“Nice 4 star”

Ranked #77 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Whitby, Canada
“Nice 4 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I can't remember if this hotel was rated 4, 4+ or 5 but I stayed here three times in my visits to the DR. I enjoyed this hotel, the facilities and its beach. People the next hotels over would come to this beach because it was better for tanning. I liked the simplicity of the resort and its efforts to blend in rather that stand out like a sore thumb (Riu etc..). More European clientèle than North American.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jacques T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

All of the negative things you've read are things you will likely experience yourself or observe of others. If you have a little more money, spend it elsewhere to have a more enjoyable stay. That being said, it could have been much worse as the Dominican is a developing nation. Here are a few helpful tips if you are traveling there.

1. Bring a larger insulated mug so you don't have to use all of the tiny plastic cups (most of which end up on the beach, uncleaned).
2. Be patient upon check in. Hopefully you will get a room with a king sized bed and working AC. If not, prepare to wait for a room and check in often with the front desk to see if you are actually on the official switch list.
3. Don't expect an "eco" experience. Nothing about this resorts practices are eco friendly. They have a million wait staff but none on the beach helping to pick up litter. The grounds are well kept but the birds are injured and are fed by tourists, a practice not good for their health.
4. Don't lose your towel card key. They will try and charge you $20 a card upon check out if you don't keep track of it.
5. Bring lots of sunscreen- it's worth the checked baggage fees. The resort and surrounding market rip off tourists charging up to $30 a bottle!!!!
6. Bring a first aid kit stocked with over the counters. If you have a sensitive stomach like my partner and I you'll need lots of tums, gas x, etc to get through the buffet line.
7. The weekends are a zoo! Literally bus loads of families roll in to spend the day at the resort. Book your overpriced excursions(be prepared to bargain) for the weekends to avoid the craziness.
8. Swim during the day...they close the beautiful pool at 7 pm each day. Not sure why...
9. See the Michael Jackson show. It's worth it.

Well, that's my review!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Mary N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The worst in Punta Cana, definitively not a 5 stars as it says on their lobby, service is terrible, rooms are ugly and dirty, you can hear completely what is happening in the other room, promotions are fake, we put our complain with the manager and he tried to hit me in front of other customers.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank José Miguel M
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have read a few reviews and don't understand why they were negative. My husband and I went here for five days on our honeymoon. It was a great experience and COMPLETELY relaxing. We were on the third floor in patio two. Vaulted ceiling and folded swan towels with flowers and fresh fruit greeted us our first day. Huge walk in closet and large balcony. Never had an issue with bugs..at all. Saw a few little gheckos on the balcony.
Each "patio" is a group of rooms with a huge center atrium. You feel like you are strolling through parts of a jungle. I loved how much nature was around you. It didn't feel like you were staying at a hotel-more like an adventure. I was hesitant at first as I had never used a groupon for international travel, but am still so happy we found this gem.
I found that most travelers here were Russian, German, some French, and Dominican. Great for a cultural experience. You make friends with everyone though on the futbal and volleyball court. I was impressed with the live shows at night too- we experienced some cirque de'sole moves, and a Michael Jackson tribute concert. Outstanding!
The food was OK. Best thing was the fresh fruit and smoothies. The buffets were good-tacos for lunch if you wanted, breakfast you could have them make you an omelet. Nothing outstanding but good. The restaurants on side that are extra were delicious.

Room Tip: Third floor has vaulted ceilings..but you get a workout from all the stairs. Which I didn't mind...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Q2296JCamym
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Blau Natura June 19-26, 2014. It was delightful.
If you read a 1- or 2-star review, ignore it.
The place has faults, but it's terrific to walk among the flamingos, peacocks, geese, ducks, egrets, etc.

So, is Blau Natura a 5-star resort? Of course not. There are several minor (in our opinion!) problems:

The toilet needs lessons on how to flush properly.
The key to the room safe was temperamental...and difficult to turn.
(We could have got another key, but didn't. Turning the key was my only useful activity.)
The hot water was just luke warm...but okay for showers.
(One afternoon we had wonderful HOT water and I soaked in the tub for an hour.)
The hair dryer provided "less-than-hot" air.
There's a lack of electrical outlets.
(The only "normal/available" one I found was by the sink.)
It would have been nice to have a sheet which described where lunch was, the hours, any entertainment, etc.
Sometimes La perla had a lunch buffet. Sometimes not.
Although the buffets were extensive (so you could always find things you'd enjoy), not every item was admirable.
I had a so-called "Beef Steak" which bore a striking similarity to leather.
And how come we only get one key, eh?
We'd leave the back door to our first-floor balcony unlocked so the key-less one could get in.

