“Most honest and to the point review you will see !!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #38 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 22 March 2009

We went to Riu Palace Macao from March 7 to March 21,2009 .

ROOM When we arrived to the hotel it was late and noticed only one bell boy so we managed to take our own suitcases to our room, only to find our key would not open the door. We continued to have problems with the door for a majority of the trip, not even the service people could open the door but they would not change our room. Also the toilet tank fills up every five minutes so it sounds like its flushing all night. Otherwise the room was clean and during our stay we only found one big bug in our room. DO NOT DRINK OR BRUSH YOUR TEETH WITH THE WATER. The cleaning staff are very good at replacing the water jug as needed, they check in atleast 2 times a day. Pop, Soda water and Beer in also replenished. They are also generous with the bath towels always replacing them. Actually the MAIDS WERE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

POOL Small ,not great and very cold all the time. Pool bar was great and BONUS it has a great soft serve ice cream bar.

RESTAURANTS AND BUFFET 4 restaurants Kabuki (japanese),Caribe Grill (buffet noon and evening sit down dinner) ,Steak House and Krystal and one buffet. Each rest had its good points but some of the menu items not so good. In the buffet the food is generally the same from day to day, not great but not bad at all. I would have liked some special food nights like lobster or crab legs but I was disappointed. NEED TO RESERVE RESTAURANT EARLY ALSO THE LATEST BEING 10:30 BECAUSE THEY WONT ACCEPT AFTER THIS POINT.

RESTAURANT STAFF They were generally all pleasant. Many people don't leave tips but we did, they make very little money why not brighten their day.

ENTERTAINMENT STAFF AND ENTERTAINMENT The best guy is MR. WELCOME. They were all very nice and spoke to all the guests and encouraged us to participate in all the activities at the resort that are free like.. Darts, Shuffleboard, Archery, Bean Bag Toss,Bocce and Ping Pong.
At night 8:00pm BINGO is played, 9:30 is Awards from day games and 9:45 is the Show. Unfortunately the few that I saw were NOT VERY GOOD and the turn out to the show is not good also. I really couldn't understand why the turnout was so bad, when there is nothing else to do.

BEACH Was gorgeous, nice soft sandy long beach and the water was a beautiful colour but not calm. We encountered alot of waves washing ashore. It didn;t bother me since I know how to swim but very unsafe for young children. I heard this is not typical but this was my experience. I found the water in Jamaica calmer and warmer for sure. TOWELS FOR BEACH USE ARE PLENTY BUT LOUNGERS WERE NOT. NEED TO RESERVE EARLY BEFORE 8:30 OR 9:00am for POOL area but later for beach.

GENERAL INFORMATION We still had a great time and met alot of nice people. The resort gets alot of people from Germany, England, France and Argentina. Many of the entertainment staff are bilingual so they announce everything in Spanish, German, English then in French ALL THE TIME!!!!

I would not give this hotel a 5+ rating ,nor a five, maybe a 4.

*****I GOT REALLY SICK ON DAY 10 AND I DON'T EVEN DRINK. I DID NOT LEAVE MY ROOM IT WAS REALLY BAD BUT IT ONLY LASTED A DAY .I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS VIRAL OR FOOD POISONING BUT IT WAS AWEFUL. I noticed alot of people had different degrees of sickness. When you see crackers and rice for breakfast, you know why.

***** The so called fitness gyms were aweful. Everything was rusted severely. Only one or two treadmills. NO AIRCONDITIONING, RIDICULOUS!!!!

FRONT DESK STAFF - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S HOW YOU GET THE BEST SERVICE.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank FUN_in_the_SUN061
Write a ReviewReviews (4,200)

Reviewed 20 March 2009

This resort would be OK, depending on what you are looking for. It has it's positives and negatives, in which I'll give you my opinion for both.
So I do apologize if this is a bit long - but I'll tell you how it is.

Older Crowd
If you are looking to get away and have some piece and quiet this would be an OK resort. It appears the tourists were of the age of 50 or older. My sister and I, both in our lower 30's wanted to socialize and mingle with others as well as take part in some of the physical and nightlife activities. If you are looking for a more an upbeat envirionment - in which you can still relax and have some piece and quiet, you will need to go next door to the pool area ( to the right as you are facing the beach ) FYI - By staying at the macao, you are entitle to eating, dining, and viewing the daily shows at all the Riu's except for the Riu Palace. SUGGESTION: Get a list of the events from all three resorts: macao, taino, bambu and naiboa.
I do have a couple other issues with this resort besides it appears to have attract older tourists.
Age of Resort
First of all, this resort is older and a little warn down. My showerhead broke the first day there and it took them two days to fix it. The appearance of the hotel also looked like it had some miles on it also. ( not bad though).
VULTURES:
Second of all, there are alot of people who approach you to sell their product or service. Some of them do not take NO as an answer. Many of them are like vultures in which they will not leave you alone. Also, some of the entertainment staff ( at both resorts ) will persistently hit on your wife, girlfriend especially if you step away for a few moments. In my case I was there with my family, including my sister. Once it was known she was my sister, they would not leave me and my family alone as for most of them are males. The nightlife ... well ... the only option you have is the Pachaw, in which I highly advised against. Or you can spend quite a bit of money to take a taxi to go to the area where they have the nightclub. Or you can go thru the travel agency and wait for a shuttle to take you there ... but you have to stay til 4pm unless you take a taxi home. The pachaw, the club on the resort - drinks are not included, in which I feel is absurd since it is on the Riu complex. So much for all inclusive. The drinks are not cheap. They charged me 10 US dollars for a Jack Daniels and coke. The other issue I have with the nightclub would be that their are alot of creeps out there from whom many of them work as the entertainment staff for the resort.
BUGS/MOSQUITOS Another issue I have would be with the water built up in between hotels. It appears to be water runoff from the pool. The water is stagnant which is attracting alot of bugs and/or mosquitos. In regards to the bugs/mosquitos you will have issues as you are sitting down in either the dining area or the entertainment rooms there is a very good chance you will get bit. As for my mother and sister as well as a few friends have bite marks up and down their lower leg. So I would defintely bring some insect repellent. It is a tropical environment, so that is to be expected. One other note, the workout facility is very obsolete and rusted out - SO MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR HEPATITIS SHOTS IF YOU PLAN ON WORKING OUT.
I will nitpick about one other thing here. Unlike other Riu resorts, you do have to wear long pants in the buffet restaurant. Dress shorts will not suffice, but jeans will. In my opinion, it is understandable for the more elegant envirionements, but not for the buffet restaurant.
LOCATION -
If you plan on doing anything off the resort for instance going to a restaurant ir nightclub, you will need to pay for a taxi - not cheap.
Ok, enough bashing. This resort does have some positives too. The front desk is very helpful when checking in and out. If there are any issues, they will go out of their way to attempt to help you out. The bedrooms are roomy with a nice balcony and are kept immaculate every day as well as the surrounding areas INSIDE the hotel. The dining area is well kept ( besides the mosquitos ) and their staff is very good ( despite most do not speak english - no big deal ) The food is also very good for the most part. The scenery outside the hotel is very beautiful. There are alot of Palm Trees, fountains inside the pool, and the beach view.

FINAL NOTE: If you are set on going to Dominican Republic - most of the people I spoke to that also went to Punta Plata ( opposite side of the Island ) liked Punta Plata much better.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Stayed: March 2009
4  Thank buffalomike32
Reviewed 18 March 2009

My husband and I just returned from the riu palace macao. I will start off by saying that the enitre resort was filled with seniors!!! If you are under the age of 50 I would not recommed this resort. Other than that the resort itself was ok the pool was a bit small, the food was ok, service was excellent, nightly entertainment not so good catered to the older crowd ( which was everyone!). You have to pay for your own drinks at the disco...which I thought was a ripp off...so if you dont want to go to bed at 9:00pm then dont go to this resort!! Oh and the beach was stunning!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AshleyOwens
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Was ABSOLUTLEY amazing. First of all, the food. In addition to the central buffet, there is the Kabuki (japanese), the Caribe Grill (Steak House), and the Krystal. We ate at the buffet every night because it was so good. We were there for 2 weeks and each week they had a Mexican Night and a Gala Night. Omlette lovers will be happy. in the mornings they had a chef assigned to making custom omlettes. Next, entertainment. During the day, the animation staff held many games and contests, so the guests were never bored. I shot a bow and arrow! At 8:00 each night, they held Bingo in the theater. At 9:45 the show started... not so great. Third, the location/cleanliness... perfection. Fourth the beach, wonderful with places in the shade and the sun. All in all, amazing so GO!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank greenkj
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My girlfriend and I (we are in our early 20's) traveled to the Riu Palace Macao January 10- 17 2009. All in all it was a great trip with great times and good people. From the time we arrived at the airport to leave we had a great time. The flight was good and when we landed it was very easy to get our luggage and get on our bus to the resort. The bus ride was a bit long but it was okay because we got to see the towns and the scenery on the way which was good. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with "welcome home" and quickly directed to our rooms. The rooms were very nice and clean. The fridge was stocked with beer and soft drinks (bring a bottle opener because they dont give you one). We had a nice view from our room and everything worked properly. The service there is excellent (better if you tip) and they have many imported brands of alcohol like canadian whiskeys and other foreign liquors. The service at the buffet was always great as we became amigos with one of the servers. I would say to avoid the Kabuki Japanese restaurant though because my girlfriend got food poisioning the second last day because she had the raw fish. I also heard of others that had the same experience. There was always events going on at the beach and you could almost always find a beach chair although the beach was a bit crowded. The nightly entertainment was also great as well. Some of the other tourists there were very rude but I guess there will be some no matter where you go. There is one negative thing that I will say to watch out for young travelers. One of the night bartenders whose name I can't remember actually tried to take my girlfriend to a dark hallway and take advantage of her! I was so angry and I complained to the main desk the next day.. So watch out for that. All in all it was a great trip with wonderful memories that will never be forgotten. Just keep an open mind and remember that this is a poor country and they don't have the luxuries that we have here and all will be great. RELAX!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank greg011
Reviewed 1 March 2009

This was hardly what you'd call awful, but it was not a magical experience at all.
While the service is outstanding and the people bend over backward to please, this hotel is no longer up to claiming it's a "palace". The beach is great (as it is for all the resorts in this area), and the property is very well kept but it is VERY tired. Looking around at the wear and tear and stuff that had been repaired, I guessed it was about 30 years old, and it turns out it's only half that. Must be the salt air. We had a "superior" room, with means "minimal but with a view". AC was (barely) adequate (but quiet, I love that!), but shortcomings of the room were: 24" wide tub / shower that felt as flexible as a kid's wading pool, a "minibar" fridge with all the soda frozen up, and a toilet that ran continuously. Very weird that the sheets don't fit the bed so it comes apart every night. In the public areas, fans are all rusted and wobbling around, the chandeliers aren't much better, and half the elevators were in and out of service. On a positive note, the pool, while small, was kept clean, you could get all the clean towels you wanted, and the food was all pretty good. RIU is a fine chain, but this place needs to be overhauled.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrChas
Reviewed 25 February 2009

My wife and I just returned from the RIU Palace Macao after a week stay from 2-16 to 2-24. We are Americans and are in the 33-35 year age range.

First of all, the staff is amazing. They actually seem to want to serve you and they do not appear to be just hawking tips. The staff seems much more genuine than say staff at some of the Cancun resorts.

Second, yes, some of the hotel "pieces and parts" are worn, dated, and in need of replacement. These items are minor and really have no effect on your vacation.

Third, the food is AWESOME! The El Patio buffet is beyond words. If you get a chance, try Khrystal. Very very good. The steakhouse...not so much. Hey, I am honest.

Forth...apparently most Europeans did not get the memo that smoking is bad for you and for those around you. We had a couple that sat at table 65 at El Patio that smoked before the dinner, after each plate, and then after dinner. I was unaware you could chain smoke and eat at the same time. It is just amazing at how many smokers there were. Wow is all we can say about that.

Fifth, the age of the traveler at this resort is "advanced". Stay out of the way of the older travelers when it comes to buffet time. They will mow you down, cut in front of you, and just generally be rude. I guess when you get to be an older adult you forget how lines work and what general courtesy is.

Aside from the little things, I would without hesitation recommend this hotel to any mature adult. The two reviews prior to this one sum it up well.

The people that whine and complain about every little thing (burned out light bulbs, musty smelling rooms, etc..) and treat the staff rudely should be beaten with canes.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple