Hotel Riu Palace Macao
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
4,308 results
All reviewscaribbean streetpool barkrystal restaurantpalm treesel patiodominican republicthomson repjacuzzi suitea la carte restaurantssteakevening entertainmentanimation teammain restaurantplenty of sunbedsrelaxing holidayan adults only resortother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My daughter and I took our first trip to Punta Cana last week. The beach is gorgeous...the sand feels like powdered sugar under my feet. We loved the daytime, but the night time, not so much. There really isn't much to do here. The entertainment is similar to a high school talent show, but worse. We went to bed early every night. The food is nothing to rave about. We ate at the buffet 2 evenings and at the 3 restaurants the other nights. We were sick of the buffet for every meal, especially breakfast. I would love some real orange juice and cereal. The food was just okay everywhere. We did enjoy the Krystal restaurant and the Japanese the most. Our hairdryer was broken and took 3 calls to get a new one. Also, no one told us the electric is 110 so we did not have a converter to use our our hairdrying, recharge cell phones, etc. Our toilet broke and it took 2 calls to get that fixed. The furniture in the room is shabby and I wouldn't even sit on the upholstered chairs. The guys serving drinks are fantastic! We loved Raphael and Noel. They kept us supplied with cold pina coladas and agua and are soooo friendly. Overall, we had a good time for our second annual Mother Daughter Getaway, but will not be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I should have know when the welcome drink tasted like watery kool-aid that something was up. My wife and I arrived at the resort with high expectations and were immediately disappointed. If you are a young couple looking for a place to relax and unwind, this is NOT the place for you.
The rooms at Palace Macau look and smell like your grandmother's house. Look at the user photos here on tripadvisor and see the broken refrigerator (ours was broken and took 4 hours and a second call to the front desk to fix).
The bed covers are damp and wet. Not romantic. Doesn't quite get your woman in the mood. Neither do the hideous curtains from 1955. Or the two moquitoes flying around the room that blended in with the paint and were really tough to locate and kill.
We ordered room service one day and put our food outside of the room for someone to take. 12 hours later the food was STILL there. Hotel workers just walked by and ignored it for hours. Not a good idea considering the number of bugs and nifty mosquitoes flying around in DR.
The fan in the room was very loud and seemed in need of repair.
The food at the outside restaurant near the pool is not good. Stay away.
Macau has no bar in the pool. The bar near the pool is dark with little visibility of what liquor is available.
The hotel does not put out enough serving spoons to match the number of food dishes in the buffet. As a result, guests are dipping the same spoon into serveral different dishes. This is very easy to remedy, yet this hotel's management does nothing.
The tableclothes were dirty at dinner.
The headphones in the Internet center do not work. Doesn't sound like a big problem until you are trying to use Skpye to get away from this wretched place and the person you are calling cannot hear you on the other line.
We were so disenchanted that we left abruptly in the middle of our vacation and booked at the Excellence Punta Cana, which was fabulous. No comparison between the two places.
If you must book at a RIU, please book the RIU Punta Cana. We walked there from our hotel and felt like we were robbed. The lobby is gorgeous. The grounds are well kept. The restarants looked much more modern. RIU Punta Cana is $25 per night more expensive but the difference is huge and worth it.
The energy level here is dead. The nighttime shows were blaze. People resorted to playing cards and dominoes to occupy themselves. If that's what we wanted on vacation, we should have just gone to the park near our house.
This is NOT a 4 star hotel. This is NOT a 4 star hotel. This is NOT a 4 star hotel. I can't say it enough. Save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank knowmadd
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This is an honest review of the hotel, as stated in previous reviews the hotel is a little tired in some places. I travelled to Sandals St Lucia in November and would have to say that this hotel is on a par with that one. The staff are falling over themselves to do whatever they can for you. I think if you tip at the beginning of the week your service will be slightly better, and they all deserve the tips anyway.
The food quality is really good for an all inclusive, everyday they had fresh fish including mussels which were cooked right in front of you (cant get much fresher).
Crystal restaurant was very good, recommend the seabass :-)

The whole place was fantastic, the only thing that i would say is that make sure you are not opposite the Bambu hotel, they are currently doing it up and the building work starts at 7am.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rites
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I think this will be a nice place after they tear it down and renovate. Right now it is musty, moldy, and old. My fridge is broken, there is no battery cover on the remote, the banasters are rotting at the bottom and I feel far from paradise. The service is ok and the book is not great but I am disturbed by the cross contamination in the cooking pot and serving spoon since I have a food allergy. The buffet food also sits out for a long time.

I have been to two star hotels which are much better. Save yourself and go with a top 5 hotel if you are coming to DR. Now that I am here I feel trapped and I booked with Priceline so the hotel won't help me out of here and I can reach Priceline. Do yourself a favor and don't come to DR unless you spare no expense.

1  Thank Jjordan220
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I had a great time at this resort to celebrate my friend's wedding. I was amazed at the impeccable cleanliness and size of my room. The food was delicious and home-y (Dominican fare being my favorite). The wedding party couldn't stop praising the freshness and tastiness of the food. There was entertainment everywhere you looked (those provided by the staff and those of the hotel guests, if you know what I mean). The staff was genuinely courteous and friendly, always trying to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome throughout their stay. I met a Belgian couple who has been coming to Palace Macao for the past 10 years. I believe that kind of customer loyalty speaks tremendously about the quality of the location. I must say that Pablo Picasso, Sexy Boy and Tweety (the entertainers/dancers) outdo themselves every day and night with their tremendous energy and hospitality. I wish I could have taken them home with me!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo