“A Rocky Start that ended Beautifully”

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #29 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Miami, Florida
“A Rocky Start that ended Beautifully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My family and I recently returned from the Esmeralda. When we arrived, at 3:00 pm, our room was not ready. They invited us to eat at "El Snack" by the beach. That was fine because we were starving! It was an open air buffet style restaurant. As you walk in the waiters are immediately ready to please and serve. I had a delicious Sangria and my husband did as well. The food was pretty good. It was right by the beach and it was a very relaxing hour or so. I am the type of person that needs to get acclimated to my surroundings and it is very difficult for me to relax until I do so, but everyone was so helpful, I did not feel that way.

Well, as we finished our meal and I made reservations for our dinners at a couple of the a la carte restaurants, we were taken to our room. When we walked in, the first thing that I experienced was an awful musty smell and only one bed! I told the young lady Liberika that we are four, how could we have one bed and I believe there was like a very small day bed couch with an extremely hard mattress. I was extremely stressed out and I really felt that I made a wrong decision staying at the Esmeralda. They said that they were going to bring us another bed. A couple of hours passed and nothing was done. I went to the lobby to talk to someone and they said that if a room becomes available the next day they would move us and that someone was on the way with a bed. A few minutes later, a cot arrives! I could not believe that I was staying at a resort with good reviews, and one of my children were going to have to sleep on a cot?! I was so disappointed and upset. Well, as a family we decided to be positive and try to enjoy our well deserved vacation. We started walking towards our dinner at the buffet at the main lobby, and I spot the young lady Liberika. She flags us down and told us she got a room for us with two beds! I felt like grabbing her and hugging her. She said that if we did not mind moving now and of course I said "Let's go". We let her know how much we truly appreciated her efforts. The room was on the second floor. When we walked in, there was not a musty smell AND WE ACTUALLY HAD TWO BEDS!!! At that movement I felt like stress was lifted off of me. It was a nice room and it was spacious. I am so grateful for Liberika's help. I really felt that she helped us and made our vacation enjoyable.

After we settled in, we went to the buffet restaurant by the back pool. I was very impressed with the selection and quality of the food. We ate outdoors because there was a nice breeze. The service that day was also exceptional.

The next day, we woke up and had breakfast at the buffet restaurant found at the main lobby and it was also very good. Such a wide variety of breakfast/brunch items. I truly enjoyed the buffets at Esmeralda. I did not get bored of the food and looked forward to eating there. I only made reservations at two other restaurants because we were satisfied with the buffets and they were located very close to us. After breakfast we were taken to a time share type presentation. We were not interested so I did feel like we lost some time there. Next time, we will just say no.

The beach was beautiful! We were out there for hours. The sand is very soft and does not really get hot when you walk on it. We always found beach chairs, but hardly used them since we enjoyed every moment in the water and playing with the kids on the sand. We went to the beach everyday throughout our stay and were never disappointed. We always found lounge chairs, the weather everyday was sunny with a nice breeze, and the ocean water was refreshing and was very clear. Now, here is a tip! Since there is a nice breeze you don't really feel the sun as much. Take breaks from the sun and sit under one of the many tikis they have available! We wore sunscreen and would reapply, but still got burned. It was just so difficult to not be out there, it was beautiful.

For lunch, we always ate at what they call, "El Snack". Since it was outdoors right by the beach it was extremely convenient and could go in wearing our damp beach wear. I believe Angel would usually take care of us very well. He would always refill our drinks and had a friendly demenor each day.

That evening, we had issues with our toilet. The staff came up twice to try to fix it but it would not flush. They moved us once again. The room we moved to was downstairs, but also very nice. We made sure that the toilet was working and that we had two beds! ;) Liberika helped us once again.. What a hard working and efficient young lady she was. I am truly impressed by her effort.

During the rest of our stay we had dinner at the Barbecue grill at the Bavaro hotel. The steak there was delicious and tender. We also ate at the Italian restaurant located at the Esmeralda. The servers there Jorge and Willy did an outstanding job serving us. During the rest of our stay we had dinner at the buffets which were just convenient and very good.

The pools were nice as well, but the one closest to the beach was too warm for my taste. The one furthest from the beach was much cooler and less crowded. They both had bars that you could swim up to. Very nice. The bartenders were always smiling and efficient trying to get everyone their drinks.

Overall, we had an amazing vacation. I would have given the Esmeralda five stars if the issues with the rooms did not occur. The issues were very inconvenient and stressful. I think when people make reservations and they see that there are four people they should just automatically give them two beds unless requested otherwise. What made our vacation great was the service, the weather, the food, and the beaches. It is a beautiful hotel in an amazing location. I would probably go back if I was guaranteed that there would be no issues with our room when we checked in. Like I shared before, the beginning was not so pleasant, but the rest of the vacation to the very end was fantastic. I want to thank Liberika again for helping us out! You helped us out and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was enjoyable! Thank you!!!

3 Thank Jlovestotravel2014
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear client,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered at the beginning of your stay, but thanks to the hard and great work made by Liberika that changed your perception, and restored your faith in Esmeralda.

Thank you for your comment and it is great to know that you had an amazing vacation and you enjoyed the food you tasted.

Looking forward to seeing you in a few months! Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,502)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Beautiful Hotel, Brilliant staff, Stunning Beach and good food it was just the little things that never quite made it a 5* like a small chip on a coffee cup non matching wine glasses on the table the 1hr limit on the hotel wifi per day and not enough high chairs as i said just the small things but nothing that made our stay uncomfortable.

Arriving at Punta Cana it's open air and very hot and stuffy the fans make no difference and you waiting in a very long line to get into the country my advice is if you can buy a little hand held fan then do it as it's that hot the sweat was dripping off myself and my husband i had to strip my daughter off to her vest it was very uncomfortable.

Check in was painless took about 20 mins then we were good to go we never got our welcome drink for some reason but other busses that came in did. Our bags we're taken straight to our room by the bellboys and also taken back to the lobby on our departure only advice on this is upon arrival and departing the hotel i think they should have water there for the guests as it is very hot and if theres no breeze then your melting.

The hotel is very beautiful and big it's about a 20 min round trip if your walking but theres a shuttle type bus that always runs up and down if you don't like or can't walk the grounds are very clean as stated in other reviews there staff are always about cleaning something with a smile on there face and a hello as you go past.

The waiting staff are brilliant especially with kids my daughter is coming on 2 and they were amazing with her aways talking to her and playing peek a boo with her.

Our room was big and clean not immaculate but clean enough as we never really spent a lot of time in there the mini bar was a hit or a miss we never got everything every day to the point my husband complained and it's not like us at all we normally just get on with it the maid service was ignored as well as we requested our room be cleaned between 10am and 2pm i think that was done twice in out entire stay all the rest of the time it was nearly 3pm we always tipped our maid as it's not always the same person.

The butler our butler was brilliant as well we made reservations before we went all were met apart from the note added that our anniversary was on july 4th and we would like a nice meal for that so we said to the butler and he got us the reservation we requested even tho it was fully booked we were also presented with a anniversary cake and all the waiting staff singing round out table it truly was an amazing night.

The restaurants we're really good i wasn't keen on the french the restaurant it's self was beautiful but the food was below standard in my opinion this was also the only restaurant that enforced the long trousers for men all the rest you could wear what you wanted which was a bit of a pain when you've made the effort but no one else has makes you feel like a right idiot lol the Japanese restaurant with the chef cooking in front of you is brilliant but be warned it's the only restaurant without a kids menu.

The buffet was pretty good always something there for everyone I can be pretty fussy but i always found something i liked so never went hungry there muffins at breakfast were amazing same with the corn bread. It can be feeding time at the zoo sometimes some folk have absolutely no manners at all one old lady elbowed me out the way for no reason as there was plenty of everything she was just plane rude. The other thing with the buffet restaurant is theres not enough high chairs they need double the amount they have my daughter had to sit in her pram a couple of times wasn't a big hassle but really shouldn't be happening at a 5* resort.

The pools were immaculate the kids pool was sometimes really hot like a bath just depending on the weather but really good the only problem i had with it was folk putting there towels down and not seeing them all day or folk sunbathing there that don't have kids found that a bit strange as there were plenty other places to sunbath. We went to the water park a couple of times with the we one she loved it but it can get very busy especially with older kids they don't have any consideration for the little ones my advice on this would be to have set times for different age groups as it can become a bit mental and the we kids can become scared and it can make for an unpleasant experience. If you do go there with your small kids be careful on the bottom 2 steps coming down from the slides there very slippy.

The beach omg the beach well it was just simply stunning white coral sand and crystal clear blue water absolutely amazing at the Esmarelda they have there own section of the beach same as the amber but tbh they don't really enforce it it's the same with the pools they will only enforce it if the folk from the Bavaro/Punta Cana go to the bar they will refuse them as we get all the premium alcohol and they get the local stuff the towel game id played on the beach from stupid o'clock in the morning but you can still get a chair nearer the back the hotel does have signs up but no one takes any notice to them this never bothered me as i had the we one with me but i'm sure if she wasn't there then i would have been pretty annoyed about it.

We went to the market down the beach it was about 30 min walk you can see it in the distance if you turn right when on the beach was well worth the walk but you do have to haggle with them always start off with less than half of what they offer it to you and stick to your guns and they will be more than likely to give it to you the same with the venders in the complex all the shops are set prices but the stalls you can negotiate with.

Privilege club if you have a large family and go away every year then i would suggest listening to them but if your only away once every 2-3 years and your a family of 3 then it's not worth it they say it taken an hr we were there for 4hrs it all starts when you get a leaflet under your door saying you have won something take it to the privilege club desk and find out it will be a watch a rubber yellow one at that nothing fancy so don't fall into the trap same as when they offer you a necklace with there logo if your not interested just say no thanks and keep walking.

Excursions we never done any as we had our daughter with us and she was ether to small or not old enough so can't comment but the banana boat and parasailing looked amazing and the folk that were doing it looked like they were really enjoying it.

Tips are not mandatory or expected but we tipped when we felt it was worth it.

Maid 1-2 dollars a day
Restaurant 5-10 depending on service
Buffet staff 2-5 dollars
Bar staff 1-2 dollars
Bellboys 2 dollars each
Butler 5 dollars

So this was my experience at the resort so all in all it was an amazing time we really enjoyed it and would recommend it to our family and friends.
We stayed in building 91 only 2 mins from the beach and 30 seconds from the pool.

Room Tip: any of the rooms at the Esmarelda there all next to the beach and pools building 90 and 91 are the c...
3 Thank Princess Keira'... M
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Keira,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. It is wonderful to know that everything was as expected and your experience was amazing with us. Thank you for your detailed review and give information of the Resort to others in TripAdvisor, and for mention all the positives aspects you find worth it.

Thank you so much for your time visiting my beautiful country and spend your vacation in this paradise.

I wish to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Always at your disposal,

North Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here in June with a group of friends and we were all pleased with the rooms we were allocated (97112, 97113, 97114 & 97115). The rooms are large, brightly decorated and kept very clean by the maid each day, the air con worked well. Next time I think I would choose to come here February or March as the humidity would be less. The grounds and pool areas are well kept and clean, the food was excellent with a good selection. The beach area is good and close by and again kept clean, the beach snack bar was also very good.
We were also very pleased with our Butler Yuleyda, she helped to make our holiday extra special, she provided us with scented pillows on a night, and if we needed anything she was always happy to sort it out . My husband and I were celebrating our Pearl Wedding Anniversary during our stay and while we were out that day our friends had asked Yuleyda to decorate our room, Yuleyda and I think the maid had worked hard while we were out they had made heart shapes with the towels, run a warm bubble bath sprinkled with petals, lit candles and put up the banners and balloons my friends had brought with them, she also arranged a cake and wine for us, so a big thank you for helping to make the day special. Overall this was an excellent hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Bev31Jeff04
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection for your wedding anniversary destination. We feel proud to read that we have provided you unforgettable days and absolutely amazing celebration.

Thank you for acknowledging your butler Yuleida, who made everything special in your room to celebrate your special day and it is great to know you liked so much.

Looking forward to seeing you very soon! Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the first fortnight in July and loved it. Once we'd made it through the chaotic airport it was about a 30 min transfer to the main hotel. We were then moved to a trolley to get to the Esmeralda part. The lobby area is very impressive and spacious and this theme continues through all the restaurants, pool areas and bedrooms.
I had emailed ahead and got a room with a pool view on the top floor of building 91, exactly as requested. It was perflectly located in the complex and it even had a sea view. The room was spacious and comfortable with the maid visiting a couple of times each day with clean towels, linens and stock for the fridge. Like the rest of the hotel the bedroom was kept beautifully clean.
I had also requested reservations at many of the a la carte restaurants, only dining at the buffet twice during our stay. The food was fantastic everywhere we ate and the waiters were very attentive.
The beach was stunning and, like the pools, there were always loungers and shades available. There was lots to do on the beach and by the pool if you felt like it and the entertainment team did a good job.
I would definitely recommend this hotel but do pay the little bit extra to go to the Esmeralda rather than one of the other parts of the complex, it's more than worth it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank IrishRuth
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Irish,

It is wonderful to read that we provided you an amazing experience and you were impressive with the facilities we provide, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

It is good to know that we were able to please you with your request exactly how you expected. Thank you for recommend us as a truly “Luxury” by name.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Fox River Grove, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were in room #95201, in June. There were cockroaches crawling in the all over the room. I feel so horrible about it, because I have been to Punta Cana before and have not experienced anything like it. I have booked my vacation through apple, and think that they should do a better job rating hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank ANDZELIKA B
Dear client,

I would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for this situation you experienced during your stay at our hotel.

Due to our tropical climate and the landscaping that surrounds the Hotel, and taking into consideration that we are located in a protected mangrove area, the presence of certain species coming from the exterior may not be avoidable at all times, it´s should not be an excuse and I assured you that we have an strict daily program of fumigation.

Best regards,

oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The grounds are immaculate and the staff are mostly very friendly. Close proximity to the beach and everything you need is right here at the resort. My complaints: the AC wasnt that great in our room - some nights were pretty uncomfortable. The swimming pools were warm- not cool and refreshing. The adults only pool was like a warm bath- not what i would enjoy on a hot sunny day. We stayed on the beach everyday, the water there was perfect.
The food was good, breakfast had too much to try it all and the fruit and juices were so fresh! Portofino was my favorite of all of the a la carte restarants.
If you come, bring lots of small bills for tipping, getting change for either American $$ or DR pesos was always hit and miss.
Overall, we had a fabulous time - tell Maximo at the Lobby Bar to make you one of his *caipirinha* cocktails!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheryl777
Dear Cheryl,

We really appreciate your review. It is a great compliment to know that you found our staff was very friendly, the food was good and the grounds immaculate.

It is wonderful that you liked the caipirinha made by Maximo at the Lobby bar. Please be assured that it will be a pleasure to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

All in all, it is a great resort and we had a wonderful stay. The only reason I did not rate this resort a 5 star was due to our restaurant experience.

Beach - The beach is the best part of the property, it has a very easy access and well maintained. We loved hanging around the beach.
Pool - There are 2 pools with attached bar, and were maintained well all the time
Rooms - The rooms are very spacious with a mini fridge stocked daily which is included.
Service - The staff were very polite and attentive all through the resort

Restaurants - there are about 10 a la carte restaurants and they need reservations, the problem we had was most them were reserved for a week out and we couldn't go to more than 2 of them. And looks like the only way to reserve one was in person at the travel concierge's desk and ~8pm as their reservations systems shuts down after that. It would

The 2 buffet restaurants Jasmine and the other one were Good to OK, but we found the menu very repetitive between lunch and dinner and also day to day. The cafe was probably the best as it had a good ocean side view.

Beware of the Bahia Principe Privilege Club sales guys walking around the resort trying to sign you up for a "30 min" sales presentation and offering gifts for your time..it was more like 2hrs and since they have it in the morning only it ate up my whole morning/early afternoon. The whole Bahia Principe Privilege Club is like a hotel time share scheme....try to ask more questions before you sign up for anything.

Also, free wifi available only in the lobby and only for one hour a day. Then you have to pay after that hour or wait a full 24 hrs before logging back on for free. It was not a major inconvenience since it was good to disconnect for a change.

1 Thank Senthil S
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Senthil,

We feel proud to read that you had a wonderful stay in this great Resort.
We will be delighted to cater you once again in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda to enjoy the best beach, polite service and spacious rooms.

Thank you for visiting us and preferring Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!!!!

Best regards,