“Good first impression of the D.R.”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had a pleasant stay for 8 nights from July 6th-14th.

Beach:
The beach was very nice overall. Soft sand, plentiful chairs and cocktail service was great! The first half of the trip the seaweed was pretty bad as there were some off-shore storms. It was cleaned up constantly, and they did a good job of keeping after it. After those storms had passed, there was only a minimal amount of sea grass, which was also picked up several times per day. The Natura Park resort to the left had only cleaned up their beach once that whole week. Dreams did a splendid job in comparison to the others on this stretch of beach. Past the next resort to the left was the ‘national park’, which is a trail that goes parallel to the beach. There is trash everywhere. Only went there once. Snorkeling was pretty good in front of the resort. Masks required a $25 deposit to borrow them for an hour, but you get it back. In the back left of the swimming area they have a wooden boat sunk under the water, and the fish love that area.

Pools:
We didn’t spend too much time there since the beach was so nice, but they could skim for leaves more often. The swim up bar area was the busiest area. Pools were nice overall. Kids seemed to enjoy it.

Restaurants:
We tried them all at least once. I enjoyed the Japanese the most. All restaurants had good presentation and good food. The buffet has a nice selection (some food seemed bland, but I’m used to American food that has too much added sodium and sugar). The mangoes were my favorite thing at the world café. Yum! Room service was fine. It was fairly prompt depending on the day and time. The menu was similar to stuff you’d find at the buffet, but nice to not have to leave from time to time. The café was a nice place to stop at when it got hot outside. You can get a nice iced mocha and a goodie to eat.

Room:
We had a standard room on the 3rd floor. No complaints. The bathroom door consisted of a frosted glass door with no real latch. Shouldn’t be a problem for most people. The shower had a half glass wall nearest the shower head, and the other half was open. No problem though. Just be cautious of the direction the shower head is pointed and water won’t get everywhere. The A/C worked well in the room. Just don’t leave the balcony door open and it will stay pretty cool. We never had a problem with any musty odors as some have mentioned. The door to the room didn’t dull the sound very well. You could hear everyone coming and going. Play hard and have some cocktails and you won’t have a problem sleeping. :P The room was cleaned every day and the small fridge was re-stocked daily as well. There were always a few waters, beers, and sodas. Sometimes even a juice box. The bed was comfortable.

Bars:
The lobby bar was our favorite. Christian made the best drinks. The pool/beach bars were good, but they just couldn’t make everything there as they don’t have all the chilled ingredients handy. We only went to Desires once (inside of the casino), and both our drinks were gross, so we went someplace else. I enjoyed the Presidente more than the Bohemia (which seemed like a watered down Presidente). ‘The 1’ beer was ok, it was similar to a Corona.

Entertainment:
There was always something to do. There are couple movies on the beach each night, some sort of show at the theatre, and a ton of planned events throughout the day. There is a program left in your room each day if you would like to see what is available. They also have them at the world café and at the reception. We did the rum tasting by the beach bar. The entertainment crew is pretty funny to watch during all the pool, beach, and all other activities. If you find yourself bored while you are here, there is something wrong with you. We used the internet a couple times. We paid $4 for 15 minutes. The internet is a one-time use, so don’t get a larger package and expect to split it between a couple visits to the internet café. We went parasailing and had a fun time. There’s a ton of excursions available close by and lots to choose from.

Shopping:
We started walking towards the supermercado which is a 5-minute walk from the hotel, and got hassled by so many vendors we turned around. They are EXTREMELY pushy! Way worse than I’ve experienced any place in the Caribbean or Mexico. They were crazy with prices to begin with, and wanted to sell you stuff you don’t even want. We bought a couple shirts after haggling a bit, but that was it. We went back to the hotel. We did take a trip to Mundo Autentico, and prices were ok. It was neat to see the cigar making process, and got to smoke one while we watched, and shopped. No-pressure shopping was nice. There’s a lot of cigars and rum to choose from there. Prices were a little better than the Dreams stores. The dreams stores weren’t too bad as for price, but the airport was crazy expensive, so shop before you go to the airport. We don’t shop much, but we always bring rum and cigars back from the Caribbean.

Sick:
I did get sick while there (adjusting to food). This can happen in any country, and isn’t due to lack of cleanliness or anything, just that your body isn’t used to it. Just some stomach pains and diarrhea. I had this happen once in Mexico, and my wife had the same problem in Aruba. Taking a pro-biotic before your trip or taking Pepto before meals might prevent it. I never let it get me down or prevent me from doing anything. If you go to the doctor in any foreign country they usually just give you an anti-biotic and tell you to drink water. It might help you get better quicker, but if you don’t, your body will be good as new in a week. I only drank bottled water and that which they pour at the restaurants (along with the ice). I brushed my teeth with bottled water, and never got shower water in my mouth. My wife ate and drank with me every meal and she didn’t get sick.

Spa:
We had a massage while there and it was more like a good back rub. I think the prices were pretty high. Nice staff though, and nice location.

Misc:
We took mosquito repellant (didn’t even use it), but only saw mosquito’s at the resort 1 time. It was the night after a big thunderstorm, and while waiting to be seated for dinner. The grounds are well-kept and beautiful. The only rude people I encountered were some of the customers. There are always people that cannot be pleased, and I think actually enjoy being pissed. People need to realize they are on vacation and no one is pressed for time. Some places call it Caribbean-time. Chill! We relaxed, ate, drank, walked around, and participated in things as we pleased. No pressure to do anything you don’t want to. It was a nice vacation, and my 2nd Dreams experience (other was in Mexico). Music wasn’t playing at all hours and was never loud or aimed toward a specific type of music lover. I’ve been to resorts with blaring music, and this was not one of them. I paid for airport transfer as part of our booking through orbitz, and it was pretty straight forward. It was a short 15-20 minute drive. I was only bugged about a visit to other resorts when we first arrived by the people at the VIP desk, and after shutting them down, they never bugged me again.

Overall it was a great vacation, and we had no trouble. I would have no problem recommending this resort to my friends/family.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beastnatch
Write a ReviewReviews (10,955)

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I travelled here with my wife and children 11 and 7.

All was great, we had been to Ocean sands the year before and Dreams was nicer.
Children loved it.

The only reason i may not choose to stay here again would be the bathroom. I know this may sound picky but there is only a partial (like a shower) door between the rest of your family and the toilet.

As far as most of the complaints i read this may be down to expectations.
Dreams is in the mid price bracket and therefor i would not be expecting 5* as many do.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank iforgothowgoodiwas
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Really nice resort, with really nice people. Good food with lots of variety. Good environment for kids (and you can feel OK about letting them be off by themselves - ours are 11 and 15). Rooms very large and comfortable - with awesome mattresses!
The minor exception is the internet access. This was HORRIBLE and inexcusable. We paid $60 for wifi for the week. (I think wifi ought to be free; but this is not outrageous). However, what WAS outrageous was the fact that this covered on ONE device at a time (we had 4 people - each with AT LEAST one device). If one logged on while another of us was online, it kicked off the first one. Then, the wifi did not work AT ALL MUCH OF THE TIME. And when it did work, it was painfully slow. I realize we were on vacation, but this was ridiculous!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed great...I'm not sure of the need to upgrade to ocean view
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I spent 5 days at DPB with my husband and 2 sons aged 10 and 13 from July 11 - 16. We booked through Dream Makers Vacations and they did a fantastic job. We had never been to the Dominican Republic before and had no idea what to expect when we got to Punta Cana Airport. We were pleasantly surprised with how efficiently everything ran from the moment we landed until we got to the hotel. Transportation was by a clean, air-conditioned minivan with VIP Travel Services. We arrived at the hotel at around 1pm and our room in the Preferred Club was ready. We requested a 3rd floor room because of previous reviews about dampness. We were in room 4303 and had a beautiful view of the pool and the beach. There was no real smell of dampness that we could notice. The air-conditioning worked fine. The only fault I would find is with the bathroom, not because of the shower set-up with the floor getting all wet, but because it was so small and there was really nowhere to put anything.

Our kids are seriously picky eaters so we usually ate at the Buffet. I can't see what people were complaining about. There were tons of choices and with the exception of the beef dishes, which were tough and chewy, the food was very good. The salads were plentiful and varied. The fresh fruit was amazing, especially the mango - I could have eaten that all day! There were lots of cold cuts and cheeses but because of the heat and humidity I didn't try those since they were out so long. They had plenty of variety of meat dishes and fresh vegetables. Even the pizza wasn't bad:) Breakfast was great with an omelet station, tons of meats and cereals. My only gripe was that they keep the cereal in large stainless steel containers which have no covers. As a result, with the humidity they were always stale.

The beach was gorgeous and the sea grass did not take away from it in any way. The pool areas are lovely, too. Yes, lots of people get up at the crack of dawn to claim their chairs. We did it too some mornings:) One thing that puzzled us was the fact that there wasn't a single umbrella around the kiddie pool which meant there was zero shade for families with babies. As a result that pool was always practically empty and with lots of empty chairs.

There was always a lively atmosphere with the entertainment crew doing their thing to keep everyone energized. It almost seems redundant to praise them yet again since most of the reviews talk about how great they are. But they truly deserve all the good words.I don't want to name anyone because I can't remember all their names and they all did their part. The all-star show they put on Wednesday night was awesome. They have some amazing talent.

Overall, we had a great time. The Core Zone was a bit of a disappointment for my 13 year old and after checking it out once he decided he wouldn't bother with it.

I would definitely recommend this resort. It was clean, pretty and had excellent staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor.
1  Thank nhpm900
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We just returned from an 8 night family vacation to Dreams Palm Beach resort in Punta Cana. This is a wonderfully beautiful resort. I would recommend it and I would go back there again. Here is my review. I am a fairly critical person when it comes to luxury and service in a vacation resort.

Grounds and Pools: A+++ FANTASTIC!!! This was my favorite part of the resort. Walking around the resort made me feel like I was in a Caribbean Paradise. Palm trees, tropical plants, and water everywhere. The grounds maintenance crew is wonderful. There are 2 pools in the main resort area. The pool with the swim up bar is lovely. There are "sun decks" in the pool that are less than 1 foot deep where you can place chairs or sit and get some sun while still in the water. Get there early for a spot there though. The pool was a good temperature and was clean. The 2nd pool in the main area is less "tropical" and has an iceberg (blowup slide) for kids 6 to 12. It was fun for the kids. They also have a volleyball net too. The pool was clean but I believe it was heated. Pretty warm and not as refreshing as the other pool. There is also a kiddie pool attached to this pool. The pools were not overly crowded but had a nice amount of people. The 3rd pool is the preferred club pool. It is a nice size and has the "sun deck" there as well. And a hot tub. Lovely!! The beach area had lots of little tiki huts (palm covered umbrellas) and lots of lounge chairs. Not a problem finding a comfortable spot. The preferred area also had cabana beds which were amazing!. The sand was beautiful and white. Yes there was some seaweed (some days worse than others), but those grounds crew guys were out there multiple times a day raking it up and hauling it away. Palm trees everywhere and it was amazingly beautiful!! All walkways through the resort were a nicely paved concrete that was very tropical. The resort was easy to get around. If you were to walk all the way around the perimeter of the resort it would only take maybe 20 minutes. Just the right size for me.

Food: B Good enough for me. The food was not spectacular at all times, but it was good. The buffet had a large selection of food and it was replenished well. The Japanese restaurant (hibachi) was fantastic. The food is great and the staff there were great. A big shout out to Victor (a great waiter)! We didn't try the italian, mexican, or french places. The sea side grill (steakhouse) was good too. Not the most fantastic food I've ever had, but it was fine. It served our purposes just fine.

Bars: A If you need a drink, you can find one! The service at the bars was great. There are wait staff around each pool and beach area who will bring you what you want.

Rooms: B-/C+ Average...Could be better. We had no problems with our room. It was clean and nothing was malfunctioning. I'm not giving it a fantastic rating because I think it could have been better with nicer beds (not rolling bed frames that slide everywhere), better maintenance on the bathrooms (caulking, rust, etc.), and a better design for the shower. It looks nice to have a half glass door on the shower, but water does get everywhere. Ask for extra towels so you can place at least 2 on the floor to soak up all the water. I saw one room where you could see light coming out of the room through a broken piece of the top of the door. That seemed odd to me. AC worked well (still a bit humid, but there's not much anyone can do about that). No bad smells. Our room was satisfactory and we had no major complaints. I Was just hoping for something a little more luxurious.

Housekeeping/Mini Bar Refill: B / C Housekeeping did a great job. One day I asked that they clean before 1pm and they did that for me. They kept the bathroom and floors clean for us. The beds were nicely made. I looked for bed bugs and found no trace in my search :). The mini bar crew did not do a refill of our fridge on 2 of our 8 days. Not too bad, but one time they came in after 9 pm to fill it. Could have been better. I was hoping it would have been combined with maid service time. Also, we always needed extra towels. Sometimes getting those was a bit of a process (more than 4 calls one day). It would be nice that if you get extra towels and the maid comes in to clean....it would be great for the maid to replenish the number of towels that she took away. I called for extra towels every day.

Service: This is where I feel the resort could really improve. Some staff were fantastic -- mostly wait staff. The good: Julio at the front desk in the lobby was so wonderful to us on our way out of the resort. It was 4:30 am and we could not find food in the world cafe (the daily paper says it would be open from 11pm to 6am - but it was not :( ). But when I told Julio we needed food he got right on the phone and had room service deliver food to go for us right away! We had time to eat on the ride to the airport. Julio was kind and friendly and seemed eager to help. This was not true of most of the front lobby / concierge / preferred club desk staff members. Long story shortened... all 3 of our suitcases were left in Miami. We arrived at 9:30 on a Friday night. We did not get our luggage until 8pm on Saturday night. I asked multiple people to help me. I was a bit frantic being in a country that is foreign to me and not knowing much Spanish. Local calls are NOT free, so I was at the mercy of the staff to place phone calls for me. I felt like none of them cared at all that I needed help. The person that helped me the most (or at least made me feel like he cared) was Cesar, the Apple vacations rep. Aside from the luggage issue, my dealings with the concierge staff in (both preferred and main) were less than satisfactory. There is a girl called "pretty smile" on the entertainment staff. I think the concierge staff should take smiling lessons from her. They could also use a lesson in customer service and eagerness to help. There was only one girl in the preferred club who smiled a lot and was very nice. Her name is Kenia. Kenia was great! I wish the rest of the desk staff could be like her. There was also a man who I think was the bell service person for the preferred club who was very nice and friendly too. I don't remember his name. The girls working the bar in the pref. club were nice too. My other favorite staff member was Joel. He is a waiter at the pref. club pool area. He was very sweet and helpful!. I believe that for the Dom. Rep. the level of service at the Dreams P.B. was pretty good. But, they could really set themselves apart if they improved the level of customer service just a bit more. Oh, and most of the staff are great at speaking English. This was a great benefit to me because I don't speak much Spanish.

Other Stuff:
Water Sports -- be aware that if you want to use the snorkeling masks, you need to leave a $25 CASH deposit for each mask ($100 for a family of 4) to use the masks for your one hour of time each day. We did not bring much cash, so we did not have they cash to leave there. We were unhappy that the resort advertises FREE snorkeling, but if you don't have cash for deposit, you can't use it.

Noise: you may not want to expect a quiet night sleep. There is lots of LOUD music going on at the resort. It was great for the people who wanted to party. My family was worn out at the end of each day. So, we could fall asleep during the party music and noises. The doors are not at all sound proof. It worked out OK for us though.

Professional Pictures: They have a staff of professional photographers at the resort. They are GREAT and the prices are reasonable.

Location: super close to the airport!! Only a 10 minute drive.

NO ATM in the resort. They said there is one close by but some locals told me that it is broken most of the time.

When we go back to Punta Cana I will likely return to the Dreams Palm Beach resort. Thanks for a lovely place to vacation!!

Room Tip: Preferred club is a good value. Preferred buildings are close to beach. But even if u get the farthe...
1  Thank angiedeebee
Reviewed 18 July 2011

You may recall that we posted a review for this some months ago however werent given the right to reply to the hotel comments so are starting again and this time will keep it brief.

The bottom line is Dreams PB are very good at publicly apologising for mistakes but on site its completely different. We had several issues with our room - the first was that we had booked a jacuzzi room and we didnt get one - this was actually a fault with our tour operator and not Dreams which has been sorted since we returned home, however the attitude of Jesus on the front desk when trying to sort this was appauling - terrible customer service. This was then coupled with the fact that the rooms were dirty and run down - not at all ultimate luxury as its pitched. Jesus even commented that 'Dreams Resorts' are th lowest in the brand!

This aside the resort is very nice, good pools, good food and a wide range of drink. The staff at the restaurants and bars all friendly and hard working. Favourite was the chinese.

In short it is the standard of the bedrooms and poor cleaning let this place down and the attitude of the front desk staff - if you can get over this then the rest of the resort is nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OxfordshireOwl
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I would give 2 kinds of rating for this resort.

5 out of 5 for its kids, a la carte resaurants and night shows.
Their kids club runs from 9 am to 10 pm with lots of programs going on and they really take good care of your kids including lunch, dinner, swimming and camping on beach. But remember to pread them with bugs repellent, lots of mosquito right outside of kids club, but not other part of resort.
All a la carte serve great food without reservation. Only Japanese one, you need to come when they open to make sure you get the spot that night, only 3 sitting per night. So just tell them what time you like and come back at that time.
Night shows are in a big cooling room wtih air conditioning. Really impressive shows.

3 out of 5 for its swimming pool, room and main buffet. The bottom is rough. If you don't wear water shoes, your toes will get hurt after 2 days. You will know it when it hits you with feeling of sting while walking. Towels are out near 5 pm everyday, so they try to tell people to get only 1 towel everyday. Good thing is that you don't need towel card to get 1. The room is definitely run down. The shower room is a joke. Water keeps splashing out on floor and the whole bath room is really old and small.
Main buffet is outdoor. Sometimes, the weather is too hot to swallow food down. Fruits are really great though.

They have a small cafe for you to get hot or cold coffee drink. There is also a small shopping plaza outside of the resort, requiring 10 mins walking.

Basically small run down resort tries to impress you with great service.

2  Thank Jess1114Toronto