodating. Our friends had a first floor room which was dark and there was no problem in changing this the next day to the room next to ours. Entertainment: Hokey. If you want entertainment go to Las Vegas. These were well-meaning amateurs and lots of fun to watch, especially the "circus" in the outside venue. Dancing on the patio to a small band was lovely. One final comment, this five star hotel was well worth the extra cost compared to our usual stay at a four star resort. The comments that this is a place for old people or people with walkers are absolutely false and unfair. The place does go quiet after 11:00. If you want to party after hours go elsewhere - you will appreciate it and so will we!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Adults Only & 24 H All Inclusive Hotel Riu Palace Macao opens all year round and is located on the beautiful Playa Arena Gorda beach, in holiday area Punta Cana on the Dominican Republic's eastern coast. RIU Palace is the most elegant category in the RIU hotel chain, with hotels that meet the highest standards in terms of luxury, excellence and sophistication, creating a unique experience. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Punta Cana Airport PUJ (25 km) and El Cortecito (10 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 364 comfortably furnished rooms with free Wi-Fi and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa, or get in shape at the gym. 4 outdoor pools, 1 children's pool, Water park "Splash Water World" . Day and evening entertainment, as well as our Pacha Discotheque. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our buffet restaurant, Japanese and Italian, Fusion, Culinary restaurant and Steakhouse, as well as 6 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Stayforlong S.L., Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana