“Absolutley Brilliant”

Ranked #43 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
YumsYums
“Absolutley Brilliant”
Reviewed 12 June 2009

Having never been long haul i was truly impressed with the Macao from start to finish.Wolud like to say a big thankyou to all the staff especially Antonito who was like a freind of the family before we left. To all those who have put negative comments all i can say is you must be fussy.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank YumsYums

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Polish first
oxfordshire
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Stayed here for 2 weeks and thought it was a lovely hotel. It is right next to the beach and surrounded by palm trees. The staff are very attentive (even more so if you tip them!!) and I was impressed with the room. It was clean and spacious and had a balcony over looking the pool. We had upgraded to have a sea view, this we didn't get as there were so many palm trees in the way!!
Food is varied and nice. There are 3 a la carte restaurants which are ok. There are nice little extras like the optics in the bedrooms, icecream machine by the pool and smoothies for breakfast.
We didn't wonder out of the hotel/complex as it wasn't recommended. We did go on 2 excursions via Thomson which we were quite disappointed with. We thought they were both overpriced and wouldn't rate them at all. The first was the 'sunset cruise' and the other a boat trip to Soana Island'. It took 4 hours to get to the island (2hrs drive, 2hrs catamaran). I thought the beach by the hotel was far nicer than the one on the island. We did get hassled there too by men selling jewellery. The sunset cruise is a bit of a farse too. Didn't really go anyway and way too $$$.
Overall, can't really fault the hotel if you want a week or 2 relaxing in the sun. Would definately stay in a RIU hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jan047
Virginia
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I got married here and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. This place was wonderful! We had a large group of 80 and the staff went above and beyond to make sure everyone was comfortable. Unfortunately the restuarant where the reception was suppose to happen burned down 4 weeks before the wedding. They had a plan B which worked out perfect. The beaches were white and beautiful. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms had beautiful wooden headboards. The drinks were great. The casino was nice. The disco was pretty good (only went one night). They have spa services where I got a massage and a mani/pedi for the wedding. They only had 3 different places to eat - the Buffet (which had the same food everyday), a sushi restaurant and another one which we never ate at. There could have been more of a variety, but that would be my only complaint - and it's not really a complaint. They had a lot of activities to chose from. We stayed at the Macao but was able to go to the other Riu resorts (expect the Palace) to eat/drink/swim with your wristband (you had to keep that on the entire time). FYI, a lot of people went topless here. The pool was small, but we were so busy that we only had a chance to go in once. Everyday was gorgeous and sunny. The evenings had beautiful moonlight. I loved it here and plan on going back again with the group, this time taking advantage of the beach/pool/activities. We were so busy with everyone and the wedding planning the week we were there. I prefer this one over Dreams where we went for our honeymoon.

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank TheMartinsVirginia
lancaster ,pa
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I was very pleased with my stay here. The room was very nice and clean. I'll agree that the air conditioning was only adequate but I think some rooms were cooler than others. Keep the sliding door closed and the drapes closed to keep room cooler. I am a reasonable person, I like t finer things in life but not over picky when it comes to all-inclusive redorts in the Carribbean. This one was definitely a nice place with pretty good food and plenty of it. The special restaurants were very nice. I have no complaints. The drinks were wonderful and the bartenders top notch and hard working. The disco was hopping. Drink before you go, and you won't ned to spend much money unless you want to. Hit the shops about a mile down the beach for the best deals. You can walk there in 15 minutes. The shop keepers will beg you to come into their shops which is annoying but that's how you get the good prices. Trust me, you can talk them down. Do not settle for the first couple prices. They will take anything reasonable.
The beach was beautiful with plenty of loungers. Tons of Europeans walking around topless. Not my thing but tolerable. If you have children you may want to think twice. These people don't care how old, fat, saggy or hairy they are, they let it all hang out for us to see. Sorry but some things are just better left to the imagination!
I did not see one mosquito and very few flies or bugs at the hotel. I never had a need for bug spray. The maids did a great job and my fridge was stocked.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank luvfrenchies
Ontario
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My Fiancé and I stayed at the Riu Palace Macao April 19-25 2009. Overall the resort was nice, but I did not feel we got good quality for the cost of the trip. We were part of a large wedding group so had a great time regardless.

Weather - beautiful the entire week! Rained a few times over night but never had a problem during the day

Room – the location of our room was great (first floor) with a patio over looking the front of the hotel grounds. We had a mini bar that was replenished daily and the room attendants did turn down service each night. Room was clean but very, very outdated!! The bed linens looked like they were from the 70’s – definitely not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Restaurants/Food – Food was excellent! There were 2 buffet restaurants and 3 a la carte (Japanese, Steak and Seafood). Buffets were excellent, Steak House was ok, Japanese was fantastic and I wouldn’t know about the Seafood (Krystal) because we tried to make reservations all week and couldn’t get into this place. Was very disappointed to hear of people who dined there 3 times and we couldn’t get in once. The reservation system was horrible as you had to book each morning (6-7am or you wouldn’t get a spot) for that nights dinner – you couldn’t book for the week all at once. Which means if you aren’t a morning person you were in trouble. We lucked out as some of the people travelling with us were up early and could book us a table or else we would have had to eat buffet all week. They had 24 hour room service which was pretty basic but hit the spot after some dancing at the Pacha.

Bars – There were a few bars scattered throughout the resort and lots of servers to deliver drinks to your lounger for you. No swim-up bar at this resort but if you went next door to Bambu they had one. The pool scene at Bambu was also livelier if you wanted to do more then lounge by the pool in peace and quiet.

Nightlife – there was always a typical performance put on by the staff which was ok entertainment. The lobby had a 24 hour bar and usually had some sort of singer/piano player there as well. There was no disco on the resort – you had to walk across the street to “Pacha” where the drinks were not included. It reminded me of the movie dirty dancing as this is the place where all the staff went after their shifts. It is also quite the “meat market” and some of the local guys just would not take a hint which was creepy.

Beach – Absolutely beautiful!! Tons of loungers and shade. Ocean was nice; bottom was sandy with small waves. We went for a long walk one day and stopped at the Majestic hotel for a shade break. The bartenders there were awesome….gave us some rum punch travellers for our journey back even though we clearly weren’t one of their guests – Nice!

Shopping – gift shops in hotel were over priced (as usual) but they have 2 “Caribbean streets” with stores which was a bit better. If you walked the beach at the far end there were the beach hut vendors with the typical souvenirs. They also had different vendors come to the hotel nightly and set up their display tables in the lobby. Learn to barter – you’ll get some good deals!

Tours – We ran into some trouble with the tour company Scuba Caribe which is on the beach and will approach you to take their tours. We bartered with them and they gave us an agreeable price but when we showed up for the tour they had put the price up to the original and would not honour the quote given. We walked away. On a walk down the beach we found another local tour company who was willing to give us the same tour at the price we wanted (sorry can’t remember the name of the company). We did the snorkelling, boat ride to the dolphin enclosure (did not go in with the dolphins, just watched from the boat) and to the place where the Caribbean and Atlantic oceans meet. It only cost us $25 which was a good deal and we had a great time!

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at tracybug@hotmail.com

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank tracybug
Toronto
Reviewed 30 May 2009

just returned.
This is an old tired looking hotel. Defantely not in the Riu palace class.
Room was damp all week. A/C did not work properly during the day and then the room was cold at night.
Beach was great. Lots of of trees and chairs.
The only Pool is tiny. With no swim up bar.
The food at the buffet was quite good, with lots of selection - especialy if you are a fish lover, which i am. No need to go to the a la carte restaraunts.
Do not go to the Kabuki Oriental restaraunt - a real let down.
The Kristal is the only a la carte worth going to.
The Steak and Grill a la carte are good but we found that the heat build up in May in these two restaraunts made it very uncomforatble to eat there.
The entrertainment in non existant. Very poor. We started going to the Riu Bambo to have something to do at nights.
The atmoshpere is very quite - i.e. very little excitment, so if you like a quite hotel this is the one.
The drinks are great, they serve premium liquor at the main bar.
This hotel needs a makeover to come anywhere close to a 5 star that is published in the Riu magazine.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank 5starToronto
Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Spent 10 days with my wife and 2 sons ages 19 and 21. Just got back last night... very late (Boston). I guess that is my first point. Don't take a connecting flight if you can avoid it. It can be stressful and takes away from your vacation time. I would only go non-stop next time. Getting in and out of the Punta Cana airport was not as bad as I thought it might be. Getting a ride from the airport when we arrived was a little troublesome. They made us wait in a van until they filled it with about 12 people before they left. Then they made about 5 stops before getting to our hotel. It seemed they took every side road and hit every pot hole along the way. Overall, it took about an hour to get to the hotel. Coming back was great. They picked us up on-time and took us right to the airport on the main (paved) road.

The weather. We switched our trip from Cancun because of the Swine flu scare plus we had not been to the Domincan before. Shame on me for not looking into, but May and June are the rainiest months of the year. The first 3-4 days we were upset because of the cloudiness. We met people there for a week that did not get the sun. Glad we stayed 10 days because we did get some sunny days. And it does get very hot when the sun is out! You will get burned even when the sun is not out.

The hotel staff is really great. They will try to accomodate you in every way. it is true that a dollar or two goes a long way. I gave everyone in my family a stack of ones and fives to hand out as tip money before we left. One guy met us every morning to carry our beach stuff just because we gave him $1 a day ($5 on the last day). The Entertainment staff keeps everyone busy, if they want to be, and laughing. My sons bonded very well with them.

My boys met a lot of people from all over the world. They did spend a lot of time in the Night Club. I was a little nervous of about the presence of alcohol and the ease to abuse, but thankfully they were very responsible in that regard. I was nervous that they would get bored, but that was not the case.

Food. If you can't find something good to eat someplace at the hotel, then something is wrong. We did not have one bad experience. A lot of people rave about Crystal and didn't like the Japanese restaurant, but I found otherwise. In fact, we ate at the Japanese restaurant twice and Crystal only once. One of my sons actually wanted to go back for more of the noodles they served. Everyone gives you plenty to eat. The buffet has more selections than you can imagine. Drinks. You need to just ask the bartender to make the drink the way you like it and they will. No problema. My kids got room service quite a few times also.

Visit the other hotels. The pool at the Riu Punta Cana was great, but you can't eat or drink there. The other pools are nice too with the swim up bars. The beach is just perfect and the water is beautiful.

Massages. Nice to try, but a little overrated.

I will probably think of more to say, but I'm a little too tired at the moment. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
#53 of 111 in Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!