“Esmeralda Luxury”

Ranked #35 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Gatineau, Canada
“Esmeralda Luxury”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was there for 10 days at the end of November 2013. Very good experience. We were beside the construction site but we were never bothered by noise or workers. This is one of the best hotel in Punta Cana. The beach is beautiful, the grounds are well kept, you are close to everything. The rooms are great and we had communicating rooms. We had made reservations to the restaurant by e-mail before arriving, that was great. My only complaint is that the a la carte restaurants are at the Ambar. Great hotel but I still prefer the Riu Palace Macao.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Monique63_09
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Monique,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our special Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda for ten days.

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Also for highlighting that Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, is one of the best hotel in Punta Cana.

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,559)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Just returned from a weeks vacation, March 17-24 at the Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, the resort is beautiful, the buildings are in immaculate condition. The staff were friendly and would go out of their way to assist. The dining at the restaurants was always a treat, but request reservations in advance by email. I also requested in advance to have a room in blocks 90, 91 or 92 on the second floor. We were in Block 92 overlooking beautiful gardens which is only a 5 minute walk to an amazing beach. Get up early 6 AM to mark your spot with towels if you want a front row lounge.
If you are planning on dining at the Italian restaurant always order a side order of pasta with tomato sauce, at the Japanese restaurant, there is two, order a side order of rice. They don't normally come with the dishes and just completes the meal be it beef or chicken. These two restaurants are a must. The Le Gourmet French restaurant, very tasty but the portions are too small. Snack before you go. The Garden Grille was another special, remember they cut their steaks differently then we do. The buffets: great selection and good food.

Our room was impressive and spotless, leave a minimum of $3 tip per day for the cleaning staff, they really appreciated it and will do special things in your room.

Although there is a tram service there is always someone to take you around, the complex is huge, again a little tip goes a long way.

While at the bar I noticed a supervisor checking the temperature of the ice water, also entering the buffet or restaurants you were given a hand sanitizer, there is a lot of people there, this is precaution that is very much appreciated.

Remember you are travelling to another part of the world, the food will be different, expect it and enjoy it. Will certainly be returning to this particular resort, will certainly recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Request in advance for a room in Blocks 90, 91 or 92. Eating facilities are just minutes away.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 881369
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear client,

It is wonderful to know that you had a perfect experience at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, and to read that you are going to return and you will recommend us to your friends.

Thank you for mentioning our good food at the special restaurants and the impeccable rooms!!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Dominican Republic!!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed their for a wrk in March 2014. The floors are paper thin and we would wake up at 3 am to high heels every freaking night. The food was blow average and the la cartra restaurants had worse food than the buffet. The beach is packed and the chair get taken way too early for somebody who wakes up at 10am. For some odd reason the servers started to ignore us the last couple of days I'd suggest try eating at different buffets I don't think they like to see the same faces for a week straight. Amaura from butler service was the man.

All in all there are better hotels out there for the price we paid. Try the riu palace next door the price is similar.
Wouldn't visit again that's for sure and if you paying more than $1000 for a week you are getting ripped off in my opinion.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel A
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear client,

All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. I apologize if you felt you did not received the service you deserve from some staff and for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

You can be assured that we regret not to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction

Regards from the Caribbean,

toronto
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My mom and I visited this resort during the week of March 01-08, 2014. The resort is beautiful and well-maintained and the beach is lovely, but we had some ups and downs.

So first, the GOOD things:

-Amazing, picture-perfect beach. The color of the water is beautiful and you could walk for miles. The waves are fun to play in. A bit rough for kids because of the undertow, in my opinion anyway, but kids seemed to enjoy it regardless.

-Great staff. Nestor and Maximo in the lobby bar make delicious drinks. Nestor is only one of two bartenders I've met in my life that can make a perfectly balanced mojito. Yuleda and Victor were excellent butlers. Yuleda, thank you so much for getting us a proper room and making our vacation finally begin, and for the apple pillows! Ramon and Jesus in the beach restaurant are sweethearts - thank you Ramon for the fantastic platinos fritos! Fernando, along with all of the other buffet staff at Ambar, are incredibly attentive. Chelea, thank you for listening to our concerns.

-The food was pretty decent, and at proper temperatures. Not amazing, per say. But definitely better than what I've had at any other buffet. I especially liked the 'Vegetarian Corner' and 'Kids Corner'. Also, the food is constantly replenished in the buffet, so you don't have to worry that if you're late, you will get only leftovers or the food running out. The only bad thing - which is no fault of the resort - is that parents allow their children to go wild in the buffet, so they touch everything, even if they don't take it. But what can I say, I even saw parents using fingers to take foods from the buffet instead of the provided utensils. So you can't blame the kids either.

-The coffees were always piping hot and delicious. You must try the espresso!

-Cleanliness of the rooms is quite good. I happen to be one of those 'crazy' people who are faithful with my Lysol wipes, and clean the surfaces and switches of a room/bathroom before settling in. The good thing is that after wiping, there was not much dirt on the wipes, so housekeeping has been doing a good job. The only negative of the rooms was that in two of them that we were in (same block), there was a sewer smell coming from the toilet or shower, I'm not sure which. Although we advised the front desk of this problem, and the fact that the toilet seat kept sliding, it was never fixed.

-Well-kept grounds. The boardwalk leading to the beach is constantly being swept, the gardeners are always working, and the grounds are immaculate.

-Ability to use any facilities within the whole Bahia complex. Being at Esmeralda, you can use any facility anywhere, which it's nice to have that freedom. We only used those of Esmeralda and Ambar though. If you don't have children travelling with you, I would highly recommend the buffet at Ambar. The chocolate fondue there is divine, and definitely beats the chocolate fountain at Esmeralda ;)

-Nice pools. I'm not a pool person per say, so I did not go in, but people seemed to enjoy it very much.

-Lots of water sports are available. And the staff there were also very nice. It was a pleasure chatting with Peter and Gilbert.

The BAD:

-Changed rooms 5 times - Most staff at the front desk are quite useless, although a couple were helpful. Asked the travel agent to request a quiet room, preferably 3rd floor and close to the beach. We were placed on the 3rd floor, right by the stairs (not very quiet!). Got moved to a second floor room, away from the stairs. But the floors are quite thin, and we can hear everything upstairs including the lady coming in after 11pm walking around in her high heels, her child crying and running, etc. Third move was to a 4th floor room in the 96 block. Seemed perfect. Except that I got bitten by something (had to visit the doctor for shots because Benedryl did not work), heard a tapping noise that moved from one end of the headboard, and ended up at the other end two hours later. Fourth room (at 2am) was back to the noisy room, but at least I wouldn't be eaten alive. And the fifth move, was finally to 92219, on the 3rd floor, close to the end. Too bad that was until Wednesday, and we were leaving on Saturday. A huge thank you to our butler Yuleda, who took it upon herself to make the move possible, and even helped me pack and move. Victor was also great :)

-Beach chairs taken before 6:30am. I usually get up pretty early, but even getting to the beach at 6:30 isn't early enough to get the palapas I wanted. Also, the beach is very crowded, so you are very close to your neighbors. It's fine for some people, and exciting for people-watchers. But not ideal for R & R.

-Chunks of brick or stone on the beach. Most of the beach is clear, but there are still some stones to watch for, especially along the back and close to the boating area. So just keep an eye when walking.

-Millions of coconut trees everywhere, yet $4 for a coconut. Yet, all the imported drinks are free... hmmmmm... I'm a vegetarian, and neither my mom nor myself are big drinkers. All we ask for are some coconuts... But at this rate, given how much we already paid for this 'all-inclusive', we'll go broke!

-Lack of service in the restaurant for our first few days. Perhaps it was because it was two single women, or maybe because we were colored, not sure. But somehow the servers would completely skip us, even though they would refill the coffee of every other table in the section. I suspect it was because there was no man present, because I ran into a single mom who was apparently having the same sort of issues. ***After speaking with the customer service rep (Chelia), who happened to be at the buffet and witnessed the lack of service herself, there was a dramatic improvement. However, my mom and I were turned off, and had most of our meals at Ambar, or the beach restaurant.

-The Transat reps who gave us are introductory session were not very helpful, nor attentive. Even though we were one of the first to arrive to the session in the morning, he did not even give us the pamphlet. His colleague was very abrupt when we had went to the office in error asking her where in the lobby we should wait. Also, during the meeting, she said we cannot eat at Ambar. However, being at Esmeralda, you can!!!

-Reservations at a la cartes are virtually impossible. Some were not even available during the whole week. And when we asked to speak with a manager, no manager was available to discuss the issue. I would highly recommend to book them via email ahead of time if possible. It wasn't much of an issue for us though, because we were happy with the buffets.

-The minibar isn't always restocked accordingly. Once the soda water was replaced, but wasn't on two other days. The juice boxes were never replenished, but I did enjoy them.

-The complex is huge, without proper signs. We ran into quite a few people who asked for directions. Although everywhere is wheelchair accessible (even the beach has ramps, which is great), but an older person might have difficulty orienting themselves. But the good thing is that there are many trolleys available, and the drivers offer to pick you up, even if you're not at an official stop.

BOTTOM LINE: Would we return? Maybe. Although there were some negatives, the staff is great and the beach is picture-perfect. If it weren't for the room issue, it would have been a yes.

Room Tip: It's a small resort, so all rooms are good. For quiet, the third floor, away from the stairs is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank chipmmunk
Dear client,

I would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the rooms changes you have experienced during your stay and we were not able to meet your expectations in this trip. Concerning the lack of service you mentioned, please allow us to inform you that your point of view has quite surprised us, because we usually receive excellent feedback about the staff friendliness and attentiveness that characterize the Dominican people.

Thank you very much for highlighting the good things you mentioned, especially the lovely beach and well maintained grounds.

We really hope you could consider to give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Toronto
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Went Feb 24-Mar 3 with my husband. This was our 2nd time there, the last time was 3 years ago with friends and we really liked it then.

This time the hotel was fine (nice enough), the food was terrible (even with the a la carts every night), and the service was average at best. Considering you're paying a little extra to be in the Esmeralda the food is quite bad.
The beach is the best reason to go. The best part of the Esmeralda is that you are so close to the beach. The drinks are not good (the only place where it seems they serve the 'good' alcohol is at the Lobby Bar) & if you are on the beach you are going to wait a long time to be served at your lounger so best to get up & get it yourself.

Luckily the weather was gorgeous & the rooms are clean enough so all in all still had a good time but don't go expecting good food. Oh yeah & the gym is minimal at the main one & dismal at the Ambar (which you are allowed to use as an Esmeralda guest, but don't bother).

Unless they had an amazing deal & we were going with a group we won't go there again.

Room Tip: Building 90 or 91 (closest to the beach is best) we were in 91120 (which is 2nd building from the b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mimi_on_the_Beach'07
Dear client,

We regret that in this second time with us you were not satisfy with the services. We regret your observations about our food concepts. Please be assured that your comments have been share with the Food and Beverage Manager to analyze it.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and be able to change any negative perception, demonstrating you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Best regards,

Minneapolis
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This place was beautiful & staff was friendly but if you dont call a week prior to arriving , you will NEVER get to eat at one of the "nice" restaurants. Its a 1st come basis & they fill up FAST! We only got to eat at one place in the 5 days there, & it was at 8pm! Kids were tired. We were stuck eating at buffett every night the same crap. Beach is a LONG walk from rooms & rooms are far from check in. Plan on doing a TON OF WALKING!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Fonda S
Dear Fonda,

We sincerely regret that in you experience this unfortunate situation with the dinner reservation. Please let me inform you that the a la carte restaurants, due to internal policies and operational reasons, are subject to availability and that`s why it needs reservation. Also, we have available the shuttle service for easier mobility of our guests around the complex.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in any of our hotels.

Regards from Punta Cana,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This was our second time at this resort .. The first time it was great .. The only problem was the language barrier.. However this time we were really disappointed.. The communication was still the same.. Most of the staff were not able to communicate in English.. The restaurants were all booked and we could hardly get a reservation .. They had this Caribbean show on Friday which we had to purchase the tickets and the show was suppose to start at 8:00 and we waited an hr. And the show did not stArt so we left.. Now the worse part of the vacation was my daughter got injured on our first day of our arrival.. They had these glass tables in all the corridors and most of the corners were chipped, obviously safety is not a concern at this resort, anyhow she hit her head and ended up with a cut in the back of her head, we went to see the doctor at the resort and she was really good and contacted guest services to let them know of the incident and made arrangements to send her to hospital to have her checked and get stitches.. The hospital experience was bad as no one was able to speak English luckily we had the gentleman from the guest services with us who was translating for us... So this incident ruined our vacation as my daughter was not allowed to go to the beach .. Overall it was disappointing trip.. The only good thing I can say was the doctor was really good and the gentleman (Pedro) from guest services was also very helpful..,the resort really need to look into safety as this us a family resort and their are lots if kids around!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Darya1973
Dear Darya,

Our sincerest apologies for what has happened to your daughter during your stay. Please rest assured that we will take measures to make sure this incident does not happen again to anyone. As you are one of our repeater guests your opinion is very important to us and whenever our special clients feel they are not receiving the treatment they are entitled to, we try to make our best effort to change that perception.

We are really sorry to hear that you were disappointed in this second stay with us. You can be sure that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guests’ needs and expectations.

Always at your disposal,

Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!