“Awesome Resort”

Ranked #80 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brooklyn, New York
“Awesome Resort”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is my second time coming to the Cayena Beach Resort. This time I brought along my friends and family who we travel with as a group every year. Since I had been to DR before and I already knew about the $10 surcharge at the airport so going through customs was a breeze. I had called Melanie at the front desk in advance (which I advised everyone to do) so that she could arrange transportation to and from the airport to the resort. Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted by Barbara who took very good care of us and checked us in early without incident.

The resort is amazing. The views are breathtaking and the rooms are not fancy but VERY clean and what you would expect being so close to the beach. They restock your fridge everyday and if you would prefer more beer than soda or water just let them know and they will take care of you. Make sure to tip your maid, it goes a long way.

All the restaurants are great. We had 22 people in our group and NONE of us got sick!! The buffet is large and usually busy because it is connected to the the sister resort. The International, Italian and Mexican restaurants are speciality restaurants but included in the all inclusive package. To me the best restaurant is the poolside restaurant because it is intimate and private for Cayena guest only. There is nothing like getting up early in the morning and having breakfast beachside. I strongly suggest that you tip when being served. Yes its all inclusive but you can not beat the service and it's worth every penny!

The only problem that we experienced at the resort was with the timeshare people. They CATER to Euorpeans, they are aggressive, rude and prejudice. We were at the poolside restaurant for lunch and they had potential timeshare owners that they were trying to woo in the area above the restaurant. We waited over an hour for our food because they were serving them instead of us actually sitting in the restaurant which was wrong. Barbara, realizing that we were still waiting for our food after passing by several times apologized to us and went into the kitchen and made them serve us immediatley. Our food came out quickly and she also sent Champagne to every room from our group that was waiting. Great Customer service, Barbara you rock girl!

Also, nobody asked us if we wanted to buy a timeshare for reasons I believe is because we were all African American. Then out of the blue realizing that there were so many of us and trying to seize the opportunity to solicit they bring a guy to talk to me who has walked past me the last few days. My wife and I went to hear what he had to say and then I told him what I had to say which is the fact that he along with others have walked past and through our group the last few days while we were in the lobby, restaurant, beach and other areas of the resort without a Hola or nothing. All of the members of my group are professional people who own homes and make great salaries and just as I am an owner could afford to buy a timeshare but due to the lack or respect, courteousy and just plain decency we declined and there was nothing else to talk about and we walked off. The look on his face was priceless and to say that he was shocked is an understatement!

Ezekiel arranged for members of our group to play golf and go shopping. The car service guys were amazing. They did not leave our side while in town and when they felt that we were being harrassed by the merchants they immediately stepped in! Thanks Ezekiel for the security!...lol :D

Nonetheless, we had a really great week there. Ezekiel, Barabara and Melanie all deserve a raise! They took very good care of us and treated us like family. They along with the bartenders and staff at the poolside restaurant are the reasons we keep coming back and will be coming back November 2014.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the poolside restaurant
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
16 Thank Kim P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
christiansburg
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We went to VIK Cayena Beach for our honeymoon. The resort is beautiful with pretty landscaping and amazing views. Our room was enormous, biggest hotel room I have ever stayed in (we were told it was the largest room because it was the corner unit). We had amazing beach views with a large balcony. The Cayena Beach side of the resort is much more private. Most days we were one of only two or three families at the pool and had the bartender pretty much to ourselves. Pro tip - a lot of people bring their own large cups/thermoses to the bartenders to get bigger drinks instead of the little cups that they provide. Wish we had known that when we packed our bags! The Cayena beach access is also much nicer than the other side - there are nice cabanas, hammocks, and lots of umbrellas. We read some reviews about people having a hard time getting a spot at the beach but we never had an issue even on days when we went out to the beach later in the afternoon. I have been to lots of resorts before where you have to rush to reserve yourself a seat but this is definitely not the case at Cayena. There were always extra seats both at the pool and at the beach.

The food was another issue. Before we arrived I read lots of reviews about the sanitation of the food but thought it wouldn't be a big deal. There are 5 restaurants at the resort and only one restaurant on the Cayena side, I don't remember the names but the Cayena restaurant was definitely the best. However, on about the second or third day there we both got sick. My husband was violently ill for the night and we ended up having to cancel one of our excursions because he was so sick. We both had diarrhea for the whole week. We eventually tried to stay away from foods that were supposed to be kept cold because we think the issue was with refrigeration - so no fruit, ceviche, or other cold dishes for the rest of the week.

Overall I would still give the resort a 4 out of 5 because it was so beautiful and private. The staff were also extremely helpful and nice. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are huge
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank regannicole928
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The view and location is breathtaking. There are several activities that are included, such as: kayaking, tennis, and on site entertainment.The inside of the rooms and food quality is equivalent to a best western. I would stay at this resort again, but I will consider the price difference to stay at the Hard Rock

Room Tip: Definitely stay at Cayena Beach if your staying at the VIK; eat at the private Cayena Beach Bar/rest...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kraesly C
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This little botique resort (only 47 suites, 3 floors, no elevator) was a home run. It is part of a larger resort next door where we could use their facilities but they could not use ours so it was somewhat exclusive. The rooms were a little outdated but who spends anytime in your room when in paradise. The meals & entertainment were great & the staff was very good & moved at the typical isand pace.

Room Tip: Third floor oceanview is reserved for owners but if you can request one you may luck out.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Jay G
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went on this trip with my husband and my best friend to celebrate our birthday. This trip exceeded my expectations it was amazing in everyway. Upon arrival I felt extremely welcomed by the staff. Nikki and Ezekiel were very informative and Nikki arranged all of our activities and excursions accurately and was very patient and kind. The restaurant El Cano was great and the food was delicious all of the staff was extremely hardworking and friendly. Newton the bar tender was very good and made the best drinks. He was also very kind and made us feel like family. The bar tender by the pool tables Michael and Ruddy were very pleasant as well and worked very hard to keep us happy. The animation team was also the highlight of our trip. They kept us entertained with all the activities threw out the day and the shows at night. In particular Fabio Castro, Joel, Willin, and Carmen were the best. I could go on and on about how amazing our trip was we will definitely be returning soon. I recommend this trip to any and everyone. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Crystal1162014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had the best time at Vik Cayena. Melanie at the front desk was so helpful along with the entire staff. We had such a great time that 4 out of the 8 of us want to come back within the next two years. Great relaxing time. Pedro the chef and the entire wait staff was incredible. Thanks so much for a wonderful vacation!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank NycMita
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My Girl & I just got back, went feb 1st to feb 8th, It was perfect, smaller more quiet resort, private beach, weather was amazing. I've been to Hawaii 4-5 times, this was just as nice. The entire staff was very accomadating, Room was very clean, food was good, lots to choose from.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!