“As good as it gets”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #8 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for 5 nights. We have been to resorts in Mexico, Virgin Islands, and the Dominican but this resort is by far the best weve been to. It all started with Jesus at the front desk. He was so helpful and informative. I actually got a little intoxicated one night and left our walkie talkie that we used to communicate with another couple we traveled with in one of the chairs at the resort and magically Jesus calls me the next day saying that they had it at the front desk waiting. The food was AMAZING. I am the type that gets sick at most non US destinations so I rarely eat foods that are outside my comfort zone, but at this place I felt comfortable eating everything because it was just so darn good. My best bud was Wilki who worked over at the Larimar. They need to make him a supervisor. He has the best attitude and understands just how to get people to relax and feel important. The room was good not great but who goes to the dominican for the room? The bed was very comfortable but I would have liked the tub to be inside instead of out on the balcony. The beach and the beach service was much more than I expected. I would say that the USVI offers a better view but you dont get near the ammenities that you get here. All four of us give this 5 stars and we will be back next year and bring the kids to the larimar sister hotel. Thank you Secrets for such a great time!

3  Thank Clint D
HotelManagerSERPC, Gerente at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Clint D
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We congratulated on your behalf our personnel of Secrets Royal Beach, for helping to make your stay memorable. We will look forward to welcoming you back again. In our hotel we are honoured to have customers like you.
Comments like yours give us strength to continue on our way, thank you for your warm words of support and encouragement, your message will be communicated to all staff to share the joy I felt when reading it.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (10,205)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Interesting! My review was deleted. I wrote to warn you all about the Unlimited Vacation club, Please feel free to private message me so I can fill you in! This resort does NOT compare to other Secret Resorts. The food, rooms, service, they are all poor in comparison. I purchased the vacation club as I thought I was getting something of value. Secrets Royal Beach is no where near 5 stars, maybe 3 at best! I think my review was deleted as I spoke the truth about the Vacation club they sell you. I have the silver membership, any one want to buy it from me? Didn't think so!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank KSKM
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear KSKM
We regret your unconformities with TA, we just want to clarify that the comments are removed or not under its criteria and that no individual or company has no such power.
Also we are sorry about your experience with third parties, but just wanted to clarify that this may not be the right forum for that and the main function of this tool is to talk about the hotel and its operations, so we will keep only with that part of your review and thank you for your point of view and apologizing for not reaching your expectations.
Respectfully,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I spent last week at Secrets Royal Beach for a friend's wedding. Secrets (and its sister property NOW Larimar) are incredibly beautiful and sprawling resorts with lush gardens and pools that seem to go on forever. They are also highly secured properties that seem to exist in their own worlds, which can be good or bad depending on the resort experience you want. I gave the resort a three star rating because I place an incredible premium on service at an all inclusive resort and I felt it was very hit or miss at Secrets (more on that later). I will also give full disclosure that I absolutely love Mexico and the overall ambience of the DR just didn't do as much for me as Mexico does. With that said....here are my pros and cons for Secrets Royal Beach:

PROS:

-As I said above, this property is INCREDIBLY beautiful. None of the hotels in Punta Cana are allowed to be taller than the palm trees so you don't have high rise hotels around blocking the sun (the days seem to last forever) or cluttering the beach. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and clean with staff members constantly out cleaning and improving the grounds.

-Some of the servers and staff members were AMAZING. They included Nelson at the beach grill, who was absolutely one of the best employees I have encountered at any resort anywhere and took total pride in his job, Fernando at the pool bar, and the hostess at the Riviera buffet who always greeted us with a smile and even waved at us when we weren't eating at Riviera. They definitely made up for some of the employees I'll talk about later in the resort.

-My friend's beachfront wedding was absolutely beautiful and even though there were lots of people watching on the beach, the wedding seemed very intimate and was incredibly well done.

-The sushi restaurant and the seafood restaurant (Oceana) were great and had wonderful ambiance with great service.

-The room was beautiful and spacious, with a great bathroom and a large outdoor balcony with a hot tub. The beds were also incredibly comfortable and probably caused us to spend more time in bed than we originally planned on :-)

-The entertainment team did a great job and the Titanic number at the end of the pool show on Thursday was definitely unforgettable.

-The courtyards at both resorts were nice gathering spots at the end of the day and were nice for conversation when there wasn't a loud show going on.

-Unlike some resorts, there were plenty of spots where you could duck in and get some air conditioning such as the lobbies and some of the bars.

CONS:

-Upon our arrival at the resort we were totally confused by the bellman process (they hold your bags while you check in then you have to go back to walk with the bellman to have your bags delivered). I either want my bags delivered to my room without me having to worry about it at all or I want to take my bags myself. We were also hit up for more tips by the bellman who told us our tip wasn't enough. That's totally tacky and if I didn't fear having my room trashed while we were away I would have reported him. This put a bad taste in our mouths right at the very beginning of the trip.

-The NOW resort next door is nicer, in my opinion, than the Secrets resort and had more options around the pool and in terms of entertainment than Secrets did. The lobby of the NOW side was also much nicer and more entertaining in the evening than the Secrets side. I didn't see any of the rooms at NOW, but I have a feeling we paid a premium for the "adults only" aspect of the reosrt, and for access to both resorts.

-I would break down the service levels at the resorts to 80% mediocre, 10% excellent, and 10% downright awful. Many of the staff members begrudgingly acknowledged your presence or seemed to be put off by your requests. They also seemed to be VERY hesitant to go out of the way for any "special requests". I've never heard the word NO so much at any resort I've been to and I was definitely not the only person voicing this concern.

-The dress codes in the restaurants are overly restrictive. In the heat of the summer, a nice pair of dress shorts and a polo or button down shirt is considered "dress attire" and was definitely nicer than some of the "acceptable" clothes I saw people wearing in restaurants. To put it this way, I saw a gentleman wearing warmup pants and tennis shoes in one restaurant and this was considered "acceptable" whereas a nice pair of shorts and a polo short would have landed me outside with the "steerage".

-The pool is very large and meandering, but there are VERY few chairs around the pool at Secrets. The now side has tons of loungers and theirs are nicer, but the sprawling nature of the Secrets pool has severely limited the number of lounge chairs available, especially lounge chairs in the sun. I would be very confident saying that 75% of the lounge chairs at Secrets are located under some form of shade. Great when you're married to a ginger, like I am, but a lot of people come to the DR for the sun.

-The wait staff at the breakfast buffet was pretty horrid. You were incredibly lucky if you got a refill of coffee without tracking someone down, who then gave you a dirty look. Orange juice (rarely cold) was the drink of choice at the resort and don't even think about asking for a Diet Coke (Coca-Cola Light) or some other drink that would require any effort to obtain. Another experience where we were regularly told NO outright or promised something that never came.

-There is a certain level of segregation at Secrets that is pretty disturbing and is something I haven't encountered much of in Mexico. There is a "Preferred" side at Secrets which has their own separate pool, separate bar, separate restaurants, etc. They even had a guard at the NOW entrance standing there at a door that said PREFERRED making sure the riff raff stayed out. I definitely did not get this resort at a bargain and I'll be damned if I was going to be shelling out $90/day to be treated the way I should have been treated in the first place.

-The sprawling nature of the resort also means that your chances of getting a view of the ocean is slim to none. This didn't bother me much because we weren't in the room much, but don't go in with high hopes of an ocean view or even a pool view room unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks.

Please don't let this review seem like I hated every aspect of this trip, because much of it was wonderful. I enjoyed spending a week with my partner and our friends, but the cons of this resort definitely outweighed the pros. I'll be returning to my beloved Mexico for my next trip and will not be recommending this property to people looking for a resort in the DR, but I will bring back good memories of the experience I had there with people I love.

7  Thank Illinifan08

Dear Illinifan08
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments to us regarding your stay. We were concerned to learn we did not completely fulfil your expectations and we deeply regret the inconveniences you encountered.
As a service oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfil, but also surpass our guest's expectations; therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest's experiences play a key role in this continuous process.
Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

After spending the first 4 nights of our vacation at the Hard Rock my wife and I moved to Secrets for the second half of our trip. This was a planned move and a good one. I really love the smaller resort feel and Secrets Royal Beach was just that.
The room was great. We got lucky and ended up in a corner room on the top floor. Unlike a lot of other resorts any room is close to everything.
The food was average to good, but I don't ever expect to much out of an all inclusive. We really liked the grill on the beach for lunch or just an afternoon snack. The sushi was pretty good as well.
The entertainment team was great. Milky Way and Akon were two of the best I have ever encountered. Everyday they were on the beach leading different activities and did it well. As far as evening entertainment goes it is limited. You do have the option to walk over to the Now and enjoy their entertainment.
The beach was not great, but was nice. They work hard to keep it clean and free of seaweed. We never had any problem finding a chair on the beach unless you want a palapa. If you want one plan an being on the beach by 8:00 to get one. The pool was about the same. The bar service at the pool and beach were excellent. They really work hard taking care of you.
We did not have any spa appointments, but did use the gym. It was probably the most disappointing thing at the resort. So, not really a big deal.
Overall I would definently recommend this resort. I have never had a bad experience at any Secrets resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zwpreston

Dear zwpreston:
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We loved secrets for our honeymoon! Beautiful beach, room was nice, although would have preferred a tub in the room, food was great for an ai. Entertainment staff was great! Everyone is so friendly and helpful! Some to note: Nelson at the barefoot grill, jeffrey at preferred pool, jacqui at preferred club, bell boy with braces at the front lobby, main pool waiters (dont know their names!) entertainment peeps!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank 57919Kidd22

Dear 57919Kidd22

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just returned from this resort, the best I've been to so far. The resort is beautiful, impeccably maintained. The staff are very friendly and polite. The entertainment staff is excellent. The food was of high quality with a variety of restaurants to enjoy, the drinks were flowing endlessly. The room was spacious and the bedding was very comfortable. The beach is large, the water clean with no rocks or shells to walk on as you enter the water. There were many activities during the day if you choose to participate; the pool scene rocked in the afternoons. The entertainment was very enjoyable. I recommend this resort highly. Charlie Brown from the entertainment staff, as well as Fidel and Akon were great.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the first floor poolside you can walk right out your door and jump into the win...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chara C

Dear Chara C

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I have never been to Punta Cana before and Secrets Royal was suggested to us by our travel agent. We were so impressed with the resort. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The pool side and beach side service was amazing. You were never without a drink. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The restaurants served delicious food, if the portions a little small at times. We really liked that it was adults only as the atmosphere was quieter. There were plenty of activities to join in during the day and good entertainment at night. We would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: We chose the Garden View room with the honeymoon package. It was first floor so everyone walked past...
2  Thank Rachel S

Dear Rachel S
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, in our hotel we are honored to have customers like you thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay!
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and on your name we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
We look forward to seeing you again
Cordially