“Excelente!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Now I'm not going to get into details about the food and drinks. I fully enjoyed the food, and the drinks were great. Now, I've been to the Riu palace and Iberostar's of Punta Cana, and both of them have good food and drinks too. What separates Secrets from the competition is the size of the room, and most of all the Entertainment.

Speedy, Akon, Cari, Blondie, and Stephanie do a great job. Not a minute passed by where I was bored or didnt have something to do. Of all the hotel entertainment crews I've seen, they do the best job.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Secrets and look forward to coming back in December if possible.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Deldabh

Reviewed 16 August 2011

First let me say I am a controller at five star hotel in Chicago so I am going to look at things differently.
I understand that resort has recently changed ownership/management in the past couple months and there is shake out from the change and that is expected. However, there are a couple things that I feel that should be mentioned. First, during check in we told that we got honeymoon package and would given vouchers for the spa/wine when our room was ready. We waited for 2 hours in the lobby before they gave us a room (which is fine) but what occurred during those two hours was not. During that time, we approached by 4 people with, I believe, Vacation Unlimited Club trying to get my sign up with them. Needless to say, I was not pleased with their sales pitch. I mean I am on my Honeymoon and the last I want to do is fight off salesmen asking for personal information and my credit card. Actually, even if I was just on vacation, the last I want to do is deal with people like that. As for the vouchers I was told I was getting? Yea, I have to talk to the Vacation Unlimited people. Thanks, I do not need them that bad. We finally get to our room and it says “Happy Birthday” oppose to “Honeymoon”

We got a laugh from that. Oh, Well.

After we got to our room (swim up) everything was great. Though there were couple things we thought were odd: Some days we got chocolate kisses and others we did not and 1 night we got a swan and rose petals and other just rose petals. 2 days we did not get towels but the room was made up. The last two days we did not get mini bar service and had to call get it refreshed. Here’s my thought on that. Secrets have it in writing that they are going to refill the mini bar once a day. If you are going to put in writing then it must get done.

The last thing that according to the honeymoon package was that we were to get 15% off of the spa. Yea, we did not get that because we did not the vouchers because we did not want to deal with Vacation Unlimited Club. Plus, they refused to take credit cards because they had just moved in to a hotel room (2106? Over at NOW). Luckily, we had the cash.

The reason why I give poor is simply I contacted Secrets directly over 3 weeks ago and I have not heard back at all.

Lastly, about the beach. The people that complain about the seagrass, get over yourself. The earth is 2/3rds water and guess what? Stuff lives there. If you do not like swimming in rivers, lakes etc you are really are not going to like the ocean. There is only so much you can do.

6  Thank uscuba2_2011
Resident_Mgr_Asst, General Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Resort Secrets Royal Beach.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have encountered during your stay.

We regret not being able to meet your expectations. We take every comment serious and your points of criticism are beneficial suggestions to us to improve the service quality to our valued guests like you.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

It will be a great pleasure to be able to serve you again in the future as one of our precious guests.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Secrets Royal Beach and Now Larimar are connected. SRB is the adults side, and the Now Larimar allows families, but the facilities are all shared. Larimar guests may not go over to the SRB side, but SRB guests may use all the Larimar facilities, including Preferred Club pools and bars. The whole resort is stunningly beautiful – I felt that both the Secrets Royal Beach side and the Now Larimar side are equally lovely. The whole resort is impeccably clean, and the grounds are a lush, green, well-manicured paradise. Miraculously, there are few bugs. I went the whole week without a single mosquito bite, an impossible feat back in my home Pennsylvania. : )

We enjoyed the food at each of the restaurants, and never experienced a long wait at any of them. The options on the SRB side include a steak/seafood house, a chef’s tasting restaurant, and a buffet, coupled with all the Now Larimar side options, which were another buffet, an Asian spot, a French restaurant, Italian, and an American-style steak house. Over the course of the week, we tried all of them – there wasn’t a bad choice in the bunch, though our favorite was the French restaurant (Mercure) with great crepes Suzette made tableside, flaming. Buffets had a ton of options, and courtesy of the tropical locale, any fruits are as sweet and juicy as they could possibly be.

Beverages are flowing freely and available just about anywhere – most certainly not skimpy on the alcohol. Lobby bars offered up well-made and “pretty” drinks, while the pool bars were mostly hard booze, to cater appropriately to the crowds at each.

The pools were super-clean and spacious. The SRB side has a large pool with swim-up bar and a large lazy river that nearly spans that side of the resort. Many people brought inflatable floats so that they could lounge and drift along the river – a great idea if you want to spend a lot of pool time. The beach had extra soft white sand, as fine as baking flour. The water was lovely blue and while there was a lot of sea grass (mounds and mounds of it) the staff worked daily to keep clearing it as fast as possible. While the tour operators will tell you there are no fish to be seen, we snorkeled and saw several fish despite slightly cloudy waters. If you bring a piece of bread from the buffet, the fish absolutely flock to you! There are lots of water sports available on the beach (included in the resort price) but we didn’t partake of any. We parked ourselves under one of the many, many available palapas (grass umbrellas) that were on the beach. In 7 days, we never had a problem finding available loungers or umbrellas. We did have a lot of issues with towels, however. The towel hut ran out of towels almost every day, and the gentleman manning the station didn’t seem too motivated to restock. Walking soppy wet back to the room can be a slippery proposition with so many smooth marble surfaces on the walkways. A small frustration, but my recommendation is to stop by very early, right after breakfast, to grab your towels before they run out. Or, simply bring your room towels – don’t count on getting them on the beach or you will be disappointed more often than not.

The room was very clean. It was large, with a nice layout and good amenities. The bedroom and sitting area are the main room, nicely appointed, and the bathroom is sizable with a marble walk-in shower, double sink, and small side room with toilet and bidet. Good size bottles of herbal-scented shampoo/conditioner, lotion, and body wash are provided. Bottled water in the bathroom is replenished daily for brushing your teeth.

Generally, service was alright, but not stellar. Our room was clean and the minibar stocked regularly. There were some waitstaff who were really excellent (Maribel at the Steakhouse, and Florentino at Mercure did a great job for us) but overall, we found the service to be “OK.” Our friends who stayed on the Larimar side in the Preferred Club said their room attendant was phenomenal, and ours was just adequate, nothing special. I think this is just a fact that some staff are great and some aren’t…I don’t think it makes a difference which side of the resort you are staying on.

Entertainment was fun. Each night, there were free performances, ranging from magicians to Elvis or Michael Jackson impersonators to circus performances to live music. There was always something enjoyable to watch, and the entertainment staff seemed to enjoy themselves, getting folks involved and keeping the guests happy. There were daily activities poolside, bar games, and exercise or dance routines on the beach or in the pools. Of course, if you preferred to sit it out and just lounge around, that was an option, too!

My biggest gripe at the resort is the timeshare/vacation club pestering. It’s relentless, and they are all over the resort on the SRB and Larimar sides alike, so it’s hard to escape them. They really, really don’t want to take NO for an answer. I feel like the hotel should back them off a bit – you pay a lot for your trip, and you don’t want salespeople pushing you from the first day.

That said, I LOVED this resort, a truly 5-star experience in an absolute paradise of a location. I was nervous after reading some of the negative reviews of Larimar, but I’m totally convinced that these people didn’t really stay at the resort. I’m very lucky to travel a lot, can sometimes be picky, and have to say that this was one of the nicest places I’ve been. If you have the opportunity to visit Secrets Royal Beach or Now Larimar, GO!! You won’t regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the restaurants - they are also close to the beach and pool!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dapzilla
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at this resort for 6 days in July. My mom had passed away recently and we wanted to go somewhere to relax and get away. We got the complete opposite. There was a huge communication barrier. There were issues ordering food and drinks, asking questions, and reporting issues. The rooms were dirty, hair all over floor, and gross stuff all over the bathroom walls. I rather not know what it was. Housekeeping didn't come to clean the room until 10pm. They are stingy on towels, the one day they took all the ones we had and never replaced them. The food has no flavor and the drinks are not good. The beach is disappointing because of how much seaweed there is. You would expect a clean and clear beach going somewhere like this. The pool was small and was not maintained well. We swam in it anyways along with all the bugs that were floating everywhere. If you want an adult only getaway, this is not the place to go, even though it claims to be adults only resort. It's technically a resort split into two (Secrets and Now Laminar). You can go to Now Laminar and dine, but there you will experience the presence of all the kids. Also, the dining is not worth the hour or so wait each time we wanted to try a new restaurant. At the buffet, there was a roach crawling around near the grill area and flies everywhere. We talked to many people there that were experiencing the same issues. I wish I had something positive to say, but unfortunetly nothing seemed to go good. This was by far the worst experience we have ever had on a vacation. I will never come back to this resort or the Dominican Republic.

4  Thank jabouan
Resident_Mgr_Asst, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for your genuine feedback of the beautiful Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

Since you have stayed with us in July 2011 we have had a big change until now in the perfection of our Service quality. We regret that you were not able to enjoy our hotel as expected, while you were staying with us.

In the meantime, we have hired an English teacher to provide English lessons for our Staff. As well we have recruited two awarded executive chefs from Spain to provide excellent food quality. Furthermore a Training and Development Director supervises and controls the Service Standards within the Resort.

We would like to apologise once again for the disappointments you encountered during your stay and we hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore your faith in us.
However, we are sorry for not being given the opportunity to fix the situation on-site, because we were not informed about your discomfort.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and if there is ever anything that we can do for you please let us know.

Yours sincerely,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Av. Alemania S/N,
El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach
Prov. La Altagracia,
República Dominicana

Reviewed 13 August 2011

It was our first time to the DR or the Caribbean for that matter. My boyfriend & I stayed here for a week in July and we had a wonderful time! The weather was beautiful, sunny, blue skies (it only rained a couple days, but only for about 10 minutes or so). The water was gorgeous, almost turquoise and warm to swim and snorkel in. There were a lot of reviews about the seaweed in the water and on the beach. It really wasn't a big deal. Some days there was more than others, but it was more like sea grass, not seaweed.
The room was nice, just like the pictures posted in other reviews. We were on the 1st floor close to the plaza and front building. There wasn't any excessive noise from music playing at night. It made it actually convenient to go to the bar and the plaza for drinks and also to go next door to their sister resort Now Larimar. The nice thing about Secrets RB is it's adult-only, that's why we booked here and next door was mostly families. We could venture to their side, but they couldn't come to our side. That was cool. What I thought was strange, was that on the Secrets side, the bar closed at midnight, but on the Now side they have a casino and a night club that stay open till about 2/3 am. I guess they want the Secrets side to stay more upscale.
We mostly went down to the beach every day. We didn't go in the lazy river/pool at all. The beach was great! Either on the palm side or the palapa side, was all nice. Some days we didn't go to the beach till later in the afternoon and we didn't have trouble finding a lounge chair. If you want a palapa though, I would suggest going down early and putting your towels under the one you want. Some of them need to be cut back as laying under them you can't see the beach. Everyday they have activities on the beach, such as volleyball and dance lessons. You should get a flyer in your room with all the activities for the next day.
Another thing we enjoyed was the people who work at both resorts. They are great people and although we had a little trouble with the language barrier we did OK. They spoke a little English and we spoke a little Spanish. They actually taught us some words, so that was cool. We got to know a lot of the cocktail waitresses & bartenders, to name a few, Heydi, Ana, Justina (bartender @ casino), Willy (@ the beach bar), Andres 3000. Great people - talk to them, learn their stories, and make some new friends. I did read a lot of reviews on bringing the maids presents, so your room would be clean, but I ended up giving a lot to the people we met and talked to everyday. We did also tip a little bit, a $1 here, $1 there. I think at the most we tipped maybe $5 to someone. We didn't spend an enormous amount on tipping. The staff does work 12 days on, 3 days off & most of them live 3-4 hours away from the resort. I wish I could keep in contact with them as they were such nice people, but they don't have internet/email. Everyone is super friendly and they will say "hola" passing you & ask how you are doing, when they reply, they always say "Excellente!"
The only downside is our room wasn't consistent on when it was cleaned. There was maybe 2 days in a row where they either didn't come or they came really late, like past 8pm to clean it. We did complain and they compensated us with a Cabana for the day on the beach. That was really nice.

We would definitely go again. It was a nice getaway and very relaxing. Service was great, food so-so, and scenery was awesome!

**TIPS: Definitely bring high SPF sunscreen, you will get burnt. Also, mosquito repellant w/ deet (they have stronger mosquitoes there that if you don't have the strong stuff you will get bit). We had to buy some while we were there because our spray wasn't working, and it was $14. Another good tip is to bring a spray bottle, fill it with bottled water and use it to cool you down on the beach. Helped out a lot because it was really hot. Bring Pepto & Tums. Bring some Aloe.
Women - dresses! I wore a dress every single day we were there. Day or night, it feels a lot cooler than to be constricted with capris or shorts for that matter.
Men – we saw some guys dressed in shorts and sandals at dinner, but others were dressed up. My BF wore khakis & a button down shirt for dinner.
The buffets were casual, shorts, sandals; cover-ups for women, flip-flops all were appropriate. We actually went to a lot of these, as we didn’t want to get dressed up.

2  Thank alisonisky
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Highly recommended if you want tranquility, pampering in a stress free environment. We believe the secret of Secret's is the subliminal music that is played throughout the resort complex. Very relaxing and soothing to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have a lot to say about my recent trip to Punta Cana and Secrets Royal Beach, but I'm going to try to make it short.

Check in was quick and easy. Our room wasn't ready for a couple hours after we arrived, but that gave us enough time to go to the beach and walk around a little bit. They gave us champagne, hot towels, and explained the resort and the sister resort, Now Larimar. We had paid for an ocean-view room, which I don't think is necessary. If I were to go back, I would just do a pool-view because of the way the buildings are set up you don't really get a view of the ocean unless you go out on your balcony and look out side-ways.

No problem getting a chair at the beach any days, even under a palapa. There was always a breeze so the temperature was great. There is a lot of activity on the beach and in the water, so it's not really quiet. We didn't have any trouble relaxing and reading though. There is a lot of sea weed, too much for me to swim in the ocean but my husband and several other people didn't mind. We spent most of our time at the beach and loved it!

The pool was always clean and a great temperature. We got in a couple times during our stay.

We tried 4 restaurants - the Asian, Italian, French, and American grill, as well as the buffet at Secrets. We each liked the dishes we got at all. However, there was some confusion when we went to Spice, the Asian restaurant. At first we sat at a table away from the Hibatchi grill. Then we found out those seats only served Chinese and some other Asian foods, but if you wanted Sushi and Japanese foods you had to sit at the Hibatchi grill. We were sooo embarrassed when we had to ask to be moved because we wanted the Japanese foods. The food at the hibatchi grill was the best we had at the resort!

My husband ended up sick on the second day (diarrhea) and I ended up with stomache issues on the 4th day. However, we had PeptoBismol and were sooo glad for that. We had also taken an antibiotic and anti-nausea medicine with us but didn't need it.

Other comments: beach/pool towels are available at the water activities area. Any time we left the resort, even to go to the Now side, we had to show our room key to get back to Secrets. Our room always had plenty of towels and wash cloths.

We booked an excursion through Apple while we were there - Bavaro Runners. That was great and I plan to write a more detailed review for it.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple