“Fabulous Resort with Exceptional Staff”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fabulous Resort with Exceptional Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My boyfriend and I recently traveled to the DR for a friend's wedding. We didn't exactly know what to expect, as this was our first tropical vacation and first all-inclusive experience. Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendliest staff and handed mimosas (very nice!). We stayed for 6 days and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. The resort is clean and has a lot to offer as far as food options & activities. The rooms were a bit neglected (mold spots on the walls & cielings, musty smell, and loud A/C) but we did not spend much time in the room outside of sleeping & getting cleaned up. To summarize (1 being inadequate and 5 being superior):

Overall resort: 4/5 (despite the musty smell, the housekeeping cleans the rooms daily, including changing sheets! They stock the fridge with water everyday as well. Pools are clean. Beach is clean. There are plenty of chairs on the beach & around the pool. Landscaping is beautiful. Staff keeps it tidy & clean.

Restaurants: 4/5 There are a lot of restaurant options: French, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Seafood, American grill, and World Cafe buffet. If you want more options for lunchtime, I recommend getting the premiere upgrade, otherwise you are stuck with the buffet and American Grill everyday for lunch, which can get old. With the premiere upgrade you have the option of eating at the seaside grill. The French restaurant was delicious, Japanese Hibachi grill was also really good (get the fried ice cream!), Mexican was so-so (endless margaritas!), Italian was alright (fet alfredo VERY salty...in fact many of the dishes at the restaurants are very salty, so drink a lot of water!) And the World Cafe has a lot of options for breakfast, lunch & dinner, but it's buffet food so don't expect gourmet. There is also a coffee shop with several pastry options-- I had about 5 chocolate croissants a day :) I'm not a seafood person, so I can't elaborate on the Seaside Grill. I had the potato skin which was good. If you go to the swim up bar, try the pina coladas, oh my.

Activities: 4/5 It seems they keep people busy throughout the day with daily activities & getting beach-goers to participate in the beach activities. If you don't mind water, I highly recommend the kayaking. You can venture out pretty far and the view is amazing. Wind surfing looked fun, but they had only one surfboard and 10 people waiting to try it out. Beach aerobics is a great workout. I was sore for 3 days from dancing and hopping around in the water & sand. The instructors are a lot of fun. Beach volleyball is always a good time and a great way to meet others from the resort. There are plenty of shows in the evening-- a circus show, Latin dancing, a magic show, acrobatics, and much more. These entertainers give their all! There was a beach party with fire dancers on Sunday night which turned into a club atmosphere. Talk about a good time!

Staff: 5/5 I understand there is possibly an incentive for the staff who make a good impression (the resort's survey asks for your favorite employee), but I was amazed by the energy, optimism, and hard work the staff delivered every single day. From bartenders & servers, to maintenance & housekeeping-- every person makes you feel comfortable, will acknowledge you and go above and beyond. Sure there are the few exceptions who weren't so enthused about their jobs, but a majority of the resort staff really made a positive impression on our group (57 people!) We did have our favorites: L.A. greeted groups on the beach with a huge smile and had nothing but positive things to say. He also knows a handful of languages. Gasolina & Beauty were the life of the party and kept our group's energy upbeat the entire week we were there. Teo was so accommodating & gracious. And Juan can make a mean drink :) We will never forget this trip thanks to the staff at Dreams Palm Beach. One observation-- these fine men & women work many hours and I realize it is all-inclusive, but PLEASE REMEMBER TO TIP. Bring cash with you because they do not have an ATM on the resort--only currency exchange.

Additionally, if you plan on having a wedding in the Dominican, I highly recommend having it at the Jellyfish restaurant a few miles away. The view is unbelievable and you have much more privacy than you would at the resort. The resort of perfect for everything else...

I also highly recommend venturing out into the city. The concierge will help you find areas to visit. Get a cab driver and experience the local food, people, and culture.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank FrenchCarnie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,712)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I am just leaving the dreams resort after being here for 11 days with my girlfriend. On arrival i was greeted by the reception who were so helpful and friendly. I had come from London and my girlfriend who is American flew in from California 5 hours later than me.
I thought this might be a problem getting into my room and checking in as my girlfriend was the one who had booked the holiday. The staff were so helpful and really made me feel welcome on arrival. They said no problem checking in early and gave me my key and all the info i needed in about the resort. This is my first time on an all inclusive and i could not have asked for more. The rooms are very clean and beautiful and the maids come twice a day to clean your room and re stock your mini bar.
As i settled in i decided to go and see what the resort had to offer. I was pleasently suprised to get such friendly service from all the staff as soon as you step out of your room. I must say the entertainment staff are amazing and really do go that extra mile to make your holiday the best you can possibly have.
Beauty is one of the entertainers in the resort who is so friendly and so much fun. He is always there and always makes you smile and would do anything for you if needed. I think the staff in general really make you feel welcome and are always on hand to do anything you need.
The night entertainment is great with lots to offer for all ages. I would 100% recommend this resort to anybody thinking of coming to the Dominican republic. I could not fault this hotel of the staff. I will definatly be coming back here next year. What a great place to come.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank simon f
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

If you are thinking of doing a destination wedding, I would highly suggest this resort. The wedding coordinator and the staff did a great job at executing our vision. They paid great attention to all the details. Not to mention the food was excellent. Although it was buffet style, there were plenty to choose from. The staff went the extra mile by providing exceptional service during dinner and ensuring that everyone had a great time.

All our guests had an amazing time as well before and after the wedding. The food, both at the buffet area and a la carte's were amazing. The pools and beach area were always well maintained and the staff were always friendly. There's always some sort of entertainment going on at night so you never have to leave the resort. Would definitely recommend this place!

6 Thank Diana H
Chief_c0ncierge, Public Relations Manager at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear Diana,

Thanks for posting your comments here and for having chosen us to celebrate such an important event. We are so glad to read that it was as expected as we understand this is a moment to remember and it happens just once.

We look forward to celebrating you first year anniversary with us.

Regards,

José Abreu
Chief Concierge
Dreams Palm Beach
milton keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just had a 10 night stay at Dreams Palm Beach, we enjoyed our stay ,The pools and beach beautiful and clean and there is never a issue finding a bed , the grounds of the resort are well manicured. Rooms are also clean and well maintained.all of the staff are very friendly and will do everything to make your stay a good one. The restaurants The food was just OK, the beach shack was OK , breakfast ,lunch and dinner at the World Cafe was good and plently of choice . Sea Grill, while the atmosphere was great on the beach, the food was just OK. Portafino was good, El Patio was OK, the Asian place was OK. The best of all was the Bordeaux which was best by far , the caribbean night on the beach was the worst ...The bar drinks are not brand as advertised the bottles are on the shelfs but what thay use is local and that is at every bar, the nightly shows are Ok the only shame is there held in the convention centre and it does not fell like a show bar . we did have a good time on our hoilday and for the money it worth well worth it but would not recommend a stay for two weeks and would try somewhere else next time .

2 Thank pennypopMiltonKeynes
Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just arrived back in the uk after a glorious 2 weeks at this resort and I have to say the whole resort from gardners, waiters, entertainment team, bar staff, cleaners, reception staff, bell boys, concierge, pool staff, maintance staff etc all provide fantastic customer service. We were quickly through reception booked in quickly and efficiently given a welcome drink on arrival, cases in room very quickly. Bell boy explained safe, mini bar etc. went down for first meal and met by lily and team how are you, hand sanitiser, escorted to table, waiter was Felix, again happy face could not do enough to make us welcome, every time went to restaurant greeting staff and every waiter excelled, can't put all their names down, manager walking round talking to customers. At the wedding gazebo bar excellent service from elithabeth, very attentive. 8.00 entertainment team come and meet all customers make you welcome, beauty, jonathan, luzia outstanding but in all fairness they were all good gasolina etc, quickly got customers up dancing. Pools were very good. Staff there again Laughing happy, caring credit to the resort. Went to a few shows and again really good, waiting staff and bar staff very good in the entertainment centre. Went casino 3 nights nd again great service in bar and casino. Went to the sea side grill great staff and a rib eye steak to die for and again great customer service. Went to the portofina restaurant and again beef fillet and great customer service. We got a taxi one day to punta real to do some shopping and went to a restaurant called tony Romero,s torn between that and hard rock cafe and chose romero,s what a fantastic meal and great customer service, would highly recommend a visit if you want a nice change. Concierge booked the taxi for us, taxi left us two hours and thn collected us nd took us back to the resort. The only improvement I could suggest is a couple of tables with parasols by the sugar reff bar as some times you whatnot get up from lying on loungers and sit and read a book, there are tables by the beach grill but really they are for eating food. Golden sands make this a very special holiday and yes there is seaweed but it is cleared daily and the resort are not responsible for something natural from the sea. All in all an excellent holiday, super team,. Not to forget maximo on the maintenance team tap was dripping, quick call to reception, 10 mins at room smiling face and fixed. The showers can one over into the room as other reviews up you just turn the shower head slightly inwards and problem solved. Shower Joel, shampoo and body lotion provided again those little touches really matter. 24 hour room service part of the all inclusive which we never used, but seen it was used a lot. Last mention world cafe, excellent selection, beef steaks, chicken, pork, fajitas to die for great selection every meal time, you could have freshly squeezed juices mango was scrumptious. Can't say enough about this resort and would return in the future, can't comment on spa as never used but people said it was good and never upgraded to preferred club as we were offered on arrival but they said fifty us per night which I thought was a bit dear considering what we had already paid.

2 Thank pammyk
Wrightsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My daughter and I just got back from a weekend getaway at this resort and we had a wonderful time. This resort is an excellent choice if you are planning to go somewhere for just a couple of days. It is a smaller resort (about 500 rooms) so you get to know the staff and resort grounds very quickly. It is only 20 minutes from the airport so you can start to enjoy the fun immediately. The staff was excellent at helping you in any way. Our room was very clean but did have a few areas that could have been remodeled. It is an older resort and it shows a little, but still very nice. The maid service was excellent, cleaned the room twice a day and always restocked the fridge. Most of the food was excellent and a lot to choose from. We did have problems with the AC and found that uncomfotable at times but it was tolerable. The best part we found fun was getting involved with the entertainment staff. Johnathon was our first experience with the staff and he was awesome! He always went out of his way to get us involved in the activities and to show us a good time. All of the entertainment staff were great people, they were always happy and fun to be around. They really helped make our stay a memorable one! The spa was one of the best massages I ever had, would highly recommend to check that out. The weather is always perfect too! Can't wait to go back again!!
Bev and Christy

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly F
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just returned home from this resort. Recommended, but first the negative stuff. The standard
of accomodation was not as high as expected. The room (6107) felt damp and smelled damp. The
maid did a pretty good job of cleaning everyday but, some areas hadn't been touched for months
(ie: the tie-backs for the mosquito nets above the beds were thick with dust). The bathroom area
was very sad and tired looking, in need of re-fit. A hole in the shower wall. The plumbing archaic.
The toilet flush would not take away the waste first time. You needed to wait for the cistern to
refill then flush again, sometimes 3 or 4 times. The wash basin took about 5 minutes to empty.
Oddly, the shower drained well.
Management must be aware of these short-comings. I'm sure they have regular inspections and
staff visit the rooms everyday.

One the plus side: mattresses very comfortable, bed linen and towels (plentiful) clean and fresh.
Mini-bar replenished everyday, The staff very friendly and helpful. Every effort made to keep
you entertained with shows and activities etc. Pools very clean. Gorgeous beach, warm sea,
plenty of beach-beds both on the beach and pool-side. Beautiful buildings and well tended
gardens. Food fantastic everywhere, you could grow fat here real quick.

Wonderful place, had a great time. Some effort to overcome the deficiencies in the
accomodation and this hotel would be close to perfect. Come here and have a memorable holiday.

John F