Booked this hotel with First Choice as it was very cheap (online discount of £890). After reading some reviews i was very dubious about what it would be like. The hotel itself is lovely(but not 5*)
Thompsons flight was delayed going. We were told the flight had a 3 hour delay as we parked the car at Airparks, so I asked when I checked in. We were assured it was on time so we went through to departures. Suprise, suprise, it then came up as a 2 hour delay. I also asked for window seats, and was told there was none. Suprise again, free window seats when we got on. Even worse coming home as they tried to seat us 7 rows apart-even though we were no where near the end of the check in line they said there were no seats together. Its all a big scam to try and get you to pre book seats( I would not bother as the couple I sat next to paid £50 and never even got the seats they booked). Its about time Thompson actually provided the service they charge huge amounts for.
When we arrived we waited in the First Choice line to be taken to our transfer bus. A man with clipboard took us off to a bus and then told us we had to pay 10 dollars transfer. I told him the transfer was included. After almost an hour, they eventually took us to the resort. It appears that we had been put on the wrong bus, so make sure when you arrive that you actualy see the correct rep, as we had a nightmare trying to sort it out
I e mailed the hotel to ask for a high floor room with a king bed and a nice view. We had a room in block 7 which overlooked the central area and it was nice. It was not damp and the aircon worked well. The bathroom could be better as the shower floods and it is not very private, but we were pleased with it.
Food was nice (although have had better in Mexico) and not having to make reservations was a bonus. There are dress codes for the restaurants but i saw plenty of people going in incorrectly dressed. If there is a dress code i feel it should be adhered to as we follow it, so why shouldnt otheres. Its nice to get dressed up on holiday, and i do not want to look at people in shorts in nice restaurants. The staff are also really nice and friendly and you do not have to tip. However the service was so good that we did leave tips in restaurants and for the waiters by the pool. Would recommend taking loads of dollar notes as they are very grateful for whatever tip you leave.
Pool area is lovely and so is the beach. There is seaweed, but it is easy to walk through it, and it is only a minor problem.
Theres a disco called Desires (could actually be renamed Sleaze) which plays constant hip hop music. Full of drunken Americans making fools of themselves. It would have been better if there was a mix of music
Now for the negative. The hotel website shows a really romantic resort, with nice looking people gazing into each others eyes. Wrong. The hotel is full of very large, loud, rowdy drunken Americans whose favourite pastime is to talk about themseves in loud, obnoxious voices. They spent all of the day wallowing in the pool drinking huge amounts from large insulated cups, whilst smoking. How horrible and inconsiderate is it to smoke in a swimming pool? This should be stopped. They also never left the pool to visit the toilet so you can make up your own mind as to what they were doing!!!!
I love to have a drink and enjoy myself but am astounded by some of the Americans greed and behaviour( I say some as we did meet some very nice Americans as well) It really is a shame as the hotel itself is lovely, but would not visit again because of the other guests. There were also big groups of loud American middle aged women making fools of themselves.
We did however have a good time and the weather was lovely. We like to people watch, so we had plenty to look at. If you are looking for a romantic resort, you would need to have the vast majority of guests removed to acheive this!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the Caribbean Sea, white sand beach and lush gardens, Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana boasts 500 spacious rooms and ample suites surrounded by swaying palm trees and views of endless blue waters stretching to the horizon - the perfect setting in paradise. Take advantage of all the unlimited luxury activities Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana has to offer. Swim, sail, snorkel or windsurf in the turquoise Caribbean, enjoy fine a-la-carte dining, sip favorite cocktails at one of our bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Occidental Allegro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental
- Sunscape Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach
- Punta Cana Allegro