“Great hotel, service, food, drinks - I will be back”

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #29 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, service, food, drinks - I will be back”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

In summary I can say that by most criteria’s this was the best hotel we ever been to (see my other reviews). I would go there without any hesitation and I have no doubts we will be back to this hotel soon.

Room
One week before vacation start I send email with my room request. I asked for quiet room close to the beach. I got exactly that – room was in building 90 with very nice pool view and it was quiet. Sound isolation between rooms was decent – our neighbors had kid that was talking loudly and we could hear them but not enough to affect our sleep. Room was large and everything worked perfectly – for example air conditioning was quietest out of all hotels we stayed at. We asked our room to be cleaned early in the morning and this exactly what happened.

One week before vacation start I send email requesting 6 different a la carte reservations. When we arrived our butler brought us envelope with printed out reservations. This was great time savings. If you think in other hotels you often have to wait 10-15 min each morning to make reservation, so you really would be wasting like 70-100min of your vacation prime time. So I strongly believe that making reservations by email is the way to go and is very much appreciated.
I would say that food at this hotel was the best out of all hotels we have been to. There was smoked salmon, red/black caviar (tiny size) for almost every meal. All fruit quality was extremely good. During our stay hotel was at full capacity, but during every meal restaurants/buffet was not that busy. That was very nice. I believe this is because hotel 2 buffet restaurants available with exactly same food. There were never lines for omelets or pasta. What surprised me the most – how good service was at buffet. At most other hotels we were, during peak times servers were too busy to help you. But here at any time absolute majority of servers were very attentive. At the end we used just 3 a la carte reservations and cancelled other ones. Out of a la carte’s we liked “La Gourmet” restaurant the most.

Beach
This hotel has beautiful beach but it is small. It was very crowded. This would be one small negative about this hotel. By my standard first row or second row palapas are very good, third row maybe acceptable and after that they are just too far from the water. This did not affect us much - I would get palapa every morning in the first row, except 1 day in second row. But for that I had to sacrifice my sleep time. During most days first row of palapas are reserved around 6am. On Saturday I came to beach at 5:45am and all palapas on first row were already taken! I got good palapa in the second row and was happy with our location. Last few days I noticed that people started to reserve palapas from the night before – I do not believe it is fair, but I saw this happening. I wish security would clear reserved palapas every morning around 5am.
So I notice that most days first row of palapas is gone by 6:10am, then second row by 7am or earlier and then other rows start to fill up quickly. I believe that on most days you can still find palapas in the last rows.
I do not understand why hotel administration decided to give best part of the beach to volleyball area. If they would move that behind “Privilege Club” area, there would be much more space for beach lovers. This is simple fix, I hope administration will do that for our future visits.

Internet
We got paid internet for week – we paid 49US$. To be honest it was pain because you could use just one device at the time using that internet connection. You had to disconnect from one device to use it on other device. At first I did not think it is going to be a big deal, but it was very inconvenient. Next time I’ll get internet from other companies that everybody talks in the forums – just because with other companies you can use up to 5 devices. Their internet provider (Kubi) should change that and if they charge 50US$ per week, they should be allowing up to 3 devices at the very least. We also used free internet in the lobby (1hr per day) and speed was acceptable for browsing.

Privilege Club
Next day after arrival we go call telling us that we can come by for free gift, but we said “Not interested” and that was it. I was surprised that nobody even talked to us when we were walking by. So they are not an issue – unless of course you want this to be an issue. We watch them few evenings and they do good job in using people greed against them. We saw them telling people that presentation takes just 20min – and then you get this trip, this t-shirt, etc.. Anyway – if you will say not interested – that is going to be it.

Entertainment
Wednesday night there was pool party. Some other nights there was nice singer close to lobby bar. Issue with this hotel – there is no info what is going to happen that night and nobody at reception knows that. I would suggest that hotel post simple page printout on what is going to happen in the lobby or around the pool that night – that would be very helpful. And of course – there were nightly shows at the Punta Cana Tropicana Theater – info about these shows was available.

Overall
This was amazing hotel with best service, best food and best drinks we ever been to- and we visited many hotels. I will be back to this hotel in the future and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anybody. Clearly management of this hotel knows what is important during vacation and have their staff trained very well. Thank you Esmeralda staff for amazing vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Vidas M
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear client,

I want to thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion, I feel so happy to read this is the best hotel you´ve had. It’s my sincere wish to welcome you in the future in any of our hotels to show you our commitment to excellence.

Thank you so much for your review and for telling others that we have the best food, service and drinks that you have had.

It will be a pleasure to have you once again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, the best hotel in Punta Cana.

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,495)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Woodbridge
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our fourth visit to this resort and yes, we were not disappointed. We travelled with our two children, 4 year old and a 10 month old, and our children's grandparents. Check-in was ok. Resort has not changed much since pur last visit and we did enjoy the bouncy water slide in the family pool twice as the water slide only appears once a week on Thursdays. We went to a couple of a la carte's without reservations and staff were very accommodating. Our 4.5 year old really enjoyed the kids shows and received 4 different medals that she was very proud of. Our 10 month old really took to the ocean and sand as well as the sun. We are pretty easygoing and did not encounter any issues. Laundry service was great and little bit of tipping goes a long way. have a great time at this resort. Free wifi is available in lobby. Waterpark for kids is also included in the stay however closer to the weekends it gets very busy with locals who are differently mannered then European and North American Children. No problem with chairs on the beach or the pool.

Room Tip: Building 90 in the closest to the beach however buildings are semi-connected.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank SophieAleksNick2012
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Sophie,

I greatly appreciate that you have chosen our chain for your fourth visit. Please be assured that it a great compliment to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities, and know that you loved us and you will go back with your family in a heartbeat!!!

Thank you for your loyalty to our chain and always will be a pleasure that you visit us.

We are always waiting for your presence!!!!

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from 6 days at the Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. Had a wonderful stay. The staff was excellent!! Charlie at the front desk remembered us all week long and always stopped to engage us in conversation. JuanLuis in the snack bar/ restaurant was awesome. Only a few minor things that could be improved. Should be free wifi in all of the rooms. Also, there should be computers available to print boarding passes. Food was OK. Specialty restaurants were good.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Do not fall for the "time share" presentations. They try to suck you in. Make your reserv...
2 Thank momofmombo
Dear Guest,

All our team working will be motivated with such wonderful comments and to know that his effort and dedication is so well appreciated, especially Charlie and Juan Luis. Thank you so much for your suggestions that help us to improve those services.

I wish to see you back tomorrow in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda and provide you another fabulous time in Punta Cana.

Hugs for you,

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Myself and husband stayed here from 5th-19th July for our honeymoon. I've kept the review balances, but we would never return to the Esmerelda, it just isn't for us.

We went through Thomas Cook and have registered a separate complaint with them, over their rep/service and losing our luggage on the way home. The airport is chaos. If you are English, you'll be tearing your hair out at the non existent queuing system. This didn't seem to bother the Americans, who generally pushed their way through..

First impressions- the hotel is not near anything- there is nothing in Punta Cana other than a chemist, literally. This is the main reason the holiday isn't for us- because unless you spend $75-$500 per couple on excursions daily, you are stuck in the resort- and we aren't the type that can spend all day every day by the pool or on the beach.

The hotel is exceptionally clean, you'll find no rubbish or dirt anywhere, and the staff are up at first light to tend the gardens etc.
we emailed ahead to ask for a room in 91, on a higher floor for our honeymoon, and our reservations for restaurants- we were told this would be given in our welcome pack.
Check in- painless, gathered us together (a coach load from Thomas Cook) with a cold drink.
We were shown to our room , in block 91- on the ground floor facing the hotels mini train system. A note to say congratulations on your honeymoon. This was not good, we like to sit on the balcony before going to dinner/getting ready
Several lightbulb also didn't work.
We went to reception where another Scottish couple with a toddler were asking to move to a higher floor- they were offered a king room top floor of 91, which they declined because of the child. When we got served, this room wasn't an option, and we were told to come back later.
Charlie, then served us and around 10pm we were moved to top floor in block 95. We had to move our own (heavy) bags at this point, completely shattered to 95- it has an awful damp smell in the corridors. The room hadn't even been cleaned from the last guests- half let down balloons on the bed, half empty shower gels in the bathroom, broken air con and a broken toilet- which we reported.
At 5am the next morning I emailed reception, upset, and tired as the toilet (dripping) had kept me up
After a day out, we received a note to say we had been moved again, to the first floor in 91- our cases were moved, and the room had been decorated (albeit, anniversary, but close enough). Thankyou to Charlie.

Our Thomas Cook rep never turned up so we had to book our excursions separately ourselves.
We were hounded by the timeshare sellers- I didn't mind wasting an hour of their time because we found them to be rude and pushy- at one point saying 'we've heard about you English, you have no intention of buying'- correct- who has $5000 to give them upfront. Anyway it worked in our favour as we got a free helicopter ride out of it. The ride was 10 minutes, and usually charged at $90pp- if you're paying for it, it isn't worth it, but if you can get it free pretending to be interested In the privilege club for an hour, go for it.

Rooms- great, if you get one you want- 91116 was lovely. The fridge restocked daily cleaned, and the first two days fancy towels and flowers- stopped when no tip left- but didn't bother us. Victor introduced himself as our butler and we saw him around a couple of times, friendly and polite. Although we didn't need him to run a bath etc (is it really that hard to turn on a tap, for all those that do order it..)
Pillows- we ordered them twice just because we could, but nothing wrong with the normal pillows.

Beach- visited once In the day it's nice, if you like to lounge on the beach (we don't). The snack bar by the beach is great for lunch, the fajitas are great, and the staff (all of them) are fantastic- really friendly, and quick- without having to waive $$ at them
Pools- quite busy, but fine if you like them- you do need to reserve your spot if you want to sit their for the day (we didn't) but there's people reserving them, that don't even sit there
There's a little (allegedly adults only) jacuzzi pool, but there's constantly kids streaming through it using it as a short cut

Food- we ate at Don Pablo (food nice, waiters nice), takara (Danny, is fantastic, really lovely) nice food, bella Italia (food not so good, didn't go back) but nice staff, garden grill (steak amazing, and el pescador- steak not edible and streaming with kids literally running about (at 8.30)
Jasmin- great if you get their early for breakfast/dinner you can get your food, without literally being pushed (3 times, by American kids) out of the way/screaming kids- I know it's for families, but seriously some of the behaviours is awful, it really would help having a kids buffet section, so that adults can get their food, without it being mauled first by kids whose parents let them run wild (there is the Ambar of course, but it isn't as nice)
The waiters in Jasmin are really really slow if you go any later than when it it first opens- there just isn't enough of them and unless you waive $$ at them! you'll be kept waiting

Bars- the main bar at the back of the lobby is fine if you go to the desk, but if you are seated, you'll be served the cheaper alcohol- and rarely will 2 drinks taste the same

At night, they have a bar outside, Justina is lovely, really sweet, always has a smile. But the rest of them, unless you pay $$ will walk past you- we were talking to a Scottish couple one evening, and they had tipped- their drinks orders were taken, yet the lady walked straight past us. Returned their drinks and walked off again, back to the bar where she continued talking.
Unless you tip here, you won't be served. Not happy about this. For the amount we paid, service should be included as standard, and good service then rewarded.

Entertainment- there isn't any, unless you go to the punta cana section.

Weather- very, very humid, it's like being in a greenhouse, you are hot and sticky constantly there's little breeze, and make sure you take plenty of sun cream as it's really expensive in the lobby shop
Wifi- $49 in the lobby shop, per week, but you do get 1 hour free, that's painfully slow- no good if you want to FaceTime your family
We also got sick (we don't drink much alcohol and stuck with just water in the day- we were never ill on days out of the hotel).

Excursions- we got the free helicopter ride which was good, being free
We did Manati park- if from England, avoid- doesn't comply whatsoever with animal welfare, eg hundreds of iguanas in one pen, fighting over a tray of food. Guiana pigs- a small pen, housing way over 300- I have never in my life seen Guiana pigs killing and eating each other- disgusting! Very, very pushy staff wanting you to buy overpriced bits of wood- I wouldn't go or recommend it
- Mini Cooper tours- fantastic, well worth the money, all day excursions, with lunch, stopping at altos de chevon, and a cigar factory- brilliant day
- Caribbean VIP tour-fantastic, again well worth the money, with nacho as the tour guide, you go into higuey, see a cathedral then have lunch on a boat where the film anaconda was filmed, and see a traditional Dominican house
- monkey land- really good, you can hold the monkeys as they are running free
- Polaris buggies visiting Macao beach and chocolate and cigar factory- not worth the $99pp, all off road and not as advertised

All the tours don't seem to have a fixed price, they generally start off extortionate but you can haggle them down. If you want to do a lot, you will need plenty of money

- overall with this hotel, I would say it's great if you want a beach/pool holiday- if you want to do a bit more/like to look around without paying a fortune, I wouldn't choose punta cana.
It's not 5* by UK standards
- If you want good service at the bars etc, you need to tip continuously
- book restaurants ahead, but actually turn up- some of our reservations were missing the second week and we tried booking on the Tuesday for Thursday and Friday- all fully booked expect don Pablo at 9pm- yet in all the restaurants they were never busy, so presumably people book and don't bother cancelling when they aren't going

Charlie, victor, Danny at takara, bella Italia staff,, Justina at the lobby and the greeters at the Jasmin, and all of the snack bar staff are brilliant

Room Tip: do not settle for a bad room- you are paying good money- dont let them stick you in anything other t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank xkat86x
Dear Guest,

I would like to highlight that our main interest is to assure our guests’ satisfaction and we would like to inform you that your observations have been treated with great interest. We sincerely regret the inconveniences or difficulties you have experienced.

I want to thank you for your extensive feedback, which helps us and lets us see the most important aspects we need to improve to achieve the total satisfaction of our customers.

Thanks for mentioning the friendly, brilliant and attentive staff you met here. It is an unfortunate news to us that you would not return to our hotel.

We will always at your disposal if you decide to come back.

Poland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for the third time in a row - 2011, 2013 and now 2014. And as the hotel and the surroundings are still nice the quality of the services is deteriorating. Everything is fine and everyone is smiling to you when you do not want anything from the Staff or the management. Already when we arrived we informed the reception that we will stay 1 day shorter than planned (we booked directly with the hotel). Despite this they charged us for the whole booking period claiming they will refund the outstanding amount on departure. We spent alost 1 hour on departure trying to get the refund - being asked to fill out plenty of forms and we almost missed our plane. Another thing - after few days of our stay we asked for a possible room change to the pool view. As it was possible we moved to a room which was frshly painted and we were not informed about this but we could not breathe there for the first 2 nights due to the intensive smell. But what was the worst - after the first night in the new room my husband woke up bitten by bed bugs, hundreds of bites were visible all over his body. When he went to the reception nobody belived him and nobody talked to him, the manager was not available. The only person who cared was the cleaning lady who almost fainted when she saw the bites. We manager to force the floor manager to change the matraces and the pillows but we never heard any apology and we have not been compensated (although I am sure that such hotel should respet its loyal travellers and should offer some kind of compensation) since such thing should not happen in the hotel called by themselves LUXURY.Anyhow - nice stay but this year really crowded and ... never change your room when it is OK and you are waking up without any bites :-)

4 Thank Rygle
Dear Rygle,

I would like to thank you for your comment and choosing us for third time, it is a shame that this time you left disappointed with our hotel but you find worth to mention the smiling and great staff.

In relation to your opinion about the bed bugs, let us state you that our rooms are subject to strict supervision. In fact, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning for that reason we are constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel. We follow insects control programs which are carried out continuously. Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts has as a consultant an international and well-known company named Cristal America, which on a frequent basis audits our hotels in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures.

I sincerely offer our apologies for the difficulties you have experienced in this trip and hope you can give us another opportunity as you are one of our repeat clients.

Best regards,

Stoney Creek, Ontario
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My 15 year old daughter and myself stayed from July 11-18/14. On arrival we were given a room with one bed, although we had requested 2 beds. We went to the lobby and Rosa was awesome, she was able to switch us to another room. Our maid was just ok, some days the fridge was stocked, others we had to call to request. Never felt our bathroom floor was swept. The shower leaked, I almost fell in the toilet stall as the wall was joined and it was wet. Toilet did plug a few times, but we called and someone was sent to fix. The buffets were really good. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Jorge in the restaurant was very kind and efficient. Did feel the staff needed to do more about the towel game on the chairs. We were out real early to get a lounger but found chairs had towels and never saw people occupy them for hours. This is unfair to people who need them, as the hotel was very busy when we were there. Found the pools did not need to be closed so early, it is still very hot at 6 pm, and there is no lifeguard so not sure why the pool closed so early. Overall have already recommended the hotel. Always mgmt. walking around asking guests how things were. Also met the director of the hotel on the last day and he was very kind.

3 Thank Sandi C
Dear Sandi,

For all of us it is delightful to learn that you spend a relaxing few weeks at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. I apologize for the difficulties you have experienced in the bathroom but at the end was fixed. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our friendly staff and also the management that was so kind with you.

Thank you for recommend us and hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to host you once again in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Esmeralda from June 26-July 3, 3014 with a group of 17 people. When we arrived we were attended to right away with a drink and bellboy and butler. Annie our butler was very friendly and granted our requests.

Pros
Beautiful rooms, very large and comfortable bedding, loved requesting from the pillow menu. We had a few problems with the air conditioner and room keys but they were attended too right away. Beautiful view of the pool and palm trees in room 94208.

The beach and the pools were beautiful, always lots of chairs and waiters available.

Food was great more than enough selection. I am a picky eater and usually get sick, I was fine the whole trip. We loved the 24hr buffet always fresh food. Our main waiter kenn was the best always telling us jokes and made our nights full of laughter!

We really enjoyed room service as we don't eat a lot for breakfast, and it was quite nice.
Annie our butler provided a romantic night for me and my hubby on the last night with candlelight, bubble bath, flowers and drinks!!! Big thanks to Annie and her kindness..

Cons
Not enough entertainment at the beach and pools. To quiet for my liking as we all enjoy to engage in activities. Only provided volleyball.
I would recommend all pools and the beach to have activities for all ages.

I went to all shows, Michael Jackson was amazing. Would like to see more costumes at the shows and interaction with the audiences.

Overall a great place to stay well worth the money. The people are very kind and attentive. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Fiona D
Dear Client,

It truly delights us to hear that the outstanding services make your vacations beautiful. I want to take the opportunity to thank you for such positive comments and for praising our great rooms, great selection of food, and your butler Annie. These types of posts are always a reason to keep working hard to go above and beyond our guest expectations.

Your observations about entertainment at the beach are taken in great consideration to analyze those points.

Receive cordial greetings from my beautiful country Dominican Republic!