Hotel Riu Palace Macao
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
4,309 results
All reviewscaribbean streetpool barkrystal restaurantpalm treesel patiodominican republicthomson repjacuzzi suitea la carte restaurantssteakevening entertainmentanimation teammain restaurantplenty of sunbedsrelaxing holidayan adults only resortother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Myself, along with 20 others, visited this "All adult" resort a few weeks ago. This was my vacation out of the USA, and I was super excited about the get away, but much to my surprise, I was not pleased at all. Upon check in, the staff was very friendly and attentive and we checked in very fast. We were escorted to our room, which was suppose to have been two full/queen sized beds, but we only had one, and they brought another small bed to the room, that was hard as two bricks. We were suppose to move to another room the next day, but we didn't bother, we just shared the one bed. The rooms have an awful odor, kind of a mildew smell, that you will not be able to get rid of, and you will carry it back home with you. The drinks, were not the best, and the selection was few. Even though you can drink all you want, there was several nights that I had five to six drinks, and didn't have so much as a buzz and I am not a heavy drinker. There is really no entertainment, outside of going to the pool, or beach, or sitting out getting a tan. The swim up beach was kind of cool. If you are looking to party, please be mindful that there are no big parties going on. They have this band that plays and sings, but if you don't understand the Language, it will be a bore and a drag. We walked to nearby hotels, to find some excitement, none found. We visited a club nearby, and they don't play American music either. We had drinks that we had been walking around the hotel with, and we could not carry them into this bar/club. This club was full of nothing but teenagers, some who were making out in right in the front of everyone. The food selection was the same ole, same ole, everyday. There is a steak, and japanese restaurant, but you have to make reservations, so you must do it, as soon as you arrive. You can pay almost $100 to go on different excursions and do a little sight seeing. There was soooo many people over 60, not that I have anything against them, but I am only 36 and I was looking to have some fun! This place is for people who are retired or almost on their way to a nursing home. I would not return to this place, nor would I recommend it to anyone. Our group had all different age groups, and no one seemed to enjoy themselves. This was a week, I could have stayed home!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kay C
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a week's visit to the Riu Palace Macao. This was our fifth time in the Dominican Republic, and our first visit to Riu. In comparison to the Excellence and the Grand Bahia Principe, we most likely will not return to this resort, however we did enjoy our stay.

We found the food at the breakfast and dinner buffet to be better than the restaurant dinners, so after a couple of restaurant tries, we decided to stick to the buffet. They have a huge selection to choose from, really something for everyone. This was the best buffet out of the three resorts we have visited. The lunch buffet outdoors was hit or miss. One drawback was that the outdoor eating areas allowed smoking. This resort was definitely smoker-friendly, however it would have been nice to ban smoking at the eating establishments.

Our room was clean, and had a decent view. I was a bit disappointed with the amenities, as we were not provided shampoo (which I had read about, and brought my own) nor were there any bath robes as we had at the two other resorts. Also, If you are one who needs a private bathroom, this is not a resort for you. There are large vents in the door, and glass tiles between the shower and the sleeping area. The refrigerator was always well-stocked, and the steward refilled with requests. The water bottles were gigantic, and awkward to carry around. We ended up saving empty Pepsi bottles from dinner to refill for the day.

The beach was by far the best our of the three resorts. There was never a lack of chairs, and the swimming area was large and safe for swimming. One drawback was that there were quite a few children on the beach... not that I don't love children, but at an adult only resort, the beach area should be child-free (and worry-free). The pools were nice, with a good selection of seating. I loved the fact that the beach chairs were covered by a retractable roof, so you could sit in the sun or shade. I did not like wearing an wristband, or having towel tickets. The Excellence did not require either.

The drinks were horrible at just about all of the bars at the Riu. The mojito I ordered literally had huge branches of mint twigs sticking out, and tasted mostly of soda. The martini's were thick and sweet, and the pina coladas and daquiris were made with cheap tequila, even upon second request, there was tequila. We ended up sticking mostly to Presidente beer for evening cocktails.

The nightly shows were entertaining, but don't expect any high quality productions. Simply attend for the culture and entertainment, and you will be delighted. However, the resort "late evening" entertainment on the veranda was often dull. A violin player one night (very good, however just about put me to sleep) and slow sultry singers. Some upbeat dance music would have hit the spot for my husband and I who rarely get an evening out to dance. Something in between the lively disco and the violin music would have been nice.

Being accustomed to casinos, I guess we assumed that a casino associated with the Riu hotel chain would be legitimate. We were greeted at the door upon entering the casino and given free chips to play a roulette game in the back corner. The game consisted of throwing marbles into holes with numbers. The numbers were added up and markers were placed on corresponding numbers on a table. There was a variety of ways to win chips. We started off winning small amounts quickly. We needed 50 points to win the jackpot, and quickly earned 49, like in a matter of 15 minutes. However, at that time the bet began to double. We soon realized that the man running the station was pocketing marbles so we could not score on the high points. However, at this point, we had already signed our wager form. After being taken into a back office, we felt pressure to pay, regardless of what we saw. We were in a foreign country, with bullies. What were we to do? The Riu should think about hiring an honest casino company. If you enjoy casinos, my advice is to go to the Hard Rock casino, a twenty dollar cab ride away.

5  Thank LPeggy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I returned from a 14 night holiday at the Riu Palace Macao last week. The hotel is situated on a large Riu Resort complex that contains five hotels. We chose this hotel because it is adults only and I had read one or two critical reviews on tripadvisor before we went, but we found nothing that we could possibly criticise.
A couple of days before we left home, I had emailed the hotel to request an 'upper floor' room (to minimise the liklihood of ants, cockroaches, etc.). We were allocated a room on the third floor (top floor) with a balcony overlooking the Riu Bambu: that suited us very well as it proved to be very quiet. Upon check-in, we were given cards that could be exchanged for pool/beach towels and we were given sign in passwords for the free wi-fi that operates throughout the hotel without restriction. Our room was immaculately clean with plenty of storage space and a very high ceiling as we were on the top floor. There were plenty of electric sockets for charging gadgets and these would take either the U.S. flat pin adaptors or the European round pin adaptors. The in-room safe was complementary and easy to operate. The bathroom provided twin washbasins and an enormous shower (four feet by five!). I estimate that twelve people could have fitted in there together, but I was unable to find any willing volunteers!
The main buffet restaurant was very tastefully decorated, probably the nicest that we have found out of many AI hotels, and the choice of food was very wide ranging with four or five fish options, several meat options, a wide range of salads, vegetables, pastas and puddings. Sushi was a regular option also! We found the drinks service to be first class - I tend to drink a few glasses of wine with my meals and have found some hotels to be rather slow in replenishing your glass: however, in this hotel the staff would offer to top up my glass whenever it got half way down! We tried each of the four a la carte restaurants (Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse & Gourmet) during the first week and, while it was nice to have waiter service, my wife and I preferred the main "el patio" buffet restaurant.

Between the Macao and the Punta Cana is a Caribbean Street, with a number of small tourist shops that seem to be open every day. That street is also the venue for a street party every Thursday evening with live outdoor music for all Riu guests.

The pool area was very nice and we found no shortage of sunbeds, even though this was during the Easter break. However, as other reviewers have pointed out, the swim up bar tended to fill up with loud, friendly Americans in the afternoon. As it seemed to be very hot around the pools, we sometimes moved to use sun-beds on the beach where there always seemed to be a refreshing breeze. The bar service also operates on the beach and the staff are not looking for tips each time they serve you, although the occasional tip is much appreciated. I would advise that you take US dollars rather than local currency and reception are happy to break down larger denominations into single dollar bills!
Every member of staff and the entertainments team was friendly and gave excellent service. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

18  Thank TimC_11
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel is great! What a location beautiful beach, fantastic service, lovely staff, very clean and well kept hotel!!! But just not as grand as some of the riu palaces!
The only thing that wasn't great was the wine except from the sparkling wine ( champagne) But there was plenty of other types of alcohol to choose from!
There is no sports bar and no broadway productions! But apart from that this was a fantastic holiday! Thank you to all of the staff at the riu Macao keep up the very good work!

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy!!
4  Thank nicola c
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went to the RUI April 16th-April 20th. Great Staff, very friendly. Couple of issues I would mention. First the alcohol is not the best nor the mixed drinks. Only El Presidente beer, only good if you are already drunk. Then there were kids everywhere on the beach and even in the resort late in the evening 11:00pm etc. Just average for the price. There are better resorts for less $$.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean for sure.
4  Thank Brad D