“Hidden Jem - Beautiful & great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #31 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ontario
“Hidden Jem - Beautiful & great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

Moved over to Esmerelda from Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana (extremely busy, noisy & poor service). Our Transat rep was able to get us beautiful ajoining rooms. It was much smaller & exclusive. Christian at reception checked us in quickly and his english was great. The grounds were absolutely georgeous & only 4 months old. The butler Ramone Diaz was fantastic. He helped my husband organize & create a beautiful room with balloons & rose petals for my birthday. He made sure we were comfortable & happy with our stay. Beach was even better than the Myan Riveira!
There were lots of seats to choose from around the pool area, even in the heat of the afternoon. Snack bar & buffet were incredible. So many choices, constantly refreshed and changed. "Orlando" at the pool bar was always smiling and very friendly with both adults & the kids alike. He always made sure he helped out the little ones waiting too. Jose helped him out & was always smiling. All the staff at this resort was very quick & willing to help if needed and their english was very good. Main pool was very clean and access to the beachfront was just at the other end of the pool. Bathrooms in the resort area were always clean (which was nice because they were disgusting around the pool area at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana).
Maid staff were very nice & taught us some Spanish conversation.
Our first night we had to call security because there was a very drunk young woman yelling and swearing at 3:00am in the halls. They had her contained within 10 minutes!
The last day of our stay (that had been wonderful up to now)... there was a large wedding party (about 20 young people) that were so loud & obnoxious that many familes were frightened around the pool area. They were screaming, hooting, standing on the bar, wrestling & holding each other under the water around the pool swim up bar area. Their wedding coordinator had to apologize to everyone for their behaviour. The hotel staff tried to contain them, but they were very noisy. Our only complaint was that the manager said they were going to speak to them, but nothing was really done. We were glad we were going home the next day (felt sorry for those just starting their trip).
Honestly we were very happy at the Esmerelda and it was quiet until the crazy wedding party people arrived on our last day.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mcmom2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
cbs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

Superb accomodations, fod and hospitality. Differences in languages was a fun experience rather than a barrier. Found no significant complaint in any way. Enjoyed every single second while present. Only problem over indulged in food. Food display, choices, decor and atmosphere created by staff completed the recipe for this to happen.
A memorable trip! Will go back in a heart beat. Treasure our pics.
Submitted by Cora and Ray Rose, CBS, NL, Canada

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Otterburn Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Great service from the maid room, Marcellina.

Excellent food, and excellent service from the staff : Nelson, Jenny, Linny, Ramon, Manuel, Alexander, thank a lot everybody.

See you in one or two years from now.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

It was our second time in the Gran Bahia, this time we were upgraded to the Esmeralda section. Wow! Private pool and restaurants, luxurious rooms (though we didn't spend much time in it!) and excellent service. Everything was very clean and the food was excellent. The staff was helpful and friendly. Thanks Ramon Diaz (mayordomo)! The beach was beautiful and we were lucky to have 7 days of sunshine. There were always beach chairs available both at the beach and the pool. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will probably go back again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Just got back from a beautiful vacation with my 15 yrs old daughter. We chose the right place! Brand new, spotless, great service, very good food and beautiful pools. Of course, it was right on the beach and the weather was fantastic! The hotel itselft was super! Our room was large with a king size bed, jacuzzi bath, balcony and marble floors! The a-la-carte restaurants were very good too. There were many of them to choose from. We were happy with all of them. I had a massage outside, near the pool. Real nice! There were many huts at the beach but you did have to get up early in the morning to get a good seat in the shade. Went para-sailing and my daughter took a lesson to navigate the katamaran. There is no nightlift at the hotel. You need to take the little shuttlebus to see shows and boogy. That's was fine with us. Met some nice people there and the staff was great. I would go back next week if I could! I may just go back next year at this time! Thanks to all that work there in particular Super Ramon, Marjorie, Orlando, Emmanuel of course and more! Take care and hope to see you soon!

• Stayed April 2010
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I had really mixed feelings about this resort. First off , we had an upgrade to the Esmeralda...from the Punta Cana ..very nice. Check in was very pleasant, everyone who greeted us was very nice. The lobby is pleasant. The room assigned was one of 4 buildings in the Esmeralda complex. We had a third floor room in building 92 and faced the constuction with a nice small view of the ocean from the balcony. The room was lovely ( if not plain) and the bed ( king) was comfy, the bathroom spacious ( separate showere and small tub) Ok, I don't spend a lot of time in the room, but from morning til night u could not enjoy a coffee in the morning, or a pre dinner drink on the balcony unless you wanted to listen to beep, beep, beep of the construction machinery.... I like sitting on the balcony before dinner... not possible. Could not use the adult pool as it was right in the construction zone. Houskeeping was ok, some days no facecloths ( i brought my own) , some days beautiful display on bed, our balcony door never did lock but we did not fuss as we were on third floor. We had a room with a connecting door and for 3 days at 7 am we listened to a screaming kid.....parents yelling at the kid and thankfully by 8 they left. The buffet at Esemeralda... very nice... never a problem. Lots of choice, not very busy and good service. Booking desk for dinner reservations...very good, very pleasant and tryed to accomodate requests. We were not very demanding and just sought out a spot for a few dinners at the speciality places at a late dinner time. Was not a problem for us. Ate at the Mediterraen and the French. Both very nice, but plates that arrived were not as ordered. No big deal. I travel a lot and I am not fussy, but I could not drink the red house wine. For first time ever on A1, I actually ordered wine and paid for it.. And the drinks, really poor, without exception. While Baileys. Jim Beam , premium vodka etc. was included in our package, 9 times out of 10 the response when we asked was , we are out. The bar tenders would make a point of opening the bottle , pouring it to show it was empty. Simply not nice. I did not have many drinks as I could not tolerate the taste of the local stuff. I ended up drinking cava ( sparkling wine) which was drinkable and I could see them pour it from the bottle or a cold beer. None of the bar tenders at any bar were memorable ( that was disappointing as Iusually like to chat with them. ) except at the lobby bar. Very nice fellow there, but he left after a few days. Met some very nice people. Many from Quebec, a few places from other provinces in Canada, some from USA , Europe and a large contingent that week from Cuba. The beach was outstanding. That is why I returned to Punta Cana. Swam everyday, always found a spot under a palapa or tree no matter the time of day ( contrary to all the reports on this site), met many nice people who actually said they were leaving, did we want the palapa. Walked for miles on the beach. Unfortunaltely both my travelling partner and I were sick on day 3 . Can happen anywhere despite precautions , usual tourista stuff, we had a supply of meds, .but we mostly settled on soup, rice and bread for day 4 through 7 . Not entirely pleasant but we made the best of it. . Would I go back...not likely, would I recommend it.... price was excellent, beach lovely, service sporadic but ok, rooms nice.... company fab! But , Next trip.. back to Mexico. Punta Cana just is not for me after 2 visits.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MySunFun
Edmonton AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

I got married at this resort on March 29th 2010. Let me say that the wedding coordinator was absolutley wonderful and the wedding was very organized and beautiful. However, because they have added so many hotels to their property, the beach front they have is very packed and crowded. We got married on the beach and it was hard to get pictures without having fat men in speedos in our pictures. People actually video taped my wedding and snapped pictures and hollared out to me congradulating me as I walked down the aisle. Very unclassy. Like I wanted to be speaking to strangers as I was walking to greet my future husband. How annoying. They had only abit of the area marked off for us. Not near enough. Strangers were actually only feet away from us literally. I do not recommend a beach wedding at this resort for that reason only. However the wedding minus that was wonderful. But we bought the remember package and paid extra money to have a private reception etc... and everything was great until we got back to our room. Our room every day was never made up until after 4 or 5 in the afternoon and the wedding day hey actually forgot to do our room. So on our wedding night we had no towels or face cloths. We called down to the reception and they said we would have to wait til morning. We were supposed to have our room made up special because of the wedding night, with champagne, we were supposed to get breakfast in bed th next morning, none of this happened. We went with all my family and they had baths drawn for them, towel art, flowers..we got nothing, some days they even forgot to do ourroom. I didn't bother to complain much because I am not like that I just don't go back. Too many places to go and explore before I would go back to a 5 star that looked after a wedding couple like that. The resort itsself was very clean and beautiful. It was march break but the esmeralda section was nice and quiet. They have no pool or beach service, so their is no waiters getting you drinks, but the bar was close by. There was also no food allowed allowed by the pools. Most resorts we have been to will bring you nachos or fruit byt he beach this place offered nothing. Food was average. We have been to sandals whitehouse and the paradisus in punta cana and would recommend sandals whitehouse for a romantic vacation for two, or the paridisus punta cana in the reserve section or royal service section over this place in a heartbeat. But if you are on a budget you wont be disapointed in this resort, lots for the kids to do a great family spot but dont recommend for a romatic couples getaway, no pamering here. But staff were all friendly, always smiling even at the people that were complaining. The spa was amazing at the Ambar. Best massage I have ever had.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family