On the other hand: (There's always that other hand, eh?)

The grounds are extraordinary. Go for walks. Talk to the flamingos. It's good for the soul.
The rooms are quite nice with A/C, safe, tub&shower, fridge, TV, balcony, hair dryer, coffee pot and firm beds.
Daily maid service; she fills the fridge with water, beer and soft drinks.
The staff seems happy, friendly, ready to help.
Not all staff are so helpful. Heidi asked someone at reception where to change pesos to dollars.
He pointed roughly in the direction of the moon, said "cambio" and walked away.
The buffets were extravagant / extensive with great variety. (We've had less elaborate buffets at 5-star digs in Bali and Shanghai.)
The beach is awesome with plenty of lounge chairs and dozens of palapas.
There is piña colada everywhere.

Okay, so if the grounds and staff and beach are paramount, Blau Natura is a 4-star.
If you're fussy about your room facilities, well ...

Be sure to bring an extension cord with two "narrow" blades to fit the American-style 120 volt outlets (without ground).
(We ran a cord from the sink area to the bedroom and living area with several thingies plugged in. It resembled an octopus.)

Although there must be insects in the Dominican Republic, they must have been at some other resort. We didn't see a single insect ... just one dragon fly on the beach.

I have a daily diary which describes our stay in some detail, with comments, pictures and videos:

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing stairs, stay on the first floor. We had no problems with bugs or noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pjPonzo
vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have been to many resorts but truly this was the very worst of all!. Our room was old and so dirty. The food was barely edible. The pool was freezing cold. The beach was full of seaweed and rocks and we could not swim in it. We asked to be moved to another hotel through air transit. wahoooo we went to Iberostar and the last 5 days of our trio was fabulous .
This resort is a 3 star if that..pay a wee bit more and have a nice holiday.
Save yourself some grief..TRUST ME :):):):)

Room Tip: don't get a room here run run run
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank crystalblue999
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Honestly, all of the bad reviews I have been reading make me very angry. DO NOT COME TO AN ECO RESORT IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE NATURE. Yes, there are going to be bugs. Yes, there may be a bird flying around your food every once in awhile. Really, that was my favorite part! At breakfast I had the most beautiful peacock I have ever seen walk right up to me for a bread crumb! At first when I was booking this place through Groupon, I got scared by some of the negative reviews... but after my experience, I realized that the people writing them must be stuck up or used to the 'fancy/extravagant' life. Don't forget you're in another country! Especially one based around loving and using the earth, growing natural produce, and living simply! I was absolutely blown away by how beautiful the resort is. Completely open and one with nature. The scenery, the wildlife, the pool, the beach... absolutely breathtaking. Some of the food could have been better and that can happen anywhere, but as a whole, it was awesome! I would suggest sticking with fresh fruit and seafood! Yum! Also, the fact that all of the alcohol was included... so great... until I wound up hugging the toilet after too much mamajuana. I should mention I went on this trip with my mother, my best friend, and her mother to celebrate her graduation from college. The best part about this place is the people. The staff is utterly amazing... and good looking! The Animation Team... Laide, Jensy, Ana, Mr. Sunday, and the others are the highlight of the resort! They are soooo much freaking fun. There is always some activity going on, and they are always blasting some upbeat music and dancing around... Even during the times I really didnt want to participate.. I am so glad I did. We shared some unforgettable memories and have some very unforgettable videos :) :) The best part about participating in their activities is that if you win... later that night you get called up on stage and your prize is a diploma and a bottle of mamajuana! We came home with like 7 bottles total haha. Another plus is that even though their first language is spanish, their english is very, very good. Communicating with them is a blast, and that goes for all of the staff as well. We were also in love with all of the bartenders; Christian & Ramon to name a couple. Really, even leaving them a two dollar tip causes them to share mutual feelings and pour the drinks a little heavier. The pool bar was our favorite spot :) I miss this place so much... It was truly an awesome vacation. I suggest taking some of the excursions offered by the people at the resort... My Mother and I went on two and had the most wonderful time touring the Dominican Republic. It was truly the best experience of my life... and if you're like me, I hope you don't let these negative reviews from these negative people cause you to miss out!

WE LOVE YOU NATURA PARK! WE LOVE YOU ANIMATION TEAM! WE LOVE YOU DOMINICAN REPUBLIC! We are definitely returning someday, until then you will keep a piece of my heart. <3

Room Tip: We had a room by the pool, on the bottom floor and had no issue with noise. It was great. No issues...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends