“Service is amazing!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Ontario
“Service is amazing!”
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We loved our stay! Two weeks is not enough though. I would highly recommend the Dreams Palm Beach. It is 5 star, but the prices offered were often less than 4 star and that was part of the reason we booked it. The staff was unbelievable, they bent over backwards to make you happy and we made friends with tonnes of them. If you ever have a problem see Pedro the service manager and you'll be a 10 star guest the remainder of your stay. Also Marlenny, Simone, Wily and Richard all rock. We befriended a few of the mangers and they trying to get this place to be number one on Trip Advisor, and it shows.

The decor was superb, just completely redone 1 yr ago, and looked like a funky boutique hotel. The place was so well laid out that nothing was more than a 5 minute walk. It wasn't huge, I think 600 rooms, (which we have now decided like), but it still had all the enmities of a huge report, inducing 5 a la cart restaurants, a large buffet, a lunch snack place on the beach, tonnes of bars, huge theatre, spa, gym, stores etc, even a coffee shop that made all those fancy smancy coffee latte thingies.

The food was superb and all the high-end international drinks were readily available. (They even got my wife a bottle of Gran Marnier the day after her birthday because they had run out at the bar on her birthday.) My elderly mum, who gets the runs just thinking about eating dry toast, let alone some fruit, was not sick at all, so that says a lot about the quality of the food.

The beach was really nice, but I heard that it's a bit nicer up further north . There was no snorkelling without taking a boat so that really sucked. Also, the guys that run the water sports don't belong to the resort, although everything indicated they do, and they are very pushy and can scam you a bit. They tried to make me pay a deposit for the free snorkel and flippers. A word of advice, stand up to them and always knock their price away down. They will walk away if you low ball them for a water activity, but trust me they will come back. We paid half the price everyone was pushing for Parasailing.

One of my few other complaints is that the gym was very, very small and thus it was always crowded. I was told it's not safe to run off the resorts in the DR. That is a huge bummer for me and may be a deal breaker to go back to Cuba next time where it is super safe day or night. There seems to have unbelievable facilities for kids and teens and free programs where you can ditch them from early in the morning until late at night, although none of us had a need for them.

We spoke to a couple at the Carib Princess (apparently there is 5 Princesses) and it was 4.5 stars and they hated it; said it was about a 3 star at best. Also spoke with someone from Majestic (which is 5+) and he wasn't thrilled, said it was just okay. Of the two right next for, the Oasis looked so-so and people at Blau Naturale didn't seemed overjoyed.

The weather was also amazing for 13 of 14 days, except Dec 24, we had close to a hurricane. It was unreal the rain and winds, wild to watch, but scary if you don't like storms, or if you were one of there many whose room was flooded on the first floor. It wasn't predicted so it took everyone by surprise. They did a superb job of cleaning up after,

The tours all looked lame and gimmicky to us, so the only paid excursion we did, is I parasailed with my brother on Christmas. It was fun. My wife wanted to go to that Sonoma (sp?) Island where they say it is a pristine statuary untouched by humans, but we didn't and on the way home someone told us they went and there are 3 resorts there! They can be a bit scamy with the excursions I found. Also heard bad reviews from others, they found them kitschy.

This place is superb and well with the visit with amazing food, amenities, staff and beech! !

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank zoda99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,848)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I found this hotel to be a pleasant surprise. It was very clean and everything about it was nice. The staff is very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
calgary
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We just got back - we realize that everyone's perspective is different and we all have varying levels of expectations so for us ( a 50 year old active couple), we had a great time but a few notables which we will mention.

The weather was great with a slight breeze everyday. We thought the location was perfect for us as we didn't need to do much other than relax, long walks on the beach, swim in the ocean, games on the beach and at the pool and super bowl on the big screen tv on the beach! There is only one hotel on either side so it is a fairly secluded location and not packed with hotel after hotel to walk past on the beach - which we liked!

For those of you that need a perfect beach/ocean with no sea grass ever, then this is not for you - for us, we found the beach absolutely amazing!! We found that there really was very, very little sea weed/sea grass and on some days absolutely none at all - on those days that there was, a crew went past and cleaned it all up. However we did talk to some people that apparently were very disappointed that there was any amount of seagrasss (all a matter of perspective)...

The hotel - we thought it was lovely - only 500 rooms - so you are not walking forever and can get anywhere in the resort within 2 mins. However, when we checked in we were given a room in the 900 block - king size bed, balcony, nice bathroon and quite nice in general, but the furthest block from the beach (no problem there) and it looked out on the garden (no problem there), but was right in front of the garbage bin route and beside the big gate to their garbage dumping area (problem!).

So we decided to check out that "upgrade to the Preferred Club" side that was spoken of at check in. DO IT - is all that we will say. This holiday would not have been the same for us if we had stayed in that first room.

On the Preferred Club side we were shown a Jacuzzi room (not worth the upgrade for the room itself because it was the same size as the one in the 900 block only with a jacuzzi tub - but location was better) and another, but bigger jacuzzi room with a seperate bedroom with king size bed, with a sitting room and two bathrooms, two balconies - one side had a hammock, two tv's, and was right in front of the hot tub/private pool (which we later found out was the honeymoon suite).

We choose the upgrade (honeymoon suite 3117)at a very reasonable price (which we found out once back home was much, much cheaper to upgrade to in person at the resort than it would have been before we had left).

Drinks - premium brands and delicious
Evening - they do a great job with an outside bar along the main promenade set up with sitting areas and with live musicians each night for a few hours - very romantic.
Food - not a problem - desserts plentiful but not really flavorful - though the ice cream was delicious. Try the calamari at the Seaside grill - very tasty!
Meals - this resort does not take reservations, which we like - we ate every night around 7pm and did not have to wait.
Entertainment crew - at beach and pool were fabulous
Staff in general - very friendly, very helpful, just ask and more than willing to assist.

Before we left, we had read several reviews about people getting sick - we met alot of people while there and no one mentioned anything about getting sick (there is hand sanitizer everywhere it seemed). We did not get sick - but on the bus to the airport some people that were at Dreams Palm Beach were sick the whole time and they knew of a handful of other people that were as well - this is where we should have "knocked on wood" - one of us was sick the whole 8 hours back on the plane and both of us continued to be sick for the last few days.

All in all, we would go back again, but would absolutely stay on the Preferred Club side.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank art4ucalgary
Waterloo
Reviewed 11 February 2010

My husband and I travelled to Dreams Palm Beach from Feb 1 - 8. I enjoyed the first 3 days very much. The resort is beautiful. The grounds and main buildings are beautiful and well kept. Pool was great, beach was great, weather was perfect. The rooms are nice, but need updating (esp. bathrooms). However, on day 4 I became terribly ill. This ruined my vacation as I was barely able to leave my bed after that. I don't know if it was from food contamination, or an illness going around. It is easy to hear through the walls as others have stated, so I feel badly for my neighbours who would have heard me in the bathroom ALL night! I have never been so sick in my entire life. Nobody working at the resort seemed to care that I (or others) was ill either. I know of 3 others who were also ill. So, if you had asked me between days 1-3, I would have definitely recommended this resort. But, now I would have to caution you to be very careful about what you eat, etc.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
telford uk
Reviewed 11 February 2010

first let me say that there is a lot to like about this resort so first the good
restuarants
japanese good food +entertaining
grill excellent
chinese not to bad
world cafe good choice of food but not always very hot
entertainment team
all worked very hard and were alays friendly and good fun (rey is a fantastic guy)
staff
waiters and waitresess were always happy and happy to serve you seemed to be at your beck and call cleaners were very good
reception
not always up to standard of other staff at times almost seeemed snotty
bad things
location
the beach as not got the whoa factor i was hoping for and apart from the hotel there was nothing at all to do
we were there for 14 days after 4 my wife caught a bug which we were told had been going round the hotel for several weeks she was ill for the rest of the holiday and on our last day had to have a saline drip and treatment before we could get on the plane we are still waiting to see what our doctors report says. i myself was sick for about a day and a half
i asked first choice 4 days before we left and was assured there was no problem at this hotel (i`ll get it in writing next time)
i cant understand why this happens because the hotel seems to do everything cleanly and work hard on hygene
i`ve tried to be fair on this reveiw and hope things get better for the hotel in the future

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jillian48
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Hotel was beauitful.......beach and water was also........ Had a great time with my mother. The people were also wonderful.

Stayed June 2009
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Just back from here, 1/30 - 2/6. Had a wonderful time with a group ( Times Past Inn rocks) that goes somewhere every year. We have to escape from central Illinois in the winter. Service was outstanding. Special note to Annjelie in the lounge bar. Knew our names and drinks in 1 day. We aren't always easy to get along with. She was terriffic!! Simon and Rey from service and entertainment, ALWAYS askng if they could do anything else. Even Jimenez the "egg man" in the morning was always with a smile. We've been on Cruises, Ixatpa, Mayan Rivera, always all inclusive. My opinion, this was the best place. Food, great. Rooms, beach, pools area, could not be cleaner. But the service is what struck me as better than any other venue. I'd go here again, and I'm one of those people who don't like to go to the same place twice.

• Stayed February 2010