“Marvelous Entertainment!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Marvelous Entertainment!!!”
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Everything was great! Food was fantastic, Friendly staff specially Samuel & Rud at World Cafe, Entertainment was fabulous, so much fun and very entertaining specially, Juan Miguel and Felix, its sad that we are not able to say "Goodbye" to Juan when we left he was OFF. We enjoy a lot with a very nice weather. Oh boy, I will defintely refer to my family & friends. A very remarkable vacation. And take note "NO CHEAP BRACELET" during your stay.

Victoria
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I have used trip adviser to help guide my vacation bookings for years, so I figured it was about time to write a review. Let me start by saying that I have been on at least 15 all inclusive vacations which included Cuba, Mexico and Jamaica so you could call my opinion "well rounded" I suppose.

The people on this vacation: 2 couples, my wife and I had our 6 month old daughter and our friends had their 3 year old son. We had 3 sets of our parents accompanying us as well who have little or no all inclusive resort experience. Our friends also traveled to resorts extensively over the years. There was a diverse group to please.

We really liked Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana and would rate it the best value of any resort we have ever stayed at ($1600pp 7 nights incl flights), We would rate it #2 overall but our number one was our honeymoon and we could probably never justify spending that much on a vacation again. (Royal Cancun)

Overall Resort
Staff were amazing...this is a key part of the experience. I have been to resorts where staff were OK and for some reason you just don't feel welcome. Here the staff truly make an attempt to connect with you. Just ask and it is done. We wanted to move within the preferred club to be closer to friends and family and wondered weather it was worth the hassle. They found a room, told us to call when we were packed. We packed thinking it would take a few hours....we called and before we had time to leave the room the bellman was taking bags...and the baby's crib. That's service.

Size of the resort was perfect. Everything was less than 5 min walk. In the past we have been to large resorts and you feel like when you leave your room you have to be prepared for an all day excursion. Here everything is close so I wouldn't worry about which building you end up in when it comes to location. Our move wasn't really necessary now that I look back on it.

The towel game was played at this resort as well (people getting up early and saving chairs with towels and other items) but it was ineffective for those who tried it....because there we lots of chairs and shade almost every time we wanted it. It was actually posted in the preferred club and on daily announcements that chairs that were not occupied for more than an hour would be cleared of items by staff...although I did not see this happen it is a great policy and I wish it would be implemented and enforced at all resorts.

Rooms
The room was above average compared to past resorts. It had a flat screen TV...not that we watched it much, it was well decorated, bed was super comfortable, which is rare at most all inclusives, walk in shower was a nice touch....now is when I am supposed to complain right? Give it a break people, so a little water splashes out of the walk in shower on to the tiled floor that has a drain. Put a towel down and you are fine....so ignore that complaint on the other reviews. AC worked great. People complained about dampness....our first room was on the main level and it was worse than the second room. Ask for a higher floor when you check in....either way it was not enough to disrupt our enjoyment of the room. The fridge was stocked daily with 4 beer and 6 or so pop and juice. Towels were never a problem. They came every night right to the door for turn down and asked if you needed more of anything.

Beach
Awesome white sand...lots of shade available anytime we went to the preferred area. Water was great even in the wind because I enjoy the surf. The people who complained about the seaweed should relax a little...it's part of nature and the 4 guys that spent every single day going up and down the beach with tractor an rakes is a pretty good sign that the resort is doing their best to manage what is a minor issue at best.

Restaurants
The buffet was enough selection for anyone. Did I mention the size and age range of our group 6mos-70's and 2 members had gluten allergies. No one had issues with the food. If you think you are going to a high end steak house or are going to eat at a western chain restaurant you are mistaken. Let me say that the quality of all food was great. One night there was beef tenderloin which was awesome, another day whole carved turkey, one night lobster, lots of seafood like shrimp, mussels and few days scallops. Pasta station every day at lunch, lots of fresh fruit and juices, bacon eggs and omelettes is the am. Every type of bread on the planet. The Japanese restaurant was great....lots of chicken, beef and shrimp. The first time we went the Chef was more engaging and the second time the food was fine but maybe a bit less entertainment. We also went to the Seaside Grill one night and rib eye was a great steak for an all inclusive....as good or better than many restaurants at home. You will have no issues eating at this resort. I would say the food was by far the best offering at any resort in this price range. The only slight issue was room service.....The food was just so so and we just ordered it the first night because we arrived late. Now my Mom had room service for breakfast 5/7 days and raved about it. Either way there are lots of offerings elsewhere....you just have to leave the room.

Preferred Club
It's worth what we paid for it.....$100. We had an air conditioned lounge with two seating areas and massive TV's when we wanted to take a break from the sun or relax. There were two desk staff there all the time to help out and they were great. There were 3 computers with free internet access, you got free wireless if you had a laptop.....although it was in 10hr chunks(not sure why when you could just get another when you ran out?)self serve drinks (including beer and alcohol), mix and snacks. We had our own pool and dedicated beach area as well as a la carte lunch at the seaside grill. Also we had very attentive wait staff at the pool and beach. It wasn't spotty service. If you wanted a drink you might have to wait 5-10 mins to place an order and once you tipped for the first one she was there every 10 minutes. Would I pay more than $150 for it .....no. It was a nice touch. My only comment would be that there was nothing stopping other guests from using many of the same services except staff asking for your room number if you wanted something at the desk or the restaurant. It kind of diminishes the value if the guy next to me at the preferred pool is getting the same service as me and didn't pay for it. I'm not saying the area should be gated or anything like that but maybe it's a little more evident to other guests.

Drinks
No issue getting them, pretty wide selection in terms of liquor. Beer availability was Presidente, Presidente Light, Corona, Miller Genuine Draft and some Corona copy cat called One. All of these were available in bottles...but just here and there and every so often. Presidente draught was the default which was fine. It just would be nice to be able to get the same selection across the resort. People complained about them being light on alcohol...I didn't notice that. You ask for it and you get it.

Nice touches that make Dreams different:
Staff care
Hand towels and paper towels in the public bathrooms
Daily activity sheet delivered to you room the night before including a drink of the day, entertainment, games, kids club activities, special events.
Glasses at the beach and pool were not disposable....they were plastic that looked like glass.

My tips to you:
These people make very little money ($200 a month) live away from their families and work hard. Don't be the guy that bosses them around like servants, treat them with respect and TIP for good service. You will be surprised the reaction you get. If you are travelling with a group or even just another couple. Get yourself a few 2 way radios to stay in touch instead of establishing meeting places and times. It makes for a more relaxing vacation. If you plan to do lots of off resort shopping this resort may not be for you. The flea market down the street can be exhausting with all the haggling.

If you choose Dreams PB you will be impressed.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank small_town_boy98
Saint Georges, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2010

small area ...so easy to get around

compared to the la romana hotel ...the prefered club is not worth the extra $$$

and note the the washrooms in the rooms are closed off by a glass door .... so watch what you eat and drink ..sort of takes a bit of the magic away if one of you feels sick .

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 7 January 2010

It was my first time to all inclusive resort and it was worth it.The staff is great they always smile and work very hard to make everyone happy.THe shows at night are great and funny.The rooms are fair nothing fancy but you dont spend much time in the room.The food was fine there is always something for everyone.Overall the stay was great.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
ROSEMERE
Reviewed 7 January 2010

AWILDA PATRICIA NAD YANNIS at the explores club club were just superb. JUAN AND FELIX at the beach side grill were fantatic. RICHARD WILLY RAY and CUPID were excellente. and ROSEMARY at the world cafe and lobby bar was the best of a GREAT GANG.

Marilou Alexandra JeanD'Arc and Luis

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Ontario
Reviewed 7 January 2010

This review is for anyone who has any doubts about deciding to visit this resort. My girlfriend and I decided to take a vacation this Christmas as a gift to one another. After spending several weeks looking we booked our trip at this resort which turned out to be one of the best vacations each of us has ever taken. Both of us have been on a number of vacations to various resorts and Dreams Palm Beach is the best resort that we have ever been to. We paid a little extra money to stay in the Preferred Club, but this was money well spent. The food and service throughout the entire stay was excellent. The staff all spoke excellent english and we never had any problems communicating with them. The drinks were amazing and the staff was always there to refill your glass. Our room in the Preferred Club was very large with two bathrooms, a living room, and two flat screen televisions. The beach was amazing and as a club member there was a private section where you were served drinks by the ocean. In short, we had an excellent trip and I cannot wait to go back to this resort. Before we left we decided to read some of the reviews others had posted about this resort and I would suggest that no one should waste their time reading any review aside from those that give this resort a rating of excellent. The only advice I have for anyone going to Dreams Palm Beach is to be prepared to have a great time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ajlee12
Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2010

The service at Dreams Palm Beach was wonderful. The white sand beach was beautiful and there was always a beach chair to be found. I recommend an excursion. Everyone was very friendly and we never went without and thing we wanted. The VIP area is worth the extra money. You have access to your own pool, restaurant, bar and snack area. Again, I can't say enough great things about the service. Very pleasant staff.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!