This hotel is very grand and luxurious. Fair enough, rooms are a bit outdated, but very clean and spacious. We got an extra bed put in so me and my sister didn't have to share and they came with one straight away which was really good of them, as they don't do 2-bed rooms. We were lucky to get an end room with an amazing huge round balcony. It had rocking chairs but we preferred to sit out on our armchairs which we moved on to the balcony as there was no room when the extra bed was in!
Food was absolutely out of this world. Main restaurant always had for example: 3 types of meat, 3 types of fish, a few casserole type dishes, fried chicken or fish, a carvery with 2 different types of meat (including a whole pig one night which was slightly gross but very grand), a pasta station where the chef would cook you pasta to order within a few mins, pizza, burgers, hot dogs, chips, a few types of pasta and potatoes, hot vegetables. Then there was a huge selection of bread, a massive salad bar, a ridiculously huge selection of starters (canape style) with indulgences such as caviar (black and pink) hundreds of different meats and fish, hard boiled eggs and all kinds of things to try. There was an ice cream cart too with about 8 different flavours, and a huge selection of desserts, fresh fruit and cheeses. Bacially, you can't go wrong. Breakfast was pretty indulgent too, with all the usual hotel breakfast things from full English, to breads and hundreds of different preserves, chocolate spread etc, fruit, cereal and some incredible homemade donuts with plain or cinammon sugar to sprinkle on them. You can also get a very limited selection of food free on room service! The fridge is constantly restocked with fizzy drinks and water, and there are 4 bottles of rum/vodka etc in dispensers in the room. All inclusive so great if you're a big drinker!!
The pool bar is fine, Pasta, pizza, hot dogs, burgers etc, but we only went there once as the main restaurant had so much selection. We didn't try any of the speciality restaurants. The pool area is lovely and the pool is pretty big, but you may as well sit down on the beach as the views are to die for. There are plenty of shady/dappled shade areas under the palms too so perfect if you want to stay out of the sun for a while. The sand is just incredible, all white and powdery. Take a walk along the beach (right if facing the sea) to the local shops/market. The sellers do hassle you a bit but if you say no, they leave you alone. You can haggle a lot with them though. It is a very pleasant walk, 15/20 mins along the beautiful beach with some great photo opps on the way. Watch out for the market sellers dogs though! They lie out on the sand and we nearly stood on one because he was camoflaged! They just lie there though so no worries if you don't really like dogs.
The evening shows are awful. We aren't fussy or prudish but we actually walked out of one it was so bad!! This was the Dominican Show that we thought would be all cultural and fun, but it was basically a load of girls wearing thongs, bras and tiny skirts, gyrating on stage. Not great if you have kids!
All in all an incredible stay, and the Thomson rep Wez (who has now left to go to Bulgaria) was amazing. He looked after us so well. This was the most picturesque hotel I have ever stayed in and no holiday will ever be the same again!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana