Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$384
US$352
Excellence Resorts
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$530
US$516
Hotels.com
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$346
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$160
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$259
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$478
US$401
US$261
US$255
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$263
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$302
US$791
TripAdvisor
7,473 results
All reviewsdon pablojazmin buffetgarden grilla la carte restaurantsprivilege clubscented pillowsbutler servicelobby bargala nightother resortsguest servicesel pescadorthomas cookle gourmetemailed the hoteldominican republicambar section
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Really enjoyed our 4th stay at the Gran Bahia and especially in Esmeralda. A special thanks to Victor the butler who was incredible. If you take care of your butler he'll take good care of you.
Also great service from Ismel and Juan-Luis in the restaurants but all servers were great.
My 4th time here and I will return again some day.

Room Tip: If you are in Esmeralda any room is good and close , maybe better on 2nd or 3nd floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dan44944
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Dan,

Thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff, especially Victor and Juan Luis, who will be very happy to learn that they were able to contribute in creating a great vacation with your friends.

I would like to welcome you at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda for fifth time to experience again the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My family and I spent a week at the Bahia Principe Esmerelda at the end of March and we had a really nice time! This trip was our first to the Dominican Republic and we were looking for a nice resort for a family vacation that included ours (3) and my sister’s family (5).

The Esmerelda is one resort on the larger Bahia Principe property. A major plus for the Esmerelda is that it is smaller and compact – everything is really easy to get to. The other hotels on the property are HUGE in comparison. From our room in Building 91 at the Esmerelda, we could literally get to everything in under 2 minutes (lobby, pool, restaurants, beach). The tram system is handy if you do want to go to other areas of the property – restaurants at the other hotels, the water park etc.

Our room was nice, not the nicest I’ve stayed in, but still nice. We had requested a room with two beds, but only got a room with a King bed and couch. It wasn’t what we had asked for, but it was ok – we travelled with our 7-yr old and the housekeeping staff made the couch up into a bed for her. The furniture was a little beat up and the room certainly broken in – but everything was functional and clean. We had housekeeping service early in the day each day and everything was always re-stocked. Word of caution – the beds are HARD. My husband couldn’t take it after two nights and slept on the couch for the bulk of our trip. Our room was on the first floor – and faced the service road at the back of the resort, but I did not find it noisy at all. We did not hear anything from the rooms around us, and the patio doors completely blocked any outside noise.

We didn’t have any issues with protecting our belongings, but my sister had some money stolen from her safe during our stay. The amount stolen was just a portion of the cash they had in their safe – so that they wouldn’t immediately notice it being gone. All you can do is be as vigilant as possible with your belongings – keep everything (even medications and electronics) locked in the safe when you are not in the room, keep your patio/balcony door locked and make sure your room door is completely closed when you go out.

We ate breakfast and the majority of our dinners at the Jasmin buffet. I found the selection and quality of food good. There was always enough to choose from to accommodate the variety of tastes in our group (4 adults, 4 children). The kids particularly chocolate fountain dessert bar! The snack bar next to the beach was just great for lunch! The open-air environment was really enjoyable, we could just go in our swimsuits and cover-ups.

The service in any of the restaurants was just so-so. In a lot of cases we would be seated at tables that weren’t entirely set – something was always missing and getting someone’s attention to bring what was needed was difficult. My impression of the staff was that they were polite, but un-interested – everyone was nice, but no one went out of their way to take care of us. Very different from my experiences in Mexico.

We tried the Bella Italia a la carte at the Esmerelda - and I wouldn’t recommend it. The menu was very limited and the food wasn’t very good at all. We didn’t even stay for the dessert course – we just went to the Jasmin. I would recommend the Maiko restaurant on the Bavaro resort – we had a great meal there. Everyone really enjoyed it! My sister e-mailed the resort with requests for a la carte reservations the week before we arrived, and we had no trouble getting booked.

We loved the main pool at the Esmerelda – it has a beach entry, which was perfect for the kids (ranging in age from 1-7). We never had difficulty getting chairs by the pool – but we were shamelessly ‘reserving’ spots for ourselves each day by taking our pool stuff and putting it on our chairs on our way to breakfast. The hotel doesn’t want you ‘reserving’ chairs overnight – but no one seemed to have any issue with staking out spots in the morning.

The beach is lovely – clean and the sand is soft. The beach is crowded though – a lot more people than I’m used to from trips to the Mayan Riviera.

Overall an enjoyable trip - we had the family vacation we were hoping for. The resort is certainly nice, but between the lower level of service (than I'm used to) and someone in our party being robbed - I can only give this a Very Good review.

Room Tip: Building 91 is great - very close to the main pool & lobby
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LKSebastian
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We feel good to know you had a lovely first time in Dominican Republic with your family.

I apologize for some inconveniences that you and your family have experienced and if you felt you did not received the service you deserve for some staff.

I would like to invite you once again in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

we had a great experience thanks to all the staff and most of all Richard Morellis and Ricki this hotel is a great place the staff and the food are both great..The pools are all great and it is very close to the ocean.the grounds and the rooms are very very clean

Room Tip: rooms in the 90111 are closest ones to the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Terry M
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Terry,

First of all thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your holiday destination in Punta Cana. We feel proud to read that you enjoyed a great vacation with us.

We hope to cater you once again in this tropical paradise!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I, along with our 10-year-old daughter, recently spent a week at the Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda in Punta Cana. We have been to several all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Cuba, The Bahamas, and Saint Martin, and I must say, this resort outranks them all.

Everything about this resort is just right. It's a short 30 minute drive from the airport. It's located on the best beach we've ever seen. The hotel itself is modern and exceptionally clean. This hotel is, by far, the cleanest we've ever stayed at. The food is great. The service is fantastic. And the staff are both friendly and professional.

If you're thinking about going to Punta Cana, you should seriously consider choosing this hotel. Finally, a hotel where you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair on the beach. There are plenty of chairs at this resort, most of which are located underneath much appreciated palapas. I took a long walk along the beach and was surprised to see that many of the neighbouring hotels not only lacked sufficient chairs for their guests, but they also failed to provide any shade whatsoever for the chairs they did provide. This is our first time going to a resort and not having to worry about the beach chair thing. Thank you to the management of Luxury Bahia for realizing the importance of providing a plenitude of chairs and shade for their guests. Not having to worry about securing beach chairs really does make you trip that much more enjoyable.

As other guests have noted, the one fault this hotel does have is its check-in process. When you arrive at the hotel, there is very little communication, and you're simply told to take a seat in a nearby lobby area. We have no problem if our room isn't ready upon our arrival, but please tell us that so we don't just sit there not knowing what is going on.

Apart from the check-in process, this hotel really is superb. Don't let your first impression of this hotel (the check-in) fool you. Once you actually get checked in, you'll see this hotel for what it really is: an exceptionally well-run resort whose service and cleanliness is second to none. There's a reason why so many of the guests at this hotel are repeat customers. After many years of plying the waters of the Caribbean Sea, we've finally found our home. See you next year Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room that doesn't adjoin another room. The walls are thin, and the adjoining door even thinner. You can really hear your neighbours if you are in an adjoining room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Andrew M

Dear Andrew,

Our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda family is very happy to hear that you spent an excellent week, not only because of our superb service, but also because of the best beach in the area and the amount of chairs provide to our guests. We pride ourselves to see that you finally found your second home in the Caribbean; Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda.

Receive cordial greetings from the Dominican Republic!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

When I attributed was unwell but what better place than the lovely Esmeralda !!! Food was great best rib eye steak at the Garden Grill. Loved the beaches walked for miles!! One day wasn't feeling the best and decided to take a great bath in the jacuzzi tub and to my surprise Victor had a surprise waiting for me in my room. My bath tub filled with flowers all around nice and hot. He will totally never know how much I appreciated his kind gesture as he did not know I was feelin unwell and it was just what I needed!!! The stay was wonderful and look forward to coming back again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jojo2134
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear client,

I do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to your butler Victor.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda and you were very satisfy with your stay and you enjoyed the surprise provided by Victor.

Looking forward to seeing you soon and provide you another wonderful stay!!!