Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #33 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Bahia Principle Esmeralda was amazing. All he staff was absolutely wonderful and courteous. Food was good from the buffet areas. .but "Miakoo" and "The Grill" were delicious!! I will DEFINITELY be returning! until then ...Adios!♡

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank solarstar1226
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Customer,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that we have provided you an amazing vacation, with not one single reason to disappoint. It is an honor and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments to all our staff.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at the Esmeralda between Dec 1 - Dec 8. This hotel is absolutely incredible. One of my favorites (and I've been to a lot). The reason why we booked the Esmeralda section is because we wanted to be close to the beach. This resort is so huge that to get around, they offer trolley service. We walked from the Esmeralda section to the Punta Cana section in just under 12 minutes so it's not totally difficult to get around but if you have mobility issues, definitely take advantage of the trolleys.

Staff
The staff at this resort is incredible. While a bit frustrating at times trying to communicate in English (I don't speak Spanish), these people go out of there way to accomodate you. We were travelling with a one year baby and at all the restaurants the staff went out of their way to get a high chair, hot water, soap to wash her bottles, etc… I would give the staff ten out of ten for exceptional service.

Beach
The beach is nice (I've been to nicer). The water is a beautiful color, almost from a magazine but there is a lot of seaweed and the waves are quite rough at times and there is an under current. So for non swimmers (like myself), I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I would however go into the water every day to about my waist but that's about it. I wasn't taking any chances.

Pools
This resort has so many pools. Big ones, smaller ones, some with Jacuzzis, you name it this resort has it. We stayed at the Esmeralda pool most of the time because it was a bit quieter than the others. The pool area and the pool itself is very clean and there were no issues with any of it. The drinks at the swim up bar were hit and miss. Sometimes good, sometimes not good.

We ate at the Jasmine Buffet from breakfast and most lunches. The food is quite good for Punta Cana and there are a lot of variety each day. I found it a bit strange though that they only open for lunch at 1pm but we made do and spent the time at the pool while waiting to eat.

We also ate at the snack bar near the beach a few times for lunch and that was also quite good.

Because we were travelling with a one year old, we were not granted access to the Ambar restaurants but that didn't bother us, since there were plenty others to choose from for dinner. We pre-booked our a la cartes ahead of the trip and we were not disappointed as the hotel had our reservations ready for us. The first night we ate at Le Gourmet. The food was pretty good and worth trying to find the restaurant. We asked about 30 people where it was located and got a different answer from each person we asked. LOL. The second night we ate at one of the three Japanese restaurants at the resort. This one was called Maiko. We did the teppanaki style dining and were not disappointed. One Tuesday nights at each of the buffet restaurants its what's called the GALA night where they serve lobster and seafood. Make sure you don't book an a la carte that night because the seafood was amazing and in abundance. Another night we ate at the Garden Grill which was lovely and also El Pescador (Mediterranean Cuisine on the Punta Cana side by the beach). Our last night we ate at the Santa Fe, which we were disappointed because none of us really like Mexican food so I'm not sure why we ended up there LOL

Rooms
On the Esmeralda side the rooms are very spacious. House cleaning was done once a day and at night we were provided with new towels, etc… I have one MAJOR beef with the beds. They are as hard as a rock and the pillows are awful. I am not a complainer and when I read others taking about this I didn't believe them. I had neck and back pains for the first few nights until I guess I got used to sleeping on the hard mattress and so did the others in our group of 6. I hope the resort listens to what people have to say about.

Airport
I found the airport prices ok. Since we didn't leave the resort, this is where I did my shopping. There are a lot of fast food places there too for example: Wendy's, Baskin Robbins, Cinnabon, Sabarro, etc…
All in all we had a great time, fantastic weather and a great resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Travelbunny2013

Dear Guest,

It is grateful to read that you spent a great week with your group in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection. We are also very pleased to know that you enjoyed your vacations thanks to our rich gastronomy, great restaurants, as well as the good service from our employees. Please rest assured that your observations have been taken in the highest consideration.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resor

Reviewed 10 December 2013

The resort grounds and pool areas are beautiful. We were not at all happy with the food. In fact, my husband was sick for two days with intestinal problems. The waiters at the bars are very polite (especially if you tip well), but the maids and other service people do not even acknowledge you when you pass them in the hall. Not to mention the fact that they hardly speak any English--we found it very hard to communicate with waiters, waitresses and maids. There is no nightlife whatsoever, so if you are okay with going to bed at 11:30 you will be in your glory.
We will never go back here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Donna G
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Donna G,

We regret wholeheartedly about all the situations you have described to us.

We consider it should be taken into consideration that certain risks are involved when traveling to the tropics. There are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reactions, among others.

We apologize for the negative impressions you perceive about our Resort.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I recently return from a stay at the Esmeralda with my new Bride. We headed down with a group of our family and friends (53 people in total) to get married.

There was a few things we didn't find up to par at the Esmeralda though. These did put unneeded stress upon us and the group. I am unsure if the resort was really able to handle a group of our magnitude or any magnitude at all.

When we had first arrived at the central resort hub, most places would welcome you with some kind of greeting or coordination. The groups bags were quickly thrown off the bus, where we were then pushed aside for about a half hour, watching as others who arrived were swept away with their bags to their individual resorts. Our group quickly made room for the elderly and children underneath the trees for some shade. After we finally loaded up and headed to the Esmeralda reception, we got there to find only half of us had rooms at the current time. Coming from Canada, you can imagine it might have been a little warm still in our winter clothing. My bride and I did not have a room when we checked in, but realistically, our guest were our priority. Out of the half that did have rooms, most found that if they had required two beds, they received one, and vice versa. Reception was unable to help them out. So we took it upon ourselves to coordinate who required a different room, and we were able to do the swapping.

Our room was finally ready around 3:30 and we were able to check in. Much better than some who had to wait until 5:30, and had to check back in at the reception desk (at the request of the Receptionist) ever 15 minutes to see if there room was ready.

The next event that I was particularly upset about, ended up leading to my bride in tears on her wedding day. At 7:30 the day of wedding, she was to meet the ladies hair and makeup artist in the lobby. This was prearranged before we got there through not only the Stylist, but also the resort. When we met with the wedding co-ordinator, we were assured that the guest pass was in order (which we were charged for) and there was nothing to worry about. We also took the time the time the night before to confirm there was no issues with the Reception desk of the Esmeralda. At 7:40, I was woken up when the taxi cab driver called our room and explained that security would not allow the Stylist in, as the guest pass was not in order. I quickly rushed down to reception, only to be told at the time, there was nothing that the Esmeralda could do about it, and they quickly wanted to push this issue aside. After asking to talk to a manager, I received an answer that I became familiar with, "you don't need to speak to a manager". After 20 minutes of getting the run around, and seeing that Bride was in tears after repeatedly being told there was nothing the hotel could do at this time, I took it upon myself to talk to a Customer service rep, who quickly made a few phone calls to diffuse the situation, and get this woman past security. The delay of almost an hour, ended up pushing the hair and makeup appointments back, but luckily to the skill of the Stylist, she was able to get everything done.

The girls were able to get ready in the room, despite a known leak, leading to water pouring on the floor. This required maintenance staff to be in and out while the girls were getting everything in order. I think this is why while the wedding was going on, they took the time to pour us a bath, with rose pedals on top. Too bad they didn't take the time to remove the plates and glasses the ladies called to be picked up at 3. So when we returned on our wedding night, with the please clean sign on the door, we were greeted by dirty plates and glasses everywhere.

The ceremony, although a half hour late (due to the Justice of the Peace arriving late), was beautiful. They did tell the guest to arrive at 4:30 (a half hour before) and seating was not set up until shortly after 5.

I requested to talk to a manager, but did not actually get to talk to one until our last night. It was then we were offered late checkout for all the frustration. This didn't mean too much, as they knew we had to check out at 9:30am to make our flight. There were numerous other complaints from the group, including food poisoning (which we could both relate with), inconsistencies with housekeeping, frustrations with the Reception desk, and lost items.

There was however a group consensus, that the service staff at the various restaurants and bars were exceptional. Those staff members were on par with what could be expected at a 5 star resort. They made the stay better, and definitely added to the atmosphere on a daily occurrence. We also seen that individuals like our photographer really went above and beyond.

Room Tip: Don't waist your time pre-arranging any rooms with the hotel. We had individuals make special r...
Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jason M

Dear Jason M,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, because your opinion is one of our top priorities and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us. For this reason, we hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any mis perception you may have.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Well to start this is my 2nd time here. My fiancé and I went back this year with 28 other people to get married at this resort. As always, the staff were amazing and the resort beautiful. (Check out Alex at the pool bar and Maximo at the lobby bar)

Our wedding went off without any problems thanks to Doralis our wedding Co-ordinator. I read some comments before we left about brides being blackmailed so I was a little taken aback. Yes, you do have to pay the day before for all your wedding stuff, but I don't think that is unreasonable at all. Everyone at the resort gave us all the information up front, so there were no surprises.

The beach is amazing, the food at the buffets were delicious and a great selection for anyone. I have some really picky eaters in my family and believe me no one went hungry. The shows were great but we only went to a couple of them...

For couples....try the romantic dinner on the beach it was absolutely stunning. 7 courses of food, red wine, white wine, champagne.....amazing. It cost 100 per person but for me was well worth it.

If you decide to go here.....it will be well worth it.

Room Tip: I didn't comment on the childrens activities as I don't have any. But they have a very big w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank bailey078
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Bailey,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection as your wedding destination. Thank you for acknowledging Doralis, who will be very happy to learn that she was able to contribute in creating a dream and amazing wedding for you.

We feel proud to read that you enjoyed our amazing beach and the food at the buffet, and also, to know that you had a memorable experience during the romantic dinner.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again and be able to continue providing unforgettable experiences.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream wedding in the Caribbean.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

16-23 nov 2013.
I did not like:
-buffet repetitive with very salty foods (same problem for the a la carte restaurants)
-the waiters more concerned with arranging the tables than to serve the customers
-not all included in international beverages (lobby)
-coffee made ​​automatically in lobby (coffee maker), as in airport
-If you order a Campari orange, you get the campari and the ice from the bartender, and you will take yourself the orange jus from the dispenser (5 stars resort ???)
-crowded resort, beach full
-mini bar in the room is poorly
-Don Pablo Collection sounds good but it's nothing special

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ionstancoi
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to. We regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

We really hope to consider coming back to any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts and be able to change any negative perceptions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just back from one week holidays from November 30th to December 7th. Been there with my husband and we were at the Esmeralda in the closest building to the sea on the last floor room 90210 (very close to the stair as well). This is a perfect location very close to the beach and the pool as well as the lobby of the Esmeralda and beeing on the 3rd floor no noice from the people upstair!
The weather was not very nice which is unusual for this time of the year but this as nothing to do with the hotel...would have taken more sun!
Like I read in many review the place is huge, clean and the Dominican are always smiling and saying Hola.
The food is good. We went to the buffet of the Punta Cana for breakfast one morning at the Orquidea and it's mostly the same as the Jasmin buffet of the Esmeralda but with a little more choice of food but for example the mimosa is offered at the Jasmin.
For the restaurant A la carte we were lucky egought to be able to get 6 reservations which were made before our departure with our travel agent. My prefered one is the Garden Grill were you have to take the filet mignon. At the Porto fino the lasagna is nice. At the japaneese Mikado the food and the show with the cook is good but shirmp and salmon were too cooked...THe italian Il Capriccio is not worthed. The canneloni were good but my husband was very disappointed with the seafood spaghetti. At the Bella Italia an other italian restaurant, this one is very good and finally at the other japaneese on the Esmeralda side (don't remember the name) I took some pinapple chicken that was fine but but husband was sick that night most probably because of the sushi...never eat raw fish in the Carabeen!
At the Jasmin buffet there is one night of seafood and sheelfish, make sure to be there if you're a lover of shrimp and lobster tail.
The beach is beautiful with plenty of chair, no worry to get there at 6:00 in the morning to reserve a place unless you want to be in the front row.
The winds were strong so we were not able to go sailing as much as we would have like.
My husband had to go to the physician because of sand in his eye lip and every thing was taking care of in less than an hour. Very competent doctor and hopefully our travel insurance will reimburse the 256$ it cost...
So if I resume, this is a very nice hotel if you love a big complex and if you're a walker because it's a little town in itself!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane L

Dear Diane L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of good food and our great buffets.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Always at your disposal,