“It was ok, but beware of pushy sales people.”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta
“It was ok, but beware of pushy sales people.”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Resort was clean and nice. Our room was spacious and shower was great, but the lighting was horrible. There is no "ocean view" room, unless you count standing on tiptoes and peering through trees. I would only recommend getting a swim up pool room. The only way to get a seat near the pool is to make friends with a staff member, or have a "swim up" room. Staff was moderately attentive, but usually made you feel like they were doing you a favor. Food was mediocre. Stay away from all "reception" area staff - they are trying to sell vacation club memberships and do not take no for an answer. Do not go in April - the ocean and beach is FULL of seaweed.

Room Tip: Definitely - the "swim up" pool room is the only decent spot.
2 Thank Stacey B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,498)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
oak lawn
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Can't say enough about the resort employees. They all went out of their way to make you feel comfortable, at home, and involoved in any activity that you chose to want to be involved in. Special mention to Michael and Speedy. These two guys were especially energetic, had a love of people and their country and their job. They were contagious in their job and made you want to get up and be involved in activites. I will never forget them.
The food was ok-plentiful but repetitious.
The only bad thing I can say is our room had a terrible musty oder and yoou could not change the settings on your room controls-they were at a constant setting.
The security staff were everywhere from one end of the property to the other and on the access road. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Room Tip: We were along the access road right off the retsaurant area. Not sure if all rooms were musty.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank family7OakLawn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my second time visiting Secrets Royal Beach. I fell in love with it the first time I was there. I must say, I am never disappointed. I truly feel like I am in my second home when I arrive on the grounds and am an adopted family member once I enter the building. What you see online is truly what you get in person. I had a wonderful time yet again. The staff was very professional, extremely accommodating, always had a great attitude and were just a joy to be around!!!! This treatment was received from the time I entered the premises and was demonstrated from staff throughout the entire resort to include the bellboys, the check-in/reception area, the concierges, the bartenders, the housekeeping staff, the minibar stocking staff, the snack bar staff, and the restaurant area staff (to include the hostesses, waiters, managers, and those that do the prep work/cooking). Employees at the resort truly make an effort to make you feel like you are the Queen/King of the world and want to make sure you are pleased, happy, and have no stress. I was also very impressed by the fact that efforts are made to learn and remember your name. That does not happen too many places and not too often. By the time you leave the resort, you feel as if you have known the staff for years….even though it may have only been a few days….lol. The grounds were beautiful, breathtaking, well kept, secure, and only accessible to guests. The restaurants offered a great variety of cuisine that was always tasty, fresh, and hot off the grill. Anything you could possibly want was available. The rooms were a good size and offered various amenities along with cleaning twice a day. All in all, my stay was great. I would not trade my experience for the world. Going to the D.R. has been a dream come true and being at Secrets Royal Beach made it even better. Everything was well organized and the staff provided superb service. I would definitely go again.

I would like to the time to acknowledge and thank various staff that made my stay an awesome, breathtaking, and memorable experience: Randel, Ramon, Theodore, Santa, Arielius, Raul, Jhon, Wilmi, Bermuda, Hipolito, Yirelus, Ana, Franchesca, Joel, Nelis, Elizabeth, Antonio, Zamora, Hemeregildo, Alberto, Santo, Miguel, Juan Carlos, Felix, Jencen, Rolando, Menquis, Nelson, Alexis, Oscar, Victor, Carmen, Jacqueline, Medrano, and Rossell.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank capcorn3
London, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The layout of the resort makes for a serene vacation. Most of the a la cartes are on the family side Now Larimar which is part of the whole Secrets/Now Larimar resort. The buffet on the Secrets side is very good but we found the food at the a la cartes did not come close to comparing to the Dreams in Mexico which is part of the same chain. The food is enjoyable but not 5 star dining. I would put it on par with any roadhouse type food chain. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

We opted for an ''ocean view'' room. There was a view of the ocean from the balcony but I would not have paid extra for it. The rooms closest to the ocean were the most far removed from the entertainment at night though so were very quiet. They are also closest to the swim up bar which is the source of the entertainment during the day so can be a bit louder at that time. All in all the Secrets Adults only side is far quieter and more intimate than the family Now side.

If you are looking for sun then you want a room on the north side as the south side rooms, especially ground floor, are heavily shaded for most of the day with the building and vegetation.

They will hit you up at check in and again if you give them the opportunity to attend a ''free lunch'' meeting for the Ultimate Vacation Club. We skipped it because we didn't want to waste our vacation and saw through the guised sale tactics. It is a time share. Google it and read up about it before spending a couple hours of your vacation on a sales pitch.

We had money taken from our safe but I forgot to lock it. That can happen anywhere.

The biggest tell tale sign of any resort, would I go back? Yes if the price was right but I would certainly entertain other resorts in Punta Cana or be willing to go elsewhere as well. If the price was the same I would take the Mayan Dreams over the Punta Cana Secrets.

Room Tip: Closest to the beach is quieter at night. The north side gets more sun. No bad rooms really.
5 Thank Rok67
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The place is huge. I brought high heels but wouldn't even consider putting them on. We had a beautiful room right down by the beach, there was a few restaurants down there but all the others and the night time entertainment were up in the square. Food was ok, nothing great. Breakfast was the best meal. Don't bother with the lobster party on the beach. Almost everyone sent the lobster back because it was mealy. Spa Ok, nothing great.

2 Thank edmooreadv
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Let me preface my review by saying this was our first visit to a resort and also our first time away from our kids (both under age 10). We spent countless hours on tripadvisor reading the good and the bad - and frankly stressing before arriving because of it.

This trip was amazing. Honestly, after spending a week in paradise, I can't imagine how anyone could fault this resort on anything. Well, actually I can and that's because some people just need to complain to be happy. Remember that when you're reading other reviews.

As many others have stated, the brochure/literature for this resort list many restaurants and entertainment venues (casino, sports bar, nightclub) but much of this is at the Now Larimar, a separate AMResorts property next door. Secrets Royal Beach has 2 restaurant, a buffet, and a burger grill on the beach for lunch. Check the brochure (http://www.amresorts.com/media/QRG/qrg_serpc.pdf) for the times and dress codes. We ate once on the Now side at the Italian restaurant but it's not the same kind of service you get if you stay at Secrets. Paper napkins, food not as good - oh boy, do I sound like a snob or what?

We travelled with another couple and arrived very late, sometime after midnight. Unfortunately, our swim up rooms weren't available but we got them the next day and they more than made up for the inconvenience. We ended up in side by side swim up rooms (we were in room 5165) which had lots of sun and we were close to the restaurants. The room was clean, had a stocked fridge, and the water pressure in the shower was incredible. There was plenty of shampoo, conditioner, and SPF 15 sunscreen in the bathroom (we used SPF 60 so we didn't touch the house sunscreen). We did run out of face clothes but who wouldn't when you're showering 3 times a day. However we brought some with us to tide us over in case - no big deal.

The mini bar had Presidente, lots of water, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, other pop, a bottle of rum, and a can of Pringles chips. One day when we met the mini bar guy in the hall, he asked if we liked the beer and then must've squeezed a dozen cans in there.

The lazy river pool doesn't have a current so you just paddle your way along. The only time we saw any grass in the pool was right after they did their mowing. It was practically gone by the next day. There was fresh fruit on the tables along the pool and the bartenders regularly came around to take drink orders. We dealt mostly with Angel E and Junior. Great guys.

Liquor was excellent. Not just Presidente beer and Brugal rum. They had tons of brands of everything. Not that I'm picky, I'll drink anything that's wet, but I drank mostly Coors Light and Corona, Johnny Walker (Black), and Bacardi. My wife drank margaritas and daiquiris and water (booo).

Food was excellent as well. We ate a lot at the buffet which had different varieties of food out day by day but the staples were always available. My wife isn't a terribly picky eater but certain foods upset her stomach - she, nor I for that matter, had any issues whatsoever. The Seaside Grill has great steaks - try it. For some reason we never tried the Oceania restaurant - guess we should've stayed longer. Next time for sure. Again, make sure you know the times the restaurants open. I watched as one woman (a young woman) take a tantrum because she wanted to eat lunch at the buffet at 12 but it only opened at 12:30. Staff were professional and she stormed off. Hahaha, brat.

We never had any issues getting chairs on the beach but if you want a pool chair (and you don't have a swim up room), good luck. There's supposed to be a rule that chairs can't be reserved before 8am but they are. If you want a particular chair that you know was reserved before 8, as in you're looking at it at 8am, just ask a staff member and the chair is yours. We didn't need to do that but I spoke with a gentleman and his wife that said they'd do that and it was okay. Palapa chairs on the beach, same thing. Other chairs on the beach were come and go all day long.

We booked the private beach cabana (with service) but the weather was iffy so they happily moved us to the next day. It was okay - the best part was the 5 minute back, shoulder, and neck massage that came with it. We booked a couples Swedish massage immediately afterwards. It was incredible and we'd totally recommend it.

The beach was clean. Yes, there's some seaweed in the water but not enough to phase a couple Nova Scotians. People are regularly cleaning up empty cups, etc. There weren't people bugging you on the beach either - just the odd para sailing offer or photographer. Say no thanks and poof they're gone. We did do the para sailing and it was fun.

Some say language was a real barrier here and, yes, some of the cleaning staff could only speak Spanish. Everyone else was fine. At one point I asked the chef at the beach BBQ something and he called over someone that could speak English. I'm fine with that.

We didn't eat the lobster dinner because, well... it didn't look like lobster to us. It's probably fine - buy it if you want. :)

So, in closing, we'd love to go back someday. We couldn't have imagined a better first vacation away from the kids. If you book, I can almost certainly assure you a wonderful stay. Unless you're like that whiny woman I mentioned - I'm pretty sure she's never happy.

Room Tip: Splurge and get the swim up room.
6 Thank Mike C
Buffalo
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I just traveled to Secrets Royal Beach during the week of April 9th-15th, 2012. We had a wonderful time and would recommend this resort. The rooms (we stayed on the top floor in an ocean view room) were spacious, well-cleaned, had great views, and the mini bar was always stocked. The beach was beautiful and was always cleaned. The staff on the beach and in the restaurants were efficient. The restaurants on the Secrets side were very good, much better than the NOW side as far as food and service goes. Guests staying at NOW do not have access to the Secrets side so it's way less crowded at these facilities as well.

The only negative thing I would have to say about the Secrets side is that the pool was not conducive to having many people sit there. There were very few lounge chairs and they were taken by 8 am everyday. We usually like to sit at the pool, however, the beach here was so wonderful that we sat there everyday without a complaint. There is no night entertainment on the Secrets side so you always have to go to the NOW side, which really wasnt that big of a deal. Most of the staff can understand English, however, be prepared to have some language barriers if you dont speak Spanish. My husband and I speak a little but we had a few difficulites at the restaurants trying to order and with trying to call the front desk. It really wasnt that big of an issue, however.

Guests of Secrets can also use facilities at NOW. If you do not want to be around children, I would stay away from their beach and pool during the day. Tons of kids! We wanted an adults only resort so we only went over there a few times during the day for lunch. We did go over there a few nights for dinner though. Food and service was not as good as Secrets side. In fact, I got really sick our last night there from something I ate on the NOW side. The restaurants were very crowded. We had to wait to be seated the majority of the time. Entertainment at night was great on the NOW side though.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Secrets Royal Beach to someone that wants to relax on the beach. Stay on the Secrets side as much as possible.

Room Tip: We love a great view so we paid for an ocean view room. If you like that as well, I would recommend...
1 Thank AshleyCady