“Amazing second honeymoon!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I am not sure if the previous reviewers stayed at the same resort as my husband and I. I could not find something to complain about, other than my husbands love of mamajuana shots!

We landed at the most amazing airport ever, and after a short 20 minute ride to the hotel were handed cool towels and champagne. We politely refused the timeshare meeting, and were not bothered again.

Our room was ready, we did request a king ocean view, we were given a double ocean view, but so what! We did not push the beds together, and we were fine on the double. Our view was perfect. The room was clean and beautiful.

The food was good, not the best we have ever had, but we were very happy. We ate at each restaurant. Our favorites were the French (mecure), American (clear water grill?), and the Italian restaurant. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, and my husband misses the fried cheese! The wait staff was on fire! They were not overbearing, we never had an empty plate on the table for longer than 5 minutes. We were not impressed with the atmosphere at Spice, but there was one lady that ruined it for us, she was a guest who stared through the door the entire time we were eating, as she was waiting for her table. We had the waiter shut the door. Room service was very tasty. It is available 24 hours a day. We also had food from the grill on the beach, we heard rave reviews all week, that it has some of the best food.

The restaurants are not well airconditioned, but it never bothered us at all. We are in a tropical location, and never expected to freeze!

We enjoyed Kayaking and snorkling off the beach of the resort. I participated in the dance lessons (so much fun, thanks Blondie and Speedy!). We always spent the morning on the beach and moved to the pool in the afternoon.

The pool bar was so much fun. The bar tenders are the best! Each day there was a different activity at the pool bar, the entertainment staff made each day fun. We also took advantage of the lazy river. We had floats but only used them once, as it was more relaxing for us to swim around.

We also decided to do a couples massage on the beach. It was a wonderful experiance that I recommend.

We enjoyed the entertainment at both resorts. We saw Gala Caribbe, the Cirque show, Michael Jackson (It was the best!!!), and visited the disco for a while on the NOW side. There were kids in the disco, and they were running around having fun. It is a family resort, so I do not think it was inappropriate for the kids to be there. We liked relaxed entertainment on the Secrets side. We are in our 30's and have kids at home so we spent more time at secrets.

My husband and I scheduled an appointment with a travel clinic to make sure we were up to date on immunizations. I suggest this for everyone. I think that people are unaware of what can have a nasty effect on their bodies. The water in the resort that you drink in restaurants and at the pool bar are all filtered, the ice is from alaska, not from the tap so you are safe. Please use bottled water to brush your teeth! No tap water is safe in country for people other than Dominicans. Fruit that peels is safe, but other than that you run the risk of a reaction to certain things. Our doctors gave us Rx's for malaria pills and travelers diarrea, which we heard many complaints about. We took our pills at the first sign of diarrea and had no ill effects, where some people were sick for days.

My best advice is to be open minded, but also proactive knowing where you are traveling and the risks associated with the location.

We loved this resort and would love to return!!!

4  Thank eek01
Write a ReviewReviews (10,082)

Reviewed 24 July 2011

we stayed at the secrets royal beach in july and we had a fab time!!! the rooms were spotless and the maid service was twice a day everyday!! all the staff there was very helpful and very friendly, its nice to stayt at secrets because you get use of the now hotel too, the food was nice and the resturants, the band in secrets which played most nights were brilliant! pools was very clean and plenty of them 2 choose from,the beach was lovely a bit see weedy but then thats not the hotels fault! we made friends with alot of the staff there and are still in touch with them now we have returned home, roberto avila is a great guy so helpful and a really nice person 2 talk 2 if you have any questions 2 ask hes your man! just join the facebook page, rossy was lovely always serving good drinks, and samora in the secrets resturant was always great 2 have a chat 2. we will be going back 2 this hotel maybe next year! we loved it. :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank julieEssexEngland
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We traveled to Secrets Royal Beach July 6-13th with two other couples. We had an AMAZING time!! The staff was welcoming and friendly! Thank you to Menquis, Francis, German, Miguel, Faustino, Speedy, and all of the staff in the buffet, hotel, entertainment, and housekeeping who worked so hard to make sure we had a relaxing, "happy, happy" vacation in paradise!
Our room was ALWAYS extremely clean, comfortable, and restocked with plenty of water. The hotel grounds and beach were immaculate! We were always very impressed to see the sidewalks being scrubbed, pool and beach being cleaned, floors being buffed, elevators cleaned, and lanscaping being taken care of daily! We also could not believe that there were very FEW bugs--no problems!
We had tons of fun with morning yoga, dancing lessons, snorkeling, sailing, parasailing, walking on the beach, relaxing on the beach and in the lazy river!
Every day on the beach they had a special drink being served. We could choose between coconut or banana & pineapple drinks served in a fresh coconut or pineapple.
The food at the buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was INCREDIBLE! Tons of variety to choose from and always fresh fruits and vegetables as well as carved meats, made to order eggs, meats, pasta, smoothies, etc....
We continue to talk about this most memorable adventure, look at pictures and videos, and feel grateful for a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana at Secrets Royal Beach!!! We would recommend it to our family and friends!

Room Tip: We had a pool view room on the first floor. It was nice to have access from the pool as well as bei...
5  Thank travelers6_11
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I was at Secrets for 7 nights from July 13th-20th. King Bed was requested and the only room available was with two double beds which I wasn't happy about. My boyfriend is a big guy and we really needed a king. They told us to just push the beds together. Thanks, that's romantic!

First day after the pool we went back to the room to shower and get ready for dinner. I sent my boyfriend out for some ice so we could have a drink in the room and needless to say, none of the ice machines were working. We put in a call and were told they would be fixed shortly. Of course, they were not fixed all week. This is just the beginning of the problems we encountered with the hotel.

The first night at dinner we went to a restaurant called Spice in the NOW. This was going to be our first meal at the hotel. The restaurant was so uncomfortably hot that we were sweating at the table. There was little or no AC. On top of that, the meal we ordered was completely unedible. We ordered pork which you couldn't even cut with a knife. We left the restaurant hungry and hot. We then decided to get a drink at the lobby bar. We sat down at 10:45pm for a drink. To our surprise, at 11pm the lights came on and the lobby bar was closing. To me 11pm on vacation is early and the bars should not close. We were left with nothing to do. The hotel told us the only bars open after 11pm were in the disco or the casino. Since we're not big gamblers, we decided to check out the disco. When we walked into the disco, I was shocked that there were children all running around. People were in the disco with children. I have never been to a hotel where children were allowed in a disco. There should be a security guard not allowing anyone under the age of 18 years old in. With infants in carriages and children running all around, how could we possible dance. Once again, we left. When we went back to the room to go to bed all of our dirty towels from that evening were still on the floor and our bed was not turned down. The hotel told us policy was to have the towels removed and replaced and beds turned down daily. We had no clean towels for the next morning. This was unacceptable for a five star hotel. I went to bed upset.

The next morning we woke and went to the breakfast buffet by the beach. We walked in the buffet, were greeted by the staff and were just about to sit down when security came running over and told us we could not stay there because my boyfriend was inappropriately dressed. He had long shorts on and a thick sleeved tank top. We were embarrased at the scene they made and just skipped breakfast. It was only a breakfast buffet. The night before at dinner there were men in shorts, caps, and flip flops (unacceptable dinner attire supposedly) and my boyfriend was dressed properly in dress pants and a button down shirt. I went directly to concierge and reported the incident. They told us hotel policy was short sleeves at the buffet and dress clothes in the evening. They couldn't explain why at dinner the previous night men were inappropriately dressed at the restaurant and were allowed in and we couldn't get into a breakfast buffet. If it's hotel policy then stick to it at all restaurants. This was just the beginning.

We spent the day at the pool and upon returning to the room at 5:30pm, housekeeping had not cleaned our room. We wanted to come back to take showers and came back to an uncleaned room. I immediately contacted housekeeping and they said they cleaned rooms until 6pm and they would get to it shortly. The hotel was clearly understaffed. Seriously, 6pm the restaurants opened for dinner. My room should not be cleaned at 6pm. Another issue we had was hand towels and bath towels were never replaced unless we called and requested new towels. They were trying to conserve towels but it's unsanitary to use the same body towel twice and I refused. This hotel had terrible service. The mini bar was also never restocked with water as it should have been on a daily basis. This was a five star all inclusive resort. It was just very bad service. We had to call to request everything when it should have been done automaticly.

One night we went to dinner and ordered a bottle of wine for $30 extra. We ordered the same bottle of wine the following night at a different restaurant and paid $20. It was the exact same bottle. Nobody could explain to us why the prices were different in different restaurants.

Another thing I want to mention was room service. There was a 24 hour room service menu. I had called a few times in the late evening for room service and the amount of time it took for room service to come was unaccaptable. I ordered a cheese burger one night and it took close to 90 minutes to come.

One of the concepts they had in the room was that once you entered your room you put a key in a slot and all the electricity turns on. I understand this conserves power and therefore money for the hotel. It's a good concept BUT this caused us to reset the clock everyday. Wouldn't they make the clocks run on a battery to avoid this?

Another day we got back to the room after the pool and our key didn't work. Even the housekeeping key didn't work. They told us the battery in our door was dead and security had to come to change it. At this point of our vacation you would think I was making this stuff up. We sat on the floor outside our door for over an hour waiting for security to come charge the battery.

The list can go on and on. This so called vacation was a nightmare. My boyfriend and I couldn't wait to come home. I vacation a lot and I have never had this type of experience. I spent a lot of money on the trip and there were nothing but problems.

1  Thank MICHELLE210
Resident_Mgr_Asst, General Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Resort Secrets Royal Beach.

Please kindly remember that requests can not be guaranteed prior to arrival and are based upon the hotel's availability when you arrive.

We regret not being able to meet your expectations. We take every comment serious and your points of criticism are beneficial suggestions to us to improve the service quality to our valued guests like you.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

It will be a great pleasure to be able to serve you again in the future as one of our precious guests.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Growing up you dream of what your wedding will be like...fortunetly for us the wedding was amazing. As for the honeymoon that was another story. Let me start from the beginning.
Day 1: We arrived in Punta Cana Sunday afternoon. We reserved one deluxe swim up room with a king size bed. When we entered the room, to our suprise, there were two beautiful twin beds. Lucky for us, they said they could join them together...real romatic as you slide down the middle of the two beds. Then our safe wasn't working and the hotel worker beat it up to finaly get it to work. The remainder of the day was spent trying to figure out what happened to the room we reserved. Day one down nothing romantic yet.

Day 2: We woke up with the outlook that a honeymoon is what you make of it. So we headed out to get some breakfast. The secrets food options were slim pickings. Do NOT eat on this side of the resort horrible food nothing I would recommend. Then it was pool and drinking time...WHAT? no drinks till 10...We thought it was an all inclusive resort which means unlimited food and drinks. OH..let me also add that there is a timelimit on food. Be prepared to plan your meals around the hotel time. We were, for several hours, without food. The resurants and buffets close down for several weird hours before lunch and dinner which makes it difficult to find food. The room service was nothing to brag about either. The only good item on the menu is the hamburger...but only when you are drunk and in need of something greasy.

Day 3: Zip-lining...a must! we had a blast.

Day 4-5: Salamander in the room...along with the endless supply of mosquitos. It took about an hour the first night to have someone come to our room and about 30 minutes the next night to get the salamander out of the room. The room was rarely made which we also paid for and the bar was usually empty in our room for most of the week.

Day 6: Deathly ill...i became terribly ill throwing up, bleeding everytime i went the the bathroom....my husband tried to book an earlier flight to get me home sooner but the concierge was little help. He went to the internet cafe and was kicked out after he explained what he was trying to do because i was so ill because they were closing down for the night. Very disappointing!!!

Overall this is not an experience we would ever recommend to any couple for a honeymoon especially for the price you pay. We would recommend however, The Moon Palace Golf and Spa resort in Cancun Mexico we had not one complaint.

We do need to give props to the other side of the resort Now Larimar they had delicious food, and entertainment everynight. Great entertaining staff!!! Thanks Now Larimar for trying to make part of our stay wonderful.

1  Thank Tripp0529

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have encountered during your stay. We hope that you are feeling better by now.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Everything was in its right place. From the spacious, breathtaking beach front spread, the winding lazy river leading up to the swim up bar, to the simple but elegantly appointed rooms, the minimalist yet visually satisfying layout could not be more spectacular. The only thing that put a damper to this "close to perfect" vacation was the disappointing dining experience at the Spice Now Larimar restaurant. It took only one person out of the so many very accomodating faces to ruin the evening. Cold as ice, with no salutations, the waiter assigned to us took our order hurriedly and vanished into thin air never to be seen again. This was the worst ATM type culinary service that easily tops the chart as the "Attitude painted all over his face, folded arms, negative body language, not my job, I take orders ONLY!" kind. Other than that, we'll come back when we get a chance. We're looking forward to the 5 star very entertaining recreation group of Acorn, the ever smiling always accomodating housekeepers and the daily sumptuous buffet that made us gain much needed and welcome pounds. See you soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed there from July 10th to the 15th. We got a partial ocean view room and were on the top (3rd) floor in building 5. We had the best view and loved it. The hotel is as clean as anything and the workers are out early in the morning till diner time working on making it beautiful.

When we got there we were greeted with champagne and a cool towel. We were then escorted to the "VIP" area (yes this is a timeshare sale). I was very nice and let the person know right off the bat that I do a lot of research and I know it is a timeshare sale and I am not interested. The salesman gave me a smile and stopped and let us on our way and never bothered us again.

We hit the beach and the pool everyday and it was great. Yes people do get up early and go get the chairs as close to the ocean as possible but we would get to the beach each day around 9am and we were only 3 chairs back so not bad. The swim up bar is awesome and I HIGHLY recommend a bubba keg and they will fill it up for you.

The food was good (not great) but I am not expecting a 5 star restaurant. The buffet was good just a little old for breakfast as it is the same thing everyday. Spice was the best (hibachi) not table service. The worst we went to was Oceana.

The weather was awesome everyday as I looked at the weather channels website and got nervous because it say 70% chance of rain everyday. Well that is in the mountainous area well back from the hotels and we never got a drop of rain and it was sunny all day everyday.

All I can say is just have fun and don't take it too serious.