“Excellent Hospitality, Beach and Grounds!”

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
Ranked #81 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 18 July 2013

For those who are reading the bad reviews, don't be mislead. This resort has wonderful staff, beautiful grounds, clean rooms and is on the most beautiful part of the beach. It might not be a five star hotel, but I can assure you it is not like being in a motel. I have been to this resort seven times. The reason why some may not like the food is "simply" because you are in a country that may not process food like in the United States. Look at it as you are eating organic and that will help you overcome some of the food reviews, but in all honesty, the food is not bad at all. We as American's tend to be spoiled when it comes to food. Also, in DR the electricity goes out and it happens at almost every resort. As far as mildew and bugs, you are on the beach. Did you expect to have a room like the Woldoff Astoria? Also, read what is included in the all inclusive because it does state that there is an extra charge for "top shelf" liquors. Lastly, I am going in November for my 8th time and I am really looking forward to seeing all my friends at the resort as well as relax on one of the most beautiful beaches. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor Units are great, but whatever unit you are in, you will be happy!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank FrequentVacationer5

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The beach was white sand and perfect for swimming. On the 2nd day, our room was switched from basically a motel room to an ocean front suite. The wifi only worked when close to the lobby. This was all inclusive, but if you wanted Jack Daniels, it was $6 per drink. That was the only bourbon you could buy. The food was basically hospital food: no steaks or lobster. The Mexican restaurant had NO beans! There is no service on the pool patios or beach area. If you want something you have to go get it yourself. I am a generous tipper, and still, no service, not even a smile in the bar areas, The people that work there don't seem happy. My husband and I took a 5 minute $30 ride 5 minutes away to buy bourbon $50 (equivelent to a 5th). The store in the resort was sky high prices. This was my most expensive and disappointing trip ever.. I will say that the beach was fantastic and the room was great, but only after we complained. Basically, we shoukld have avoided a resort in a 3rd world country because you can't venture out due to security reasons. You are trapped with their brand, style and prices.

Room Tip: Ask for Oceanfront. If you can avoid this resort, that's my best advice. I don't know how...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ellen8425
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We came here for our honeymoon thinking that since we had an "ocean view" at an "all-inclusive" resort that the rooms would not matter, but we were wrong! As far as our stay at the VIK Cayena Beach hotel, it was a DISASTER! We were completely DISSATISFIED with the hotel. The power cut off in our room and would not cut back on until maintenance came to fix it, the thermostat was BROKEN in our room (it would not go past 27 degrees Celsius which is 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and the maintenance man could not fix it even though it was 90 degrees outside. There was an INSECT INFESTATION in the room, we were locked out of our room twice due to CARD MALFUNCTIONS. The "mini-bar" in our room was really just a refrigerator with water and no alcohol, the food was disgusting and there were ants and bugs in the eating area. There was false advertisement regarding WI-FI (you can only use it in the lobby from 6pm-9am).The staff was rude as well. We encountered all of these issues on our FIRST DAY of staying here for our honeymoon. The next morning we checked out and went to a much better all-inclusive resort. Please DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: A/C does NOT work efficiently!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
10  Thank M D
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I read a lot of reviews about this place that scared me. I am here now, as I am writing the review and I have one day left and I love this place. The Cayena is embedded inside the Arena and the Cayena is like this little exclusive part of the Arena. So at the Cayena, you get all the use of the Arena and you also get your own private beach, clubhouse, pool and restaurant.

The worst part of the resort is there are mostly 2 beds per room, and the AC doesn't get to like 60 degrees F. But everything else is great. You are issued a beach towel at check in, which you need hang on to it, but you can swap it out at any time for a fresh one. If you can deal with these little inconveniences, you will have a great time.

The good part of the resort is the super friendly staff. I think the people that work here don't expect tips, so giving a few dollars to your bartender goes a long long way. They remember your name and drink and if you want a lime or not. Even the people that didn't tip got great service. I saw some reviews that said the staff was mean, this flat out isn't true. They are so friendly and professional, I don't know how anyone could say that.

There are two sit down restaurants on the Arena side plus a buffet and one sit down restaurant on the Cayena side. We ate at everyone, the buffet was very adequate though. There is also a restaurant not included in the "all inclusive" fee it is above the Cayena sit down restaurant, we went there and it was totally empty, we had the place to ourselves, had two bottles of wine and had steak and lobster. I highly recommend this if you can go. They have all the top shelf liquor as well, it cost us like $100 for two of us but it was well worth it. The name do the secret restaurant is called "La Proa" or something like that. It's so cool inside. You. Have to go.

As I said the beds are small, and separate but I sleep so well on them. The long days in the sun and drinking may be part of the reason for that as well.

The rooms are surprisingly clean, friendly maids come daily and clean thoroughly. The restock the free mini bar as well, it's not like a hotel mini bar, but its a mini fridge with beer, soda and water.

They came to spray for bugs one day. It took like 2 minutes we just waited on the porch. We did find like 5-6 very small ants in the room once. I just sprayed sunscreen on them and they died and didn't return. That was before they sprayed. They sprayed without us asking either, just scheduled maintenance I believe.

The private beach for Cayena guests is way nicer then the Arena beach, just cause its smaller, elevated up higher and has hammocks and sun chairs under umbrellas. It's also landscaped and awesome. The Arena beach is nice too, but the Arena beach may have like 400 people on it and Cayena may have 15, also you can see why it's nicer. There are friendly security guards keeping the riff-raff out of the Cayena beach side as well.

There is pretty awesome entertainment here nightly, you wouldn't think it would be too good when you see the little stage, but it is good entertainment . The magic show was the best. There is a new one every night with a different theme. There is a little night club here too, but it was empty almost every night. If you want some night life, take a taxi to the Hard Rock, it's like 15-min away and has a few clubs inside. But I'm thinking you probably didn't come here for the night club scene. We were so tired by midnight every night anyways, we mostly just passed out except for one night to the hard rock.

I'm thinking that some of the bad reviews may have been for the Arena Side of the resort, but the staff is the same, the food is the same, the entertainment is the same, so the only complaint that MAY have merit is the rooms on the Arena side may be not as nice. Their pool is huge, but not as new as the Cayena side, which is smaller with a swim up bar.

The lobbies here are all open air but never seem to get too hot and there is a bar within 50 yards of any location of this property. The Cayena side has name brand liquor and the Arena has some no name stuff. But you can always get a "presidente" beer on draft anywhere. You can even pour your own in the buffet.

In summary, this hotel is a 4.5 star in my opinion, I guess the food could have been a little better, but I'm probably just a spoiled American, the food was pretty good. Scenery is spectacular, staff is just as good as I've seen anywhere ever. If you're reading this prior to booking, try to book at the Cayena versus the Arena, but if you're going to stay at the Arena, I think you are in good hands.

Room Tip: There are only a few king size beds, so good luck, but the small beds are nice. I stayed in room 204...
7  Thank MikeDStewart
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I and my husband had there perfect vacation. We spent in Punta Cana 2weeks. I really high recommended this resort. If you prefer small hotel, for not too much people , VIK Cayena is the best for you. Private area, nice beach,great location, food, service, room, all :)

2  Thank meggie3
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Vacation Nightmare

I am writing to you about my unsatisfactory trip to Punta Cana. Upon arrival,
they had one studded bus for the 500-600 people who got off the plane. Once
that bus was full, everyone else had to walk. The weather at that time was
about 87 degrees and the sun was beaming. We had to stand in line to pay to
get into the
country. Then we stood in numerous long lines for immigration etc. After
getting to the area to pick up our ride, my husband and I were the
only ones searched at the exit of the airport. Our bags were sent thru a
scanner. Then our bags were physically checked by an airport worker who made
us take off the locks. She asked how much money I had and I told her $500.
She went into my wallet and pulled out my bank envelope and proceeded to
count my money. This was extremely unprofessional and I will never travel to
that country again. We got to our resort and after returning from
dinner found roaches running around our room. My husband told 3 people about
this and they laughed at him. I called the front desk and was told that the
front desk does not open until 8 am. We had to sleep on the couch of our
brother and sister in law that night. First thing the next morning we told
the
front desk about this. After going round and round EZ decided to come and
see. He applozied told us to go to breakfast and our room would be changed
by the time we were finished. They moved our bags to our new room only to
find the sugar ants in our room. So every day we had to kill quite a few of
them. The resort was nice. The food selection was okay. The workers could
not speak English but were nice to deal with after day one. The issue is the
unacceptable accommodations. Had we not traveled with someone else, we
would not have had a room to stay in for the night.

Room Tip: Pray before you get there.
1  Thank sweet503
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Trip was good, food was average, drinks above average if you special order them, the unit was very nice particularly bathtub shower area. The entertainment was pretty good (similar to cruise ship.) We even had our own backyard patio area which was rather nice. However, the timeshare had roaches. Who wants to come back to a place with roaches, and possibly take them home with them?
They need to exterminate the whole place to prevent this problem and not just one or two units because, the roaches will just travel to another unit when you try to exterminate them.

Finally was disappointed that we had to pay all inclusive fee for days we were not there. The fee of $62 per person adds up!

2  Thank Gia846