“Horrible Service, Horrible Food, Never Again”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Horrible Service, Horrible Food, Never Again”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I was at Secrets for 7 nights from July 13th-20th. King Bed was requested and the only room available was with two double beds which I wasn't happy about. My boyfriend is a big guy and we really needed a king. They told us to just push the beds together. Thanks, that's romantic!

First day after the pool we went back to the room to shower and get ready for dinner. I sent my boyfriend out for some ice so we could have a drink in the room and needless to say, none of the ice machines were working. We put in a call and were told they would be fixed shortly. Of course, they were not fixed all week. This is just the beginning of the problems we encountered with the hotel.

The first night at dinner we went to a restaurant called Spice in the NOW. This was going to be our first meal at the hotel. The restaurant was so uncomfortably hot that we were sweating at the table. There was little or no AC. On top of that, the meal we ordered was completely unedible. We ordered pork which you couldn't even cut with a knife. We left the restaurant hungry and hot. We then decided to get a drink at the lobby bar. We sat down at 10:45pm for a drink. To our surprise, at 11pm the lights came on and the lobby bar was closing. To me 11pm on vacation is early and the bars should not close. We were left with nothing to do. The hotel told us the only bars open after 11pm were in the disco or the casino. Since we're not big gamblers, we decided to check out the disco. When we walked into the disco, I was shocked that there were children all running around. People were in the disco with children. I have never been to a hotel where children were allowed in a disco. There should be a security guard not allowing anyone under the age of 18 years old in. With infants in carriages and children running all around, how could we possible dance. Once again, we left. When we went back to the room to go to bed all of our dirty towels from that evening were still on the floor and our bed was not turned down. The hotel told us policy was to have the towels removed and replaced and beds turned down daily. We had no clean towels for the next morning. This was unacceptable for a five star hotel. I went to bed upset.

The next morning we woke and went to the breakfast buffet by the beach. We walked in the buffet, were greeted by the staff and were just about to sit down when security came running over and told us we could not stay there because my boyfriend was inappropriately dressed. He had long shorts on and a thick sleeved tank top. We were embarrased at the scene they made and just skipped breakfast. It was only a breakfast buffet. The night before at dinner there were men in shorts, caps, and flip flops (unacceptable dinner attire supposedly) and my boyfriend was dressed properly in dress pants and a button down shirt. I went directly to concierge and reported the incident. They told us hotel policy was short sleeves at the buffet and dress clothes in the evening. They couldn't explain why at dinner the previous night men were inappropriately dressed at the restaurant and were allowed in and we couldn't get into a breakfast buffet. If it's hotel policy then stick to it at all restaurants. This was just the beginning.

We spent the day at the pool and upon returning to the room at 5:30pm, housekeeping had not cleaned our room. We wanted to come back to take showers and came back to an uncleaned room. I immediately contacted housekeeping and they said they cleaned rooms until 6pm and they would get to it shortly. The hotel was clearly understaffed. Seriously, 6pm the restaurants opened for dinner. My room should not be cleaned at 6pm. Another issue we had was hand towels and bath towels were never replaced unless we called and requested new towels. They were trying to conserve towels but it's unsanitary to use the same body towel twice and I refused. This hotel had terrible service. The mini bar was also never restocked with water as it should have been on a daily basis. This was a five star all inclusive resort. It was just very bad service. We had to call to request everything when it should have been done automaticly.

One night we went to dinner and ordered a bottle of wine for $30 extra. We ordered the same bottle of wine the following night at a different restaurant and paid $20. It was the exact same bottle. Nobody could explain to us why the prices were different in different restaurants.

Another thing I want to mention was room service. There was a 24 hour room service menu. I had called a few times in the late evening for room service and the amount of time it took for room service to come was unaccaptable. I ordered a cheese burger one night and it took close to 90 minutes to come.

One of the concepts they had in the room was that once you entered your room you put a key in a slot and all the electricity turns on. I understand this conserves power and therefore money for the hotel. It's a good concept BUT this caused us to reset the clock everyday. Wouldn't they make the clocks run on a battery to avoid this?

Another day we got back to the room after the pool and our key didn't work. Even the housekeeping key didn't work. They told us the battery in our door was dead and security had to come to change it. At this point of our vacation you would think I was making this stuff up. We sat on the floor outside our door for over an hour waiting for security to come charge the battery.

The list can go on and on. This so called vacation was a nightmare. My boyfriend and I couldn't wait to come home. I vacation a lot and I have never had this type of experience. I spent a lot of money on the trip and there were nothing but problems.

1 Thank MICHELLE210
Resident_Mgr_Asst, General Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Resort Secrets Royal Beach.

Please kindly remember that requests can not be guaranteed prior to arrival and are based upon the hotel's availability when you arrive.

We regret not being able to meet your expectations. We take every comment serious and your points of criticism are beneficial suggestions to us to improve the service quality to our valued guests like you.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

It will be a great pleasure to be able to serve you again in the future as one of our precious guests.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,531)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Growing up you dream of what your wedding will be like...fortunetly for us the wedding was amazing. As for the honeymoon that was another story. Let me start from the beginning.
Day 1: We arrived in Punta Cana Sunday afternoon. We reserved one deluxe swim up room with a king size bed. When we entered the room, to our suprise, there were two beautiful twin beds. Lucky for us, they said they could join them together...real romatic as you slide down the middle of the two beds. Then our safe wasn't working and the hotel worker beat it up to finaly get it to work. The remainder of the day was spent trying to figure out what happened to the room we reserved. Day one down nothing romantic yet.

Day 2: We woke up with the outlook that a honeymoon is what you make of it. So we headed out to get some breakfast. The secrets food options were slim pickings. Do NOT eat on this side of the resort horrible food nothing I would recommend. Then it was pool and drinking time...WHAT? no drinks till 10...We thought it was an all inclusive resort which means unlimited food and drinks. OH..let me also add that there is a timelimit on food. Be prepared to plan your meals around the hotel time. We were, for several hours, without food. The resurants and buffets close down for several weird hours before lunch and dinner which makes it difficult to find food. The room service was nothing to brag about either. The only good item on the menu is the hamburger...but only when you are drunk and in need of something greasy.

Day 3: Zip-lining...a must! we had a blast.

Day 4-5: Salamander in the room...along with the endless supply of mosquitos. It took about an hour the first night to have someone come to our room and about 30 minutes the next night to get the salamander out of the room. The room was rarely made which we also paid for and the bar was usually empty in our room for most of the week.

Day 6: Deathly ill...i became terribly ill throwing up, bleeding everytime i went the the bathroom....my husband tried to book an earlier flight to get me home sooner but the concierge was little help. He went to the internet cafe and was kicked out after he explained what he was trying to do because i was so ill because they were closing down for the night. Very disappointing!!!

Overall this is not an experience we would ever recommend to any couple for a honeymoon especially for the price you pay. We would recommend however, The Moon Palace Golf and Spa resort in Cancun Mexico we had not one complaint.

We do need to give props to the other side of the resort Now Larimar they had delicious food, and entertainment everynight. Great entertaining staff!!! Thanks Now Larimar for trying to make part of our stay wonderful.

1 Thank Tripp0529
Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have encountered during your stay. We hope that you are feeling better by now.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana
New city
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Everything was in its right place. From the spacious, breathtaking beach front spread, the winding lazy river leading up to the swim up bar, to the simple but elegantly appointed rooms, the minimalist yet visually satisfying layout could not be more spectacular. The only thing that put a damper to this "close to perfect" vacation was the disappointing dining experience at the Spice Now Larimar restaurant. It took only one person out of the so many very accomodating faces to ruin the evening. Cold as ice, with no salutations, the waiter assigned to us took our order hurriedly and vanished into thin air never to be seen again. This was the worst ATM type culinary service that easily tops the chart as the "Attitude painted all over his face, folded arms, negative body language, not my job, I take orders ONLY!" kind. Other than that, we'll come back when we get a chance. We're looking forward to the 5 star very entertaining recreation group of Acorn, the ever smiling always accomodating housekeepers and the daily sumptuous buffet that made us gain much needed and welcome pounds. See you soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed there from July 10th to the 15th. We got a partial ocean view room and were on the top (3rd) floor in building 5. We had the best view and loved it. The hotel is as clean as anything and the workers are out early in the morning till diner time working on making it beautiful.

When we got there we were greeted with champagne and a cool towel. We were then escorted to the "VIP" area (yes this is a timeshare sale). I was very nice and let the person know right off the bat that I do a lot of research and I know it is a timeshare sale and I am not interested. The salesman gave me a smile and stopped and let us on our way and never bothered us again.

We hit the beach and the pool everyday and it was great. Yes people do get up early and go get the chairs as close to the ocean as possible but we would get to the beach each day around 9am and we were only 3 chairs back so not bad. The swim up bar is awesome and I HIGHLY recommend a bubba keg and they will fill it up for you.

The food was good (not great) but I am not expecting a 5 star restaurant. The buffet was good just a little old for breakfast as it is the same thing everyday. Spice was the best (hibachi) not table service. The worst we went to was Oceana.

The weather was awesome everyday as I looked at the weather channels website and got nervous because it say 70% chance of rain everyday. Well that is in the mountainous area well back from the hotels and we never got a drop of rain and it was sunny all day everyday.

All I can say is just have fun and don't take it too serious.

Jersey City, NJ
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The Airport:  It was quick.  You form the line to pay your $10 tourist card fee, then you continue the line to give another person the tourist card you just purchased.  You continue the line to immigration then you enter the area where the taxis are.  I did not arrange for private transport because I knew there would be an abundance of taxis at the airport.  There is a white board with a list of all the prices to each resort in Punta Cana (thank you to the TA member who included that information in their post).  The price was $33 and we got in a van by ourselves and was at the hotel in 20-25 minutes.

Check In: We arrived at 2 pm and our room was ready. We were offered a glass of champagne and a cold towel. The hotel clerk then directed me to speak to one of their timeshare people.  I kindly declined and then was escorted to the room by one of the workers. You may have to be a bit forceful with your "no" to the timeshare people because they can be a bit aggressive.

Room:  We stayed in a tropical view room in building 5 on the third floor.  I liked building 5 because it led directly to the buffet.  The room is big but basic.  The bathroom is large also.  I loved the walk in glass shower and the double sinks.  They have shower gel, lotion, conditioning shampoo, bar soap, shower cap, shoe polish, q-tip, a small comb, blow dryer and cotton balls.  There is an iron and iron board, clock radio, in room safe, coffee maker, ice bucket with glasses, and ample closet space.  The balcony and jacuzzi were both nice.  There is also a line in the shower that is used to hang wet bathing suits.  The mini bar was stocked: sodas, club soda, water and Presidente beer.  The AC and ceiling fan kept the room cool.  My only complaints about the room were that the remote control did not work properly and one of the bedside lamps did not work. Also, the bathroom is poorly ventilated.

Food:  I am not a picky eater but still found the food unimpressive.  Breakfast was okay; cereals, oatmeal, pancakes, french toast, etc.  The omelette station was a bonus.  Highlights: chicken, ribs and hamburgers from the grill by the beach, lobster tails and Dominican night at the buffet (have the flaming dessert).   My partner did get sick one night. We went to Spice one night and it was okay.  I would advise you arrive no later than 6:30-7:00 pm for the a la carte restaurants. We tried going to Spice at 7:45 pm one night and was told it was an hour wait.  We came back in 45 minutes and were told another 43 minutes.  We headed for the Now Larimar buffet that night since there was a wait for all the restaurants.  I felt their buffet had more options but it was not as nice as the one at Secrets.  The food was the same.  If you do go to the Now's buffet, sit in their Preferred Club section because that is the only section with waitstaff for your drinks.  Just tell the hostess that you are from Secrets and would like to sit there.

Drinks:  They were really good.  I drank Absolute and tonic everyday.  The drinks in the coconuts and pineapples were delicious.  You have to try a mama juana!  They run out of Red Bull and Coronas very quickly.  The cappuccinos were very good as well.  The drinks were strong.  Just ask for what you want and they will make it.  My favorite bars were Marlin (on the beach-shout out to Willie the bartender) and Rendevousz (the lobby bar).  I did go to Moments at the Now but did not like it because there were children at the bar!

The Grounds:  Immaculate.  It is a beautiful property and very clean.  The two pools were always cool, clean, and refreshing.  The gym is in a room next to the theater at the Now.  It has 3 treadmills (one was broken), an elliptical, a bike and some free weights.

Service: I found the service to be very good.  Everyone goes out of their way to make you comfortable.  I had a few issues with room service; I ordered it three times and they only got it right once.  Also, they still knock when the "do not disturb" sign is on the door.  Housekeeping did a good job; towels and washcloths were replenished daily.  The mini bar was restocked daily.  We randomly received turn down service one night.

Entertainment:  At Secrets, there is live music from 8-11 each night.  At Now, there is more entertainment.  I went to the Micheal Jackson show and the Cirque de Dreams (I think that is the name) which were both okay.  I preferred to be at Secrets with no children.

Although Secrets was nice, I would not return because I really did not like the food, I did not like having to go to the Now for the a la carte restaurants (I chose an adult only resort to be away from children) and I have experienced better All Inclusives.

The most important reason I would not return to Secrets is because my credit card was charged in pesos and my credit card charged me a $50 foreign transaction  fee.  I have travelled to various countries where the US dollar is not the main currency and have never had to pay a transaction fee because I was always billed in US $.  Also, since my credit card did the exchange rate it came out to be $13 more than what Secrets told me I would be billed.  This was an oversight on my part because I have never had this issue.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

• Stayed July 2011
6 Thank SmoothGem13
Washington, DC
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I just stayed at Secrets Royal Beach and loved how friendly the staff was! Everything went smoothly on this trip: check-in, warm welcome, amenities, beach, pool, entertainment...the works! Our room was very nice and quiet. The landscaping was beautiful and the cuisine...excellent! The staff really impressed me. It helps to know and speak Spanish at this hotel (even though the staff speaks English perfectly). They really appreciate it if you say "Por Favor" and "Gracias" and are exceptionally polite and to all guests. The swim up bar is a very chill scene for socializing and meeting other guests. We had dinner with groups we met and enjoyed the nightly entertainment. I recommend this hotel for a romantic get away for two. It is completely GORGEOUS and laid back. Totally awesome week long vacation for couples!!! The only cons I encountered were the fitness center (which was a shabby conference room converted into a gym), the beach had no reef, shells or fish...just white sand and blue water(...but hey, some people want just that! I am a reef snorkeler so I was a little disappointed) and a bit of illness from the local water. Also, be sure to check buffet times because even though it is AI, you could get stuck with late night room service which is not very good. The restaurants are just too good to miss out on! I was delighted to be on the "no kids allowed" side but many people I met speculated why the only on-site night club was on the kid side! Not very comfortable sipping your cocktail at the bar next to an 8 year old at 10 pm. Other than those little tidbits...PERFECT!!!

Room Tip: If you want to lay out: Swim up room. If you want extra privacy: Garden room. All rooms have outd...
1 Thank theloreli
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My boyfriend and I went to PuntaCana back in Feb 2011. Overall it was a delightful stay and we enjoyed every bit of it.

Pros:
- Check in was really easy (altough we arrived around 9pm). The staff then drove us to our building, and introduced all the facilities (restaurants, spa, shops) that we passed -- very friendly and the information given were useful.
- the pool and the lazy river were very clean, you see the staff checking for clarity (or if anybody did any "special activities" in the pool) every morning/noon/afternoon.
- service was great at the restaurants/shops/lobby/pool -- you recieve immediate attention and everyone was nice
- the resort is beautiful, everywhere you see is photo-worthy.
- adult only -- therefore it's very quiet and romantice for couples, you don't get disturbed by kids.
- the nightly shows were fun, we went from monday to friday, and the show on Thursday was very memorable. The entertainment doesn't go too late (i don't think) however i can see that rooms that are closer to the lobby/club/auditorium will be a bit noisy at night.
- Food: was good (I'm comparing to my experience with other all-inclusives in Cancun/Jamaica) - clean and fresh. The buffet on the all adult side is small however, provided better food than the other side of the resort
- As the Royal guest -- you can go to the other side and use all of their facilites. This gave us a few extra activies to do but most of the time we stayed on our end
- The Pure was awesome, food was delicate and yummy. The other reservation only restaurant ( i can't rememmber the name anymore -- mexican food) was very midiocore.

Cons:
- we didn't get the room we asked for, they gave us a 2 double bed room instead of one king. We were an easy-going couple so didn't complain too much, as they promised to send someone to push the two beds together. The person never showed up -- we had to do this ourselves
- the room does have a slight moldy smell and the beds feel a bit moist, due to the high humidity. we kept our AC on high and it helped. This was acceptable to us however I can see a lot of people having a problem with the high humidity rooms.
- the bridges over the lazy river can be slippery -- however if you just walk carefully you wouldn't have a problem. I'm assuming most of you reading my review have also read other reviews which also noted this -- just go prepared and you'll be fine!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shuang_viv