First of all I would like to emphasize that this was our sixth visit to this hotel. Our last visit was in 2009 after which I stated that the hotel was outdated and needed to be refurbished. Now in May 2014 we returned to Palace Macao and found out that the management refurbished the hotel in a positive way without forgetting the old characteristics, which in fact made us feel at home again.
Reason for choosing this hotel is mainly based on the fact it is a compact hotel with approx 370 rooms which does not make you feel like being in a enormous building like Palace Bavaro next door or Palace Punta Cana 300 meters away.
Reading previous reviews I feel that people have a different mindset planning vacations in this hotel. Although mentioned as a five star rated hotel people with lots of travel experience should know that this in fact is four star in general. But why talk about stars for holiday resorts? For us the main thing is that we spend our holidays in an environment we can relax and find the time to do things we have not got the time for during the rest of the year. Reviewing hotels like this is mainly pointing at the positive points and making suggestions to improve points that could be better. Still we as Europeans and other country citizens spend our holidays in a developing country and it is not fair to expect Hilton, Sheraton etc. treatment.
Further to our holidays in Macao I would say that we spend 17 nights in the hotel from May 8 until May 25 and did not find anything to argue about. We had a room at the back site of the hotel at the 3rd floor with a huge round balcony that looked over the back entrance of the hotel. Indeed the room has changed from a dark colored to a white and bright looking room. Bathroom has been updated a lot with a walk in shower and 2 sinks. The room was really quiet, except when during the night at approx 2 am people left the discotheque shouting around the Carribean street. Of course this is not subject to hotel's responsibility, but partying people should pay more respect to the sleeping guests.
We are quite satisfied about the food offered in the various restaurants. Every morning we enjoyed breakfast at the terrace of the main restaurant and had lots of choices to enjoy. During these almost 3 weeks we visited all the a la carte restaurants without any booking problems in the early morning. Two times we had to book for the night after, but no problem for us. For us the Steakhouse was the best experience where we enjoyed one of the best Rib Eyes we ver took. Krystal is very nice because of its beautiful view over the ocean and food is really fusion like, but nor special. Kabuki (Japanse) and Volare (Italian) were ok.
The beach of this hotel is fabulous and offers enough beds in the morning. The beach in total provides the opportunity to make long walks as we did up to the Hard Rock Hotel about 4 km's away to the west. Heading to the Hard Rock Hotel area will even make you feel more in paradise as the beach there is far not as crowded as near the Riu Resorts Area. So I would recommend to do this.
Finally I would like to recommend sailing with one of the catamarans at the beach near Palace Macao at Scuba Caribe. This is nice to do and easy to learn. Please ask the service people to give you a lesson and enjoy the sailing. You can do this for one hour every day and it is included in the accommodation. Do not forget to take the insurance for eventual damage as boats could easily be damaged by big underwater rocks in the ocean!
Finally I would say that we renewed our experience to this beautiful site and resort and are looking forward to our next visit. Gracias por todos to all the staff at Riu Palace Macao for making this holiday unforgettable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana