“Manage expectations”

Ranked #82 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
USA
“Manage expectations”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

So seven months ago my wife and I went to VIK Arena Blanca on the spur of the moment and were approached about buying into the Cayena Beach. Being famliar with the Marrott Vacation Club, I was hesitant about committing a large amount of money for the vacation club or time share side of Arena Blanca, but I was surprised at how little money was needed to get into the program here. I bought a package and we returned last week for our first week at Cayena Beach.

There are only 43 units on the Cayena Beach side so the place is very small, very quiet, very private, and the service is excellent and personal. There is a nice pool for Cayena Beach Club folks only and it is always virtually empty. There is a bar and restaurant, El Cano, reserved for Cayena Beach Club folks that serves buffet breakfasts and menu lunches. Both are excellent. Dinners are at the main buffet or the specialty restaurants on the Arena Blanca side. The bar offers some upscale liquor as opposed to what folks get at Arena Blanca. For example, Tanqueray is the speed rack gin. For an up charge you can get higher end stuff also.

The beach is beyond compare with faux wicker loungers and cushions. You have your choice of a little raised area beachfront that is very private for Cayena Beach Club folks only, or you can go down three steps to the regular beach. There were always loungers available any time of day. The beachfront is patrolled by security to make sure only Cayena Beach Club folks use that portion of the beach and it is empty and beautiful. If you take a walk left and right you will see others jammed onto the beach at other resorts, but not here.

I think to understand if this place is for you, you should ask yourself some questions. Do you want to pound tequila shooters till three in the morning with 25 year olds while dancing to the pounding rhythms of merengue? If so, then stay away. The crowd is older, or family types, and the bar at El Cano shuts down around 10 I think. Even the Arena Blanca side is small and quieter than any other resort I've been to except for one in Mexico that unfortunately was destroyed by a hurricane. You should also know that this place caters to foreigners. Americans are few and far between. Germans, French, Canadians, Russians seem to be everywhere and while all main staff speak English, secondary staff like maids, servers, and groundskeepers only speak Spanish.

You should also know that while I am extremely happy with my purchase at Cayena Beach, the place is showing some wear. Management is aware of that and I was told rooms are to be refurbished next year. Now, it is the Domincan Republic, so who knows? Also, when I was at Arena Blanca seven months ago in high season, the food was excellent. This time, in the off season, I was a bit disappointed in the food and, for the first time I can remember, left the Mexican restaurant without eating what was presented. It was seriously bad, yet when we ate there seven months previous it was fine. Nonetheless, neither my wife or I experienced any stomach issues and we ate the salads and leafy greens.

When I read bad reviews about places in the DR I think it is because folks expect these places to be like a top end Las Vegas hotel. In the DR, things move at a slower pace, the beds are universally harder and the pillows flatter, beef seems to be something folks there have difficulty preparing properly anywhere, levels of cleanliness might be a notch below perfect, and venders might seem pushy. If any of that bothers you, don't go to a developing country.

Finally, only one show is worth seeing at the Arena Blanca side. Do not miss the Domincan Folklore show, Soy Domincano. A professional touring troupe of performers put on the show. It is so high energy and amazing that you will be exhausted just watching it. The other stuff is high school quality put on by the animation staff, mostly getting French tourists on stage and making fun of them. Of course, making fun of the French has its own charm. Also, when you walk out onto the beach, turn left and walk a couple or resorts down to a strip of shanty stalls where local venders try to get you to buy stuff. Don't be put off. You can acutally cut a good deal if you did some price research before going. Coffee, Mamajuana, jewelry (be careful), paintings, and cigars can all be had cheaper, and in some cases much cheaper, than at the shops at the resorts or airport, but you should know what you are doing. When you fly in check out the prices at the airport of stuff you might want or at the resort you are staying at, then you can bargain with the local vendors.

I give this place five Dominican stars. If you understand that you will not be disappointed and, like me, may buy in.

Room Tip: The place is only three stories high. I chose the third story and had a great ocean view. First fl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank freods

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Riverside, California
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at this resort for a week, which was not enough. The food at all the restaurants was very tasty, rooms were very clean, and all the staff members were so friendly even though they were there for hours and hours on a daily basis. This is an all-inclusive resort, but it is wise to bring tons of $1 bills if you want to tip the staff (they all deserve it). The front desk hardly has any change so the only option you have is to go to the exchange desk across the lobby to get peso's, which they naturally have to purchase back from you at a higher commission. Like I said, all the staff members are wonderful, but two exceptional employees are Niccauri at the reception desk, and Javier in the Mexican Restaurant by the pool, who has a permanent smile, not matter what time of the day it is and will go above and beyon to make you happy. As far as tours are concerned, be sure to see Ramoncite Joseph in one of those sheds by the pool (as you go towards the main entrance of the resort, he will give you the best price on any tour that he has on his brochures. We did a price comparison and his prices were by far the most reasonable. The service is also very friendly. By the way, if you want to take some fabulous photo's, look for Jean, youngster that can be found at the photo studio by the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank D D
Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from VIK Sept.6th-Sept.12 very pleased with everything the resort had to offer. The resort is well kept,the beach is great, it is a small resort which makes walking to and from things very easy. Had a very nice vacation{except some rain} at this resort. Part of the pool is closed due to some repaires, glad to see the resort keeps up with repaires. Pleasant and nice people that work there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Linda F
Hayward, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My girlfriends and I just came back from the VIK yesterday. I must say it left an ever lasting impression on me. This was a trip to get away from the everyday stresses of life in the states, work, school etc.

Rooms: SUPER CLEAN and there was enough room for 4 girls and ALL of our luggage. Daily we had fresh towels, the mini fridge stocked and the beds left immaculate.

Food: It is an all inclusive which I probably would have preferred not to have as the choices in food/meals was very basic and not a lot of variety. The beverage service was basic, however it was bottomless so need less to say I was a HAPPY camper.

Staff: I would say ALL but a couple of the staff were excellent. We had an issue with ALEXY who serves in the restraunts. He was not very friendly and/or accommodating to our needs. DALTON and YOHAN were excellent, friendly and greeted us always with a smile!!! PEDRO who was the bar tender at the snack bar was very polite, friendly and hospitable. Front desk staff was also very friendly and helpful!!

ANIMACTION TEAM: Where to begin.... daily they held activities on the beach for both the Arena and Cayena guests and nightly they supplied us with many laughs and unforgettable performances. I must recognize ALFREDO, ANTONI, and RAUL as they were always smiling, friendly and polite. The staff at these hotels work day and night and seem to never lose their energy, smiles or enthusiasm for their jobs.

Overall this was the vacation of a lifetime.... I def plan to return to the DR very soon!!

Room Tip: Dont expect to be on time for anything.. haha.. they run on Domenican time at the resorts, tours etc...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Bendaj2013
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My family and I visited this resort July 27-August 3. The staff members were incredible. Registration was easy and our luggage was taken from the main lobby directly to our room, which was immaculate and had a wonderful view! You cannot beat having your own private beach, swimming pool and restaurant separate from the larger resort.

The service and food at the El Cano was excellent. I cannot say enough about the staff. They really made you feel like family. The food in the other restaurants was good as well.

My children especially enjoyed the entertaining shows in the evening, especially the Michael Jackson show! There were plenty of activities to do on the resort during the day. Overall our stay was very good and would definitely go back there.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor had an amazing view of the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer C
Bedminster, NJ
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I visited this hotel with friends and family July 20th through July 27 and had a wonderful experience. I have also been to this resort a few years back. The employees are wonderful, the rooms are clean and the beach is beautiful. The rooms are nice and although this is not a 5 star resort, you will like the spacious rooms. This resort is directly on the beach, unlike others where you have to walk a bit to get to the beach. What makes this resort special is the employees who work there. Cayena offers breakfast and lunch, which is awesome food! For those of you reading the other reviews, you need to keep in mind that the food is not like here in the United States.

There are plenty of activities for all ages and a show every night! You can also book some amazing tours. For the money, you will have an excellent vacation in paradise. Don't be afraid to book this resort. You will see what I mean by the people who work there as well as the beauty of this nicely landscaped property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JRDM5
Richmond, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I visited the VIK on July 20th -27 with my family of 11.
Let me start off by saying that if I was only going with my husband and kids I never would have chosen this hotel based on the reviews alone but since A family member has a time share getaway here we stayed here. That being said here is my review:
The VIK has 2 sections the Arena Blanca side which is suppose to be the lower end of the resort and The Cayena which is suppose to be the more exclusive section, the differences that I noticed was the Cayena side has a separate section on the beach which has nice beach beach loungers and it is not crowded, the Cayena side also has a restaurant and bar which makes some of your food to order, for staying on the Cayena side the hotel arranges a 2.5 hour snorkeling tour for free only on Wednesdays, you only have to sign up and the front desk, the rooms are big, we didn't have a problem with bugs, and the hotel has a lot of entertainment but the caters to Spanish and French so if you only speak English you will be stuck out on most entertainment days.
My biggest problem with this hotel is the food, it was always old, dry and a majority of it looked inedible and most of my family members had upset stomachs at some point on the trip.
The beach is very beautiful and clean that's the only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars.
If I went back to DR I would not return to this hotel I would go to Excellence or another 4 or 5 star resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#88 of 111 in Punta Cana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!