“Wonderful Vacation at Cayena!”

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
Ranked #80 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bedminster, NJ
“Wonderful Vacation at Cayena!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I visited this hotel with friends and family July 20th through July 27 and had a wonderful experience. I have also been to this resort a few years back. The employees are wonderful, the rooms are clean and the beach is beautiful. The rooms are nice and although this is not a 5 star resort, you will like the spacious rooms. This resort is directly on the beach, unlike others where you have to walk a bit to get to the beach. What makes this resort special is the employees who work there. Cayena offers breakfast and lunch, which is awesome food! For those of you reading the other reviews, you need to keep in mind that the food is not like here in the United States.

There are plenty of activities for all ages and a show every night! You can also book some amazing tours. For the money, you will have an excellent vacation in paradise. Don't be afraid to book this resort. You will see what I mean by the people who work there as well as the beauty of this nicely landscaped property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JRDM5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Richmond, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I visited the VIK on July 20th -27 with my family of 11.
Let me start off by saying that if I was only going with my husband and kids I never would have chosen this hotel based on the reviews alone but since A family member has a time share getaway here we stayed here. That being said here is my review:
The VIK has 2 sections the Arena Blanca side which is suppose to be the lower end of the resort and The Cayena which is suppose to be the more exclusive section, the differences that I noticed was the Cayena side has a separate section on the beach which has nice beach beach loungers and it is not crowded, the Cayena side also has a restaurant and bar which makes some of your food to order, for staying on the Cayena side the hotel arranges a 2.5 hour snorkeling tour for free only on Wednesdays, you only have to sign up and the front desk, the rooms are big, we didn't have a problem with bugs, and the hotel has a lot of entertainment but the caters to Spanish and French so if you only speak English you will be stuck out on most entertainment days.
My biggest problem with this hotel is the food, it was always old, dry and a majority of it looked inedible and most of my family members had upset stomachs at some point on the trip.
The beach is very beautiful and clean that's the only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars.
If I went back to DR I would not return to this hotel I would go to Excellence or another 4 or 5 star resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank April B
Anaheim Hills, CA
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a week at this property. The bad reviews that you read about this hotel are true. I should have listened and picked another hotel. They are spot on when there are consistent mentions on these items:

FOOD - absolutely the worst food ever! Pretty much on par with a bad cafeteria. Each restaurant piggybacks on the same food and it all taste the same. The buffet was the worst! Old, dried up food. Because you paid all this money for the all inclusive up front, you are trapped to eat here. Our whole family had upset stomachs and had to get remedies at the gift shop. We weren't the only ones not feeling well as the clerk at the gift shop said that she was selling quite a bit of Imodium to all the guests. By day 5, we stopped eating at their restaurants because it was gross and didn't want to feel ill again.

BEVERAGES - beverage service is non-existent here. If you need a drink, go to the bar and wait in line. They serve their daiquiris/piña coladas out of these 7-eleven type machines and it tastes disgusting. Their soft drinks are terrible and their juices are a punch. The wine they serve is like drinking cheap cooking wine. Their liquor is the cheapest stuff available.

GUEST ROOMS - I will say that we got a beautiful ocean view from our balcony which we were very appreciative of. That was the only positive of the room. I can't tell you if every room has a view like ours. The beds were bad and small. We couldn't get a good night's rest. Our backs were aching the whole trip. There were tons of ants in the room. They even had a guy come spray on Wednesday but that didn't help. The air conditioner did not work well. We asked to have someone look at it and he just told us that the unit was not good.

WIFI - they advertise that there is wifi in the guest rooms but there wasn't in ours. I even asked the front desk clerk if there was wifi and he said that you won't get good reception. This was really disappointing!! Lots of guests were upset about this. You have to go to the lobby to get reception check your emails or get on the Internet.

EMPLOYEES - the employees at The Vik Cayena are really nice! They are hard working and care about hospitality. They just have to deal with the poor product that ownership gives them.

I hope this review with all the other bad reviews of this hotel are read by ownership and the fix these major problems. Until they are fixed, I do not recommend this property. Stay away!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Kobesan2000
Union
Reviewed 18 July 2013

For those who are reading the bad reviews, don't be mislead. This resort has wonderful staff, beautiful grounds, clean rooms and is on the most beautiful part of the beach. It might not be a five star hotel, but I can assure you it is not like being in a motel. I have been to this resort seven times. The reason why some may not like the food is "simply" because you are in a country that may not process food like in the United States. Look at it as you are eating organic and that will help you overcome some of the food reviews, but in all honesty, the food is not bad at all. We as American's tend to be spoiled when it comes to food. Also, in DR the electricity goes out and it happens at almost every resort. As far as mildew and bugs, you are on the beach. Did you expect to have a room like the Woldoff Astoria? Also, read what is included in the all inclusive because it does state that there is an extra charge for "top shelf" liquors. Lastly, I am going in November for my 8th time and I am really looking forward to seeing all my friends at the resort as well as relax on one of the most beautiful beaches. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor Units are great, but whatever unit you are in, you will be happy!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank FrequentVacationer5
Indio, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The beach was white sand and perfect for swimming. On the 2nd day, our room was switched from basically a motel room to an ocean front suite. The wifi only worked when close to the lobby. This was all inclusive, but if you wanted Jack Daniels, it was $6 per drink. That was the only bourbon you could buy. The food was basically hospital food: no steaks or lobster. The Mexican restaurant had NO beans! There is no service on the pool patios or beach area. If you want something you have to go get it yourself. I am a generous tipper, and still, no service, not even a smile in the bar areas, The people that work there don't seem happy. My husband and I took a 5 minute $30 ride 5 minutes away to buy bourbon $50 (equivelent to a 5th). The store in the resort was sky high prices. This was my most expensive and disappointing trip ever.. I will say that the beach was fantastic and the room was great, but only after we complained. Basically, we shoukld have avoided a resort in a 3rd world country because you can't venture out due to security reasons. You are trapped with their brand, style and prices.

Room Tip: Ask for Oceanfront. If you can avoid this resort, that's my best advice. I don't know how...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Ellen8425
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We came here for our honeymoon thinking that since we had an "ocean view" at an "all-inclusive" resort that the rooms would not matter, but we were wrong! As far as our stay at the VIK Cayena Beach hotel, it was a DISASTER! We were completely DISSATISFIED with the hotel. The power cut off in our room and would not cut back on until maintenance came to fix it, the thermostat was BROKEN in our room (it would not go past 27 degrees Celsius which is 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and the maintenance man could not fix it even though it was 90 degrees outside. There was an INSECT INFESTATION in the room, we were locked out of our room twice due to CARD MALFUNCTIONS. The "mini-bar" in our room was really just a refrigerator with water and no alcohol, the food was disgusting and there were ants and bugs in the eating area. There was false advertisement regarding WI-FI (you can only use it in the lobby from 6pm-9am).The staff was rude as well. We encountered all of these issues on our FIRST DAY of staying here for our honeymoon. The next morning we checked out and went to a much better all-inclusive resort. Please DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: A/C does NOT work efficiently!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank M D
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I read a lot of reviews about this place that scared me. I am here now, as I am writing the review and I have one day left and I love this place. The Cayena is embedded inside the Arena and the Cayena is like this little exclusive part of the Arena. So at the Cayena, you get all the use of the Arena and you also get your own private beach, clubhouse, pool and restaurant.

The worst part of the resort is there are mostly 2 beds per room, and the AC doesn't get to like 60 degrees F. But everything else is great. You are issued a beach towel at check in, which you need hang on to it, but you can swap it out at any time for a fresh one. If you can deal with these little inconveniences, you will have a great time.

The good part of the resort is the super friendly staff. I think the people that work here don't expect tips, so giving a few dollars to your bartender goes a long long way. They remember your name and drink and if you want a lime or not. Even the people that didn't tip got great service. I saw some reviews that said the staff was mean, this flat out isn't true. They are so friendly and professional, I don't know how anyone could say that.

There are two sit down restaurants on the Arena side plus a buffet and one sit down restaurant on the Cayena side. We ate at everyone, the buffet was very adequate though. There is also a restaurant not included in the "all inclusive" fee it is above the Cayena sit down restaurant, we went there and it was totally empty, we had the place to ourselves, had two bottles of wine and had steak and lobster. I highly recommend this if you can go. They have all the top shelf liquor as well, it cost us like $100 for two of us but it was well worth it. The name do the secret restaurant is called "La Proa" or something like that. It's so cool inside. You. Have to go.

As I said the beds are small, and separate but I sleep so well on them. The long days in the sun and drinking may be part of the reason for that as well.

The rooms are surprisingly clean, friendly maids come daily and clean thoroughly. The restock the free mini bar as well, it's not like a hotel mini bar, but its a mini fridge with beer, soda and water.

They came to spray for bugs one day. It took like 2 minutes we just waited on the porch. We did find like 5-6 very small ants in the room once. I just sprayed sunscreen on them and they died and didn't return. That was before they sprayed. They sprayed without us asking either, just scheduled maintenance I believe.

The private beach for Cayena guests is way nicer then the Arena beach, just cause its smaller, elevated up higher and has hammocks and sun chairs under umbrellas. It's also landscaped and awesome. The Arena beach is nice too, but the Arena beach may have like 400 people on it and Cayena may have 15, also you can see why it's nicer. There are friendly security guards keeping the riff-raff out of the Cayena beach side as well.

There is pretty awesome entertainment here nightly, you wouldn't think it would be too good when you see the little stage, but it is good entertainment . The magic show was the best. There is a new one every night with a different theme. There is a little night club here too, but it was empty almost every night. If you want some night life, take a taxi to the Hard Rock, it's like 15-min away and has a few clubs inside. But I'm thinking you probably didn't come here for the night club scene. We were so tired by midnight every night anyways, we mostly just passed out except for one night to the hard rock.

I'm thinking that some of the bad reviews may have been for the Arena Side of the resort, but the staff is the same, the food is the same, the entertainment is the same, so the only complaint that MAY have merit is the rooms on the Arena side may be not as nice. Their pool is huge, but not as new as the Cayena side, which is smaller with a swim up bar.

The lobbies here are all open air but never seem to get too hot and there is a bar within 50 yards of any location of this property. The Cayena side has name brand liquor and the Arena has some no name stuff. But you can always get a "presidente" beer on draft anywhere. You can even pour your own in the buffet.

In summary, this hotel is a 4.5 star in my opinion, I guess the food could have been a little better, but I'm probably just a spoiled American, the food was pretty good. Scenery is spectacular, staff is just as good as I've seen anywhere ever. If you're reading this prior to booking, try to book at the Cayena versus the Arena, but if you're going to stay at the Arena, I think you are in good hands.

Room Tip: There are only a few king size beds, so good luck, but the small beds are nice. I stayed in room 204...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!