We loved our stay! Two weeks is not enough though. I would highly recommend the Dreams Palm Beach. It is 5 star, but the prices offered were often less than 4 star and that was part of the reason we booked it. The staff was unbelievable, they bent over backwards to make you happy and we made friends with tonnes of them. If you ever have a problem see Pedro the service manager and you'll be a 10 star guest the remainder of your stay. Also Marlenny, Simone, Wily and Richard all rock. We befriended a few of the mangers and they trying to get this place to be number one on Trip Advisor, and it shows.
The decor was superb, just completely redone 1 yr ago, and looked like a funky boutique hotel. The place was so well laid out that nothing was more than a 5 minute walk. It wasn't huge, I think 600 rooms, (which we have now decided like), but it still had all the enmities of a huge report, inducing 5 a la cart restaurants, a large buffet, a lunch snack place on the beach, tonnes of bars, huge theatre, spa, gym, stores etc, even a coffee shop that made all those fancy smancy coffee latte thingies.
The food was superb and all the high-end international drinks were readily available. (They even got my wife a bottle of Gran Marnier the day after her birthday because they had run out at the bar on her birthday.) My elderly mum, who gets the runs just thinking about eating dry toast, let alone some fruit, was not sick at all, so that says a lot about the quality of the food.
The beach was really nice, but I heard that it's a bit nicer up further north . There was no snorkelling without taking a boat so that really sucked. Also, the guys that run the water sports don't belong to the resort, although everything indicated they do, and they are very pushy and can scam you a bit. They tried to make me pay a deposit for the free snorkel and flippers. A word of advice, stand up to them and always knock their price away down. They will walk away if you low ball them for a water activity, but trust me they will come back. We paid half the price everyone was pushing for Parasailing.
One of my few other complaints is that the gym was very, very small and thus it was always crowded. I was told it's not safe to run off the resorts in the DR. That is a huge bummer for me and may be a deal breaker to go back to Cuba next time where it is super safe day or night. There seems to have unbelievable facilities for kids and teens and free programs where you can ditch them from early in the morning until late at night, although none of us had a need for them.
We spoke to a couple at the Carib Princess (apparently there is 5 Princesses) and it was 4.5 stars and they hated it; said it was about a 3 star at best. Also spoke with someone from Majestic (which is 5+) and he wasn't thrilled, said it was just okay. Of the two right next for, the Oasis looked so-so and people at Blau Naturale didn't seemed overjoyed.
The weather was also amazing for 13 of 14 days, except Dec 24, we had close to a hurricane. It was unreal the rain and winds, wild to watch, but scary if you don't like storms, or if you were one of there many whose room was flooded on the first floor. It wasn't predicted so it took everyone by surprise. They did a superb job of cleaning up after,
The tours all looked lame and gimmicky to us, so the only paid excursion we did, is I parasailed with my brother on Christmas. It was fun. My wife wanted to go to that Sonoma (sp?) Island where they say it is a pristine statuary untouched by humans, but we didn't and on the way home someone told us they went and there are 3 resorts there! They can be a bit scamy with the excursions I found. Also heard bad reviews from others, they found them kitschy.
This place is superb and well with the visit with amazing food, amenities, staff and beech! !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the Caribbean Sea, white sand beach and lush gardens, Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana boasts 500 spacious rooms and ample suites surrounded by swaying palm trees and views of endless blue waters stretching to the horizon - the perfect setting in paradise. Take advantage of all the unlimited luxury activities Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana has to offer. Swim, sail, snorkel or windsurf in the turquoise Caribbean, enjoy fine a-la-carte dining, sip favorite cocktails at one of our bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Occidental Allegro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental
- Sunscape Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach
- Punta Cana Allegro