“What a wonderful place”

Ranked #82 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Riverside, California
“What a wonderful place”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at this resort for a week, which was not enough. The food at all the restaurants was very tasty, rooms were very clean, and all the staff members were so friendly even though they were there for hours and hours on a daily basis. This is an all-inclusive resort, but it is wise to bring tons of $1 bills if you want to tip the staff (they all deserve it). The front desk hardly has any change so the only option you have is to go to the exchange desk across the lobby to get peso's, which they naturally have to purchase back from you at a higher commission. Like I said, all the staff members are wonderful, but two exceptional employees are Niccauri at the reception desk, and Javier in the Mexican Restaurant by the pool, who has a permanent smile, not matter what time of the day it is and will go above and beyon to make you happy. As far as tours are concerned, be sure to see Ramoncite Joseph in one of those sheds by the pool (as you go towards the main entrance of the resort, he will give you the best price on any tour that he has on his brochures. We did a price comparison and his prices were by far the most reasonable. The service is also very friendly. By the way, if you want to take some fabulous photo's, look for Jean, youngster that can be found at the photo studio by the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank D D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from VIK Sept.6th-Sept.12 very pleased with everything the resort had to offer. The resort is well kept,the beach is great, it is a small resort which makes walking to and from things very easy. Had a very nice vacation{except some rain} at this resort. Part of the pool is closed due to some repaires, glad to see the resort keeps up with repaires. Pleasant and nice people that work there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Linda F
Hayward, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My girlfriends and I just came back from the VIK yesterday. I must say it left an ever lasting impression on me. This was a trip to get away from the everyday stresses of life in the states, work, school etc.

Rooms: SUPER CLEAN and there was enough room for 4 girls and ALL of our luggage. Daily we had fresh towels, the mini fridge stocked and the beds left immaculate.

Food: It is an all inclusive which I probably would have preferred not to have as the choices in food/meals was very basic and not a lot of variety. The beverage service was basic, however it was bottomless so need less to say I was a HAPPY camper.

Staff: I would say ALL but a couple of the staff were excellent. We had an issue with ALEXY who serves in the restraunts. He was not very friendly and/or accommodating to our needs. DALTON and YOHAN were excellent, friendly and greeted us always with a smile!!! PEDRO who was the bar tender at the snack bar was very polite, friendly and hospitable. Front desk staff was also very friendly and helpful!!

ANIMACTION TEAM: Where to begin.... daily they held activities on the beach for both the Arena and Cayena guests and nightly they supplied us with many laughs and unforgettable performances. I must recognize ALFREDO, ANTONI, and RAUL as they were always smiling, friendly and polite. The staff at these hotels work day and night and seem to never lose their energy, smiles or enthusiasm for their jobs.

Overall this was the vacation of a lifetime.... I def plan to return to the DR very soon!!

Room Tip: Dont expect to be on time for anything.. haha.. they run on Domenican time at the resorts, tours etc...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Bendaj2013
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I visited this resort July 27-August 3. The staff members were incredible. Registration was easy and our luggage was taken from the main lobby directly to our room, which was immaculate and had a wonderful view! You cannot beat having your own private beach, swimming pool and restaurant separate from the larger resort.

The service and food at the El Cano was excellent. I cannot say enough about the staff. They really made you feel like family. The food in the other restaurants was good as well.

My children especially enjoyed the entertaining shows in the evening, especially the Michael Jackson show! There were plenty of activities to do on the resort during the day. Overall our stay was very good and would definitely go back there.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor had an amazing view of the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer C
Bedminster, NJ
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I visited this hotel with friends and family July 20th through July 27 and had a wonderful experience. I have also been to this resort a few years back. The employees are wonderful, the rooms are clean and the beach is beautiful. The rooms are nice and although this is not a 5 star resort, you will like the spacious rooms. This resort is directly on the beach, unlike others where you have to walk a bit to get to the beach. What makes this resort special is the employees who work there. Cayena offers breakfast and lunch, which is awesome food! For those of you reading the other reviews, you need to keep in mind that the food is not like here in the United States.

There are plenty of activities for all ages and a show every night! You can also book some amazing tours. For the money, you will have an excellent vacation in paradise. Don't be afraid to book this resort. You will see what I mean by the people who work there as well as the beauty of this nicely landscaped property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JRDM5
Richmond, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I visited the VIK on July 20th -27 with my family of 11.
Let me start off by saying that if I was only going with my husband and kids I never would have chosen this hotel based on the reviews alone but since A family member has a time share getaway here we stayed here. That being said here is my review:
The VIK has 2 sections the Arena Blanca side which is suppose to be the lower end of the resort and The Cayena which is suppose to be the more exclusive section, the differences that I noticed was the Cayena side has a separate section on the beach which has nice beach beach loungers and it is not crowded, the Cayena side also has a restaurant and bar which makes some of your food to order, for staying on the Cayena side the hotel arranges a 2.5 hour snorkeling tour for free only on Wednesdays, you only have to sign up and the front desk, the rooms are big, we didn't have a problem with bugs, and the hotel has a lot of entertainment but the caters to Spanish and French so if you only speak English you will be stuck out on most entertainment days.
My biggest problem with this hotel is the food, it was always old, dry and a majority of it looked inedible and most of my family members had upset stomachs at some point on the trip.
The beach is very beautiful and clean that's the only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars.
If I went back to DR I would not return to this hotel I would go to Excellence or another 4 or 5 star resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank April B
Anaheim Hills, CA
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a week at this property. The bad reviews that you read about this hotel are true. I should have listened and picked another hotel. They are spot on when there are consistent mentions on these items:

FOOD - absolutely the worst food ever! Pretty much on par with a bad cafeteria. Each restaurant piggybacks on the same food and it all taste the same. The buffet was the worst! Old, dried up food. Because you paid all this money for the all inclusive up front, you are trapped to eat here. Our whole family had upset stomachs and had to get remedies at the gift shop. We weren't the only ones not feeling well as the clerk at the gift shop said that she was selling quite a bit of Imodium to all the guests. By day 5, we stopped eating at their restaurants because it was gross and didn't want to feel ill again.

BEVERAGES - beverage service is non-existent here. If you need a drink, go to the bar and wait in line. They serve their daiquiris/piña coladas out of these 7-eleven type machines and it tastes disgusting. Their soft drinks are terrible and their juices are a punch. The wine they serve is like drinking cheap cooking wine. Their liquor is the cheapest stuff available.

GUEST ROOMS - I will say that we got a beautiful ocean view from our balcony which we were very appreciative of. That was the only positive of the room. I can't tell you if every room has a view like ours. The beds were bad and small. We couldn't get a good night's rest. Our backs were aching the whole trip. There were tons of ants in the room. They even had a guy come spray on Wednesday but that didn't help. The air conditioner did not work well. We asked to have someone look at it and he just told us that the unit was not good.

WIFI - they advertise that there is wifi in the guest rooms but there wasn't in ours. I even asked the front desk clerk if there was wifi and he said that you won't get good reception. This was really disappointing!! Lots of guests were upset about this. You have to go to the lobby to get reception check your emails or get on the Internet.

EMPLOYEES - the employees at The Vik Cayena are really nice! They are hard working and care about hospitality. They just have to deal with the poor product that ownership gives them.

I hope this review with all the other bad reviews of this hotel are read by ownership and the fix these major problems. Until they are fixed, I do not recommend this property. Stay away!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!