“Review of Secrets Royal Beach”

Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Review of Secrets Royal Beach”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Beautiful Hotel and grounds, groomed and well maintained. Room was excellent with an awesome walk-in shower.

Unbelievable friendly staff, High energy, always smiling and happy to see you.

I would especially would like to complememt the Entertainment group and pool bar staff. They are the best.

Fidel leads the entertainment group through an entire day of events and games. Can't figure out when he ever sleeps. They make the games fun for all and the shows are great. His team of Usher, Mozart, Milkey Way, Jose, and Karen are the best. And man they can dance!!!

Pool and beach staff were also very friendly. They make great drinks and very attentive. Thank you Jose, Joel, Dominco, Juan, Angel, Junior, and Santa!!

Beautiful Spa facility

Food "okay".

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Greg B

Recieve cordial greetings from the entire staff of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

There are no words to express my most sincere grattitude about your valuable and helpfull comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

I feel very happy that you encountered our service optimus during your entire stay with us, your recognition is very important to increase the hotel value.

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,497)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My overall impression of the resort service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and always greeted us with a smile. This was one of the best resorts we have ever visited. The entertainment was excellent also. Karen, Cheveron, and Mozart stood out because they made you feel at home and comfortable. They easily engaged you in activities, always with a smile. In fact, everyone greeted you with a smile - Ola. The food staff in all of the restruants were friendly and great. We also think that Papo (the saxaphone player)that played in the evening is Excellent and should be making music for sale.
We would say that the people, accommodations, food, and entertainment are EXCELLENT!!

Room Tip: Our room was pool side, excellent
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bernard R
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Bernard R

Recieve warm greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you so much for you wonderful feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

I feel very happy that you had a memorable experience in our hotel and I hope that you had enjoyed all the benefits at all.

in Secrets Royal Beach we have a motivated team, who do the best every day to give to all our guests an unforgettable sensations as well.

I love it i you join us once again, If that happens I will be pleased to meet you personnally.

Yours faithfully

Bucharest
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The overall impression about the hotel is that the services and the food are exquisite.
Of course everything is very, very clean so I won’t insist on this.
The rest is a little dull.

Now, step – by – step (please be advised that this review will be quite long so be armed with patience):

The beach: the sand is so white!!! The waters are very shallow and very easy to swim in. A little seaweed, but not annoying. They do try to clean up the beach all the time. And it is nothing dirty, just some natural grass. Shouldn’t be a problem for any normal person. There is of course a beach volleyball court. Activities on the beach are OK, and the entertainment team always has some games there. NOT ONLY at the pool, which is a good thing.
The beach is quite narrow, given that the hotel is on Bavaro Beach, where there are tens of resorts one near the other, each of them being very long (from the sea to the main road) but quite narrow (along the beach). The beach has a left side with palapas provided shadow and a right side only with plam trees protecting the sunbeds. This right part has not really very good shadow.
About 65% were Americans. The rest Europeans. Everybody was prudish. Do not expect to see and thongs or topless women (maybe except for my wife , who was a bit disappointed by this).
A very big plus is that there are motorized water sports AND excursions right the beach, directly on the sea. No need to pay for a half or full day excursion to see sharks and stingrays or to snorkel (the kind of excursion that is advertised everywhere: going 2 hrs by bus from the hotel in the morning, staying on a boat full of people way too many hours, having a few stops at the key points, and then returning for another 2 hours by bus to the hotel). You can ask for a 2 hours excursion to Sharks&stingrays, snorkel and natural swimming pool in a small boat (10-12 pers) that will pick you up right from the beach in front of the hotel. Great value for the money because there is no time waste.

The pool: well..the lazy river is nice, but much too small for the crowded areas near the bar and beach. The pool volleyball area is too narrow also. The pool wet bar is nice, yet again too small.

The rooms are nice. Nothing spectacular, but nice and new. Although the private Jacuzzi on the balcony has no real intimacy, as the balcony parapet is made of transparent glass!!! Big architectural mistake. It is an adult only hotel, so imo it should offer people the possibility to stay naked in their room or balcony, without being concerned that the people from outside could see them. Imagine you want to sit naked on your balcony and smoke a cigar. This is not really possible….Too bad.
The quality of the materials in the rooms is good, but on the outside the quality of plaster and paiting on the walls is poor.

Hotel grounds are very beautiful because they have been very carefully designed, yet imo too “rigid”, or too artificially designed. All the alleys and trees look very nice, but it seemed to us that a “warmer touch” was needed.

The evening shows are typical for this type of resorts and OK. Nothing bad, nothing very good.Just OK. The good thing is that the shows are performed in an open plaza, so anyone can sit at a table under the sky and enjoy a drink and a cigar.

So until now, nothing is spectacular and definetly not 5 stars. I would say maximum 4 stars. The drawdown is also given by the poor quality of the outside finishing of the walls.

Now, the really impressive part is Food and restaurant services. The food is really top quality and imo hard to beat by other resort. I am not necessarily talking about diversity (because there is no need to), but for the QUALITY of the food. I really recommend the Seaside Grill a-la-carte restaurant and its perfect Skirt Stake!!! Best stake ever! (not big, just tasty)

The waiters have been trained to never let you have the glass empty. They always ask you if you want anything else. And there was never too much asking.

The drinks - even if advertised as international premium, do not expect to find – for example- Johnnie Walker Black Label. JB perhaps. In the room there are no drinks for you except for the water, cola and beer in the mini-fridge. This is also not appropriate for a 5-star advertised hotel, with A.I. international premium drinks.

One small complaint with the concierge person from the Seaside Grill, who, one evening when I came with my wife at 22.00 to eat (the restaurant closes at 23.00), when she saw us she (joking or not) showed us the watch and said that they would close at 23.00, and told us that we shouldn’t have come that late. First of all, as long as she was at the door expecting guests and the restaurant was open, her remarks were totally stupid. Secondly it was impolite to show me the watch and say those things. I discussed this with the main concierge of the hotel and they apologized.

The entertainment team was GREAT. They were present everywhere, from morning till 23.30 in the night. And they were really entertaining. Many thanks to all: Cheveron, Mozzart Jackson, Milky Way, Usher, Akon.

So, our overall impression is that the hotel is nice, but just that. If you find a very good offer / deal, then it is worth going. Otherwise, the hotel is way overpriced.

For us it seemed that - even it is adult only – it fully lacks the smallest sensual or sexy feeling.
Even the hotel lobby, which should be an impressive building, with big spaces and architectural center pieces, well…is also kind of dull. Just a 3 star-type hotel lobby.

To be honest, we think it is more suitable for adults coming in big groups as corporate - for team buildings - than for couples.

Oohh, and the internet...SERIOUSLY?? No free Wi-Fi? in 2013? at this price for a room? Come on guys. 25$/day / 1 device? or 60$/week? This is a rip off.

Our rating is only 3/5 because of the overall feeling not adults only, but more like corporate. Too sober!!! Too business and artificial, and no sensual or sexy atmosphere. But again, I would give 5/5 for the services and food quality, for who is interested in this.

We stayed 1 week at this hotel and another week at Excellence Punta Cana.

For who is interested, please also see my review about Excellence Punta Cana for a comparison.

Room Tip: We do not recommend any hotel on Bavaro Beach. It is too crowded and there is no real "tropical...
10 Thank ionutvasilescu
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 9 September 2013

It's been a week already and I want to go back. This is our third time in the hotel and is amazing as always, the way you're treated, the food is Excellent-the phrase you hear all day long- the cleanliness everywhere. They are constantly mopping, washing, cleaning the common areas, and rooms. The staff makes you feel like you are a millionaire for a week. My husband got sick and they prepared him a soup , just because he wasn't feeling well, and that you don't find if very often. The entertainment team is great; Milky Way will teach you how to dance at the riythm of the caribbean music, and the staff attending the beach area is awesome; specially Santa, my dear friend. Beach is great too. The only thing I did not agree with is charging for Internet service, which I think should be included at least for the secrets royal. Besides that it worth the trip 100%

Room Tip: Choose the pool and/ or garden view on first floor. I have stayed at the 2 and 3 floor and the first...
Dear vanela2013

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent vacations in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

It sounds wounderful that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities at all, also I feel very proud about your recognition to all my personnel, who strives every day to provide the best service to all our guests with high motivation.

it will be an honor if you join us once again where I could meet you personnally.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Myself and my wife went to secrets royal beach for our honeymoon. This is got to be the nicest places we have ever been. We had the swim up room which was lovely and kept very clean every day. The people are the most friendly we have ever came across anywhere. We would highly recommend this place we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear williamdavies1

Yours faithfully

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 10 days of sheer luxury spent at this resort. Like everyone else on this site I was at first a little wary of the negative reviews. Seriously I can not think of anything to fault at all. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with a wet towel and a glass of champagne. Check-in took 5 minutes and we left our luggage with the bell-boy and made our way to our room. The room was spotless. Our bags arrived within 5 minutes of us getting into the room and we unpacked and explored the resort. We can not comment at all on the Now Larimor part of the resort as we were so pleased with the Riviera restaurant buffet and the pool area & beach of the Secrets side that we never once ventured any further! We tried a couple of the a la carte restaurants - the seafood restaurant (Oceana) and the steakhouse restaurant (Sea Side grill). I wasn't that impressed with the food at the seafood restaurant, the food at the grill was good but my wife and I felt the service was better at the Riviera buffet. On that point, we have to mention Gilber, Wellington, Felix and Robinson Luiz who looked after us morning, noon and night and made sure we had everything we needed and our glass was never empty. Each time we walked into the restaurant they genuinely seemed pleased to see us again.
During the day we mixed it up between the pool and the beach. Never at any point was the seaweed (more accurate description would be sea grass) a problem. Yes it sometimes washed up on the beach but the last time I checked seaweed is a natural occurrence in any ocean? That said, there were staff brushing it up and collecting it in wheelbarrows.
Daily activities were fun and gave us the opportunity to make many new friends. The entertainment team (Mozart, Akon, Usher, Cheveron) ensured that no-one would get bored. I can't sit around on a lounger for too long so while my wife was reading her kindle I was trying out various activities, Actually my wife joined in a few times and even took part in the beach volleyball which I played twice a day every day! You get rewarded for taking part by getting vouchers and there are no losers, only runner ups so everyone gets vouchers. These vouchers can be used at the auction for bottles of rum, free massage, polo shirts and baseball caps. The beach volleyball was the most enjoyable activity for me and we made some new friends.. Mozart was probably the pick of the entertainment staff - "no talky talky - clappy clappy!" but everyone on the team worked really hard to make the honeymoon thoroughly entertaining. They really need to improve on their beach volleyball though as there was a guest v staff tournament and we beat them to each win a bottle of rum.
We were very sad to leave the resort - I can't comment on any of the excursions or shopping trip as we did not leave the resort once during the 10 days and that is a testimony to how much we enjoyed the resort.
The highlights of our trip were the beach party and foam party (where we both felt like teenagers again, if only for 1/2 an hour or so!) and our honeymoon breakfast where they brought us breakfast to the room and we ate it on the patio area.
We brought our own inflatable chairs having read reviews that the resort ones were hard to come by. I'm glad we brought them but it is by no means essential. As far as shaded loungers on the beach are concerned we were always able to get one even up to 09:30 which I don't consider to be particularly early.
On a general wellness perspective and referring to some of the reviews where people mentioned tummy bugs, sickness etc. I can only imagine that it was either a case of too much alcohol (there are people drinking from 9am to 11pm) or they didn't take the proper precautions before travelling (malaria tablets, jabs etc.). Neither myself or my wife felt ill during our stay and we ate all the seafood and drank nearly everything that was on offer.
We would (and will) recommend this resort with no hesitation to friends and family and hope to return sometime very soon ourselves.

Room Tip: Go for the swip up rooms, guaranteed loungers and just a jump away from the lazy river
2 Thank Mike_Lorie2013
Dear Mike_Lorie2013

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana, and thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our establishment.

On behalf of our entire personnel, we feel very pleasant that you enjoyed the hotel facilities at all.

Your comments are very important to increase the hotel value getting the best recognition as the best hotel in Punta Cana as well. We really appreciate if you can join us once again and it will be perfect if we can meet you personally as well, in that happens do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 14 night stay at this very special hote where the entire staff from the General Manager down could not have been more pleasant and charming, The staff watchword was excellente and was well chosen We were amazed by the quality and variety of food on offer from at least 8 different restaurants.,The real surprise was the quality of the entertainment in the evenings, where some of the shows equalled many we see in London's West End, Magicians,fire eaters and circus acts mingled with singers.creating a varied,convivial atmosphere in which to relax. The Entertainment team was exceptional in their enthusiasm for the daily range of day time activities which they promoted.Secrets are not supposed to be shared but this one is too good to keep to myself.

4 Thank Nigel C
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Nigel C

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana, and thank you for sharing your valuable comments about your recent stay in our establishment.

On behalf of our entire personnel, we feel very pleasant that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities at all.

Your comments are very important to increase the hotel value getting the best recognition as one of the best hotels in the Caribbean as well. We really appreciate if you can join us once again and it will be perfect if we can meet you personally as well, in that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

warm regards