“Excellente'!!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #8 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 August 2011

It was our first time to the DR or the Caribbean for that matter. My boyfriend & I stayed here for a week in July and we had a wonderful time! The weather was beautiful, sunny, blue skies (it only rained a couple days, but only for about 10 minutes or so). The water was gorgeous, almost turquoise and warm to swim and snorkel in. There were a lot of reviews about the seaweed in the water and on the beach. It really wasn't a big deal. Some days there was more than others, but it was more like sea grass, not seaweed.
The room was nice, just like the pictures posted in other reviews. We were on the 1st floor close to the plaza and front building. There wasn't any excessive noise from music playing at night. It made it actually convenient to go to the bar and the plaza for drinks and also to go next door to their sister resort Now Larimar. The nice thing about Secrets RB is it's adult-only, that's why we booked here and next door was mostly families. We could venture to their side, but they couldn't come to our side. That was cool. What I thought was strange, was that on the Secrets side, the bar closed at midnight, but on the Now side they have a casino and a night club that stay open till about 2/3 am. I guess they want the Secrets side to stay more upscale.
We mostly went down to the beach every day. We didn't go in the lazy river/pool at all. The beach was great! Either on the palm side or the palapa side, was all nice. Some days we didn't go to the beach till later in the afternoon and we didn't have trouble finding a lounge chair. If you want a palapa though, I would suggest going down early and putting your towels under the one you want. Some of them need to be cut back as laying under them you can't see the beach. Everyday they have activities on the beach, such as volleyball and dance lessons. You should get a flyer in your room with all the activities for the next day.
Another thing we enjoyed was the people who work at both resorts. They are great people and although we had a little trouble with the language barrier we did OK. They spoke a little English and we spoke a little Spanish. They actually taught us some words, so that was cool. We got to know a lot of the cocktail waitresses & bartenders, to name a few, Heydi, Ana, Justina (bartender @ casino), Willy (@ the beach bar), Andres 3000. Great people - talk to them, learn their stories, and make some new friends. I did read a lot of reviews on bringing the maids presents, so your room would be clean, but I ended up giving a lot to the people we met and talked to everyday. We did also tip a little bit, a $1 here, $1 there. I think at the most we tipped maybe $5 to someone. We didn't spend an enormous amount on tipping. The staff does work 12 days on, 3 days off & most of them live 3-4 hours away from the resort. I wish I could keep in contact with them as they were such nice people, but they don't have internet/email. Everyone is super friendly and they will say "hola" passing you & ask how you are doing, when they reply, they always say "Excellente!"
The only downside is our room wasn't consistent on when it was cleaned. There was maybe 2 days in a row where they either didn't come or they came really late, like past 8pm to clean it. We did complain and they compensated us with a Cabana for the day on the beach. That was really nice.

We would definitely go again. It was a nice getaway and very relaxing. Service was great, food so-so, and scenery was awesome!

**TIPS: Definitely bring high SPF sunscreen, you will get burnt. Also, mosquito repellant w/ deet (they have stronger mosquitoes there that if you don't have the strong stuff you will get bit). We had to buy some while we were there because our spray wasn't working, and it was $14. Another good tip is to bring a spray bottle, fill it with bottled water and use it to cool you down on the beach. Helped out a lot because it was really hot. Bring Pepto & Tums. Bring some Aloe.
Women - dresses! I wore a dress every single day we were there. Day or night, it feels a lot cooler than to be constricted with capris or shorts for that matter.
Men – we saw some guys dressed in shorts and sandals at dinner, but others were dressed up. My BF wore khakis & a button down shirt for dinner.
The buffets were casual, shorts, sandals; cover-ups for women, flip-flops all were appropriate. We actually went to a lot of these, as we didn’t want to get dressed up.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alisonisky

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Highly recommended if you want tranquility, pampering in a stress free environment. We believe the secret of Secret's is the subliminal music that is played throughout the resort complex. Very relaxing and soothing to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have a lot to say about my recent trip to Punta Cana and Secrets Royal Beach, but I'm going to try to make it short.

Check in was quick and easy. Our room wasn't ready for a couple hours after we arrived, but that gave us enough time to go to the beach and walk around a little bit. They gave us champagne, hot towels, and explained the resort and the sister resort, Now Larimar. We had paid for an ocean-view room, which I don't think is necessary. If I were to go back, I would just do a pool-view because of the way the buildings are set up you don't really get a view of the ocean unless you go out on your balcony and look out side-ways.

No problem getting a chair at the beach any days, even under a palapa. There was always a breeze so the temperature was great. There is a lot of activity on the beach and in the water, so it's not really quiet. We didn't have any trouble relaxing and reading though. There is a lot of sea weed, too much for me to swim in the ocean but my husband and several other people didn't mind. We spent most of our time at the beach and loved it!

The pool was always clean and a great temperature. We got in a couple times during our stay.

We tried 4 restaurants - the Asian, Italian, French, and American grill, as well as the buffet at Secrets. We each liked the dishes we got at all. However, there was some confusion when we went to Spice, the Asian restaurant. At first we sat at a table away from the Hibatchi grill. Then we found out those seats only served Chinese and some other Asian foods, but if you wanted Sushi and Japanese foods you had to sit at the Hibatchi grill. We were sooo embarrassed when we had to ask to be moved because we wanted the Japanese foods. The food at the hibatchi grill was the best we had at the resort!

My husband ended up sick on the second day (diarrhea) and I ended up with stomache issues on the 4th day. However, we had PeptoBismol and were sooo glad for that. We had also taken an antibiotic and anti-nausea medicine with us but didn't need it.

Other comments: beach/pool towels are available at the water activities area. Any time we left the resort, even to go to the Now side, we had to show our room key to get back to Secrets. Our room always had plenty of towels and wash cloths.

We booked an excursion through Apple while we were there - Bavaro Runners. That was great and I plan to write a more detailed review for it.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BTCJ08
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Secret Royal been July 9-16th and we had a great experience. It was the most relaxing vacation we have ever been on. We were so happy to have to option to go to the Now Larimar (live) or chill at Secrets (adults only). The food at Secrets was pretty good, we at a the Beach grill alot for lunch. Larimar's food was good at the buffet for dinner and some of the restaurants were ok Japanese being the best. Restaurants are very hot and crowded at Larimar. Beach had alot of seaweed upon arrival but after a couple of days it seemed to clear up and the beach was beautiful!!! I did have one bad experience at the swim up bar with one of the bartenders. They tend to want to give you the drink they want to give you and not what you asked for. Once I called him out on it he got really rude,but he quickly realized that he was wrong apologized and pulled it together. I was blown away by the whole situation. Overall it was a good experience can't let one rotten egg spoil the bunch!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TrainMd
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My wife and I went for a week in late May. Check in was quick and easy and we got right to the room. The best thing about this resort for me was the beach. It was 82 degrees everyday with a nice light breeze. And unlike Cancun, this beach has palm trees in the sand. Every morning we would go down and eat breakfast on the patio, then spend all day on the beach and read. Around 2 we would start on the drinks and be fast asleep by eleven. Never left the resort. You won't want to anyway. I went snorkeling twice. Pay 35 bucks, and a boat takes you about a mile offshore and you snorkel for an hour. And it's really good snorkeling and they give you a vest that keeps you buoyant so no real work required. Made some friends with some other couples and just had a real good time.
The only thumbs down I would give would be the food. Not much flavor and pretty low grade ingredients. The bartenders did a nice job and they serve the good stuff. if you tip extra theyll pull out the bottle beer instead of the El Presidente out of the tap. The staff was really good though and the rooms were clean. Also, they gave us two full size beds instead of a King but we solved that by pushing them together to make one massive bed. One other thing, we had a pretty good room, but all of the rooms except for maybe a dozen are perpendicular to the shore line so even if you have ocean view, when you sit on your patio you more than likely will not be facing the shore. No biggie though.
I would definitely go back for the beach though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank roninokc
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Ok, first off - I loved the look and feel of the resort. It is beautifully decorated. The grounds stunning, the rooms pretty nice. The staff for the most part were pleasent. The beach was nice although a little sea weed - nothing to scare you though! The resort it self is a little busy and although I thought that I was supposed to be on the adult only side, there seemed to be kids with parents that we saw every so often. A little annoying when you're trying to take a romantic bath on your belcony to hear children's voices. Not exactly what I had pictured. The meals were just ok. The buffet was the best out of all of them. We tried the a la carte restaurants twice and were dissapointed. We were fairly careful with regard to not drinking the water or having any ice in our drinks, although I wondered if the soda fountain for mixers was mixed with their water anyway. The first 3.5 days were great, but my wife ended up with some sort of stomach bug that kept her down and out for the remainder. I spent my days doing activities in between brining her drinks etc. Bring anti diarrhea drugs and most certainly I would not go to DR without anti nausea meds. It probably would have been a great vacation had we not spent it apart with my wife becoming so ill. Don't think we will be back to DR. Also, although we liked many of the service staff, there seemed to be a problem with communicating. We had trouble getting what we ordered sometimes and had a few times to spend extra time trying to understand what they were saying to us.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Canadian e
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Great food and outstanding entertainment staff; lots of activities! Friendly, funny, professional team.

Room Tip: Recommend Pool-side swimup!