“excelenta place to stay, loved the staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Belleville, Michigan
“excelenta place to stay, loved the staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

This place was perfect in everyway, the food was great, the hotel was clean, the staff were the most friendliest people we ever met, The entertainment was great, Staying here was like staying at 2 resorts, for the price of one. with the Now Larimar next door, Would totaly recomend this place to anyone who is looking for a kid free zone.

Room Tip: pool side is very nice,
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ablueyeddevil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Four of us started our vacation (4/9) at Now Larimar. On Thursday morning, a paper was slipped under our door asking us if we wanted to spend Fri Sat and Sun at Secrets next door. We did a quick tour of the property and said yes. This is an adults only resort. It's smaller and a lot more quiet than Now Larimar. The food is a little better also. The grilled grouper at Oceana was wonderful. I had a burger at their beach side grill that was very good.

Someone needs to tell the landscapers that you shouldn't be running leaf blowers at 10:30 on a Sunday morning. Instead of using lawnmowers to cut the grass, they were using weed wackers which threw the grass into the pool. There was a pool attendant trying to scoop up the grass but missed a good portion of it. The pool was kind of filthy in parts. Other than the pool issues, Secrets wasn't that bad. Staff and entertainment were excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in 4238 which overlooked the free form pool-nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank gjet72
Bloomington, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Duration: 7 nights

Room (Junior Swim-up Suite): Absolutely gorgeous, huge room. Large shower, clean bathroom. Hot tub on the porch. We were right off the main pool put connected to the free form pull that wrapped around the resort. Close to the beach. Couldn't have asked for a better location for my room.

Service: We had 4 memorable people that we interacted with during our trip. Theodore was the 'butler service' when we had a beach cabanna, he was fantastic and made that day great. Quick with drinks and ice for our drinks, brought us fresh fruit and food. Very friendly and did a great job. Junior(pool side wait staff) took care of us while we relaxed outside our room in the free form pool, very attentive and nice. There wasn't a time when I had an empty drink. Zamora was the best waiter we had. We interacted with him almost daily when we were eating lunch and breakfast. He remembered who we were and made a point to make sure we had everything we needed. Speedy was the only entertainment person that we could find on the Secrets side. He was very energetic. Remembered who we were and was fun to hang out with on the beach.

Unfortunately, other service individuals created issues with our stay. First of all, I understand that this is a destination for many different countries but there was a very large communication barrier with majority of the staff. I asked for ketchup and they asked if Chili Sauce was what I wanted. Don't plan on requesting anything different then what is on the menu because they will not understand. Secondly, there was 7 in our group total, our concierge recommended we make reservations, our first concierige did a great job and we walked into the resteraunts when he said our reservation would be made. About mid-way through the trip we got a new concierge and she would call and confirm our reservations but when walking into the resteraunt they knew nothing of it. Very frustrating! Third, we booked a king room and got two beds, we dealt with it(pushed together) since we had a great location and there were 2 other rooms with us and we wanted to be close(1 of those rooms also didn't have their requested king).

Food: The food was about the same as it was when we went to Sandals Ochos Rios but no where as good as it is on a Carnival Cruise. We ate at every a la carte restaurants(Secrets and Now Larimar side) every evening for dinner and did the buffets for pretty much every lunch and breakfast. As mentioned earlier don't try to customize your meal or it will send them out of wack and you won't know what you are getting. The meals seemed to drag on forever(1.5 hours) but since we were on vacation it wasn't a big deal.

Entertainment: AWFUL, other than the couple beach activities(vball and yoga) there wasn't any entertainment staff on the Secrets side at all, no pool activites at all. The nightly entertainment was pretty bad other than a couple nights. The casino was alright(2 blackjack tables, 2 roulette wheels, and a couple other card tables. The staff there was very rude, never smiled, and same language barrier.

Beach/pool: Was amazing, beach was very clean and they did a great job keeping the kids off of it. The pool area was very nice and clean but I would've liked to seen a little more entertainment around it. The free no power water sports was a nice addition. The seapro people were very friendly and were not that pushy/salesy.

Overall: It was good vacation I was relaxed and enjoyed myself. I just kept reminding myself I wasn't at work. I believe I will probably cruise again before going to another all-inclusive. Taking the good and the bad the vacation was right in-line with my expectations of an all-inclusive. Some great things, some not so great things but would I recommend this maybe, but I do not believe I would tell someone not to go here.

Room Tip: Swim up junior suite in the room range of 4180-4174(even only rooms) would be the best bet
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mike M
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I visited this property for a wedding in the second week of April 2012. We were originally supposed to stay at the NOW Larimar next door, but NOW was apparently overbooked so they upgraded those of us who were travelling without children to Secrets. This was a very pleasant surprise for us as we were able to use the facilities at both resorts. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort.

GROUNDS: Were beautiful. I loved walking along the free-form pool to the buffet or beach. As a plant lover I also appreciated the signs identifying various plants. The resort was well-kept, not a stray piece of garbage to be seen. The plaza was a very nice place to sit in the evenings with a pina colada. The pool is lovely, it goes around in a big loop so you can swim all the way around.

ROOM: Our room (5119) was nice and big with two double beds, a mini-bar area and a little seating area. We were on the ground floor and had a little patio which was somewhat secluded by some tropical bushes. It was nice to sit out there and enjoy some peace and quiet (though in the evenings we could hear the music from the plaza). The jacuzzi was out on the balcony as well... we felt secluded enough because of the bushes and it was behind a little wall, but others might not be comfortable using it without bathing suits. Our bathroom was also nice and big, double sinks, and the shower stall was large enough that we could hang our bathing suits up on one end and have a shower without re-wetting them. The toilet and bidet were behind a separate door which was also nice. The beds were comfortable and on the firm side. The air conditioning worked fine, but the room was still somewhat damp because of the humidity - with the ceiling fan on it didn't bother us. There was a bit of a damp smell in the room, incense was provided but we didn't use it as it didn't bother us. Next time I would try and book a room that looked onto the pool as it would be very nice to swim out there in the mornings.

STAFF: Our room was cleaned about 3pm every day - there was one day it was missed but this was because we were in the room at that time and we didn't call for them to come back because it was not a big deal to us. We always had fresh towels, the mini-bar was stocked every day with beer, soft drinks, rum, wine and chips. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Every time we asked for something it was taken care of promptly. We tried to tip most times, but on the occasion when we forgot or didn't have money with us, the quality of our service was still just as good.

FOOD: We really liked the Secrets buffet. As a vegetarian, I was a bit concerned that I would find enough to eat but I needn't have been - there was plenty for me. Every meal there are abundant breads, cheeses, fresh fruit and salad fixings, plus many different other things. For breakfast - several types of eggs, yoghurts, meats, potatoes, sweet breads, an omelette station, and a fresh juice/smoothie station. For lunch there was always a nacho station, several hot dishes, soups (I liked the gazpacho best) and a sandwich station. Dinner has a different international theme each night, and there is always a "vegetarian corner" with a few different veggie options in addition to the other stuff on the buffet. For buffet food, the quality was quite good. We didn't care for the a la cartes as much - they were ok, but the quality wasn't any better than on the buffet and for me there was much less choice (usually only one veggie option available). We only tried the Seaside Grill, and Castaways on the Now side. We also ate at the Now buffet once - a lot bigger than Secrets, but we preferred the atmosphere of Secrets. We usually tried to sit outside because you get a great view of the beach and ocean. We ordered pizza from room service once, which was ok.

DRINKS: Mixed drinks were VERY strong and some were very sweet. I tried the drinks of the day and enjoyed most. I always had good service at the bars and on the beach - if you want a drink immediately it is faster to go up to the bar than wait for the beach attendants to come around (they do a great job, but they have to serve a fair number of people!). We brought travel mugs and no one minded filling them for us. Drinks were not always made the same way each time - different bartenders make things differently - but so what? They were always boozy and tasty.

BEACH: Was just lovely. Two areas on the beach - one with palapas and one with palm trees for shade, both were nice. It was no problem getting towels but we found we didn't need them to dry off or wrap up in as it was so warm. The water was beautiful, and yes there was some seaweed but it's not slimy or smelly, most of it is just like grass. They do a good job of raking it up too and it didn't bother me in the least.

All in all it was an excellent vacation; any problems we experienced were so minor that they didn't matter. Would definitely go back.

7 Thank Anna S
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I enjoyed staying at Secrets because of the friendly staff and great pool bar. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The food got a bit boring after 2 days and the a la cartes are not the best. The asian fusion restaurant was horrible so I stuck to going to the buffet at dinner and the french restaurant twice during my stay. The breakfast was the best try the little croissants. The drinks were good and the bartenders always friendly. I will not hesitate to go back to this resort again and again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kimchee80
northern ont.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was my wife and I 5th trip to Punta Cana and 2nd time secrets and not our last.Check in was very easy,we were given our cool towel and champagne and a rose for the wife was a nice touch.We were in room 5147 the perfect room we hope to get it next year.Thanks to Isobel for keeping the room clean and giving us fresh towels every day,aswell as the person who kept minni bar stock.Now as far as Junior,Angel,Carlos andthe rest of pool staff they made it the best vacation ever. Speedy and his crew are also included in this.We ate most of our meals at La Riviera [buffe] lots to chose from the beach grill burgers are so good they melt in our mouth.Also had a great steak and chicken dinner at Seaside Grill.The evening show in the secret plaza is good for older and younger couples and the Chris Billzard show was one of the things that made us come back as well as the coffee they serve at the plaza.We have been home only afew days and weall of you already.thank you for every thing see you next April.

Room Tip: 5147 poolveiw is perfect
4 Thank sunspots32
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

my husband and i, we stayed in the hotel from december 25, 2011 till january 4, 2012 and we loved it !
we went already in the dominican republic 9 times, but first time in this hotel.
all the hotels was 5 star hotels, but this hotel is one of the best or maybe the best we was stayed. I can't belive the negative reviews.
the rooms are big, new, nice, clean and comfortable. some people wrote, the rooms smelled bad. hey, this is the caribbean, here is a very high air moisture......this is nature.
the same problem with the seaweed. the hotel staff is cleaning the beach every day. i can say the same, this is nature and sea. in sea are seaweed. so where is the problem ? if outside on the high sea is a storm, come more seaweed to hotel. why is the hotel guilty ?
the motorboats (parasail, speedboats, excursions ) question is the same too. the sea is no hotel....
the pool area is big and wonderful. we loved all the bridges, so cute.
the food. i'm very-very picky, but the food is so great ! at the buffet entrance can you desinfect your hands. i have never see befor. we loved the main buffet. every day different food and very good.
the staff is so cool and nice. after one sip from your glas come someone nice guy and refill it. on the afternoon was the main buffet closed, but every day i get a great espresso if i asked. this is not as matter of course.
the new eve buffet and the party was so awsome ! so beautiful. so great decoration. thank you !
the service on the beach was top. every day fresh pineapples, coconut. and barbeque.
the night beach party with band is a really cool idea.
the rooms service is good too. all of the world must be waiting a little bit for coming if the hotel is full. c'mon this is vacation, you can wait a little bit.
all the guys from the staff we met was very friendly with a big smile. thank you ! i think the problem is, some people come here and think everyone who here works is a own butler. this is so bad. look inside ! if you are friendly, the staff is friendly too. this is all and this is not only a tip question.
the staff speaks very good english comparison with other hotels. who says not good enough, - learn spanish.
we personally enjoyed the chill-out music on evening. if we needed more trouble we went to the sister hotel.
Thank you so much Mr. Alcaraz for the late check-out on our last day ! You're so great !
we loved this hotel and we come back ! Thank you !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple