“Don't accept the first room you are offered if its not what you expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Macao

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #38 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
LTNJET
“Don't accept the first room you are offered if its not what you expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned from a very good weeks stay at the Riu Palace Macao. Check in was handled quite quickly considering the large number of us doing so, we were almost last to get our keys and set off in the direction of our room. I had emailed in advance to ask for a high floor room on the front of the hotel so was a little surprised when we found ourselves on the ground floor at the back of the hotel and facing the kitchens/dustbins. A swift return to Reception followed and were asked to be moved as the room allocated had little natural light and the view was not acceptable. We were told that nothing could be done for that night but we would be moved the next day for definite, this accepted we resolved to stay in room 3099 that night. As soon as we returned to the room I received a call advising a sea view room had been found and would we move straight away to it ? This we did and the difference was amazing, a high floor and an ocean view!Our grateful thanks to Widy who handled our problem.
Apart from our initial problem we could not have been more pleased with the hotel. The location, beach, food and the amazing staff made this a memorable holiday. The 'Steakhouse' restaurant is a very good alternative to the main buffet restaurant, but even here you will be spoilt for choice of food on offer.
The pool area gets quite busy but there are always plenty of sun beds available here and on the beach. It is a shame that the 'habit of reserving sunbeds' has found its way to this Caribbean island.
All in all an excellent property with good facilities for all, young and older.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 3099 !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LTNJET

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having just returned from this beautiful country and this equally beautiful hotel our holiday was amazing! We travelled for 10 nights with Thomson (the Caribbean Cruise is most definitely a recommendable excursion whilst out there!!)

The staff literally made our holiday, they were soo helpful and always so welcoming considering how much they truly work hard, me and my boyfriend most definitely take our hats off to them!
The food was absolutely lush, my boyfriend is a very picky eater but always managed to bring back a plate full to our table. DEFINITELY book into the steakhouse and also for the younger couples, make sure the male has a pair of LONG TROUSERS packed, you will not be allowed to eat in the specialised restaurants without them (main buffet smart shorts are fine.)
The staff do not beg for tips as we was worried after reading other reviews before coming. Although out of kindness and appreciation we did leave the serving staff a tip at the very end of our holiday.

Incredible free WIFI everywhere on the resort and yes that does include the beach!

Our room was gorgeous and so spacious, the bed amazingly comfy and we used the safe all the time (not that we didn't trust the staff, just peace of mind knowing your valuables were safe.)

We never once had a problem getting our sun beds (whether shade/sun) although the comfy beds were saved on a morning so be an early bird if you want one of those! The beach was our place to soak up the sun as you always have the sea breeze as we found it was more bearable for us to sit there and tan. Plenty of beds and plenty of palm trees for the shade.

All in all, we will definitely return in a few more years as this hotel really made us have an unforgettable time in the Dominican Republic. Also a definite recommend for our family and friends, only couples though! *****

Room Tip: I believe our room was 2087, lovely view, quiet and no stairs (still had a balcony)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Molly S
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for a week in April to celebrate my partner's 30th birthday. I cannot fault it. From the smooth arrival with cocktails, to the food, facilities and entertainment. The food was delicious with lots of choice. The pool and beach area were great too and the grounds were very well maintained. For me, the staff were the highlight. The Dominican people are extremely friendly and provide excellent service. On my partners birthday, the maids decorated the room with balloons etc which was a lovely surprise. We went with Thomson and would recommend the Caribbean cruising excursion. Paradise. I have recommended the hotel to my friends and family.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank H0nestAndReliable
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

we have spent a wonderful time at this hotel. We got married on may 7th, the hotel gave us the jacuzzi suite, ocean front.....wow what a room (3377), the staff was amazing, the service also, the food was better at the buffet (this is a first for me) usually, the a la carte restaurants are better than the buffet but not this hotel, the food was good and for all taste. if you wanna have a little more fun, during the day go on the bamboo side because on the macao side there is no music at the beach. the beach is beautiful and overall we had a great time. Now for the wedding, DO NOT make business with Mayelina contreras....she just wants your money and does not care for your wedding. My friends took car of the decoration of the table for our dinner because otherwise, I would not have had much. maybe if it did not rain that day, all would have been ok, but her plan B was not at all what she said it would be. First, she made my guest walk for ten minutes to get to the other resort where my wedding occured....in the rain.....and then she made me walk back after the ceremony because the taxi was included for me only on the way there but not to come back....by chance I had money on me so I could take a cab but this is not how you want to start your wedding day....overall, the photographers saved the day because they were awesome (antillana the photographia), I will post a review on them, they are great. I had the dinner at the steakhouse and it was really good, the cake was amazing, the best cake ever, it was so big that I gave a piece to all the staff there.
so, the hotel is perfect but not the wedding coordinator, I would not keep her on my staff, really poor service for what it cost.

Room Tip: jacuzzi suite.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Dominique D
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I recently returned from a 2 weeks stay at this lovely Hotel firsty I would like to say the staff are great so friendly.The rooms are beautiful modern and spacious cleaned everyday spotless fridge filled every second day.The grounds and pools are nice one was noisey at the pool bar the other quiet but most days we went down to the beautiful beach as it was too warm by the pool you even have a drinks service on the beach.I had wifi throughout the hotel even on the beach.Food and drink nice cocktails amazing we met really nice people and had cocktails every day at 5.The entertainment was ok some shows boring but the rock ages show was great and the entertainment team was so much fun work so hard and long hours Alex Johan MJ and the funniest guy ever Spagetti.The staff were great Octavia from the restaurant and Johan from the cafe/bar are so nice.The nightclub pacha was a good laugh bit sleezy as all the locals go in.My only two negatives about this hotel are the pools were too deep as a non swimmer I could not participate in the aqua gym as no shallow end the other is the staff must be roasting dressed in dinner suits etc in that heat gardeners with wellies on.We had a great holiday but unfortunately we will not return to the dominican as I did not like being stuck in the same place and a bit boring at times.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tracey M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Myself and my partner are both 25 and were looking for a holiday to Paradise. When booking, Riu Palace Macao looked like the perfect place.
Little did we know that we would be blown away with everything this hotel had to offer and it completely exceeded our expectations! We arrived on the 27th May to an amazing welcome and an ice cold drink, the easiest transition to our room (which took all of 5 minutes from the time of arriving. It was modern and bright.. the bathroom, my gosh!!!! to die for!) The staff are fantastic, friendly and extremely helpful! Nothing is too much to ask from them. For an all inclusive, and for what we paid (which was just over £1000 each) We felt that we should have paid more, the hotel itself is just stunning and the pool was amazing.
If you are looking for a hotel for you and your partner, or even to go to alone, I highly recommend this sanctuary. Its relaxing, spacious, meters from the beach and there is lots of entertainment throughout the day. I honestly could not fault this holiday one bit!!!!
If you are thinking of doing any excursions, the Adventure buggies is lots of fun, and the Eco Safari - caribe is amazing - you get on a pimped up american school bus, drink copious amounts of rum, dance with the tour guides and get to see the way the dominicans live! hands on and full of fun!
The food in the hotel was great... so much variety and yum! Thursday nights are their special nights and every lady gets a beautiful red rose :-). We would also recommend the "krystal" hotel which is included in all inclusive - you book the day before you want to go.
There are lots of day activities and entertainment provided by the outstanding Entertainment team! Alex and Naomi made the holiday a fab one! You would never of thought they were working - Alex especially is full of life, fun and treats everyone like they're family. Absolutely fantastic team of people!
We went with Thomson and I tell you what, The reps in the hotel are fabulous! Monica was so so helpful. I suffered from Prickly heat really badly and had an excursion to do the Zip wires and the day before i requested to cancel the excursion. She was amazing and sorted it out for me and also went out of her way to get me something to soothe the pain. I was so grateful.

Lastly.. we met the three most amazing couples, which made the holiday even better! We've made life long friends who will hopefully stay in touch forever.

A Magical holiday... We landed in Heaven! Arrived back to reality on Saturday the 7th June and the holiday blues have taken over. Going to Dominican - Punta Cana? CHOOSE RIU PALACE MACAO AND YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: USE DOLLARS - Not pesos!!!!! We struggled using our pesos in shops and for excursions Part take in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Sophia_Ella_Rose
Margate, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

What can i say. What a great holiday. Went to Mexico last year and had a great time and did'nt think we would ever it be able to match it, but we was wrong. This was well on par with it.
We stayed from 23/6 to 6/6 and i dont think there was anything negative to say.
The staff were fantastic, food was excellent ( and i am a very fussy eater ), beach and pool were wonderful. Room was very clean and they even decorated it for my wife's birthday.
When we arrived, we was'nt happy where our room was, so had a word with our Rep and within 5 minutes were changed to a room with a much better view.
The buffet restaurant, i have never seen anything like it, so much choice and all tasted good. The only other restaurant we went in was the Steakhouse ( 3 times ) and it was gorgeous.
The entertainment staff were brill, especially Alex, Naomi and Brenda.
We pretty much kept to ourselves the first week but the second week we got talking to 4 or 5 other couples and that put the icing on the cake as we had such a laugh the whole week,so if you read this guys, you know who you are and thanks.
The only slight negative i have, is with Thompsons Airline as paid £300 each to upgrade on Dreamliner and then still got charged for peanuts and crisps which i think is wrong, but that did.nt stop us having a damn good holiday and would deffo go back.
People who write loads of negatives on here, i just can't understand. They must be really hard to please

Room Tip: Any room facing pool would be good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple