I have been meaning to post this review for months so I apologize for it being late. We stayed at the Macao in March of 2014. It was our first time in the PC and at an AI. We traveled with another couple.
Airport: We had a direct flight from Pittsburgh through Apple. Using the advice from the forums, we sailed through the airport and were on the bus to the resort within 25 minutes. The ride to the resort took about 30 minutes with stops. Effortless! We were at our resort by noon.
Check-in: No problems. Our room was not ready so they took all our bags to our friends' room since it was ready (rooms were side by side) so we could change and go to the pool/beach and grab a bite to eat. They promised to move our luggage over within the half hour. We were relaxing poolside in minutes.
Rooms: We had a superior pool view room. We were able to see clear out to the ocean. The room was spotless and cleaned well each day. Towels were plentiful and fridge was restocked each day. We left a note if we needed anything and our requests were always granted. Thank you Google translate. Please note that the AC and fridge work only when the light switch was left in the on position. There was no musty smell in the room. A good number of hangers were provided and there was a nice drying rack on the balcony. This made refreshing suits and clothes easy. WiFi works best on the balcony or at the pool but that can be a common issue with buildings with several floors.
Pool: Both pools are lovely and clean. We loved that you had no problems finding shade or sun. The pool bar got a little rowdy in the afternoon as there was a large group celebrating a wedding but it was fun to watch. There was a bit of a towel game in regards to saving loungers but we are all early risers but it would be an issue if you slept late. We were also there in peak season. We did notice that the drinks were typically better at the bar behind the pool as opposed to the one in the actual pool. And the drinks in the actual lounge bar were the best.
Beach: AMAZING! We did not find the water rough but we are used to the Carolina coast. The sand was super soft and there are plenty of loungers and shade. There is not a beach bar but there was service. The pool bar was also close.
Food/drinks: We were pleased with the food and the alcohol. The buffet had a good variety for dinner. Breakfast was fantastic. The lunch buffet is okay and the pizza and burgers were quite good. The coffee bar is wonderful. We had coffee drinks each night after dinner.
Entertainment/Staff: The entertainment staff works extremely hard. Brenda was great. Fortunately we did eat an early dinner because by 730 the lounge area gets crowded and seating can become difficult to find. They do need to do something about the inside room they use for some of the evening shows. Very musty. VERY. We called it the stinky room.
All in all we had a great trip. We would definitely return in a few years. We are traveling to PC again this coming March but will have a 15 yo with us so an AO is out of the question.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana