My wife and I just returned from an 11 night stay at the Dreams Palms Beach, Punta Cana.
Hotel : Its quite a compact resort, with the main heart around the pool and main reception centre. It looks nice, tidy and well maintained and checkin process was fast and efficient. Reception staff were friendly and polite and made a good first impression.
Beach : Lovely fine grained white sand, palm trees and gentle lapping waves. Fantastic constant breeze from the sea to keep you cool. Lots of sun beds always available, never had an issue.
Staff : Staff were really friendly and there definitely seemed a high staff to customer ratio.
Room : We had a room on 2nd floor in block 7. It was a nice size, really good sized bed (which my wife liked a lot) and the balcony faced out to the pool side - but we still had good privacy because of the palm trees. The room had a safe (f.o.c.), an iron and board and relatively good storage options.
The room was a bit worn (or well used!), the noisy aircon seemed stuck at 26C and the fridge wasnt great. I considered asking for a different room, but we decided that the overall benefits outweighed the risk of a different room. Note that there is only a glass door separating the bathroom from the sink area (but isnt visible to the rest of the room.
Room service is fantastic - we tried this a couple of times and they really do deliver within 30mins. Breakfast on the patio was an enjoyable experience.
Pool areas : Good sized pools which were well maintained. Although there are lots of sun-beds available, the amount that had towels on them, but werent used for hours meant that it was a bit frustrating. This was a real issue around the pool with the swim-up bar. We never found free beds around the pool after 9am, yet there werent many people about. A real shame people are so selfish.
Restaurants : Really good to have unlimited visits to where ever we wanted. Downside that at peak times you have to wait for a table to become free. They have a pager system to allow queuing, which worked most of the time. We did have issues the last night, but that seemed down to human error by the Maitre d'.
- Japanese had really great service - the best in the resort. Food was good and it had show tables which provided atmosphere and entertainment.
- French was nice, good food and service was ok
- Italian was nice too, good food but service was a bit hit and miss. We nearly walked out waiting for our order to be taken.
- Seaside grill was really nice. Lively atmosphere, good service and great food - maybe our favourite place - but its really popular so you have to be prepared to take a pager.
- World Buffet. Great choice of food, nicely spreadout. But service was a bit hit and miss and be ready to queue for any omeletts/eggs. Wish they had had both stations operational all the time.
- Mexican. Not good. Food was bland and service wasnt great. Explains why it never seemed to be busy....unless they overhaul the menu, dont bother.
Daytime entertainment : Staff were always putting on some activity, but we didnt participate so cant advise how good it was.
Night time entertainment : In my opinion, possibly the weakest part of the hotel. For some reason its based in the air conditioned Conference centre, where we all have to sit on metal chairs all lined up like we were back at school or in an actual conference. I would have preferred a proper permanent outside space, with tables and only use the conference centre when it rains.
They did hold night time beach party and did celebrate 4th July with fireworks on the beach- both events worked really well and were fun. There is also a night time movie on the beach area - but didnt use it.
Sports bar / Casino : I wasnt particularly impressed or enticed to spend any time in them. Never seemed particularly busy (except during World cup games).
Main bar / reception area : Limited seating around the bar. Bar service was ok, although they seemed understaffed / overworked a lot of the time so waiting at the bar was a regular issue.
Waitress service was available, but it could take some time before they returned with your drinks. We once left after waiting 15mins for drinks.
Pool / beach waiter service : Very hit or miss. We were tipping, but that didnt improve it - maybe we werent tipping enough? Dont know, but it certainly wasnt the level of service i expected.
Weddings : On some days there were 2 or 3 weddings a day. Not an issue, but you need to be aware that these seem to dominate the focus of the resort.
Wifi - Be aware there is no FREE wifi. Its an optional extra $50 per week. Despite stating in newletters, there is no free service. But there are two Windows 8 pcs in the Sunshine clothes shop which can be used by guests. In the end having no internet access was a blessing as it made sure we had a total break from the rat race.
We booked a couple of trips through Roberto (VIP). He was a good guy, honoured his promises and made sure we had a nice time. Even found time to pop to the local chemist for us. The Zipwire adventure was good and we had a great day out. The Samona island trip was nice too, but there was a lengthy bus ride needed to get there.
In summary, nice hotel and probably worth a visit, however in my opinion it wasnt as good as i would have liked or as good as the Tripadvisor rating suggests. If you get a good deal, then you should get value for money - just forgive it some of the minor niggles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the Caribbean Sea, white sand beach and lush gardens, Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana boasts 500 spacious rooms and ample suites surrounded by swaying palm trees and views of endless blue waters stretching to the horizon - the perfect setting in paradise. Take advantage of all the unlimited luxury activities Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana has to offer. Swim, sail, snorkel or windsurf in the turquoise Caribbean, enjoy fine a-la-carte dining, sip favorite cocktails at one of our bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Occidental Allegro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental
- Sunscape Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach
- Punta Cana Allegro